Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

well, not really tacky per se, just not like a typical supercenter...

Oh okay, that's interesting. I'd like to see that... I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen supercenters that seem a little smaller or larger than most, but never that small. I'm assuming it's still got all the same "supercenter" components, unlike the old, basic Wal-Mart stores?

Oh okay, that's interesting. I'd like to see that... I don't think I've ever seen that. I've seen supercenters that seem a little smaller or larger than most, but never that small. I'm assuming it's still got all the same "supercenter" components, unlike the old, basic Wal-Mart stores?

I really don't know. I've only driven by it. And laughed. :D

Looks like the ENTIRE town of Springhill came out to the new Wal-Mart this morning... GEEZ... you'd think it was a Galleria or something. But to be fair, to the lumberjack town of Springhill, it probably IS like a Galleria...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61017008

In China a typical opening day for a Wal-Mart draws 80,000 to 100,000 people. Just a useless fact to help put Springhill in perspective. :D

According to KTBS news at 6 this evening, a huge local job fair held today drew people from areas outside Shreveport-Bossier, including Dallas and Monroe. Apparently the loss of 800 more jobs in Monroe is causing people to come over here looking to relocate for work. I hate it for Monroe, but I feel proud that our area may be able to provide the comfort those people are looking for.

The news segment focused mostly on Bossier City, mentioning that Bossier's boom is not expected to slow down any time soon. Honestly, in my opinion, anyone who moves here from outside the region (and according to the news segment, this IS occurring) helps not only the town or city they move to, but the entire metro. Even if Shreveport is losing population inside the city, as long as the metro is growing, we can work on Shreveport and try to reverse that trend. It's when people start leaving the metro entirely that I start worrying... and apparently that isn't the case at all. In fact, the opposite is occurring, which is excellent.

Looks like the ENTIRE town of Springhill came out to the new Wal-Mart this morning... GEEZ... you'd think it was a Galleria or something. But to be fair, to the lumberjack town of Springhill, it probably IS like a Galleria...
:rofl: Good for the Springhill Lumberjacks!!!!

a huge local job fair held today drew people from areas outside Shreveport-Bossier, including Dallas and Monroe. Apparently the loss of 800 more jobs in Monroe is causing people to come over here looking to relocate for work. I hate it for Monroe, but I feel proud that our area may be able to provide the comfort those people are looking for.

What type of jobs are they(looking) going to-fill in the SBC Metro area ? That's sad for Monroe but great for SBC; I am glad to see most of those people will stay in Louisiana. :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

:rofl: Good for the Springhill Lumberjacks!!!!

:lol: You had a little too much fun with that...

What type of jobs are they(looking) going to-fill in the SBC Metro area ? That's sad for Monroe but great for SBC; I am glad to see most of those people will stay in Louisiana. :thumbsup:

Well, last year's job losses were at the State Farm operations center, but those people probably have already found work. If not, they could find insurance jobs here, or even call center jobs. We have tons of call centers.

As far as the upcoming job losses, those are apparently in manufacturing parts for GM. Since we have a GM plant and numerous GM suppliers located in west Shreveport, those people could probably find jobs in that sector here.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I'm not sure if the original article made it here on the development string...but it looks like the developer of a low to moderate income housing project near the airport is considering alternate sites after receiving a lot of flack:

Developer puts housing development proposal back on table

Considering the developer is attorney Michael Wainwright, a close friend of Keith Hightower and whose name has come up in lots of shady deals, I'd be surprised if there's not more to this story than just airport vs. development. But then again, anything like that would be pure rumor.

I thought I'd posted this already but I can't see where I did... so...

This weekend I drove into Shreve City to see how the new Wal-Mart construction is going. And man, in just a week or two, they're moving along! The entire site was stripped of concrete and construction was underway on the oil change pit for the Tire & Lube Express portion of the store. It's coming along quite nicely and quite quickly now!

I thought I'd posted this already but I can't see where I did... so...

This weekend I drove into Shreve City to see how the new Wal-Mart construction is going. And man, in just a week or two, they're moving along! The entire site was stripped of concrete and construction was underway on the oil change pit for the Tire & Lube Express portion of the store. It's coming along quite nicely and quite quickly now!

That's cool. I'm glad they tore down the old Dillard's building. It was in bad shape (had cracks in the masonry) and nobody leased it ever since Dillard's left (and probably would never had a lease on that huge building). That's a good improvement for that shopping center. Hopefully some better stores will start rolling in that corridor soon.

The old Quail Creek cineplex/shopping center definitely could use some revitilization/renovation soon. It was bad the last time I saw it

That's cool. I'm glad they tore down the old Dillard's building. It was in bad shape (had cracks in the masonry) and nobody leased it ever since Dillard's left (and probably would never had a lease on that huge building). That's a good improvement for that shopping center. Hopefully some better stores will start rolling in that corridor soon.

The old Quail Creek cineplex/shopping center definitely could use some revitilization/renovation soon. It was bad the last time I saw it

I hope so as well.

Hey, good to see you back here posting again! :)

Still no word on the Hwy 80 land clearing. I've driven by there several times lately to check it out and see if I could find any clues, but nothing. No construction signs, just a construction site trailer. Hmmm... it's really gotten my curiosity up, knowing BPCC recently moved out there and that the city has recently put new ordinances into place along that stretch. I hope I'm safe in assuming it's not another trailer park or trailer sales lot, both of which Hwy 80 in Bossier is notorious for.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Looks like the Uptown Center renovations are coming along quite nicely. That's the Brookshires-anchored center across from Pierremont Mall.

I was quite sure the loss of Michael's was going to be the end of that center, but I think Brookshire's has hung on and kept them afloat. The Uptown/South Highlands area needs a neighborhood grocery other than Maxwell's Market, so I think Brookshire's probably does pretty well right there.

Some of the new tenants going into that center are: Ristorante Guisseppe (local restaurant,) Starbucks, New Balance shoes, and an Iberia Bank... though I don't kow exactly where Iberia Bank is going. Maybe they're just going to take over the ATM kiosk by the road. With their new branch under construction not far down the road at Fern/W 70th, I'd be surprised to see a full-fledged branch location built at Uptown.

Thursday, November 16, 2006... James Avery will open his first Shreveport area store at the Shoppes at Bellemead lifestyle center on Youree Drive. My wife is a lover of his products, having shopped there a lot back in Midland, TX as a child. James Avery manufactures "religious" jewelry.

As a long-time customer, my wife received an invitation to the store's grand opening where Mr. Avery himself will be present. In his letter he mentions that he was stationed at Barksdale Air Force Base many years ago, and that it will be nostalgic for him to open his first Shreveport store. Obviously Shreveport has made an impression on this man, and knowing what he stands for, I hope his Shreveport store is a huge success.

http://www.jamesavery.com

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Shreveport is on the ballot for AirTran airline service! Here's the article from The Times:

Shreveport on ballot for AirTran service

You can actually vote for Shreveport to be the next AirTran destination (or any other city, I suppose). Baton Rouge is on the list also.

Click here to vote.

This topic was posted in the Baton Rouge subforum yesterday, here on Urban Planet. I don't know why I didn't think to post it here as well, but thanks for doing so.

I had thought AirTran was already flying out of Shreveport, but I had them confused with someone else... maybe Allegiant, who flies non-stop from Shreveport to Las Vegas.

This topic was posted in the Baton Rouge subforum yesterday, here on Urban Planet. I don't know why I didn't think to post it here as well, but thanks for doing so.

I had thought AirTran was already flying out of Shreveport, but I had them confused with someone else... maybe Allegiant, who flies non-stop from Shreveport to Las Vegas.

I think AirTran did fly in Shreveport before 9/11 (service to Atlanta?), then pulled out to focus on larger cities. Looks like they're considering re-entering some of the mid-size markets. I already voted several times for Shreveport, spread the word guys!

I think AirTran did fly in Shreveport before 9/11 (service to Atlanta?), then pulled out to focus on larger cities. Looks like they're considering re-entering some of the mid-size markets. I already voted several times for Shreveport, spread the word guys!

Sounds good. I believe Shreveport would be a good fit, although I really wish we could lure Southwest back. I love that airline, and I often drive to Little Rock just to fly with them. Fare from Little Rock to Chicago is so cheap, as well as fare from Little Rock to Indianapolis.

The next round of tenants for the large Regal Court retail development in southeast Shreveport is going to be unveiled on Monday by Mayor Hightower.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61103009

Charles Shears of SDI Realty, the developer of this project, has been VERY tight-lipped about this development except for Kohl's and JC Penney, so this announcement is welcome news!

I'm hoping the vast majority of these stores and restaurants will be new to this region.

Anyone care to start making guesses?

Here is one thought I'm entertaining: TGI Friday's. I recently found information that leads me to believe a restaurant might be on its way to this market. Why else would they have been trying to hire a manager for Shreveport? :)

Macy's is a store I'd like to see, but I doubt it will be there because (1) I don't think any of the remaining anchor spaces are large enough and (2) JC Penney and Kohl's are already supposed to be going in there.

Bonefish Grill is another restaurant I'd love to see built there. Every other market our size in this region has one, so there's no reason why we wouldn't get one.

PF Chang's has been scouting Shreveport for some time, and was originally planned for the SDI property next door to this new development, so they could be going in to this more upscale development. Yet another restaurant that every other market our size has, which we're overdue.

Shreveport still doesn't have a Comp USA or a Staples. We have every other electronics and office supply chain, but neither of these.

Anything more guesses??

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Hello, I'm new. My name is Casey and I live in Bossier.

SBC you may be on with the TGI Friday's. A couple of nights ago, I cannot recall the program, but I did see a commercial on local tv for TGI Friday's. Didn't they have a St Vincent Mall location that closed years ago?

I am a great lover of PF Chang's and that would be a dream come true if they came here. My personal fav is the lettuce wraps! Has anyone ever ate at Pei Wei's? It is a PF Changs' company. It is very casual and very good. They have the same lettuce wraps.

There is only one more restaurant that I could hope for but it is not even in Louisiana and seems to stay in larger markets. That restuarant is California Pizza Kitchen. Has anyone ate there before? I know fridayinla must have because they are very popular in So Cal.