Columbus Park Crossing

ATLman1

Anyone anything about CarMax opening in Columbus. I noticed in the newspaper that two real estate transactions had taken place for roughly $3.5 million with the land being sold to CarMax. I'll have to find the addresses again, but it seems as though one was on Veterans Parkway and the other mentioned Adams Farm or Adams Park or something like that. Wasn't Columbus Park Crossing built on land that used to be Adams Farm?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone anything about CarMax opening in Columbus. I noticed in the newspaper that two real estate transactions had taken place for roughly $3.5 million with the land being sold to CarMax. I'll have to find the addresses again, but it seems as though one was on Veterans Parkway and the other mentioned Adams Farm or Adams Park or something like that. Wasn't Columbus Park Crossing built on land that used to be Adams Farm?

That would be awesome if it is true! Definitely try to find the address. All of CPC is Adams Farms. Not sure where they would build something that large in there, but I guess it is possible. Keep me posted on what you find out!

The real estate transactions were reported in the L-E on Friday, September 9, 2011 for the period August 8 - 17. The first one stated, "Veterans West LLC to CarMax Auto Superstores, Inc.; map and parcel 189-017-026, plat book 157, page 114, deed book 10349, page 49. $3,007,000.00." The second transaction was listed as, "Adams Properties of Columbus, Inc. to CarMax Auto Superstores, LLC, map and parcel 189-017-027, 028, 029, 030, 031, and 032; plat book 105, page 67; deed book 10349, page 52. $592.960." So, as you can see, there was no 'address' listed, but it appears as though it puts it in the area of CPC. Can't imagine where this area is unless there are existing buildings on the properties that would have to come down. If anyone knows, it would be interesting to find out where and what their plans are. I looked on the CarMax website this weekend and although it appears a little out of date, it doesn't indicate that Columbus is among the cities where they plan to build. They have several outlets in metro Atlanta and one in Augusta. I guess Columbus would be the third city in Georgia to have one.

Also, it looks as though machinery has been moved into place across from North Highland Church. I've heard a couple of things for those properties, but don't know which is correct. One said it is a small strip shopping center. That would be a surprise because the one on Veterans next to Columbus Motors is still not full and has been there a while. I've also heard that a hotel is going in that area, possibly across from HomeTowne Suites. Anybody know? One more question - the building going up next to Arby's across from Sam's Club is Longhorns, I think. There is work going on between that building and TGI Fridays. Is that just land prep for drainage or is there something else going up there?

Also, it looks as though machinery has been moved into place across from North Highland Church. I've heard a couple of things for those properties, but don't know which is correct. One said it is a small strip shopping center. That would be a surprise because the one on Veterans next to Columbus Motors is still not full and has been there a while. I've also heard that a hotel is going in that area, possibly across from HomeTowne Suites. Anybody know? One more question - the building going up next to Arby's across from Sam's Club is Longhorns, I think. There is work going on between that building and TGI Fridays. Is that just land prep for drainage or is there something else going up there?

Both of your sources were wrong on this account, it is going to be KIA Autosport, they bought the land for about $1.5 million a few weeks ago and they're looking for contractors now. They will take up most of the land, leaving room for 2 out parsals. Plans: http://grab.by/aSKz

Also, the building that is going up right now next to Arby's is a small strip center. The land next to TGI Fridays is going to be Longhorn, they are looking for contractors as well right now. Plans: http://grab.by/aSKK

As far as CarMax goes, I would guess that if they're going to put a store in Columbus they would put it on (1) the land next to the Kia Autosport land (2) on the land next the Hotel next to North Highland OR maybe Ben Carter sold out and Adams is selling the Columbus Park expansion next to Kohls and they're going to develop that land?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Noticed a sign in front of Hobby Lobby identifying it as the location of Jim Bobs. Also, looks like construction on Veterans near CPC. Is that Chicken Salad Chicks? Construction next to Kia as well, but no sign indicating what for. And last, construction started next to Mongo's on Veterans.

Noticed a sign in front of Hobby Lobby identifying it as the location of Jim Bobs. Also, looks like construction on Veterans near CPC. Is that Chicken Salad Chicks? Construction next to Kia as well, but no sign indicating what for. And last, construction started next to Mongo's on Veterans.

Where exactly is the construction on Veterans near CPC? What is it next to?

CarMax should be breaking ground pretty soon next to Advanced Auto Parts.

Jim Bob's comes from Auburn/Opelika area,

Chicken Salad Chick is going in The Landings

Land next to Kia Auto Sport is a Candlewood Suites hotel, last I heard.

That's all I've heard... most exciting thing is the Whittlesey Rd construction... bring it on!

Oh yeah, Woodruff says they're still going to do "Old Town" next to Northside... we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Even though there is a lot of construction - commercial, residential, and infrastruction - going on in Columbus and the Columbus Park Crossing area, this board has remained quiet for a while. Maybe someone can answer the following:

- There is a rumor that p.j.changs is building in Midland. Any truth to that?

- Any more rumors about Costco?

- What happened to the Gander Mountain store announced for Columbus before they built the one in Opelika?

- any truth to the rumor about a Super Target in Midland? I would like that as long as they leave the smaller one here in what is usually referred to as the Target Shopping Center.

Anyone know of anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard much about many of these recently last I heard Costco and Gander Mountain were both looking for sites in the Columbus area. Today it was released that the following new restaruants will be built in the area:

Chipotle Mexican Grille & Panda Express( will be going into a six  tenant shopping center next to Arby's) *construction has already begun

Heuy Luey's Mexican restaurant, Newks Cafe, Cheeseburger Bobby's  Uncle Maddio's Pizza Joint will be going into a new center set to break ground this summer next to the Maclisters Deli on Veterans Parkway.

In addition Candlewood Inn & Suites is nearing completion on a new hotel at the far end of Whittlesey Blvd. near Kia Autosport. 

Jim Bobs also recently opened up next to the Pep Boy's store in front of Ashley Furniture.

In the Shopping Center Campus Spirit moved further up between Rack Room Shoes and Toys'R us/Babies R Us. The area that use to feature sneakers and Campus spirit is being built into a single store front. The building permit on the store shows that it is for Gap Inc.  The rumor I have been hearing is that the store will be a Banana Republic Store. (gaps brands include: The gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, Athleta, and Intermix)

I'll post any other findings I can find about growth in that sector of town as I hear them. If anyone knows exactly which concept Gap Inc will be putting in the strip mall please post it here.

• 2 months later...

For the last few years Columbus and Augusta have battled over the #2 and #3 cities in size in Georgia. For years, those of us who lived in north Georgia then wondered why anyone would live across the river from Alabama in the village on the cul-de-sac. When we began to find out, we were happy to see Columbus emerge as the second largest city in the state. Then, the little upstart town on the Savannah River exploded in growth with a MSSA population almost doubling that of Columbus. Things then switched back toward Columbus' favor with the BRAC expansion, Kia, NCR, the revitalization of downtown, etc. Augusta finally took down their sign for a Bass Pro Shop in another outdoor shopping area known as Riverwatch. Gander Mountain announced their first Georgia store would be in Columbus. Well, it seems strange that Gander Mountain suddenly built a $9 million store in Opelika and their first Georgia store opened in Valdosta. This week, at a press conference in Augusta, Bass Pro Shop will build in Augusta. Bass Pro Shop has already announced a new store in Emerson, GA. This week, Cabelas announced its first stores in Georgia - Acworth and Augusta. The last time I looked, there were quite a few outdoorsmen in Columbus and points south. Are we still on the way to Panama City and other points along the coast?

Archived