City Walk

vdogg

Not much to put in here yet, but an announcement should be coming shortly. They have given us a few more details in todays article about Whole foods.

Some excerpts:

"Divaris said construction on the multiuse development at Independence and Virginia Beach is expected to start sometime early next year. The project, tentatively called

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am excited about this too. And by the time the Westin is completed it will most surely be filled so who knows how tall some of these residential towers will be. I can't wait for construction to take new pics and such.

What surprises me is how soon they're planning on starting construction. Has it even been through the planning commission yet? I'm gonna have to check and see what documents I can find.

the VB downtown is really turning into a collection of 2-3 story urban buildings and showcased towers.

It should be a great walking downtown with crappy driving and no real transportation options.

A great combination. no seriously, I am really happy about all these changes. I do sense future problems for the city with these choices, but that is 20-30 years away.

So far I think it is a pretty good mix of heights-

1 story block at Columbus condo entrance

2 story Bravo! block and Plaza

2 story Towne Bank building

2 story Dick's Sporting Goods

3 story Cheesecake block

4 story Performing Arts Center (soon)

7 story Hilton Gardens hotel

11 story BOA tower

14 story Cosmopolitan

23 story A/H tower

38 story Westin (soon)

...but, I think the more they consolidate to taller buildings the better. Why go out when you can go up!

So far I think it is a pretty good mix of heights-

1 story block at Columbus condo entrance

2 story Bravo! block and Plaza

2 story Towne Bank building

2 story Dick's Sporting Goods

3 story Cheesecake block

4 story Performing Arts Center (soon)

7 story Hilton Gardens hotel

11 story BOA tower

14 story Cosmopolitan

23 story A/H tower

38 story Westin (soon)

...but, I think the more they consolidate to taller buildings the better. Why go out when you can go up!

I have a feeling that on this project... they will most-certainly go up. I'm thinking mostly in the range of the Cosmopolitan to A/H heights with the 2-3 story retail in the first levels or in wrap-around style buildings. I wish they'd release some renderings... but as the saying goes... "good things come to those who wait".

I have a feeling we will all be surprised when this project is announced. And due to the overwhelming demand at TC this project could go higher.. that's my hope anyway. :blush:

Anything over 20 can only compliment the skyline. :) I used to dream of being an architect or urban planner... so everytime it's time to wait for a rendering I get really anxious and try to form pictures of the projects in my head....

And I have one heck of a picture in mind for this one.

I have a good source that told me one tower will be 15 stories and another one possibly 20+ in the city walk development.

Sounds about right from what I was expecting. He said one mid-rise and some high-rise towers. I hope the high rise is in the first phase. Keep in mind that they also expect to start construction on the 23 story 2nd office tower in the 2nd to 3rd quarter of 2006. We will likely see both these towers rise at the same time which should be pretty neat. Add in the 15-story city view apt building, which is supposed to start in summer of 2006 and we will have 4 15 story and up towers under construction next year with at least as many tower cranes. :D Va. Beach is really gonna start looking like a city within the next year or so. :)

I wonder about how many units that would equate to? This project is gonna be huge.

Well with 450 total units you'll probably either see 150 in the short one and 300 in the tall (remember, Granby Tower is 311). Or a more even split like 200 in the short and 250 in the tall. Just guessing but it seems like it might be something along those lines.

The reason I asked is I recall reading somewhere where ultimately they hope to have 5k people working and living in the CBD. I wonder how much more we have to go. City Walk, City View plus the old FX project will definitely help a lot towards that goal.

The reason I asked is I recall reading somewhere where ultimately they hope to have 5k people working and living in the CBD. I wonder how much more we have to go. City Walk, City View plus the old FX project will definitely help a lot towards that goal.

Did they have a time frame of when they wanted to see that many people there? I don't think Norfolk has that.

Did they have a time frame of when they wanted to see that many people there? I don't think Norfolk has that.

I may have read this from an old TC brochure or something but no time frame was given. I would imagine there are already quite a few people working in the area so probably the biggest component would be the housing which is up and coming.

I have been thinking the area would really benefit from some type of farmer's market but I am not sure if City View would be the location. I realize we have one located on Princess Anne but not everyone lives over that way. Having a more centralized place like the CBD would be ideal I would think. It wouldn't have to be terribly large but somewhere to buy local fresh produce, flowers and such. Also, I think a bakery/coffee shop (not Starbucks though I do like them) would also be ideal. A place to come and buy fresh pasteries, cookies and the like. Perhaps build City View more like a village than just another urban infill. My idea is to have a place where the locals come together that has a true sense of identity and community.

I have been thinking the area would really benefit from some type of farmer's market but I am not sure if City View would be the location. I realize we have one located on Princess Anne but not everyone lives over that way. Having a more centralized place like the CBD would be ideal I would think. It wouldn't have to be terribly large but somewhere to buy local fresh produce, flowers and such. Also, I think a bakery/coffee shop (not Starbucks though I do like them) would also be ideal. A place to come and buy fresh pasteries, cookies and the like.

I was thinking Norfolk needs something like that! Hopefully the GW Marketplace will help with that. I think Vabeach will have to grow a little more before something like that comes out there.

Perhaps but now is the time while the land is available. I appreciate TC but I think something more intimate as what I described could be a big hit. Think some brick buildings with small shops for the bakery, farmer's market intertwined with the larger condo towers.

Perhaps but now is the time while the land is available. I appreciate TC but I think something more intimate as what I described could be a big hit. Think some brick buildings with small shops for the bakery, farmer's market intertwined with the larger condo towers.

I wasn't saying I didn't want it there but you have to have the demand and need heavy foot traffic to be successful

Archived