Symphony Hall

AceMentor

I recently toured the symphony hall in d-town and it supposedly will have the best acoutics in the world. Also it will be one of the best halls in the world. The auditorium itself is a 'seperate building' in the sense that there is a two inch gap between the auditorium all the way around up to the roof. What are yall's opinions on this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently toured the symphony hall in d-town and it supposedly will have the best acoutics in the world. Also it will be one of the best halls in the world. The auditorium itself is a 'seperate building' in the sense that there is a two inch gap between the auditorium all the way around up to the roof. What are yall's opinions on this?

I also heard that the acoustics in the new Symphony Hall would be world class. I was wondering how the design would achieve this. Here's hoping that the finished product delivers what it promises. If it does, then Nashville will have just one more reason to be called "Music City". :rolleyes:

By my quick search of the internet, This may be only the fourth 'true' symphony hall in the south. A 'true' symphony hall, as I have learned from reading the accounts of the planning of Nashville's Hall, features:

> A general shoebox shape with the Orchestra platform located near one end of the hall.

> Loge and balcony seating is narrow and close to the walls. They do not extend out into the hall.

> Choral seating generally provided behind the orchestra platform.

> Ample rehearsal and dressing room space.

> No proscenium; No curtains or stage. Absolutely not useable for opera, ballet or theater. For symphonic concerts only.

The only Cities with venues that seem to meet these criteria in the south are in Dallas and Raleigh. Miami will open one next year.

Oddly, for a City of its size and wealth, Houston's symphonic home didn't seem to meet the criteria. Atlanta's is awaiting funding. Many of the other large southern Cities seem to use a performing arts center space that serves multiple functions.

It will be one more piece of the puzzle that forms a picture of a world class City.

Some still missing pieces include major motion picture facilities, an additional theater on West End, a light rail system and a baseball stadium.

i've been told that the acoustics are going to be so finely tuned, that all of the jackets and coats will have to be taken at the door in order to not mess with the sound. that's just mind boggling how highly tuned this place will be. i can't wait to hear it in person!

Nothing like a few citizens to drop $120 million of their own money to give us this soon-to-be-great monument (and the others who helped too, of course).

I can only imagine how beautiful the finished project is going to look. Nashville's War Memorial Building, the State Capitol, the Public Library, the Parthenon, and now the Schemerhorn should provide us with a real classical distinction. This is nice.

• 1 year later...

I recently toured the 'Horn...and wow!! What a great addition to our city. That entire SoBro area is really taking shape quite nicely. With the CMHF, the park, Schemerhorn, Encore and Pinnacle, this little area will be really nice. Now...if they can figure out what to do on the Thermal site, I'd say this area will boom all the way up to Music Row within the next few years.

Archived