Food Lion entering GV market

gs3

I don't get it.......what's wrong with the Andy Griffith Show?

I was raised watching that show...it's a freakin' classic

please don't give me that "it makes the southerners look bad" thing. I believe the slack-jawed yokels

that get interviewed on the news and all the idiots with terrible hick accents that show up on American Idol and the like give the area a worse name than the Andy Griffith show. I'm sorry but anybody that thinks that

show is derogatory of the south is a llittle too sensitive....I'm more pissed off about Larry The Cable Guy who is not from the south, not a redneck and has no southeren accent but rather is well educated and playing a bit part that makes fun of southerners and people from this area just eat it up and plaster their cars and wardrobe with Git-r-done slogans in support of a guy who is not only making fun of them but getting rich off their money in the process.

sorry for the rant...i kinda got carried away.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry the Cable Guy is simply a redneck. The people they interview on the news after a tragedy are also usually rednecks. The Andy Griffith Show is not redneck, but it very small-town Southern. It is also very old fashioned. That doesn't make it a bad show (in fact, I appreciate it's wholesome quality). However, that doesn't mean we want it associated with our CURRENT South. I don't, anyway.

Off topic for a Food Lion thread, I guess, but seems we would be a lot poorer and much less wise for rejecting the wholesome, old fashioned, small town image of the South presented in the Andy Griffith show and things like it.

It would be preferable to many other tried and failed attempts to replace it, that's for sure. Course I have a soft spot for the Agrarian movement of the South, but again, this is a Food Lion thread... :D

Andy Griffith is a classic and has values I definitely respect, no doubt about that. :thumbsup: In the context of a marketing campaign for a store however, the image it portrays of the South is from another period and much like Gone With The Wind, neither are representative images of the South in 2006, IMO.

Andy Griffith is a classic and has values I definitely respect, no doubt about that. :thumbsup: In the context of a marketing campaign for a store however, the image it portrays of the South is from another period and much like Gone With The Wind, neither are representative images of the South in 2006, IMO.

I think if someone just goes to the Food Lion store in Lyman, just pass the BI-LO on the right, then you will understand what I was referring to. Its a different store, but a very nice store too. There is a lot of trellis work overhead as well. Please let me know what you think.

Archived