Big Box design standards

dubone

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13198390.htm

With the saturation of the suburbs, Big Boxes are now pursuing stores in cities. Developers are more willing, and planners more demanding, so the designs are getting better.

I think this trend will have long term benefits for the communities that get a big box store. The business benefits for the retailers are numerous. There are higher costs of entry for competitors, and in some cases planners stop at just one big box store. Also, the community is more apt to support the store, as it elminates some moral opposition.

The last line in the article is incorrect, though. I think it should read:

"Pineville requires big-box stores to get a rezoning so planners can give them a hug."

Here are the links to the threads for the specific projects mentioned in the article:

What do you guys think of this trend? Will the push for two story big boxes cause developers create conditions for big box development in Davidson and Hunterville?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High volume stores such as Lowes, Target, K-Mart, Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc, as long as they attract consuners, they will build big boxes. They will build what ever they can get by with. It is up to the local govt. to zone and require buildings that can be recycle easy or removed if there is no used.

These type of business, follow the delvelopment wave.

Question is why Wal Mart did not take the old Super K-Mart on Sardis Road North and remodel it to their needs , instead building a new box 1/2 away? K-Mart building has been empty since it closed.

I think so much is built, that not all business can surrive.

South Park Mall area has done a good job as not becoming a dead zone of empty buildings.

South East Charlotte and Matthews this has not happen. Why build new buildings when there are plenty empty buildings that can be used.

Is Kmart still paying rent? Did they have a deed restriction preventing leases to competitors? These types of things are common. It has only been recently that these tactics have been disallowed through agreements during rezoning.

I wonder if a city-wide or state-wide rule could strike down these practices.

I'm fine with big boxes in general, as the business model is simply a replacement for the older large warehouse/smaller store model. The idea is that customers can shop at the warehouse. It cuts down on the resource-intensive processing of moving goods all over. It allows for lower prices, and greater selection.

As long as the negative aspects of this business model, like high vacancies, huge parking lots, and ugly facades are improved, then people will be much less apt to oppose them, which helps their business further.

As the stores act a lot like warehouses, it is very expensive to have two stories. Rooftop parking, however, is a very positive design, because they can keep the internal store costs competitive by keeping it one level, but allows for dramatically less land.

No, Kmart isn't still paying rent. Wal-Mart wanted to start from scratch, they saw the galleria (closer to a more residential side than on the other side of the tracks) as a better oppourtunity. Yes, it would have made sense to take the old Super Kmart though. My question is, if Wal-Mart or Target don't take it, who will? It's so big. I would have liked to have seen it become a Sears Grand store or something

SouthPark's density and income allows it to be an area that won't see empty boxes. Plus, the area doesn't really have a lot of big-box stores if you don't count the mall. You'd either have to drive to South Blvd or Independence for that.

Anyway, yes in the long run this is much better. It's horrible seeing all the big empty ugly boxes nowadays.

Archived