Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Dude, I saw the same thing this morning coming from the bank. What ever happened to Grandy's, btw?

I emailed them quite a while back, asking what happened. The company is fine, and is doing really well in the DFW area where it's based, but they told me that the local franchisee had allowed his restaurants to fall into disrepair and he completely gave up on them and closed them. How sad, because I LOVE Grandy's... and the ones up in Texarkana and over in Longview are doing fine. I eat at both of them whenever I'm in those cities.

This evening I drove by the Wal-Mart site in Shreve city, and much to my surprise it looks like construction is finally ready to commence. There's a new chainlink fence up all around the entire perimeter of the property, and a man was driving around on a Bobcat with the drop hammer attachment. The drop hammer is typically used for smashing concrete, but this one was considerably smaller and it appeared more like he was testing the strength of the concrete. I was parked next to the fence watching him work, and it felt like a nice tremor underneath me but the concrete was staying intact underneath him.

Anyway, it looked like the crews are gearing up for the big project.

On ANOTHER note... this time related to east Bossier along Highway 80...

A HUGE portion of a pasture between Highway 80 and I-20, maybe 1/2 mile west of the new BPCC campus, is being cleared. I've been noticing the clearing occurring as I drive by there on I-20 every morning. This evening I drove by on Highway 80 and saw "sold" on the real estate sign, and a construction trailer on-site. No clues as to what is being built there, but the property appears to be quite a bit larger than the property where BPCC sits... indicating something HUGE may be in the works. I'll keep my eyes on this property to see what materializes.

Thanks to the relocation of BPCC to this area of east Bossier, there has been renewed interest and more companies are building along that stretch of Highway 80. A new shopping center is nearing completion near the intersection of Highway 80 and Swan Lake Road, across from the old Southern Maid Donut shop.

A sign by the road in front of this new cneter indicates that a Counter Culture frozen yogurt store is planning to open inside the center. I've been very impressed with Counter Culture's growth in recent years, going from one location on E. Kings Highway, to ... how many now? I can't even keep up. I know of 3 of 4 right off-hand, and I believe there may be more, including the proposed east Bossier location. And since Counter Culture began just down the block from Centenary College, and tends to be a hit with college kids, it seems fitting that they're locating this new store less than 1 mile from the new BPCC campus. I'm also hoping all this new east Bossier development helps to revitalize the Swan Lake-Meadowview area where I grew up, because it's turned into a pretty nasty area over the last 2 decades.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

A HUGE portion of a pasture between Highway 80 and I-20, maybe 1/2 mile west of the new BPCC campus, is being cleared. I've been noticing the clearing occurring as I drive by there on I-20 every morning. This evening I drove by on Highway 80 and saw "sold" on the real estate sign, and a construction trailer on-site. No clues as to what is being built there, but the property appears to be quite a bit larger than the property where BPCC sits... indicating something HUGE may be in the works. I'll keep my eyes on this property to see what materializes.

well that area is a goldmine. I mean, you have college students, they need places to eat and hang out inbetween classes. Places such as coffee shops, big stores, pizza places, etc...

I just hope BPCC doesnt all development up right against its campus. Theres nothing wrong with large open areas of grass and trees. The campus will look tacky if theres too much development buffered up against its property

well that area is a goldmine. I mean, you have college students, they need places to eat and hang out inbetween classes. Places such as coffee shops, big stores, pizza places, etc...

I just hope BPCC doesnt all development up right against its campus. Theres nothing wrong with large open areas of grass and trees. The campus will look tacky if theres too much development buffered up against its property

The problem with that is, there are outparcels for sale in front of the campus, and land on both sides could be developed at any time. I do believe the campus will end up cluttered before all is said and done.

I agree about coffee shops, pizza places, etc. These are college staples and surely those will come soon. As a matter of fact, with 5 Starbucks open in our area and another 3 on the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another one open in the center where Counter Culture is going in. That would also serve those of us out here in Haughton as well. :)

The problem with that is, there are outparcels for sale in front of the campus, and land on both sides could be developed at any time. I do believe the campus will end up cluttered before all is said and done.

leave it up to the bone heads in this area to screw up a good thing. Developers and planners here should be forced to live outside of Louisiana for a month to see how a REAL city plans. Before you know it there will be a pawnshop and a thrifty-liquor next to the campus.

This evening I drove by the Wal-Mart site in Shreve city, and much to my surprise it looks like construction is finally ready to commence. There's a new chainlink fence up all around the entire perimeter of the property, and a man was driving around on a Bobcat with the drop hammer attachment. The drop hammer is typically used for smashing concrete, but this one was considerably smaller and it appeared more like he was testing the strength of the concrete. I was parked next to the fence watching him work, and it felt like a nice tremor underneath me but the concrete was staying intact underneath him.

Anyway, it looked like the crews are gearing up for the big project.

On ANOTHER note... this time related to east Bossier along Highway 80...

Thanks to the relocation of BPCC to this area of east Bossier, there has been renewed interest and more companies are building along that stretch of Highway 80. A new shopping center is nearing completion near the intersection of Highway 80 and Swan Lake Road, across from the old Southern Maid Donut shop.

A sign by the road in front of this new cneter indicates that a Counter Culture frozen yogurt store is planning to open inside the center. I've been very impressed with Counter Culture's growth in recent years, going from one location on E. Kings Highway, to ... how many now? I can't even keep up. I know of 3 of 4 right off-hand, and I believe there may be more, including the proposed east Bossier location. And since Counter Culture began just down the block from Centenary College, and tends to be a hit with college kids, it seems fitting that they're locating this new store less than 1 mile from the new BPCC campus. I'm also hoping all this new east Bossier development helps to revitalize the Swan Lake-Meadowview area where I grew up, because it's turned into a pretty nasty area over the last 2 decades.

Wow! That's great!

The land I mentioned earlier in the week had been cleared, between I-20 and Hwy 80 in east Bossier, is coming along quite nicely. I noticed today that even more land had been cleared. This is an ENORMOUS site.. probably large enough to put CenturyTel Center and its 4,000-vehicle parking lot on. I'm really wondering what's going to be built there. My wife said that Big D and Bubba on the radio were talking about it the other day, saying that they would give a prize to anyone who could call in and tell them what is being built there.

Watch it turn out to be nothing... but I will say that Bossier City has put new ordinances in place, since the creation of the Boardwalk and the new BPCC campus, to clean Highway 80 up. These ordinances include numerous mandates for new businesses locating along that stretch of road, so anything that is built there should at least be nice-looking.

Brian, is there any development or land clearing in SBC that you don't know about ?? :lol: Very impressive indeed. You got eyes like a Hawk when it comes to speculating/finding new developments in the area. You remind me alot of myself. I appreciate your enthusiasm. I don't exactly remember when it was I began taking interest like that? But it's addictive and fun to keep up with everything going on. Keep-up the great work. :thumbsup:

The land I mentioned earlier in the week had been cleared, between I-20 and Hwy 80 in east Bossier, is coming along quite nicely. I noticed today that even more land had been cleared. This is an ENORMOUS site.. probably large enough to put CenturyTel Center and its 4,000-vehicle parking lot on. I'm really wondering what's going to be built there. My wife said that Big D and Bubba on the radio were talking about it the other day, saying that they would give a prize to anyone who could call in and tell them what is being built there.

Watch it turn out to be nothing... but I will say that Bossier City has put new ordinances in place, since the creation of the Boardwalk and the new BPCC campus, to clean Highway 80 up. These ordinances include numerous mandates for new businesses locating along that stretch of road, so anything that is built there should at least be nice-looking.

I havent seen the area, but I have noticed the last time I was at BPCC was that there wasnt a baseball field. Could that be what they are building? I also think it would be a great place for a city park that could host the BPCC baseball field and a city park thats fair to people in north bossier and south bossier as far as being in the middle.

then again I havent seen the area.

I havent seen the area, but I have noticed the last time I was at BPCC was that there wasnt a baseball field. Could that be what they are building? I also think it would be a great place for a city park that could host the BPCC baseball field and a city park thats fair to people in north bossier and south bossier as far as being in the middle.

then again I havent seen the area.

Well, it's a little bit down the road from the campus so I'm not sure if it would be a BPCC athletic facility. That doesn't mean it's NOT, but I'd think they would purchase land right next to the campus for something like that.

But whatever it is, it's huge and I'm very interested in knowing what it will be! :D

SBC,

I have noticed that several parcels of land on the southern side of Bert Kouns between Walker and Dean roads have been listed as for sale by the Dowling Gosslee Coldwell Banker group. Has anyone else noticed that the few residential lots on that side of the Ind. Loop have gone up for sale and then bought up by large real estate companies and the land is soon cleared for development?

Also, the 5 acre parcel that Realty Executives cleared last year (next to Thrifty Liquor on the south side of Bert Kouns between Walker and Dean roads, it has a sign about the new shopping center to be built in 2006 (a little late don't they think?) what is the status on that development and do you know if something major is planned for that bit of the Ind. Loop?

Seeing as how the few residential lots are being gobbled up i would expect that we can see some development in the next year or so.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mudbugger

SBC,

I have noticed that several parcels of land on the southern side of Bert Kouns between Walker and Dean roads have been listed as for sale by the Dowling Gosslee Coldwell Banker group. Has anyone else noticed that the few residential lots on that side of the Ind. Loop have gone up for sale and then bought up by large real estate companies and the land is soon cleared for development?

Also, the 5 acre parcel that Realty Executives cleared last year (next to Thrifty Liquor on the south side of Bert Kouns between Walker and Dean roads, it has a sign about the new shopping center to be built in 2006 (a little late don't they think?) what is the status on that development and do you know if something major is planned for that bit of the Ind. Loop?

Seeing as how the few residential lots are being gobbled up i would expect that we can see some development in the next year or so.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mudbugger

I know there is either an expansion - or new construction - planned for a multi-purpose storage facility in the area near Walker and Bert Kouns. I also noticed an apartment complex that has been in the planning stages for a while. I'm not sure about the shopping center. Is it a small retail strip, or what? I don't recall seeing anything about that.

The shopping center in question has a sign out front with a basic design and list of some tenants but i can't recall them at this late hour.

It isn't loaded with major national retailers, just a bunch of lower end shops that won't do much to help the area.

Next time you drive down that stretch of road take note of the 2 properties that currently have houses on them, they have Coldwell Banker signs on them. They mention being part of a 5 acre tract for sale, wether that means each is 5 acres or if they are combined for 5 acres is unclear.

Whenever you have more info on this i would appreciate a heads up.

Likewise if i see something that you may have missed (unlikely) i will post it here for you.

Southern Hills is my turf and i like to pride myself on knowing about new developments and business comings and goings around here.

By the way, did you notice that the Bassett Furniture store on Youree is going out of business? Kinda surprising the way the mayor's office likes to project only good news from that part of town and all.

Also i talked with some employees of the shops next to Fatburger and they say that they have raised the prices of their food and that they aren't nearly as busy as they were. Looks like Cheeburger Cheeburger has delivered the death nail for them.

My wife drove by the now demolished Grandy's and snapped a pic on her cellphone, only we don't have the means to upload it here, sorry.

I think you are right on when you guessed that the owners of Eastgate wanted to tear them down to get rid of the eyesore that they presented in contrast with the nice new facade of Eastgate now. Maybe someone will be more likely to buy those empty outparcels and build something new on them, perhaps a Red Lobster at the old Grandy's site and a PF Chang's at the old Eckerd site?

Just some random ramblings as i drift off to sleep,

Mudbugger

The shopping center in question has a sign out front with a basic design and list of some tenants but i can't recall them at this late hour.

It isn't loaded with major national retailers, just a bunch of lower end shops that won't do much to help the area.

Next time you drive down that stretch of road take note of the 2 properties that currently have houses on them, they have Coldwell Banker signs on them. They mention being part of a 5 acre tract for sale, wether that means each is 5 acres or if they are combined for 5 acres is unclear.

Whenever you have more info on this i would appreciate a heads up.

Likewise if i see something that you may have missed (unlikely) i will post it here for you.

Southern Hills is my turf and i like to pride myself on knowing about new developments and business comings and goings around here.

By the way, did you notice that the Bassett Furniture store on Youree is going out of business? Kinda surprising the way the mayor's office likes to project only good news from that part of town and all.

Also i talked with some employees of the shops next to Fatburger and they say that they have raised the prices of their food and that they aren't nearly as busy as they were. Looks like Cheeburger Cheeburger has delivered the death nail for them.

My wife drove by the now demolished Grandy's and snapped a pic on her cellphone, only we don't have the means to upload it here, sorry.

I think you are right on when you guessed that the owners of Eastgate wanted to tear them down to get rid of the eyesore that they presented in contrast with the nice new facade of Eastgate now. Maybe someone will be more likely to buy those empty outparcels and build something new on them, perhaps a Red Lobster at the old Grandy's site and a PF Chang's at the old Eckerd site?

Just some random ramblings as i drift off to sleep,

Mudbugger

You know, a lot of people don't like Red Lobster, but I do and I believe Shreveport needs that chain back. There's no reason the only one in this reason should be in Bossier's nightmare known as Airline @ E. Texas.

Sounds like your wife is a a bit of a development nut herself... not to imply that she's a nut. :lol: But my wife wouldn't even think to snap a pic of something like that.

Anyway, I will drive down that stretch of Bert Kouns the next chance I get, because you've piqued my curiosity. I've seen a lot of Coldwell Banker signs along Bert Kouns of late, and I'd also love to know what may be in the works over there. I watch the MPC, ZBA, and city council meetings closely so I'll keep my ears open to anything else in that area.

The 50-year-old Bossier Crossroads shopping center is finally getting a much-needed facelift.

This center has been part of my life for as long as I can remember, going to Pancho's throughout my childhood in the 80s and going to the Baskin Robbins that was in there back in the 80s, to going to Ralph & Kacoo's these days with my wife. To be honest, being the area that the center is in, I'm very surprised it's still full of businesses.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../610130317/1064

And thanks to this article, I also know that there's a used book store in there... something I'd never noticed before and I will have to check out!

The north DeSoto Parish town of Stonewall, one of the main suburban areas former Shreveport residents have been moving over the past few years, is experiencing major growing pains. They say rush hour in that town is crazy. I've been to Stonewall and knew it was growing, but didn't know it had gotten this bad.

Obviously residents in Stonewall consider it an extension of Shreveport, evidenced by the name of a car sales lot in Stonewall... South Shreveport Auto Sales.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/610170317

Edited by SBCmetroguy

The historic Hunter Building, recently used as part of the setting in the TV series Thief, has been completely redone into the Silver Lake Ballroom. The building was purchased in 2003 for $150,000. Another $1.5 million later, it's been restored to its original 1930s beauty. THIS is what historic restoration is all about, my friends! Rather than tear it down and build something else in its place, the owner put over $1.5 million into renovating it. It's a gorgeous building, built around the same time as the State Capitol in Baton Rouge and in the same Art Deco styling.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../610160326/1064

The historic Hunter Building, recently used as part of the setting in the TV series Thief, has been completely redone into the Silver Lake Ballroom. The building was purchased in 2003 for $150,000. Another $1.5 million later, it's been restored to its original 1930s beauty. THIS is what historic restoration is all about, my friends! Rather than tear it down and build something else in its place, the owner put over $1.5 million into renovating it. It's a gorgeous building, built around the same time as the State Capitol in Baton Rouge and in the same Art Deco styling.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../610160326/1064

This is great! Shreveport has such an incredible inventory of historic builidings that other cities its size and larger aren't so lucky to have. I'm glad it wasn't torn down to be replaced with a gas station. I can't think of anything more aweful. Also, looks like the city of Shreveport will be spending a little money to repave the sidewalk with herringbone patterned bricks and plant trees around the building.

Here's a slideshow of the new Silver Lake Ballroom:

http://www.silverlakeballroom.com/photogallery1.html

What's the status of the new "Southern Loop" exit off I-49 south? I can find nothing about that road online. Is it going to parallel Bert Kouns? It's rather interesting to drive down 49 out of S'port and pass, in order, Inner Loop, Industrial Loop, and now Southern Loop. Makes for an interesting visual image! :D

This is great! Shreveport has such an incredible inventory of historic builidings that other cities its size and larger aren't so lucky to have. I'm glad it wasn't torn down to be replaced with a gas station. I can't think of anything more aweful. Also, looks like the city of Shreveport will be spending a little money to repave the sidewalk with herringbone patterned bricks and plant trees around the building.

NICE!!! Was that mentioned in the article, Stephen? If so I missed it. I didn't even think to see if they had a website. Impressive, and thanks for adding that! :)

What's the status of the new "Southern Loop" exit off I-49 south? I can find nothing about that road online. Is it going to parallel Bert Kouns? It's rather interesting to drive down 49 out of S'port and pass, in order, Inner Loop, Industrial Loop, and now Southern Loop. Makes for an interesting visual image! :D

Right now it's just a road, but I've heard talk of making it an "outer loop" at some point in the future. Whether or not that ever happens, only time will tell I suppose. I will admit, though, I do like when I have friends in from out of town and we take them down to Natchitoches, they always notice the names and make mention of all the "loops" crossing I-49.

The new Southern Loop, right now, connects I-49 to Ellerbe road, but a western extension is currently under construction. Where it goes I'm not sure, because I haven't seen a map. I've thought about driving around the barricades but I didn't want to have to explain that one to the cops.

Apparently a new Wal-Mart Supercenter is opening in Springhill. I didn't even know one was in the works. I also thought Wal-Mart Supercenters were normally around 200,000 square feet, not 100,000. ?

Springhill is in Webster Parish, bringing the number of Wal-Mart Supercenters in that parish to (I believe) two. Minden also has a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Webster Parish is no longer part of the Shreveport-Bossier MSA but IS part if the Shreveport-Bossier CSA.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61017008

FYI:

Here's a excerpt from the history of the Hunter Building, straight from their website:

The Hunter building was built in 1931 by Sam and Joe Hunter. This Art Deco building was originally home of the Hunter Oil and Investment Company. A neighbor, Huey P. Long, built another Art Deco building in that same year, The Louisiana State capitol in Baton Rouge. The building's first floor housed Central Motors, The Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto dealership. For years the building sat empty, but now is transformed into the Silver Lake Ballroom.