Food Lion entering GV market

gs3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville's first Super Bi-Lo will be its existing Milestone Plaza on Pelham Road store. The former CVS and Hallmark spaces are being cleared out. The pharmacy and health and beauty care departments will move down to that end; the pharmacy will have a drive through window.

Bi-Lo's returning to Laurens Road around the Motor Mile area. An exact location is not yet announced. As they currently own the Burlington Coat Factory plaza, it is likely the lease will not be renewed. BCF and the former Office Max would be razed to make room for a new store.

Thanks BoDragon. :thumbsup: Great to see Bi-Lo returning to Laurens Road....smart move with Verdae underway. Will the Laurens Road store be a Super Bi-Lo?

I'm unsure about that. The only things a Super Bi-Lo offer are a sushi bar, a photo processing laboratory, dry cleaners and a Starbuck's. Wellspot is possible, but they are still in a test run period. These can be slight additions to existing stores without having to become a Super Bi-Lo.

Super Bi-Lo stores are not that much larger than some existing ones. The Village at Sandhill store in Columbia has slightly over 60,000 square feet, approximately the same size as the Roper Mountain Road Bi-Lo.

I am interested to know how long it will remain clean, being located so close to a low-class neighborhood. Now I really understand why Bi-Lo did so much upgrading to their store across the street. :thumbsup:

Store cleanliness is more tied to the combination of the age of the building's interior, the store's financial success, and store/building management than proximity to a neighborhood that is of a lower economic class. Some of that is related to the local neighborhood, but considering that this is the Bloom that would target the Augusta Rd crowd, it should be fine, financially.

Store cleanliness is more tied to the combination of the age of the building's interior, the store's financial success, and store/building management than proximity to a neighborhood that is of a lower economic class. Some of that is related to the local neighborhood, but considering that this is the Bloom that would target the Augusta Rd crowd, it should be fine, financially.

That is true, but I remember how the technologically-advanced Bi-Lo across the street failed in its attempts to retain a clean appearance. Obviously every store wears with age, but many become downright dirty because of the surrounding neighborhood.

That is true, but I remember how the technologically-advanced Bi-Lo across the street failed in its attempts to retain a clean appearance. Obviously every store wears with age, but many become downright dirty because of the surrounding neighborhood.

Bi-Lo is a different situation though, as the Bi-Lo nearby is one of three that is accessible to the affluent folks in the area.

This Bloom should do well, as Publix doesn't have good access to the area. At least until McBee Station is completed. But I'm not sure I would call that "good access" for Publix.

I think a good place for a bloom store to go would be where that old Winn Dixie is in Traveler's Rest next to the Hampton Inn.

If Food Lion opens a store in TR, it would most likely be a Food Lion and not a Bloom. It would be like the Food Lion in Lyman that just recently opened. The Food Lion being built in Roebuck at the intersection of 221/215 near Dorman High School will be almost identical to the one in Lyman as well.

Looks like the Washington, DC will join Charlotte and Greenville as the 3rd market for high end Bloom stores.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/washingt...03/daily15.html

There will be approximately 40 stores in the DC area and they will all be remodels and not new stores.

Welcome to UrbanPlanet.org, turkeycreek! Great info and great to have another voice in these discussions. :D

Thanks! Food Lion did some market research and found out that stores that do the best are either the low-end or discount stores and the higher end stores. The middle of the road stores dont do as well as there is so much competition.

Thus, they are focusing on their new discount stores (called Bottom Dollar) and their higher end the Bloom stores. There are 4 Bottom Dollar stores in NC. Three of these opened in late '05 and one earlier this year. They are also remodeling 15 Food Lion's into the Bottom Dollar concept in the DC area. The first three opened about 10 days ago. Most of their new stores will be like the store in Lyman, except for the new stores in the Greenville area.

Food Lion is a very aggresive chain.

That is very interesting! It kind of reminds me of the Bi-Lo building-craze of the late 90's and early 2000's. I really hope the Bloom concept catches on and stays here in Greenville and the Upstate. It would be nice to have the bar raised to the next level across the board regarding grocery shopping. :shades:

That is very interesting! It kind of reminds me of the Bi-Lo building-craze of the late 90's and early 2000's. I really hope the Bloom concept catches on and stays here in Greenville and the Upstate. It would be nice to have the bar raised to the next level across the board regarding grocery shopping. :shades:

Bloom is here to stay in the upstate and it will expand in SC. Since being bought, BI-LO is now finally spending some money after a couple of years of not doing anything. They are remodeling alot of the stores in Greenville with new decor. The new decor will match the decor that is in the Simpsonville store on Fairview road. I know one is in Powdersville, one near the Greenville Hospital and one in Simpsonville.

Bloom is here to stay in the upstate and it will expand in SC. Since being bought, BI-LO is now finally spending some money after a couple of years of not doing anything. They are remodeling alot of the stores in Greenville with new decor. The new decor will match the decor that is in the Simpsonville store on Fairview road. I know one is in Powdersville, one near the Greenville Hospital and one in Simpsonville.

I really enjoy the TVs throughout the Powdersville Bi-Lo, whenever I am over there. That is a great idea - news and weather updates, plus what is on sale throughout the store.

It looks like they are building another bloom on bridges rd next to the charter campus.

It looks like they are building another bloom on bridges rd next to the charter campus.
Yep. I drive by there all the time. The reference to that Bloom is buried deep within this forum. I stumbled upon it a month, maybe two, ago. I never figured that site for a supermarket...er concept grocery, so it was a mystery to me what was going up there. I figured some spec office, but then no windows. Then I figured it was flex-space for some foreign manufacturing equipment company's U.S. sales office. Who'd a thunk it was a grocery?

Well if Food Lion still associates Andy Griffith with the Carolinas, we're all in trouble! It's just insulting! That would be like Safeway in California playing the Brady Bunch theme song! :rofl:

I dont think Food Lion is associating themsleves with Andy Griffith, but rather the theme and identity of the show. The show was all about neighborhood and family and that's what FL is trying to convey.

It's not intended to be derogatory. If you go to the store in Lyman, you will see what I mean. All of the department call outs are wallpaper. If you remember seeing a washed-out Coke logo on the side of a brick building, its kinda like that. If you have a chance, go to the store in Lyman and you should should what I am trying to explain, although rather poorly. It is a 24 hours store.

What are the other Bloom locations? I know there is one under construction on Highway 14 near Pelham. Aren't there a couple more?

There is one going at Wade Hampton and Buncombe Road before you get to Ryans, one in Mauldin, Highway and Simpsonville. They are all scheduled to open around October. The store in Mauldin is a little smaller than the other three

I dont think Food Lion is associating themsleves with Andy Griffith, but rather the theme and identity of the show. The show was all about neighborhood and family and that's what FL is trying to convey.

It's not intended to be derogatory. If you go to the store in Lyman, you will see what I mean. All of the department call outs are wallpaper. If you remember seeing a washed-out Coke logo on the side of a brick building, its kinda like that. If you have a chance, go to the store in Lyman and you should should what I am trying to explain, although rather poorly. It is a 24 hours store.

I just clicked on the Food Lion link and didn't get the Andy Griffith music this time. Back in November when you clicked on Food Lion they played the theme song. Your explanation of family and neighborhood makes great sense. The theme song, IMO, pushed that theme a little too far. Being a Southerner, I have an "Earnest T Bass" in my family tree. :P Try to keep my distance. The theme song brings those images to light a little too much. The decor of the store you describe sounds well thought out. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bloom's marketing, I find very smart....very appealing. Has a wit about it. The shopping cart turned baby stroller with the Bloom blue sun shade and the new store opening "birth announcements".....cute, catchy, smart.

There is one going at Wade Hampton and Buncombe Road before you get to Ryans, one in Mauldin, Highway and Simpsonville. They are all scheduled to open around October. The store in Mauldin is a little smaller than the other three

Thanks!

Archived