Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

This one is certainly no lifestyle center. Here's the location description:

Airline Dr is home to Bossier City's most intense retail development. This site lies next to the Bossier Medical Center, just north of Pierre Bossier Mall and a power center containing Old Navy, Books A Million, Office Depot, Pier 1 and others. Lowes and Wal-Mart are just north of the site. Excellent street frontage, high visability.

If they're actively listing this as available space for lease, then seems to me like it's moving forward.

Hmmm, very interesting. It's about time! :lol: The original plans had a lifestyle center with a center water feature, a McAllister's Deli and a PetCo. McAllister's moved down the street and built north of I-220 and PetCo never was built. PetSmart is being built in the Target center though.

That's the new Starbucks-anchored strip on Airline, across from the Stirling Bossier center. I don't know if Starbucks Plaza is the official name, but that's what the city is calling it at least.

Ah! I remember you mentioning that retail strip. I bet the Stirling Bossier is going to spur all kinds of developments along Airline in that area of the city. I haven't been over there in 8+ years. My parents live closer SE Shreveport, so it's on the opposite end of the metro. When is Stirling Bossier planning to open? How's it progressing?

Ah! I remember you mentioning that retail strip. I bet the Stirling Bossier is going to spur all kinds of developments along Airline in that area of the city. I haven't been over there in 8+ years. My parents live closer SE Shreveport, so it's on the opposite end of the metro. When is Stirling Bossier planning to open? How's it progressing?

It's progressing rapidly. Infrastructure work is very far along, including the decorative bridge over the bayou, the main roads and lighting, and the Phase I parking lots. Phase I is supposed to open next Spring and should include Target, Best Buy, PetSmart, and some others. As the crews finish their jobs in Phase I, they will roll into Phase II and Phase II should open 6-12 months after Phase I.

Hmmm, very interesting. It's about time! :lol: The original plans had a lifestyle center with a center water feature, a McAllister's Deli and a PetCo. McAllister's moved down the street and built north of I-220 and PetCo never was built. PetSmart is being built in the Target center though.

A lifestyle center would've been a vast improvement over what's going up there now. I think surface parking lots are the most unattractive and poor uses of land... although I do realize they're a necessary evil. The architects should at least dress it up with some landscaping or interesting brick patterns. It's funny how earlier today I was just thinking how these wholly utilitarian, non-descript strip centers were a thing of the past. Man was I wrong. :(

Edit: In L.A. the parking lots have to go behind the building. That would be a better way to go.

It's progressing rapidly. Infrastructure work is very far along, including the decorative bridge over the bayou, the main roads and lighting, and the Phase I parking lots. Phase I is supposed to open next Spring and should include Target, Best Buy, PetSmart, and some others. As the crews finish their jobs in Phase I, they will roll into Phase II and Phase II should open 6-12 months after Phase I.

Nice! What is Phase II to include?

Edited by fridayinla

A lifestyle center would've been a vast improvement over what's going up there now. I think surface parking lots are the most unattractive and poor uses of land... although I do realize they're a necessary evil. The architects should at least dress it up with some landscaping or interesting brick patterns. It's funny how earlier today I was just thinking how these wholly utilitarian, non-descript strip centers were a thing of the past. Man was I wrong. :(

Edit: In L.A. the parking lots have to go behind the building. That would be a better way to go.

Nice! What is Phase II to include?

Having the parking lots behind the buildings would be nicer. It's kind of like the Boardwalk then, because there's not a bunch of parking spaces in the middle of the center!

FYI: I just posted a couple of Provenance photos in the Shreveport-Bossier Photo of the Day forum. Phase I is coming along nicely. More lots have been cleared and more roads built. There is also a sign up across from the town square that shows townhomes coming soon, starting in the $180,000s.

Hey I noticed tonight there is a mass of construction equipment on that big lot off of bert kouns and I-49.. what is it I wonder?

I'm still wondering that myself. I drove down that road beside it yesterday but couldn't find a really good spot to stop and take pictures so I didn't. Maybe off the side of I-49 would work. It's a pretty large site, stretching from Bert Kouns on back to near the church on Fluornoy Lucas Rd.

OK, I have more from LoopNet. Forgive me if this is old information.

This is a 22,800 sf retail center planned to start soon on 2 acres of 4-acre tract next to the Bossier Medical Center (land for possible build-to-suits, ground lease or future phases of retail). The center is called Airline Marketplace. The architecture is pretty much utilitarian in my opinion, but new development is always welcome.

3B50816E-8DCF-40B7-8B0E-C77FC2DB0654_or.jpg

hooray...another ugly and tacky strip mall

hooray...another ugly and tacky strip mall

Yeah I know, that sucks. Sure it's more infill, which is great... but it's just another "tacky strip mall" as you said. Originally there was supposed to be a pretty nice lifestyle center on that site. The guy who designed the center has since removed them from his website, and I can't seem to find them anywhere. It was supposed to be a nice center, originally, similar to the Shoppes at Bellemead, which he also designed.

I thought this story in today's Times was interesting. I almost didn't read it because it was about a hair salon, but I'm glad I read it. I've seen the two new Sport Clips locations in Shreveport and Bossier but just thought they were a remake of Fantastic Sam's, Master Cuts, SuperCuts, or some other generic salon.

Apparently this chain is based in Texas and is a real success because it's sports-themed. You can even watch sports while you get your hair cut! How cool is that!? :D

They are the official salon of the Texas Rangers and the San Antonio Spurs.

I might have to give this chain a chance and see how they do...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611200325/1064

I thought this story in today's Times was interesting. I almost didn't read it because it was about a hair salon, but I'm glad I read it. I've seen the two new Sport Clips locations in Shreveport and Bossier but just thought they were a remake of Fantastic Sam's, Master Cuts, SuperCuts, or some other generic salon.

Apparently this chain is based in Texas and is a real success because it's sports-themed. You can even watch sports while you get your hair cut! How cool is that!? :D

They are the official salon of the Texas Rangers and the San Antonio Spurs.

I might have to give this chain a chance and see how they do...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611200325/1064

We've got 'em in Memphis. They really go out of their way to make us guys feel right at home. OPINION: it's a little disconcerting when the female hair stylist comes swaggering out and shakes your hand with a surprisingly firm grip. I think that's all part of the "macho" make-guys-feel-comfortable atmosphere which can feel a little over the top at times.

We've got 'em in Memphis. They really go out of their way to make us guys feel right at home. OPINION: it's a little disconcerting when the female hair stylist comes swaggering out and shakes your hand with a surprisingly firm grip. I think that's all part of the "macho" make-guys-feel-comfortable atmosphere which can feel a little over the top at times.

Hmmm... yeah that's a little strange. I always feel strange shaking a woman's hand, firm or not. It just seems odd to me. You shake guys' hands, not womens'.

Hey Brian, remember the other day I was asking about something going up at Airline and 220 that looked more than a story high? I was by there again and it was on the WK Medical Plaza site. It looked like it may have been an elevator shaft. Starbucks Plaza is going up, but it looks like progress is slow. I noticed on the SDI site that curbs and black top has been poured. I will be really excited when walls begin to go up. I also noticed a development on Airline by Trejo's. Do you know what this is???

I was also thinking about the land between Wal-Mart and Home Depot on Airline; do you think it will ever be developed? Someone has been sitting on it for a loooong time. Do you know who even owns it? I would think it must be an individual because there are cows on it! Somebody is going to make a lot of money one day.

Hey Brian, remember the other day I was asking about something going up at Airline and 220 that looked more than a story high? I was by there again and it was on the WK Medical Plaza site. It looked like it may have been an elevator shaft. Starbucks Plaza is going up, but it looks like progress is slow. I noticed on the SDI site that curbs and black top has been poured. I will be really excited when walls begin to go up. I also noticed a development on Airline by Trejo's. Do you know what this is???

I was also thinking about the land between Wal-Mart and Home Depot on Airline; do you think it will ever be developed? Someone has been sitting on it for a loooong time. Do you know who even owns it? I would think it must be an individual because there are cows on it! Somebody is going to make a lot of money one day.

Yeah I've seen that elevator shaft. They always look funny sitting out by themselves before the rest of the building has begun.

I drove by the Target site while driving down 220 last night, and it looked like they were pouring. In jobs of that size they don't end the day until they're done with the pour in order to keep from having a 'cold pour.' So they had all their flood lights up on the foundation and were working fast to get it done.

Down Airline a ways, at that site between Wal-Mart and Home Depot, I keep expecting to hear Wal-Mart announce a Sam's Club and retail development. I think that would be a good site for a Sam's, especially given the added traffic that stretech of Airline will soon have. I'm still mad that the city screwed up a few years back and allowed Colonial Properties Trust, a large Birmingham, AL development company, to build the HUGE Kroger-anchored center they wanted to build there. That is such prime land, I'm sure there's a hefty price tag on it but something like that shouldn't deter a huge developer who really wants to get in on the Airline corridor.

As far as the cows, I'm not sure if you've familiar, but it's a very common practice for a developer who owns property like that will leave cows on the property to avoid high taxes. If the land is zoned and used for agriculture of any kind, he's not paying the kind of taxes he would be if it were zoned for commercial development and just sitting empty. This is why there's almost always a frantic last-minute push for zoning change from agriculture to commercial when a project is ready to move ahead.

As far as I know that development on Airline by Trejo's is supposed to be just another little strip center.

I could have gotten it wrong with 175,000... it might have been 185,000. As a matter of fact, I believe it IS 185,000. Little Rock is around 180,000 and is actually expected to pass Shreveport up in the next Census.

I'm with you, it seems strange to have a city that's growing so much residentially and commercially actually losing population! But that's what the latest Census estimate says. The big loss of population shows that all the new home construction in southeast Shreveport isn't slowing things down at all. That shows just how many people are moving out, and it seems the vast majority are moving to any of the following places: Bossier City, Benton, Haughton, Greenwood, Stonewall. This is why Stonewall is experiencing major growing pains right now, because people are moving down there just to be out of the city. Sad, isn't it?

Right now, Jerry Jones is ahead by a narrow margin. Let's all hope to God that he wins and this city is able to change for the better. With the people who are supporting Glover, there is no doubt in my mind the city will stay the way it is right now. I'm watching the election results come in little-by-little on the Times' main page, and it's scary to think it's as close as we all figured it would be!!

I disagree, I think Shreveport population is around 215,000. See Money Magazine estimate below of best places to live

2006 2005

Winners Top 100 Cities States FAQ

High incomes Coldest Pricey homes Educated Job growth

Hottest Most singles Youngest Skinniest Clean air

Shreveport, LA

Population: 216,146

Compare Shreveport to Top 10 Best Places

I disagree, I think Shreveport population is around 215,000. See Money Magazine estimate below of best places to live

2006 2005

Shreveport, LA

I'd like to think so. :) I wonder where Money Magazine is getting their numbers, though? Because the U.S. Census Bureau is reporting Bossier having broken the 60,000 mark in '05 but Money Magazine puts the city at 58,000. I'm tempted to not believe their numbers unless I can see where they got them from. I've never seen an estimate put Shreveport at more than 205,000 people, let alone 216,000. On that note, however, like I said, I'd like to think they're right. I'd LOVE to think they're right.

You know I've looked over that Top 100 list, and I didn't see a single Louisiana city on there. Not Shreveport, not Baton Rouge, not Lafayette, nothing. That's pretty disheartening.

I'd like to think so. :) I wonder where Money Magazine is getting their numbers, though? Because the U.S. Census Bureau is reporting Bossier having broken the 60,000 mark in '05 but Money Magazine puts the city at 58,000. I'm tempted to not believe their numbers unless I can see where they got them from. I've never seen an estimate put Shreveport at more than 205,000 people, let alone 216,000. On that note, however, like I said, I'd like to think they're right. I'd LOVE to think they're right.

You know I've looked over that Top 100 list, and I didn't see a single Louisiana city on there. Not Shreveport, not Baton Rouge, not Lafayette, nothing. That's pretty disheartening.

I think the U S census numbers are just estimates too. If Shreveport has grown so much on the Southeast side of town this figure could be possible. I know Shreveport took in some Katrina victims and I know the hispanic community is growing there as well. Bossier City is growing fast also. I project around 65,000.

On another note Sports Clips , I believe was started by Jay Novachek the former Dallas Cowboy tight in.

Since Shreveport is so close to Dallas , I am quite sure that they will be getting more new franchises.

it looks like SBC is beginning to take off

2006 2005

Shreveport, LA

My guess is they took the 2000 census numbers and grew it by about 1% annually to get their figure (it's almost spot on). Demographics are a big part of my job - and I've learned numbers can vary greatly from different "official" sources. The bottom line is that estimations made after census years are projections based on previous trends. Even the census bureau's #s are just estimates until the next census year rolls around. Economic indicators such as loss of jobs can be factored into estimates, but no one knows for sure.

In my opinion, based on Shreveport's growing economy, I'd be surprised if Shreveport's actual population has dwindled below 200,000 - but 216,000 may be too optimistic.

There was an article in the Novermber 15 issue of The Forum Newsweekly that talked about the progress made lately at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier. Since I don't have access to a digital copy of the article and don't feel like taking and uploading a photo of it, I'll give a summary below:

The latest tenant at the Port is T.G. Mercer Consulting Services, headquartered in Weatherford, TX. T.G. Mercer is a company that deals in distribution and set up of steel pipe used in commercial applications, and they actually handled all the pipe for the Alaskan Pipeline.

According to the article, the Port has doubled its number of tenants in the last year; and while the Port is 2,000 acres in size, they are already looking to purchase more land to continue the Port's growth.

I think this is absolutely amazing for an inland Port on a relatively shallow river.

There was an article in the Novermber 15 issue of The Forum Newsweekly that talked about the progress made lately at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier. Since I don't have access to a digital copy of the article and don't feel like taking and uploading a photo of it, I'll give a summary below:

The latest tenant at the Port is T.G. Mercer Consulting Services, headquartered in Weatherford, TX. T.G. Mercer is a company that deals in distribution and set up of steel pipe used in commercial applications, and they actually handled all the pipe for the Alaskan Pipeline.

According to the article, the Port has doubled its number of tenants in the last year; and while the Port is 2,000 acres in size, they are already looking to purchase more land to continue the Port's growth.

I think this is absolutely amazing for an inland Port on a relatively shallow river.

That's good to hear. I've been wondering how the Port of SBC has been doing -- sounds like it's moving along nicely. Is there a steel plant located at the port?

Once I-69 comes along, I think the SBC area could really take off. Hopefully the port and I-49 will continue to develop

That's good to hear. I've been wondering how the Port of SBC has been doing -- sounds like it's moving along nicely. Is there a steel plant located at the port?

Once I-69 comes along, I think the SBC area could really take off. Hopefully the port and I-49 will continue to develop

Steelscape just opened down there last year, and piece-by-piece they've been disassembling a plant in California and moving it to the Port here. They've probably got half of their operations up and running by now, possibly even more.

There is also another "major" steel plant, IPSCO, looking to locate at the Port. Shreveport is on the company's short list of 3 possible locations. The other locations on their list are San Antonio and Mobile. Needless to say, if the Port of Shreveport-Bossier is able to bring that company onboard over San Antonio and Mobile, they're undoubtedly doing something majorly right.

I think I-69 will be excellent for the Port. Once that project is completed or moving along at a good pace, they ought to be able to finally get 3132 extended all the way to the Port and to I-69. The current extension only takes it to Fluornoy-Lucas Road. The added traffic on Fluornoy-Lucas is going to be killer, because the road is still only 2 lanes. The only part being 5-laned right now is the intersection of Fluornoy-Lucas and Ellerbe, both of which desperately need to be widened to 5 lanes for miles. With all the residential growth along both of those roads, I think widening JUST the intersection and then dumping 3132 traffic out into that area is a huge mistake.

I thought this was interesting. I found this updated site plan for Shoppes at Bellemead.

http://www.ccimnet.com/files/property/3500...ARKETING_C1.pdf

I wonder if they're also trying to lure Borders? Well, whatever Regal Court ends up with, I'm sure Bellemead will end up with the other one. Although I must say, I personally believe Books A Million would really degrade this classy shopping center. Originally a Haverty's was meant for the location of the "proposed bookstore" shown, but once the Eastgate revitalization came onboard, Haverty's jumped ship and ended up in Eastgate, fronting E. 70th.

What other major bookstore chains could there be? There's a Barnes & Noble DIRECTLY across the street from this center, so that's not an option. I think Regal Court has a better chance of signing Borders due to the excellent road frontage, and Shreveport's only Books A Million closed recently. It was located in front of the old South Park Mall, and it was seriously struggling to keep the doors open. The only Books A Million left in this area is in the Bossier Corners shopping center.

Again, though, there must be a better option than Books A Million for Bellemead, UNLESS it's the classiest Books A Million store I've ever seen.

I'd also like to see Atlanta Bread come to Bellemead, as they were originally listed as a tenant. Or even bring Panera Bread... THAT store would look really nice in there.

Where Shoppes at Bellemead is sitting, a second office tower was originally planned; but that was quite a few years ago and south Youree Drive hadn't started really booming back then. Too bad there's no room left for an office tower, and the only other property right by One Bellemead Centre, located behind the center on Roma Drive, is becoming an apartment complex.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I thought this was interesting. I found this updated site plan for Shoppes at Bellemead.

http://www.ccimnet.com/files/property/3500...ARKETING_C1.pdf

I wonder if they're also trying to lure Borders? Well, whatever Regal Court ends up with, I'm sure Bellemead will end up with the other one. Although I must say, I personally believe Books A Million would really degrade this classy shopping center. Originally a Haverty's was meant for the location of the "proposed bookstore" shown, but once the Eastgate revitalization came onboard, Haverty's jumped ship and ended up in Eastgate, fronting E. 70th.

What other major bookstore chains could there be? There's a Barnes & Noble DIRECTLY across the street from this center, so that's not an option. I think Regal Court has a better chance of signing Borders due to the excellent road frontage, and Shreveport's only Books A Million closed recently. It was located in front of the old South Park Mall, and it was seriously struggling to keep the doors open. The only Books A Million left in this area is in the Bossier Corners shopping center.

Again, though, there must be a better option than Books A Million for Bellemead, UNLESS it's the classiest Books A Million store I've ever seen.

I'd also like to see Atlanta Bread come to Bellemead, as they were originally listed as a tenant. Or even bring Panera Bread... THAT store would look really nice in there.

Where Shoppes at Bellemead is sitting, a second office tower was originally planned; but that was quite a few years ago and south Youree Drive hadn't started really booming back then. Too bad there's no room left for an office tower, and the only other property right by One Bellemead Centre, located behind the center on Roma Drive, is becoming an apartment complex.

Hmmm... if Regal Court and Shoppes at Bellemead both get bookstore tenants, my guess is Books A Million at Regal Court and Borders at Shoppes at Bellemead. It doesn't really fit the other way around - well, at least Books A Million doesn't fit, like you said. Although, it may turn out that Regal Court will get the bookstore tenant and Shoppes at Bellemead will find another large tenant type. I guess it depends on when that site plan was drafted.

Hmmm... if Regal Court and Shoppes at Bellemead both get bookstore tenants, my guess is Books A Million at Regal Court and Borders at Shoppes at Bellemead. It doesn't really fit the other way around - well, at least Books A Million doesn't fit, like you said. Although, it may turn out that Regal Court will get the bookstore tenant and Shoppes at Bellemead will find another large tenant type. I guess it depends on when that site plan was drafted.

I'm waiting to see some renderings for Regal Court or something, because I'm thinking its look might rival Shoppes at Bellemead. Judging by the park and water feature planned, and some of the upscale tenants they're trying to sign, I'm betting it's going to be pretty upscale-looking. Or at least I'm hoping.

Either way, three major book store chains in that two-block stretch of road would make for interesting competition. It would just add to the other rivalries already in that area: Bed Bath and Beyond vs. Linens and Things, Fatburger vs. Cheeburger Cheeburger, Starbucks vs. Starbucks vs. Starbucks (lol,) Michael's vs. Hobby Lobby, Carrabba's vs. Macaroni Grill vs. Olive Garden, Wal-Mart vs. Target, and so on. There will also soon be Belk (existing) vs. JC Penney vs. Kohl's!

Edited by SBCmetroguy