City Walk

vdogg

I just noticed that building is actually across the street from City Walk. You were saying earlier something about a hotel but this site is pretty small. But perhaps they may develop this small site along with the old Kroger store as one development.

Never mind. I see this the entry way into the plaza and not that street that cuts though.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow, that didn't take long! :yahoo:

I wonder what is next.. and when? We really need some answers here!!

My question it what lit the fire under this project? If you recall it has now gone from an unsure thing that may not start till 08' to an almost 20% increase in component mix across the board, a website being up, renderings released, and now site demolition occuring! :shok: All this without any articles of true significance being put out with this project as a centerpiece. Every mention in the news has always been as a footnote.

I just noticed that building is actually across the street from City Walk. You were saying earlier something about a hotel but this site is pretty small. Now they could be going to develop this small site along with the old Kroger store.

No it is not, that building actually fronts the road that the hotel and 2 towers will be lined up on. In the rendering below the street is called Lexington Avenue. With that building gone, all that is there is a see of parking lot. Officemax and HQ front the street that will come to be called broadway.

41C5A1B9-F755-4B40-90C1-690090487436_or.jpg

heavenly ham sat on where parcel B is.

It looks to me as though they will start on the midrise block as part of the first phase, which makes sense to me. It is hotel with some retail and the lowest risk component of the project. It's also the part where they are least likely to run into significant financing problems.

The street that goes through there now is called Corporation Park Lane which appears will be renamed Lexington Avenue. I guess that name fits a bit better since this site will be mostly residential and retail.

I was wondering if the retailers in City Walk will be as high end as TC. After thinking about how long it has taken TC to get what is has thus far I am thinking perhaps CW's retail will be nice but maybe not as exclusive as TC. It truly is amazing how this project has taken off.

I was noticing also how large block E is which 205k sq feet. I assume this would be one store? A major department store would fit in there nicely.

on the site they list the largest space as "regional center mall" so i'm assuming it'd be something like that. I doubt it would be a true mall though as you've got pembroke right across the street.

And don't forget, they recently added an office component as well. We have no idea how that may fit in to things. At any rate, with all of this going on and article about it can't be too far behind. :unsure:

More observations - on the ground level near the piazza and Delancey Street notice how instead of retail on the bottom and residentail on top it looks like the residential is all on the east side. Hopefully by the time these folks move in they will have a better view than that of the old Kroger store. :wacko:

More observations - on the ground level near the piazza and Delancey Street notice how instead of retail on the bottom and residentail on top it looks like the residential is all on the east side. Hopefully by the time these folks move in they will have a better view than that of the old Kroger store. :wacko:

Well the Westin will be up in all its full glory by then, that's all the view i'd need. :lol:

I was noticing also how large block E is which 205k sq feet. I assume this would be one store? A major department store would fit in there nicely.

That's what I wondered about earlier. With all the talk about Parisian possibly coming and the lack of a large retail space planned for TC in either phase 3 or 4, did the focus switch to City Walk?

That's what I wondered about earlier. With all the talk about Parisian possibly coming and the lack of a large retail space planned for TC in either phase 3 or 4, did the focus switch to City Walk?

It certainly appears that way. To be honest though after the office tower is built next year the TC project as it was originally conceived will have reached build out. Anything else, including the midrise block, will just be icing on the cake. It could also be the developers of City Walk trying to hop on the bandwagon before the market cools down so much that they have to abandon their plans, and are stuck with an ugly strip center. :sick:

You do realize when the TC, City Walk, and City View are finished the owners of all that land for the Pembroke mall might be singing another tune about the future of the mall. That in itself would be a huge leap forward for the city if that got converted into urban blocks. Seeing that the land size is almost TC and City Walk combined.

I was on my way out of town this morning and noticed the west side wall of the old Kroger now has a huge hole in it! Perhaps they are modifying the building or even going to tear it down. If anyone is in that area you may want to take a few pics.. perhaps ask and see what you can dig up. :D

I was on my way out of town this morning and noticed the west side wall of the old Kroger now has a huge hole in it! Perhaps they are modifying the building or even going to tear it down. If anyone is in that area you may want to take a few pics.. perhaps ask and see what you can dig up. :D

Man, I just came back from taking pics. I wish I had seen this first. Maybe i'll try on my next outing.

That buiding is not being modified, it is being torn down. I must admit that the timing is beyond uncanny and cannot be coincidence. This can mean 1 or 2 things.

1) Sifen came back to the table and decided to work with City Walk and hence both are beginning their site work at the same time.

2)The city approved Sifens strip center and he's trying to get his property developed before City Walk opens, probably in hopes of drawing some of the customers his next door neighbors will be.

I really hope it's not the latter, because then we'll be stuck with yet another ugly strip center for years. <_<

Pics in a few.

And such a prime location for an urban development. I really hope other developers have convinced him that how important that site really is to the whole area.

Any online dirty that can be found?

But I am guessing he will build a brand new shiny strip mall that will be a big mistake for that zone.....at least until it is sold to a real developer with bigger ideas.

And such a prime location for an urban development. I really hope other developers have convinced him that how important that site really is to the whole area.

Any online dirty that can be found?

I've scoured high and low. This things about as secretive as a Norfolk hotel project. :lol: I can't even find anything in the planning commission docs.

My curiousity is really getting the best of me. Since they have only some small equipment on site perhaps they are going to try to reuse the building but then maybe larger equipment is on the way.. any thoughts?

Well, they have 3 bull dozers on site with 3 large trash bins. There were also 3 dump trucks lined up off site. I really think they're tearing it down. Heavenly Ham was torn down by one bulldozer. Keep in mind, Sifen filed plans for a strip center. Even if he decides not to work with the City Walk develpers, this building still has to be torn down to develop the property the way he wants to.

So Sifen has gotten the plans to build a strip shopping center okayed by the city?

Don't know. I can find nothing on council or planning commission docs that states such. As of the last pilot article though they stated that he had refiled plans for a "traditional strip center" so who knows. :dontknow:

Archived