Food Lion entering GV market

gs3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloom was a concept they have been testing here in Charlotte for the past year and a half. If you do a search, there is a thread I started here where about my visit to the first day opening of the first Bloom store on Harris Blvd. It was a purpose built Bloom and has met mixed success. People are not sure they need all the computer technology to go an buy some beer and potato chips.

Foodlion is also testing something called a Freshlook Foodlion of which there are a couple here in the Lake Norman area. This is basically a high end store which is designed to appeal to a more upscale crowd which would normally shop at Harris Teeter and Lowes (Lowes is an upscale grocery chain here in NC that is distantly related to Lowes home improvement). They are also testing a new architecture where there is a quite funky looking Foodlion located in Indian Trail, SC. (this is just across the state line in Lancaster county)

In both cases, unfortunately IMO Foodlion still has problems with implementation. They are having a hard time getting past their bread and butter business of being a low end grocer. That means that service is usually not that good, the employees don't act professional, and the stores don't seem to be as clean and well ordered as Harris Teeter and Lowes. This makes the experience of shopping in Bloom and the Freshlook places less than it could be.

I don't think they have any choice but to keep trying as Walmart and Target are going to kill them on the low end and they have to do something to differentiate themselves. Foodlion's base of operations for these changes and their technology center are located in Salisbury, NC.

I'm skeptical about their choice to locate at the 291-Augusta Road interchange. That area is in need of revitalization (IMO) and the average customer at the Bi-Lo across the street is not what I would think Bloom might typically target. That Bi-Lo tried the electronic shopping carts and info centers several years ago, but they didn't last long because of misuse and crime. :unsure:

In both cases, unfortunately IMO Foodlion still has problems with implementation. They are having a hard time getting past their bread and butter business of being a low end grocer. That means that service is usually not that good, the employees don't act professional, and the stores don't seem to be as clean and well ordered as Harris Teeter and Lowes. This makes the experience of shopping in Bloom and the Freshlook places less than it could be.

The staff at the Bloom I was in when in Charlotte seemed good. If they do have inferior customer service though, they won't make it the Upstate against Publix. Publix customer service is outstanding!

btoy mentioned a truck terminal being torn down. I can't place where that is. I'll have to look next time I'm through there. What came to mind when I first heard it was the old Batesville Mill/Fatz Cafe site. :dontknow:

On HWY 14 Behind the shopping center that runs next to the Cemetary next to Pelham Falls, Acrross 14 from First Savers Bank.

On HWY 14 Behind the shopping center that runs next to the Cemetary next to Pelham Falls, Acrross 14 from First Savers Bank.

I know exactly where you're refering to and this will be an excellent location for a new Bloom supermarket. There are so many large and wealthy subdivisions within a couple of minutes from there, no to mention the fact that Pelham-Batesville is a main thoroughfare for business travelers. :thumbsup:

It is also interesting that Harris Teeter didn't last very long at the Mauldin Road-Pleasantburg Drive interchange, again just across from the same Bi-Lo and in the same neighborhood. That was a nice store, but they severely lacked adequate parking on that location.

Harris Teeter did well there I thought. Didn't they go out of business because Bilo bought most of their SC stores? Another upscale grocery in the area would be great. I think the Augusta/291 location is too far out. The Augusta Rd crowd doesn't want to shop at the Bilo on Pleasantburg-- they need a store, one more convienient than Publix on Pleasantburg and they'd would do quite well I'm sure.

Harris Teeter did well there I thought. Didn't they go out of business because Bilo bought most of their SC stores? Another upscale grocery in the area would be great. I think the Augusta/291 location is too far out. The Augusta Rd crowd doesn't want to shop at the Bilo on Pleasantburg-- they need a store, one more convienient than Publix on Pleasantburg and they'd would do quite well I'm sure.

^ I agree. Judging from the amount of Range Rovers on any given weekend at the Home Depot across the street, the Augusta Road crowd definitely frequents this area. They've simply never gone in this Bi-Lo because it's old and run down. Bloom in this location, may do well. It'll give the Augusta Road a place to shop.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Checked out the grand opening of the first Bloom this morning and WOW.....impressive! :thumbsup: Every visual and tangible cue was dead on.....a very well thought out, fun, shopping experience.

Here are some initial observations:

The store seems geared more toward a broader population than a Whole Foods, Earth fare or Fresh Market. It was like a merger of the above high end markets, meshed with your day in, day out grocery stores, with excellent techie features in a very clean, well laid out, modern, fun to shop store....with hints of its European ownership that popped up frequently. Felt much like some modern markets in Amsterdam, Brussels, etc. The Delhaize ownership is evident.

This store has a much better selection of merchandise than (sad to say, even my beloved Publix), but not as high end as Whole Foods. The prices were in line with Bi-Lo......I would shop here daily. What simply bowled me over was the layout and the tech gadgets. The layout, while it may confuse some (probably the elderly, traditional grocery store shopper), was simply amazingly easy to navigate. Things made sense. The ergonomics were great....kind of like the switches on an Audi vs a GM. The tech goodies were too numerous to name....the fact that you can scan as you go and simply walk out the door when you're done....fantastic! :thumbsup: I used the self check out, and it has to be the easiest ever, much more logical and user friendly than the ones at Whole Foods or Bi-Lo or Ingles.

When Whole Foods opened, I had an expectation from visits in other cities and they met that expectation. Wasn't so sure about Bloom, but man....it left a very positive impression! They just seem to have all their ducks in a row.....kind of like a Target but for groceries.

Check it out guys! I give it an A plus! Greenville has another winner!

Checked out the grand opening of the first Bloom this morning and WOW.....impressive! Every visual and tangible cue was dead on.....a very well thought out, fun, shopping experience.

Here are some initial observations:

The store seems geared more toward a broader population than a Whole Foods, Earth fare or Fresh Market. It was like a merger of the above high end markets, meshed with your day in, day out grocery stores, with excellent techie features in a very clean, well laid out, modern, fun to shop store....with hints of its European ownership that popped up frequently. Felt much like some modern markets in Amsterdam, Brussels, etc. The Delhaize ownership is evident.

This store has a much better selection of merchandise than (sad to say, even my beloved Publix), but not as high end as Whole Foods. The prices were in line with Bi-Lo......I would shop here daily. What simply bowled me over was the layout and the tech gadgets. The layout, while it may confuse some (probably the elderly, traditional grocery store shopper), was simply amazingly easy to navigate. Things made sense. The ergonomics were great....kind of like the switches on an Audi vs a GM. The tech goodies were too numerous to name....the fact that you can scan as you go and simply walk out the door when you're done....fantastic! I used the self check out, and it has to be the easiest ever, much more logical and user friendly than the ones at Whole Foods or Bi-Lo or Ingles.

When Whole Foods opened, I had an expectation from visits in other cities and they met that expectation. Wasn't so sure about Bloom, but man....it left a very positive impression! They just seem to have all their ducks in a row.....kind of like a Target but for groceries.

Check it out guys! I give it an A plus! Greenville has another winner!

As a result of your post, gsupstate, I'll be checking it out today! :D Personally, I don't see any store surpassing the Greenville Whole Foods Market, but this does sound quite intriguing. Better than my beloved Publix on Pelham!? Are you crazy? :lol: I'll reserve judgement until I've been there and later today I'll get back with you. :thumbsup:

What simply bowled me over was the layout and the tech gadgets. The layout, while it may confuse some (probably the elderly, traditional grocery store shopper), was simply amazingly easy to navigate. Things made sense.

Here's the layout for the Pleasantburg store. They have all the store layouts on-line at www.shopbloom.com.

One of the things I would do if I owned a grocery story or managed one would be to create a coupon folio that was organized like my store. So shoppers would put their coupons into my store's folio and then the easiest way to shop would be for the shopper to come to my store.

Anyway, I digress...so without further ado:

floorplan2700.jpg

EDIT: Added a hyperlink where I mention Bloom's web site.

Well I checked it out and was absolutely impressed! Gsupstate pretty much summed the store up perfectly, except he didn't tell how many people would be there today. I had to park way back on the upper entrance, next to Pleasantburg Drive! The store interior design reminds me of Whole Foods, but the fare is a mixture of all of our local grocery stores. I am interested to know how long it will remain clean, being located so close to a low-class neighborhood. Now I really understand why Bi-Lo did so much upgrading to their store across the street. :thumbsup:

Well I checked it out and was absolutely impressed! Gsupstate pretty much summed the store up perfectly, except he didn't tell how many people would be there today. I had to park way back on the upper entrance, next to Pleasantburg Drive! The store interior design reminds me of Whole Foods, but the fare is a mixture of all of our local grocery stores. I am interested to know how long it will remain clean, being located so close to a low-class neighborhood. Now I really understand why Bi-Lo did so much upgrading to their store across the street. :thumbsup:

Man, I didn't go to Bloom today, but I went to Home Depot across the street and I was AMAZED by the people at Bloom. Parking on the grass and everywhere. Hopefully this will be a good thing to help the area. It already has in some ways, like fixing up of the Bilo. Well, here's to you, Bloom! Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I am interested to know how long it will remain clean, being located so close to a low-class neighborhood.

Good point. Does the Parkins Mill crowd still shop in that area, or do they go to other grocery stores? The old Bi-Lo and then the Harris-Teeter there did well with less "low-class" people who lived slightly further away.

Good point. Does the Parkins Mill crowd still shop in that area, or do they go to other grocery stores? The old Bi-Lo and then the Harris-Teeter there did well with less "low-class" people who lived slightly further away.

It will be interesting to see where the people from the Parkins Mill Rd area will shop. They typically hit up the Publix right now, but this could draw some away from there. I kind of doubt it though, the Publix is way to convienient being a few blocks behind Parkins Mill Rd... Hmm. I could definitely see the Augusta Rd crowd keeping this place hopping though. It will be closer than Publix and they really won't have a closer option than this store... Until more stores open downtown.

Also the Parkins Mill crowd will have a Super Bilo soon to shop at... I hope that Publix can stay around!

Good point about the cleanliness. It will be interesting to see if the Augusta Road / Parkins Mill crowd frequent here. I think the ease of shopping with that store will draw them in. If not, there will always be the Bloom stores on Bridges Road and Highway 14/Batesville which are both surrounded by strong upper income demographics.

Also the Parkins Mill crowd will have a Super Bilo soon to shop at... I hope that Publix can stay around!

GvilleSC, where is a Super Bilo opening in relation to Parkins Mill? Is this one of your secrets? :P

GvilleSC, where is a Super Bilo opening in relation to Parkins Mill? Is this one of your secrets? :P

Greenville's first Super Bi-Lo will be its existing Milestone Plaza on Pelham Road store. The former CVS and Hallmark spaces are being cleared out. The pharmacy and health and beauty care departments will move down to that end; the pharmacy will have a drive through window.

Bi-Lo's returning to Laurens Road around the Motor Mile area. An exact location is not yet announced. As they currently own the Burlington Coat Factory plaza, it is likely the lease will not be renewed. BCF and the former Office Max would be razed to make room for a new store.

I hear that it's closer to 85... :whistling:

It woud make more sense, especially if it is located at Verdae Marketfair with Verade getting ready to boom. The logical space would be the vacant Service Merchandise, whose 55,000 square feet should be enough to easily convert into a supermarket. Since nothing is exact yet, that leaves more time to find out.

Archived