Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

The Airline Drive building to house Bossier's latest Starbucks is coming along. I drove by there just a little while ago. That whole Airline corridor is just amazing. I drove down Vanceville Road and saw where the new townhomes will go, as well as yet another branch of Citizens National Bank at the corner of Airline and Vanceville. I saw a TON of huge pieces of property along Airline Drive with 'Zoning Change' signs posted. :w00t:

Awesome! I'll be coming to SBC Thursday morning thru the weekend for the holidays. I have Friday all to myself with my parents and sister working, I definitely plan to check out the development along Airline and other parts of north Bossier. Like I've said before, I haven't driven through there in 8+ years, basically since I've lived in L.A. I know I'm going to be blown away!!

Awesome! I'll be coming to SBC Thursday morning thru the weekend for the holidays. I have Friday all to myself with my parents and sister working, I definitely plan to check out the development along Airline and other parts of north Bossier. Like I've said before, I haven't driven through there in 8+ years, basically since I've lived in L.A. I know I'm going to be blown away!!

Get with me via PM or email ([email protected]) and maybe we can meet up for a a short time while you're here this time! :thumbsup: Last time, I completely overslept and didn't get to catch you before you flew back to L.A.

Another something I saw, which caught my attention: on Old Minden Road, just off I-20, is a RaceWay gas station. Next door to this gas station was a Chinese Buffet. This buffet closed recently and another buffet took it over. WELL, today we were driving some friends around and we noticed the building was torn down, and just a pile of rubble. I wonder what kind of plans they have for that lot, if any. It's basically in the front yard of a middle school, so I don't know if maybe the school wanted better visibility or if something new is planned for that spot. I'll be watching it, though.

On this note, I believe the only Chinese Buffet left in Bossier is Chef Lee. Chinese Buffets were REALLY popular around here 5 years ago, but there aren't many left. I love them, even though they're bad.

SBC,

My wife and I went to the new Starbucks in Uptown Shopping Center today and we got a nugget of info for you.

The manager there told us that they are planning many more locations in Shreveport in the next few years. I asked them if there were any plans to build one near my location (Southern Hills), to my surprise we were informed that they are going to build one at the intersection of I-49 and Bert Kouns. Though no specific date was given they implied that we should expect it in the later half of 2007.

I wonder, could it be one of the tracts of land being cleared by Regional Urology?

It would make sense, considering how many doctors are in the vacinity.

We all know how doctors love coffee.

Later,

Mudbugger

SBC,

My wife and I went to the new Starbucks in Uptown Shopping Center today and we got a nugget of info for you.

The manager there told us that they are planning many more locations in Shreveport in the next few years. I asked them if there were any plans to build one near my location (Southern Hills), to my surprise we were informed that they are going to build one at the intersection of I-49 and Bert Kouns. Though no specific date was given they implied that we should expect it in the later half of 2007.

I wonder, could it be one of the tracts of land being cleared by Regional Urology?

It would make sense, considering how many doctors are in the vacinity.

We all know how doctors love coffee.

Later,

Mudbugger

That's a GOLDEN nugget of information, my friend! :) With all the locations we already have, plus those still under construction, for them to build "many more" over the next few years is quite impressive. Very interesting about I-49 @ Bert Kouns, now I'm REALLY curious! Or perhaps a remodel of the East Side Plaza (is that what it's called?) could be in the works? That's the plaza where Harbor Freight is, and there's a call center in there as well.

By the way, what did you think of the Uptown Starbucks? Was it basically the same as all the others, or did it have a different feel? I like the water feature surrounding the patio area... was it working?

SBC,

The new Starbucks definitely had a new feel to it and i think it is the nicest in the area.

It even has a small stage, i presume for open mic nights and bands.

As far as the East Ridge Plaza shopping center. I doubt that they will ever do anything new to it because the Centurytel call center takes up over half of that center.

I think that the land being cleared by Regional Urology is the most likely choice to locate the new Starbucks.

The Alltel and Centurytel call centers will provide them with alot of business, not to mention all the doctors in the area will probably frequent it as well.

Mudbugger

SBC,

The new Starbucks definitely had a new feel to it and i think it is the nicest in the area.

It even has a small stage, i presume for open mic nights and bands.

As far as the East Ridge Plaza shopping center. I doubt that they will ever do anything new to it because the Centurytel call center takes up over half of that center.

I think that the land being cleared by Regional Urology is the most likely choice to locate the new Starbucks.

The Alltel and Centurytel call centers will provide them with alot of business, not to mention all the doctors in the area will probably frequent it as well.

Mudbugger

Very true, my friend, very true! It's hard to believe there are so many people working in that area these days, particularly call center employees and medical staff.

Hmmmm... I'm going to have to go to that new Starbucks! :)

^^ My first stop Friday morning.

The new $2.2M Benton library grand opening is today:

Shreveport Times Grand opening for Benton library Sunday

hey I drove by that area thats being cleared off of bert kouns and I-49.. I saw a sign but couldnt read it very wel... it said "something VILLAGE" contractors name or eh I dunno It's a big property being developed I know that!

hey I drove by that area thats being cleared off of bert kouns and I-49.. I saw a sign but couldnt read it very wel... it said "something VILLAGE" contractors name or eh I dunno It's a big property being developed I know that!

Craig, here's what you're talking about. :)

http://www.stevensvillageproperties.com/

On the subject of Starbucks, I did get a chance to go into the Uptown Starbucks this afternoon after shopping at Dee's Photo, and let me say that is one impressive Starbucks! VERY tall ceilings, tall windows, a stage as Mudbugger mentioned previously, and just a really classy look. It's very different from other Starbucks locations I've been in, including others in metro Shreveport-Bossier.

We need a Starbucks in Haughton now. :D

Here's the article from the Times dated Dec. 12 describing Barksdale as one of three air force bases that is being considered for a long-planned training camp:

Barksdale mission expansion topic of public meeting tonight

"The chosen base would gain 166 buildings at 124,192 square meters, with up to 9,000 acres -- just under 14 square miles -- required for field training..."

D952336121.JPG

According to a comparison done by the Shreveport Times of the three bases in the running for the new Air Force training center, Barksdale is the best candidate.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../612160328/1007

Yahoo is reporting that Harrah's accepted a buyout. I wonder how this will affect our Harrah's. This may be another reason they never built the hotel. Will there be a name change? I hope that Harrah's doesn't end up like Isle of Capri did, nice place gone sleezy. Here's the story about the buyout.

Harrah's said to agree to $16.7B buyout

Edited by jcasey

Oh Hi everyone! My computer has been on the blink and finally got it back and running (what a nightmare). People think I'm crazy for paying so much for a cup of joe, but I absolutely love Starbucks. Being on the road all day and subjected to lousy coffee which I call "potrot", I long to hi :wub: t SB's. Love it.

I hope that Harrah's doesn't end up like Isle of Capri did, nice place gone sleezy.

Thanks for posting that article. I hope it doesn't end up like Isle of Capri also, but the buyout could mean the new owners will invest more money into SBC's local properties. My guess is there won't be a name change - the Harrah's name has a reputation and the new owner's should see the value in that. Anything could happen though!

Starbucks doesn't charge anymore than any other coffee shop. Where else would you buy your coffee... besides maybe a gas station or fast food place. :sick:

This is very true FiLA, I have had more bad cups of coffee from the gas stations than anywhere. No one ever cleans the pots and some brands of coffee are not very tasty. This is one thing I can call myself passionate about. Had a great cup of coffee after dinner coffee (with Bailey's Irish Creme) at Don's Seafood sat. night. Tops off that wonderful bread pudding so well! :P

It's good to be back, Brian. I have a lot of catching up to do. want to go to uptown Starbucks asap.

Hope all is well with your computer now. I know how bad it is when your computer is acting up and you can't do much with it!

And yes, once you've checked out the Uptown Starbucks, be sure and tell us what you think! I've been in so many Starbucks stores that are all the same, but this one is just nicer.

Hope all is well with your computer now. I know how bad it is when your computer is acting up and you can't do much with it!

And yes, once you've checked out the Uptown Starbucks, be sure and tell us what you think! I've been in so many Starbucks stores that are all the same, but this one is just nicer.

Will do, Cap'n!

Starbucks doesn't charge anymore than any other coffee shop. Where else would you buy your coffee... besides maybe a gas station or fast food place. :sick:

Stephen, I've got a good one for you. How about The Coffee Bean!!! I know you know what I'm talking about. That is one of my first stops when I hit LA!!!

Stephen, I've got a good one for you. How about The Coffee Bean!!! I know you know what I'm talking about. That is one of my first stops when I hit LA!!!

Starbucks is always a favorite, but The Coffee Bean is second to NONE! There's actually one on the bottom floor of my building :) One of the reasons I bought a place here in my new building. I'd be down there right now if they weren't closed. :D

Starbucks is always a favorite, but The Coffee Bean is second to NONE! There's actually one on the bottom floor of my building :) One of the reasons I bought a place here in my new building. I'd be down there right now if they weren't closed. :D

Wait, wait, wait, you have one in your building!?! :w00t: That is soooo awesome. Some guys do have all the luck. I just wish I had one, let alone one in my building. I also could not agree with you more that it is second to none! Wow, I'm so jealous!

Wait, wait, wait, you have one in your building!?! :w00t: That is soooo awesome. Some guys do have all the luck. I just wish I had one, let alone one in my building. I also could not agree with you more that it is second to none! Wow, I'm so jealous!

When Stephen and I met up on Friday, I asked him a bit more about the building he lives in. Beyond the condos and the coffee shop, it sounds like a very impressive mixed-use development. And we both agreed that some mixed-use spaces should be developed in downtown Shreveport to change this market's way of thinking. Mixed-use developments are probably the best way to get people enjoying all of downtown Shreveport, rather than just the riverfront.

When Stephen and I met up on Friday, I asked him a bit more about the building he lives in. Beyond the condos and the coffee shop, it sounds like a very impressive mixed-use development. And we both agreed that some mixed-use spaces should be developed in downtown Shreveport to change this market's way of thinking. Mixed-use developments are probably the best way to get people enjoying all of downtown Shreveport, rather than just the riverfront.

That's cool and I think you are right, we need things downtown like that to make people want to live there. People do not just want to live there with nothing to do. It's like what we were talking about on the other thread, it sucks being so far away from things. If you live downtown, you should be able to walk to coffee shops and grocery stores.