Little Rock skyline pics

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea Aporkalypse. Matt and some of the others seem to have found a number of good pics on the internet so I'll just let them post some of those instead of trying to find any myself. I am going to be visiting family for Thanksgiving and will be driving through Little Rock. I'm not sure how my schedule is going to be but I'm considering possibly trying to stop and maybe try to take a few pics. Even if it's just mainly pulling the car over and stopping to take a few pics. Anyone have any recommendations for areas that are easy to get to or areas where I could easily pull over and take some pics?

^I guess I would like to see some more of the River Market Area.

Not sure if I'll make it over that way. I don't think I'll have a lot of time and keep in mind I don't really know Little Rock very well either. I'll be spending most of my time around Thanksgiving around family. Although I do plan on taking some pics around Pine Bluff. I was thinking of maybe trying to find an easy place to stop and maybe take a few pics while I'm going through Little Rock on my way back. I already know traffic will be horrible on my way down. I guess I was thinking of places where I could take some skyline shots. Anyone familiar with Little Rock know of any good easy areas to do so?

Not sure if I'll make it over that way. I don't think I'll have a lot of time and keep in mind I don't really know Little Rock very well either. I'll be spending most of my time around Thanksgiving around family. Although I do plan on taking some pics around Pine Bluff. I was thinking of maybe trying to find an easy place to stop and maybe take a few pics while I'm going through Little Rock on my way back. I already know traffic will be horrible on my way down. I guess I was thinking of places where I could take some skyline shots. Anyone familiar with Little Rock know of any good easy areas to do so?

The steps of Alltel Arena and NLR Riverfront Park, across from the arena and Wyndham Riverfront are the best places for skyline shots.

A panorama from the steps of the Arena would be really nice, that's a perfect view - I haven't seen one of the skyline also incorporating the big "Little Rock" letters on the River Market buildings. Holler at me if I can help but I'll be spending Thanksgiving in Big D, the family's coming down.

The steps of Alltel Arena and NLR Riverfront Park, across from the arena and Wyndham Riverfront are the best places for skyline shots.

A panorama from the steps of the Arena would be really nice, that's a perfect view - I haven't seen one of the skyline also incorporating the big "Little Rock" letters on the River Market buildings. Holler at me if I can help but I'll be spending Thanksgiving in Big D, the family's coming down.

Thanks for the info. What exit do I need to look for? If I remember correctly it's not too far from the expressway is it? I can't think of the number that the road is right there as you go over the river.

Thanks for the info. What exit do I need to look for? If I remember correctly it's not too far from the expressway is it? I can't think of the number that the road is right there as you go over the river.

Looking at mapquest, it appears that you should take exit 141B for Alltel Arena, and 141A for the River Market area. Just zoom in a couple of times. Also, notice that these stops on I-30 are right on your way from I-40 to I-530. If you have time you could get some shots of the River Market.

Just out of curiosity can you get very good pics from the Clinton Library?

Yes, you can get some great shots from there.

If you have time, I'd love to see some photos of Pine Bluff as well. Even though the it's in decline, you can still get some good shots of downtown.

I will be getting some of Pine Bluff. I'll have more time there for certain. It hasn;t come up in quite a while but I also thought I'd get some shots from the nature center there. Not sure if it will be open but I can at least gets some shots from the outside. But yeah I was wanting to try to get some shots of downtown Pine Bluff. The Simmons Bank Building, some of the older buildings and also at least some of the murals. I don't know if I'll have time to find all of them. Seems like there were quite a few.

Pine Bluff pics would be awesome!!! Look forward to perhaps getting to see some pics from here!

Any particular areas of Pine Bluff that people want to see? I was wanting some downtown and at least some of the murals. Then the nature center also, other than that I'm open to any suggestions. Then on the way back I'll try to stop in Little Rock and take a few pics. Could anyone tell me if it's easy walking distance from say Alltel Arena or the Clinton Library to the River Market?

Any particular areas of Pine Bluff that people want to see? I was wanting some downtown and at least some of the murals. Then the nature center also, other than that I'm open to any suggestions. Then on the way back I'll try to stop in Little Rock and take a few pics. Could anyone tell me if it's easy walking distance from say Alltel Arena or the Clinton Library to the River Market?

You can easily walk from the Clinton Library to the River Market, they're 2-3 blocks apart. Alltel Arena is across the river and is a little too far to walk. You can easily walk between the arena and NLR Riverfront Park, which is a great place for picture taking as it faces downtown LR's skyline.

You also could consider using the trolley to take you between these, it crosses the river.

You can easily walk from the Clinton Library to the River Market, they're 2-3 blocks apart. Alltel Arena is across the river and is a little too far to walk. You can easily walk between the arena and NLR Riverfront Park, which is a great place for picture taking as it faces downtown LR's skyline.

You also could consider using the trolley to take you between these, it crosses the river.

Thanks for the info. I don't know how much time I'll have but I'll keep those in mind. I'll at least do some from one of those spots in the very least.

Pics of Little Rock may be more problematic now. Sounds like there might be a good chance of rain on Sunday when I'll be driving back. Since Sunday may not work out well I might try to see if I can possibly stop on my way down today. But I'm already getting a later statrt than I wanted and it might also depend on how bad the traffic is when I get there. But hopefully I'll be able to get at least some pics of Little Rock.

• 1 month later...

Yeah it really is a nice skyline for a city it's size. I've wondered how it has managed to get the buildings it has.

Part of it is that the city was doing well at the right time when there was a nice boom nationally in downtown office towers - in the 70s and 80s. Plus, the city had a lot of banking (investment and otherwise), law, and government (industries that traditionally locate downtown) that could use that sort of office space at that time. You'll notice the newer trend is for companies to locate their HQs just west of downtown in Riverdale (Alltel, Acxiom, Dillard's, Winrock, etc) or in West LR.

Part of it is that the city was doing well at the right time when there was a nice boom nationally in downtown office towers - in the 70s and 80s. Plus, the city had a lot of banking (investment and otherwise), law, and government (industries that traditionally locate downtown) that could use that sort of office space at that time. You'll notice the newer trend is for companies to locate their HQs just west of downtown in Riverdale (Alltel, Acxiom, Dillard's, Winrock, etc) or in West LR.

Yeah it's too bad more of them didn't consider being in the downtown too. Then maybe you'd have need of more skyscrapers.

Archived