Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Shreveport-Bossier is very heavily rooted in the arts, as is evidenced by the billboards showcasing local artists' works, the murals located all over our twin cities, and the artistic city buses.

murals on walls and painted buses are evidence of an artistic city? I think you forgot to include those god awful metal sculpitures on the riverfront as well as proof that we are a creative mecca! :rofl:

^ Wow, dingo, I must agree with Stephen. You really are ignorant to what is going on with the Robinson Film Center.

I guess we'll see

This kind of thinking is just the type that tries to keep Shreveport from progressing; but when all is said and done, I know Robinson will be a success and the film festival will continue to grow into a very successful venue.

Actually, I can think of a thousand things that Shreveport does that keeps it from progressing. I seriously doubt that my belief that the film center is not going to be successful is whats holding us back.

I also think - no, I know - that you're seriously underestimating the arts community in Shreveport-Bossier. It's an enormous scene, hence the funding of events and public arts displays that it does.

you mean like the yearly news stories about how the Strand is begging for money due to lack of attendance?

this is becoming ludicrous. dingo, you are aware of the anti-city bashing policy UP has? remarkably close to that very thin, fine line.

excuse me? So because I dont think a film center is going to be successful on friggin texas st that somehow im anti-city?

wow....just wow. Is that the reason why there are only a few posters who contribute on this board?

you mean like the yearly news stories about how the Strand is begging for money due to lack of attendance?

Hardly... how about:

ArtSpace

Architectural firms located in the West Edge

Strand Theatre - Still bringing in Broadway-quality productions last time I checked

Southern University Museum of art

Robinson Film Center

River Cities Repertory theatre

Tipitina's

Odyssey sound lab

NW Louisiana Art Gallery / Bistineau Gallery

Minicine

Municiple Auditorium

West Edge Artist Co-op / art gallery

Shreveport Symphony Orchestra

Shreveport Regional arts council

Bossier Arts Council

I hate to break the news to you...but producers arent coming to Shreveport because of the "artsy" reputation of the ark-la-tex. They are here for one reason and ONE reason only. Thats because of the tax credits offered by the state. If Little Rock Arkansas were to develop better tax breaks then all the business here would IMMEDIATLY pack up and move. They did that in the mid 90's when they were in Carolina and then went to Canada and they went from New Orleans to Shreveport. Its all about money and dont fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Um, no one said that film production came to Shreveport due to an "artsy" reputation. We all know about the state tax incentives and hurricane katrina. The point Rardy was trying to make is that a film center will help develop Shreveport's reputation as an arts-oriented city - and it will. Having resources such as a major film center will also help keep the film industry in SBC. No one's saying that it's Milan, but you have to give Shreveport credit for all the progress it's made just over the last 5 years.

Actually, I can think of a thousand things that Shreveport does that keeps it from progressing. I seriously doubt that my belief that the film center is not going to be successful is whats holding us back.

SBC is progressing - very well actually. If you need tangible proof, MSNBC just reported that Shreveport is the new Hollywood South: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15939486/

If Shreveport wasn't truly progressing, the film industry wouldn't be hanging around. They would've packed up and headed back south. The reality is Shreveport stepped up to the plate and created an infrastructure to support the productions. Production companies, casting agencies, production equipment rentals - all of these organizations have offices in New Orleans AND Shreveport. Shreveport is progressing in a big way, and this is just ONE industry I've elaborated on.

excuse me? So because I dont think a film center is going to be successful on friggin texas st that somehow im anti-city?

wow....just wow. Is that the reason why there are only a few posters who contribute on this board?

There are ways to express opposition to a project. There are also ways to bash a city, condemn it for its drawbacks, and alienate yourself on a forum, all of which I think you just stumbled across.

friday, I really don't think this is worth the time.

So anyway, I heard about this new project down on Texas St. called the Robinson Film Center. It looks viable and could really help Shreveport attract more of the film industry. Have you guys heard of it? :D

We're gonna be the next Sundance...right? HA! hey, theres nothing wrong with being a dreamer...dream all you want. Meanwhile...im still going to preach about security and parking and housing. And when I say housing I dont mean revamping some ghetto old buildings and turning them into "affordable" housing. I mean actual NEW buildings. People in Shreveport have this ridiculous notion that just because a building is old that its somehow relevant in todays world.

Two things:

OK, one things I'm noticing that you do is take something out of context and then spin it very pessimistically. I never said the LA Film Fest would be the next Sundance. The point I was making is that cultural events such as film festivals are a very positive thing to a city, regardless of their size. And Sundance didn't happen over night, it was a gradual growth that lead it to be what it is today. And the LA Film Fest could very well turn out to be a major regional and/or national film festival in itself. It will grow.

Secondly, most American cities have trouble revitalizing their urban cores. Poor lighting, lack of quality housing and parking are very commom problems. Shreveport is not unique in this sense. These problems take lots of time, planning and money to resolve. A part of this urban renewal is adaptive reuse, which is converting older (usually vacant) buildings into new housing/retail. When developers come in and spend money on renovations, they include improved lighting, parking and security. This is a sign of a gentrified downtown area, and is a very good thing for any city. You can't sit back and "preach" about security, parking and housing - then in the next sentence say revamping old buildings is a bad thing. You obviously know very little about urban issues.

This is targeted to a very narrow group of west edge dreamers and your ocassional film fest. But hey, like I said, go ahead and dream...as long as you dont use tax money for this then knock yourselves out.

Why don't you try developing some cultural for yourself and supporting places like the RFC, instead of sitting back and coming up with reasons why it won't succeed.

There are ways to express opposition to a project. There are also ways to bash a city, condemn it for its drawbacks, and alienate yourself on a forum, all of which I think you just stumbled across.

So anyway, I heard about this new project down on Texas St. called the Robinson Film Center. It looks viable and could really help Shreveport attract more of the film industry. Have you guys heard of it? :D

:-) I'll be at the opening ceremony!

You know, I have heard of that. Sounds nice. I think it will be another feather in the cap of the West Edge, which - though some might ignorantly disagree - is very much a thriving arts district for a city of only 200,000 and a metro of only 400,000.

Robinson Film Center will be an excellent addition to not only the West Edge, but the entire area. The nearest similar theater is in Dallas, and many people from here drive over there for films and events.

Cantina Laredo is now open! I passed thru there about an hour ago, and it was jumping (packed).

I'd heard it was open but haven't been by there yet. I'm very glad to know it's doing well. A friend of mine said he's planning to try it this weekend sometime, so I'll see what he thinks. He's a good food critic (most of the time.) Usually he sucks at criticizing Chinese food, but he seems to do well with other foods.

I'm losing weight right now (I was up to 300 lbs) so I've got to be careful. On Atkins I'm not sure what I can eat at Cantina Laredo, otherwise I'd already have eaten there! I'm going to view their menu online, though, and see what I can eat there.

FYI: I was on Bert Kouns earlier this evening and I noticed a sign on the site at Bert Kouns and I-49. There's a website for what's being developed there, Stevens Village Properties.

They have plenty of photos of the property on their website, and even a plat showing the parcels that are available. I just can't find anything that tells exactly what kind of businesses they're trying to attract to the development. I hate developments that are a total hodge podge, so I hope it turns out nice, whatever it will be.

Also, I noticed a new Taco Bell will be constructed at the southwestern corner of Mansfield and Colquitt Roads. That's the first new Taco Bell to be built in this region in quite some time, since we've always been pretty well covered by those major fast-food chains, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. It's just good to see something new being constructed in that area. It's the first of many new things which will be constructed along Mansfield Road from Colquitt Road south to around Wal-Mart.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I'm losing weight right now (I was up to 300 lbs) so I've got to be careful. On Atkins I'm not sure what I can eat at Cantina Laredo, otherwise I'd already have eaten there! I'm going to view their menu online, though, and see what I can eat there.

How do you do Atkins? I was on that one time and it made me sooo sick. If it didn't work, I would think it was the worst diet ever!

How do you do Atkins? I was on that one time and it made me sooo sick. If it didn't work, I would think it was the worst diet ever!

The sickness usually comes 2-4 days into it, and you get over it completely after week 1 if you're following the plan. I've done Atkins before, but as with all diets, I'd allowed myself to binge over the holidays and it was all over. I'm doing great over the holidays this year: one bad holiday gorge-fest, and then right back on plan the very next day. That typically will spur a large loss in the week of the gorge-fest as well.

I love Atkins. I'd gotten re-introudced by it recently by a co-worker who's lost a lot of weight on it. Then I discovered another one who's on it as well. They didn't even know about one another being on it actually. After seeing the one guy's progress I figured I'd try it again. It was very hard to break my sweets addiction once again, but I've been highly successful. I had the enormous Colorado Omelette tonight at IHOP, and enjoyed that huge beast as my wife ate her pancakes and whatever else she had.

I think I'm doing okay, though... I weighed in at 273 this morning.

The sickness usually comes 2-4 days into it, and you get over it completely after week 1 if you're following the plan. I've done Atkins before, but as with all diets, I'd allowed myself to binge over the holidays and it was all over. I'm doing great over the holidays this year: one bad holiday gorge-fest, and then right back on plan the very next day. That typically will spur a large loss in the week of the gorge-fest as well.

I love Atkins. I'd gotten re-introudced by it recently by a co-worker who's lost a lot of weight on it. Then I discovered another one who's on it as well. They didn't even know about one another being on it actually. After seeing the one guy's progress I figured I'd try it again. It was very hard to break my sweets addiction once again, but I've been highly successful. I had the enormous Colorado Omelette tonight at IHOP, and enjoyed that huge beast as my wife ate her pancakes and whatever else she had.

I think I'm doing okay, though... I weighed in at 273 this morning.

That's cool, if you can handle it, more power to you. I just could not do it. If it were not for getting sick it is a cool diet. All meat all the time!!!

That's cool, if you can handle it, more power to you. I just could not do it. If it were not for getting sick it is a cool diet. All meat all the time!!!

In the words of Ronald McDonald, I'm lovin it. :D

I bought my fryer and most of the week I have Buffalo wings for dinner. But I have the occasional steak, and usually have eggs & bacon for breakfast. At IHOP I always get a side salad and that enormous Colorado Omelette. I love that thing.

I think the reason I was able to get over the sickness this time was the fact that I HAD to do something and I needed something that starts working immediately. When I put on a pair of pants a few weeks back and they barely fit, I knew it was time to change. Well, I knew it was time to get out of denial. I was always a thin, athletic guy and now I'm a fat guy with bad health problems in my mid-20s. But hey, I'm getting back to where I need to be, one Buffalo wing at a time!! :D

Maybe WingStop will hire me to be their 'Jared.' No one would believe I've lost nearly 20 pounds eating mostly Buffalo wings.

I bought my fryer and most of the week I have Buffalo wings for dinner. But I have the occasional steak, and usually have eggs & bacon for breakfast. At IHOP I always get a side salad and that enormous Colorado Omelette. I love that thing.

I think the reason I was able to get over the sickness this time was the fact that I HAD to do something and I needed something that starts working immediately. When I put on a pair of pants a few weeks back and they barely fit, I knew it was time to change. Well, I knew it was time to get out of denial. I was always a thin, athletic guy and now I'm a fat guy with bad health problems in my mid-20s. But hey, I'm getting back to where I need to be, one Buffalo wing at a time!! :D

Maybe WingStop will hire me to be their 'Jared.' No one would believe I've lost nearly 20 pounds eating mostly Buffalo wings.

That just seems so odd. Buffalo wings all week long and still losing weight. All the talk of omelettes is making me green. Something about all those eggs and all that cheese makes me sick. I cannot eat an omelette. :sick: I'm glad it works for you because I could not do it if I had too. Maybe when you're done you could pitch it to WingStop! Isn't Troy Aikman their guy?

Edited by jcasey

Wow! That's cool! Maybe I should try that because I love chicken wings. When I go to IHOP I always get the breakfast sampler.

Wow! That's cool! Maybe I should try that because I love chicken wings. When I go to IHOP I always get the breakfast sampler.

The breakfast sampler is the dish that has bacon, eggs, sausage, etc right? I think that's considered a 'carb conscious' meal on their 'IHOP for me' dietary menu. Less tha 15g of carbs in that meal.

About a half hour ago I finished an omelette from Waffle House. Theirs are good, too! This one had mushrooms and jalapenos in it with REALLY made it good! :)

Two things:

OK, one things I'm noticing that you do is take something out of context and then spin it very pessimistically. I never said the LA Film Fest would be the next Sundance. The point I was making is that cultural events such as film festivals are a very positive thing to a city, regardless of their size. And Sundance didn't happen over night, it was a gradual growth that lead it to be what it is today. And the LA Film Fest could very well turn out to be a major regional and/or national film festival in itself. It will grow.

Taking something out of context? How so. You think the film center is going to do wonders for downtown Shreveport if not the greater Shreveport area. I think thats ridiculous and think that its destined to fail. Stop getting all worked up just because someone doesn’t share the same vision as you do.

Secondly, most American cities have trouble revitalizing their urban cores. Poor lighting, lack of quality housing and parking are very commom problems. Shreveport is not unique in this sense. These problems take lots of time, planning and money to resolve. A part of this urban renewal is adaptive reuse, which is converting older (usually vacant) buildings into new housing/retail. When developers come in and spend money on renovations, they include improved lighting, parking and security. This is a sign of a gentrified downtown area, and is a very good thing for any city. You can't sit back and "preach" about security, parking and housing - then in the next sentence say revamping old buildings is a bad thing. You obviously know very little about urban issues.

I know a great deal about urban issues. I used to live in New Orleans. That city has the biggest hard on for clutching onto old architecture than any other city in the country. Looks where that narrow minded train of thought got them.. NOWHERE. Its a dead city and was long before Katrina hit it. All because they wanted to stay in their myopia vision of the glory days while failing to look to the future. Hey..you know what New Orleans needs!...a film center! Thats sure to get them back on track!

Why don't you try developing some cultural for yourself and supporting places like the RFC, instead of sitting back and coming up with reasons why it won't succeed.

you mean "why dont you go with the crowd and live in a pipe dream?"...no thanks. Im a realist. Maybe the film center will be successful.....Im betting it wont. So stop crying just because I dont share your vision.

oh give me a break already. You guys have some real issues you know that? Heaven forbid that someone talk about a project that you are sooooo in love with. You act as if I just walked into your home and slapped your mother.

well thats god to hear that your not going to play Mr Rogers in this thread anymore. Maybe now we can move on

We can agree and disagree in a decent manner. If not, Nate will have to come in and make some changes to this thread. I don't want this to happen, so let's debate in a civil manner and not get personal.

its all cool. Ive already said what I wanted to say and theyve alread said what they want to say. No need to get the board nazi in here and deleting stuff. Surely nobody on here takes typed text on a message board seriously...do they?