Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Very interesting. The article also mentions that Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Jackson, and Alexandria are all trying to lure the SWAC as well. I'd say out of all the cities on that list, Alexandria has the smallest chance. Shreveport probably has one of the biggest chances here because of its majority black population.

On the subjects of CVS and Dollar General:

I don't blame you for not wanting to shop in that store, as it's created a blemish on your beautiful neighborhood. I wouldn't shop there either. The store in Swan Lake is no big deal because the property values there are already so low it doesn't matter, but the Stockwell location definitely isn't helping your area.

I haven't driven by the CVS site in a couple of weeks, but I'm glad to know more clearing is occurring. I was very concerned about the size of that site. Hopefully it'll be a store more like the new one at Airline/E. Texas rather than the one at North Market/North Hearne. That store over there is fugly, in my opinion.

Here's how I see the cities ranking: 1)Houston - It has a SWAC school and it IS Houston, 2)Shreveport - Is in the middle of the conference area as the article points out and Grambling is close, 3) Jackson - Has a SWAC school but I'm partial to Shreveport, 4) Dallas - No SWAC school and out of the conference area, 5) Atlanta - Out of the conference area, no SWAC school in the state, but it IS Atlanta, 6) Alexandria - No SWAC school and a small city. I could be off though.

As far as CVS, I have not seen the one at North Market/North Hearne, but I still don't know if that Haughton site could support one the size of the one at Airline/E. Texas. It may be close though.

Edited by jcasey

Here's how I see the cities ranking: 1)Houston - It has a SWAC school and it IS Houston, 2)Shreveport - Is in the middle of the conference area as the article points out and Grambling is close, 3) Jackson - Has a SWAC school but I'm partial to Shreveport, 4) Dallas - No SWAC school and out of the conference area, 5) Atlanta - Out of the conference area, no SWAC school in the state, but it IS Atlanta, 6) Alexandria - No SWAC school and a small city. I could be off though.

As far as CVS, I have not seen the one at North Market/North Hearne, but I still don't know if that Haughton site could support one the size of the one at Airline/E. Texas. It may be close though.

Even if they have to build a smaller store out here, which is very possible, I hope they choose a better design than the North Market/North Hearne store. You're not missing anything by having not seen it, it's fugly. It's very squatty and severely lacking in aesthetic quality.

By the way, you should see all the people disagreeing with me on the North Bossier apartment complex issue.

http://forums.shreveporttimes.com/viewtopi...p?p=39239#39239

I'm really amazed at how so many people can be opposed to adding a medium-density luxury apartment development to their very suburban area. It's going to happen, so they might as well just back down. But they're so stuck in their ways that they'll never understand. In my opinion they're of the same mindset as the South Bossier residents who opposed the CenturyTel Center. Those people fought that arena tooth and nail, but in the end they lost. And guess what? Now they want more development around it, because they see what a great asset it's been to their area. To be honest, those people had more reason to be concerned than these North Bossier residents, because the larger events at CenturyTel Center can draw up to 15,000 fans. That's a lot of added traffic in South Bossier. But still, they're happy with the arena even though they fought it back then.

Even if they have to build a smaller store out here, which is very possible, I hope they choose a better design than the North Market/North Hearne store. You're not missing anything by having not seen it, it's fugly. It's very squatty and severely lacking in aesthetic quality.

By the way, you should see all the people disagreeing with me on the North Bossier apartment complex issue.

I'm really amazed at how so many people can be opposed to adding a medium-density luxury apartment development to their very suburban area. It's going to happen, so they might as well just back down. But they're so stuck in their ways that they'll never understand. In my opinion they're of the same mindset as the South Bossier residents who opposed the CenturyTel Center. Those people fought that arena tooth and nail, but in the end they lost. And guess what? Now they want more development around it, because they see what a great asset it's been to their area. To be honest, those people had more reason to be concerned than these North Bossier residents, because the larger events at CenturyTel Center can draw up to 15,000 fans. That's a lot of added traffic in South Bossier. But still, they're happy with the arena even though they fought it back then.

I work with a lady who is opposing the apartment complex... she's like 64... whats the deal with old people.. I argued with her about it half the day.

I am definitely about to check it out. I've noticed that most of the people on the Shreveport Times forum are idiots. They all pretty much seem to be trolls.

As far as south Bossier goes, they need more development. They need a Wal-Mart among other things. I think what they need more than that is some restaurants about CTC. The only decent place to eat over there (before or after an event) is Johnny's Pizza. Other than that it is Subway, Taco Bell or McDonalds. BTW is Arena BBQ closed down???

Edited by jcasey

I am definitely about to check it out. I've noticed that most of the people on the Shreveport Times forum are idiots. They all pretty much seem to be trolls.

As far as south Bossier goes, they need more development. They need a Wal-Mart among other things. I think what they need more than that is some restaurants about CTC. The only decent place to eat over there (before or after an event) is Johnny's Pizza. Other than that it is Subway, Taco Bell or McDonalds. BTW is Arena BBQ closed down???

Yes, the Shreveport Times board has always been full of trolls and that has always ticked me off.

I think Arena BBQ did close, but don't take my word for that. I *think* it is, but I'm not certain. Cafe USA is a decent place if you like diner food. They have good chicken fried steak, rolls, corn and mashed potatoes. :) Also that Taco Bell was the scene of a very horrific murder a few years back, so being the superstitious person that I am, I don't eat there because of that.

Also that Taco Bell was the scene of a very horrific murder a few years back, so being the superstitious person that I am, I don't eat there because of that.

Didn't know that, but thanks for telling me. I will be sure to avoid it at all costs! Kinda creepy eating where someone was murdered. Not for me, thanks.

Edited by jcasey

Didn't know that, but thanks for telling me. I will be sure to avoid it at all costs! Kinda creepy eating where someone was murdered. Not for me, thanks.

Those who don't know about it usually are the ones who still eat there. Those who do know about it usually don't. Most people I know don't eat there. :lol:

By the way, I'm not sure anyone ever served any time for that murder either. The victim's husband was suspected but I don't believe they ever were able to pin it on him.

It really irritates me when people move to an area and expect it to never change. It's okay that they moved there, but by golly NOBODY else oughta be allowed to live there!

In Memphis, people opposed our newest, tallest One Beale...(get this)...because being in the shadow of the tower will make their utility bills go up in the winter. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

At any rate, I'm glad to see these NIMBY's lost (they did lose, didn't they?).

What is One Beale?

South Bossier has so much potential. All the new subdivisions, the new school soon to be built and CTC I am suprised that there has not been more retail development. The only thing I think that it could be is all the people that are anti-development and the bad neighborhoods on Barksdale Blvd.

South Bossier has so much potential. All the new subdivisions, the new school soon to be built and CTC I am suprised that there has not been more retail development. The only thing I think that it could be is all the people that are anti-development and the bad neighborhoods on Barksdale Blvd.

I think one of the biggest inhibitors to south Bossier's growth has always been its narrow shape. I also believe Jimmie Davis hinders its growth as well. But with the current parkway and its proposed southern extension, this should help. I still wish a twin span would be built for Jimmie Davis, but until then I could see some developments popping up.

The new area in south Bossier seems to be along Sligo Road, where the parkway will eventually be extended. Olde Oaks is filling up fast these days, and other new subdivisions are popping up along Sligo. In addition, Golden Meadows now goes out to Sligo Road, further adding to that area's population.

With all this growth in south Bossier as well, I agree that a Wal-Mart is needed - at least a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market! For whatever reason Wal-Mart has been reluctant to open any Neighborhood Market stores in this region, and I seriously wonder if it's because of the strong grasp that Brookshire's seems to have on the grocery market in this region.

I think one of the biggest inhibitors to south Bossier's growth has always been its narrow shape. I also believe Jimmie Davis hinders its growth as well. But with the current parkway and its proposed southern extension, this should help. I still wish a twin span would be built for Jimmie Davis, but until then I could see some developments popping up.

The new area in south Bossier seems to be along Sligo Road, where the parkway will eventually be extended. Olde Oaks is filling up fast these days, and other new subdivisions are popping up along Sligo. In addition, Golden Meadows now goes out to Sligo Road, further adding to that area's population.

With all this growth in south Bossier as well, I agree that a Wal-Mart is needed - at least a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market! For whatever reason Wal-Mart has been reluctant to open any Neighborhood Market stores in this region, and I seriously wonder if it's because of the strong grasp that Brookshire's seems to have on the grocery market in this region.

Another JDB span would help and is seriously needed. I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later. CVS just opened up not too long ago. Speaking of Sligo, I was down there a day or two ago and there was a large area of land being cleared and it had a residential builders sign on it. I cannot remember who it was though.

Another JDB span would help and is seriously needed. I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later. CVS just opened up not too long ago. Speaking of Sligo, I was down there a day or two ago and there was a large area of land being cleared and it had a residential builders sign on it. I cannot remember who it was though.

Yes, and the south Bossier CVS is very nice, like the new one on Airline. I sure hope our Haughton store will look like that! Of course out here, I'm thankful for whatever we can get. :wacko:

Hmmm... very interesting. I'm going to drive down Sligo this weekend. It's been a few weeks, and I can take the back way to southeast Shreveport from Haughton. I do it sometimes anyway, just to take the scenic route.

Yes, and the south Bossier CVS is very nice, like the new one on Airline. I sure hope our Haughton store will look like that! Of course out here, I'm thankful for whatever we can get. :wacko:

Hmmm... very interesting. I'm going to drive down Sligo this weekend. It's been a few weeks, and I can take the back way to southeast Shreveport from Haughton. I do it sometimes anyway, just to take the scenic route.

It's not too bad. It sure would be more scenic with another nice development, don't you think??? It would be nice to see some of that trash cleaned out of there!!!

It's not too bad. It sure would be more scenic with another nice development, don't you think??? It would be nice to see some of that trash cleaned out of there!!!

Yeah, Sligo has always been a backwoods area, but I honestly think it's changing. I believe Olde Oaks was the beginning, Golden Meadows was second, and now I foresee more developments popping up out there. I hope I'm correct.

FYI on the hotly-debated north Bossier apartments, a quote from that Times article reads as follows:

"The exterior of these apartments are going to be what you would see on a $300,000 home," said Jeff Dunman, Heritage Property representative. "You can not get the people we expect to live here and then not build to accommodate them."

Doesn't sound to me like something that is going to hrut property values. What do you think?

Edited by SBCmetroguy

FYI on the hotly-debated north Bossier apartments, a quote from that Times article reads as follows:

"The exterior of these apartments are going to be what you would see on a $300,000 home," said Jeff Dunman, Heritage Property representative. "You can not get the people we expect to live here and then not build to accommodate them."

Doesn't sound to me like something that is going to hrut property values. What do you think?

Of course not. I don't think that Stockwell Landing looks like $300K homes and if they look nicer than Stockwell Landing, should they really complain? I think that the only way they should complain is if it didn't look as good as or better that the surrounding homes standards; or it was not gated. I do think that apartments should be gated because if not it is definitely less attractive. BTW is Le Oaks gated?

Edited by jcasey

Of course not. I don't think that Stockwell Landing looks like $300K homes and if they look nicer than Stockwell Landing, should they really complain? I think that the only way they should complain is if it didn't look as good as or better that the surrounding homes standards; or it was not gated. I do think that apartments should be gated because if not it is definitely less attractive. BTW is Le Oaks gated?

Le Oaks is not gated. I had a friend in high school who lived in there. Sure, they're nice, AVERAGE middle-class homes, nothing special.

I think that, in this case, the people in the apartments need to be looking down their noses on the people in the homes. And no, I certainly don't condone snobbery; but if these people think they can be snobs about this development, just wait until they see the Lexus', Mercedes', Jags, Land Rovers, etc that their new neighbors will be driving.

Maybe they're just afraid they'll no longer be able to keep up with the Joneses? :P

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Le Oaks is not gated. I had a friend in high school who lived in there. Sure, they're nice, AVERAGE middle-class homes, nothing special.

I think that, in this case, the people in the apartments need to be looking down their noses on the people in the homes. And no, I certainly don't condone snobbery; but if these people think they can be snobs about this development, just wait until they see the Lexus', Mercedes', Jags, Land Rovers, etc that their new neighbors will be driving.

Maybe they're just afraid they'll no longer be able to keep up with the Joneses? :P

It is possible. How much do homes go for in Le Oaks? FYI there are Jags, Lexus', BMWs, Mercedes, and Cadillacs in Stockwell Landing. Go through the Stockwell subdivisions and see if you see that. You may a couple of times. That is another perk to apartment living, low debt to income ratio. You tend to have more credit.

Edited by jcasey

From other thread, was having lunch with 2 brothers from Monroe.

Anyway, one brother has lived in Monroe all is life and cannot see how crappy it is. The other has been around and lived in Atlanta for several years and agrees with me. They were over here because the one that lived in ATL was setting up that new ATM machine for Iberia bank at Uptown Shopping Center. I was telling them of all the development and the new things we are getting and also knocking on Monroe. I asked why he would want to live in such a dying place. As many know 2 yrs ago they lost State Farm (1100 emp) and are now in the process of losing The Guide Plant (800 emp). I was telling him he needs to come to a happening place like SBC. I guess I just like to brag about SBC!!!

Edited by jcasey

It is possible. How much do homes go for in Le Oaks? FYI there are Jags, Lexus', BMWs, Mercedes, and Cadillacs in Stockwell Landing. Go through the Stockwell subdivisions and see if you see that. You may a couple of times. That is another perk to apartment living, low debt to income ratio. You tend to have more credit.

I don't know... $150,000-$185,000 maybe? Very similar to most every other similar subdivision I'd assume. It's definitely not Spring Lake or Victorian Pointe.

From other thread, was having lunch with 2 brothers from Monroe.

Anyway, one brother has lived in Monroe all is life and cannot see how crappy it is. The other has been around and lived in Atlanta for several years and agrees with me. They were over here because the one that lived in ATL was setting up that new ATM machine for Iberia bank at Uptown Shopping Center. I was telling them of all the development and the new things we are getting and also knocking on Monroe. I asked why he would want to live in such a dying place. As many know 2 yrs ago they lost State Farm (1100 emp) and are now in the process of losing The Guide Plant (800 emp). I was telling him he needs to come to a happening place like SBC. I guess I just like to brag about SBC!!!

I like to brag as well. For so many years we had nothing to brag about in this region, and now we suddenly seem to have everything to brag about.

Every time we have our friends in from Texarkana or other surrounding areas we try to sell them on moving here. From the Boardwalk, to Rockets Over the Red, to the great restaurants, it definitely makes them think about it. We even had one couple we're friends with looking at houses on our street. They ended up not making such a drastic move afterall, but it would have been nice anyway.

I hate to bash or take away from any city (mainly because Shreveport was ridiculed for so many years during our major local depression,) but if I know someone would be better off financially, and altogether happier here, I'll do whatever I can to make them fall in love with the area.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Well, if that is all that those homes in Le Oaks cost, I am with you (not that I wasn't the whole time) in believing that they have nothing to turn their noses up at. You are right it would add value to their homes.

Yeah, I would love to see some of my friends from Monroe move here. I think they would be better off. The reasons that they hang on is family and friends. There is really nothing else keeping them there. I am glad I moved back!

On another note, the money was approved for the track renovation to lure the SWAC conference championships here and possibly eventually lure the SWAC headquarters here.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611290332/1002

One more update, here is the story on the James Avery Jewelry Store opening.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611280312/1064

Edited by jcasey

Well, if that is all that those homes in Le Oaks cost, I am with you (not that I wasn't the whole time) in believing that they have nothing to turn their noses up at. You are right it would add value to their homes.

Yeah, I would love to see some of my friends from Monroe move here. I think they would be better off. The reasons that they hang on is family and friends. There is really nothing else keeping them there. I am glad I moved back!

On another note, the money was approved for the track renovation to lure the SWAC conference championships here and possibly eventually lure the SWAC headquarters here.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611290332/1002

One more update, here is the story on the James Avery Jewelry Store opening.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611280312/1064

Yeah, I can understand family ties keeping someone in an area. But hell, Monroe is only 90 miles down I-20. I didn't move to Chicago because I didn't want to be that far from my family, but we're talking about 800-900 miles, not 80-90. :lol:

James Avery opened at the beginning of the month and my wife can't stay out of there. She grew up with that store out in west Texas and LOVES it.

Also, good to see the council voted for something worthwhile, and I hope we are able to lure the entire conference headquarters. That would be great.