Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Sounds like a nice way to revitalize a decaying neighborhood. Great news!

IF... and only IF... it is built as planned. I can see a lot of room for error in a neighborhood like that.

By the way, KSLA News 12 reported at 10:00 that the Shreveport Convention Center's first 6 months have been a tremendous success, far outpacing predictions. The hotel is scheduled for a January opening, it now seems. They don't have this news item online yet, but if I find it I'll post it.

IF... and only IF... it is built as planned. I can see a lot of room for error in a neighborhood like that.

By the way, KSLA News 12 reported at 10:00 that the Shreveport Convention Center's first 6 months have been a tremendous success, far outpacing predictions. The hotel is scheduled for a January opening, it now seems. They don't have this news item online yet, but if I find it I'll post it.

Hopefully it will turn out well. Afterall, the developer did say he was inspired by God. ;)

I was just wondering a few days ago how the convention center was doing! So it's a mega success, and I think the hotel will only help once it's open. Awesome! There has got to be interest in developing the area around the convention center... public and private. It is still early, but I'm surprised we haven't heard more of that.

And here it is... :D

To all the naysayers, Shreveport's convention center exceeded its goals for the first YEAR in the first six months!

By June 30, 103 events had been held there since January and 137,500 people came through the doors.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...50314/1002/NEWS

Over the next six months, even more events, such as an event by the renowned T.D. Jakes, will be held in the center.

And yes, the hotel will further enhance the property.

That's really cool! Shreveport and Bossier just continue to explode with growth! As for Cedar Grove, I can only hope for the best. I like the fact that they have so many large older homes.

I definitely wish the Cedar Grove project the best. I hope it's successful, and I really hate to be a naysayer. I just know that, over the years, the neighborhood has only continued to decay into the absolute worst neighborhood in Shreveport as far as crime goes. Anything that might possibly help to change that is welcomed by me!!

Anyway, yeah the area is continuing to grow fast and I'm really happy and proud of that fact. And the convention center's stats are awesome, considering some of the larger conferences that visit this area go to CenturyTel Center and the smaller ones go to the Bossier Civic Center and Shreveport's old Convention Hall. It appears that there's plenty of space to accomodate conventions and gatherings of most (not all) sizes.

Chimp Haven will release 19 more chimpanzees into a new 4.5-acre habitat on the property. So far Chimp Haven is home to 57 chimpanzees and will eventually house up to 200. Phase II of the sanctuary is under construction now as well.

Chimp Haven is located in the town of Keithville, which is located to the immediate southwest of Shreveport.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60725017

Until they root out all of the criminal elements in the area the idea of a gated community will not work in Cedar Grove.

Let's just be realistic.

Gated community in that area of town will not work as long as you have the crime and gang presence that basically rules that part of town.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Mudbugger

Until they root out all of the criminal elements in the area the idea of a gated community will not work in Cedar Grove.

Let's just be realistic.

Gated community in that area of town will not work as long as you have the crime and gang presence that basically rules that part of town.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Mudbugger

What aspect wouldn't work? People woulldn't wouldn't buy in the gated community or the gates wouldn't keep out the crime? I'm not familiar with the area, but I think it's worth a try. Sounds like the home prices will be in the low to mid 100s - so I don't think they're trying to bring in affluent people. Maybe they're trying to offer existing residents of Cedar Grove a safer (or perceived safer) home buying option. I think it could be great for those who need that.

The problem with a gated community in Cedar Grove is that, without a serious decline in crime, you will constantly have these nicer than normal homes getting broken into and the people who just moved in will start to move out.

Think of it like this.

You are on the Titanic and the ship is already sinking.

Do you really think that moving a few deckchairs is going to accomplish anything to save the ship?

Of course not.

The thing to do in this case is to increase the police presence, install cameras and get more of the citizens to help out by using a community watch to help the police. Too many people in that part of town are just plain scared and are afraid to speak up against the crime for fear that they will become another statistic.

Real change begins from within and i don't mean in the neighborhood, i mean from the hearts and souls of those who live there. Until they get fed up and tell the criminals that they have had enough, they will never be free of crime and the idea of a gated community will never work there.

Just a rant,

Mudbugger

P.S.

Did anyone see that Hightower's left hand woman (I'm sorry but there is a joke there and i refuse to use it) Liz Swaine has stepped down so she can run for mayor.

Good luck Liz. I just hope you aren't going to be like Ed Bradley and refuse to tell us what your positions on the issues are.

The problem with a gated community in Cedar Grove is that, without a serious decline in crime, you will constantly have these nicer than normal homes getting broken into and the people who just moved in will start to move out.

Think of it like this.

You are on the Titanic and the ship is already sinking.

Do you really think that moving a few deckchairs is going to accomplish anything to save the ship?

Of course not.

The thing to do in this case is to increase the police presence, install cameras and get more of the citizens to help out by using a community watch to help the police. Too many people in that part of town are just plain scared and are afraid to speak up against the crime for fear that they will become another statistic.

Real change begins from within and i don't mean in the neighborhood, i mean from the hearts and souls of those who live there. Until they get fed up and tell the criminals that they have had enough, they will never be free of crime and the idea of a gated community will never work there.

Just a rant,

Mudbugger

I agree that real change has to come from within. I know that a lot of good older people in Cedar Grove are fed up and want change, but they're far outnumbered these days.

Did anyone see that Hightower's left hand woman (I'm sorry but there is a joke there and i refuse to use it) Liz Swaine has stepped down so she can run for mayor.

Good luck Liz. I just hope you aren't going to be like Ed Bradley and refuse to tell us what your positions on the issues are.

Liz already wouldn't have my vote, if I could vote in Shreveport anymore. When I expressed my opposition to something Mayor Hightower did a couple years back, she took the liberty of calling me a "pinhead" for him. Way to serve the public, Ms. Swaine!!! ;)

I definitely wish the Cedar Grove project the best. I hope it's successful, and I really hate to be a naysayer. I just know that, over the years, the neighborhood has only continued to decay into the absolute worst neighborhood in Shreveport as far as crime goes. Anything that might possibly help to change that is welcomed by me!!

Anyway, yeah the area is continuing to grow fast and I'm really happy and proud of that fact. And the convention center's stats are awesome, considering some of the larger conferences that visit this area go to CenturyTel Center and the smaller ones go to the Bossier Civic Center and Shreveport's old Convention Hall. It appears that there's plenty of space to accomodate conventions and gatherings of most (not all) sizes.

I didn't know that Cedar Grove was the worst neighborhood in Shreveport. I thought that was Allendale? I bet the next time I visit Shreveport there will be so much to see and do. Texarkana was supposed to get a convention center but the city seems to be dragging their feet about it. Anyway, you do an awesome job keeping us up to speed on what's going on in Shreveport/Bossier! Keep up the good work!

I agree that real change has to come from within. I know that a lot of good older people in Cedar Grove are fed up and want change, but they're far outnumbered these days.

Liz already wouldn't have my vote, if I could vote in Shreveport anymore. When I expressed my opposition to something Mayor Hightower did a couple years back, she took the liberty of calling me a "pinhead" for him. Way to serve the public, Ms. Swaine!!! ;)

Why did she call you a pinhead? What was the situation?

Why did she call you a pinhead? What was the situation?

I honestly don't remember. I just recall having sent an email to the Mayor's email address (apparently letters to him are screened by her first,) expressing my opposition and disappointment toward something the mayor did. I can't recall for sure, but for some reason the big parking lot off Clyde Fant Parkway comes to mind. But there was more than one item I'd complained about. Never did I call names or anything, but I did come across pretty strong. Still, it doesn't serve Swaine, Hightower, or the public well to respond to criticism with a personal attack. So naturally I struck back at her with some pretty personal attacks before cooling down and just letting it go.

Anyway, that's all in the past but I'll never forget her blatant disregard for this Shreveport voter at the time.

I honestly don't remember. I just recall having sent an email to the Mayor's email address (apparently letters to him are screened by her first,) expressing my opposition and disappointment toward something the mayor did. I can't recall for sure, but for some reason the big parking lot off Clyde Fant Parkway comes to mind. But there was more than one item I'd complained about. Never did I call names or anything, but I did come across pretty strong. Still, it doesn't serve Swaine, Hightower, or the public well to respond to criticism with a personal attack. So naturally I struck back at her with some pretty personal attacks before cooling down and just letting it go.

Anyway, that's all in the past but I'll never forget her blatant disregard for this Shreveport voter at the time.

I remember when she was an anchorwoman on KTBS Channel 3 (I think). I know she's been in local politics since, but thats how I remember her. She always seemed a little "feisty".

I remember when she was an anchorwoman on KTBS Channel 3 (I think). I know she's been in local politics since, but thats how I remember her. She always seemed a little "feisty".

Yep, she was on KTBS for a long while. I remember being so star-struck when I met her in person as a child. I was in the K-Mart in Bossier with my parents and I saw her, so I had to go over and say "Are you Liz Swaine from the news!?!?" Of course she was really sweet back to me and said "I sure am!" Who'd have guessed that nearly 20 years later she'd call that same kid a pinhead. ;)

U.L. Coleman Companies says not allowing direct access from the parkway is a deal-breaker:

Bossier City Council says access to parkway unlikely for development

I don't know where I stand here.

Personally, I believe Linc Coleman is an idiot if he's going to break a deal this big over curb cuts. If they're planning to extend CenturyTel Center Drive into the property, and then to the parkway, what is the big deal? If the only curb cut they want to have is for CenturyTel Center Drive, then I'm for it. But if they want to put multiple curb cuts, there's really no reason for that and it will impede the traffic flow.

An excerpt from the referenced article:

"Tuesday, Mayor Lo Walker proposed a law that would do that, provided the developer acquires all 50 acres or so needed, the planning commission agrees to the curb cut and a new traffic study is conducted. The first vote on it is Aug. 1."

While I'm personally opposed to the curb cuts anywhere but at the proposed CenturyTel Center Drive intersection, if this law that Lo Walker has proposed gets voted in by the Council, then it shall be and Bossier City shall live with it. But I would put a mandate on Linc Coleman as for specific time frames during which I'd like to see at least a certain percentage of the work completed. If he's going to be the reason for this law to be voted in, then he'd better step up to the plate and do something.

The development sounds really nice and large, and I'd hate to see Bossier City lose it. However I believe Linc Coleman would be just as stupid to just let it go over something like this.

I didn't know that Cedar Grove was the worst neighborhood in Shreveport. I thought that was Allendale? I bet the next time I visit Shreveport there will be so much to see and do. Texarkana was supposed to get a convention center but the city seems to be dragging their feet about it. Anyway, you do an awesome job keeping us up to speed on what's going on in Shreveport/Bossier! Keep up the good work!

Hey, Darius, good to see you posting here more. :D

Anyway, to answer your question, Allendale is one of the worst neighborhoods but the west side of Cedar Grove actually has the worst overall crime rate in all of Shreveport. The east side I don't think is quite as bad. All of south central Shreveport is high on the crime map, though.

It just so happens there's an article in today's Shreveport Times about Cedar Grove. The article paints a much rosier picture of the area than most people would, but here it is anyway: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS03/607260329

Edited by SBCmetroguy

The Shreveport Convention Center Hilton will officially hold its topping out ceremony tomorrow morning a 9:00, on the top floor of the convention center's parking deck.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../607250342/1064

According to the blurb about the Shreveport Hilton on the Hilton website, there's going to be a Starbuck's outlet located in the hotel lobby, along with a full-service restaurant and lounge. Cool!

Oh, AND a pool... according to the little amenities icons at the bottom of the blurb.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=SHVSPHF

Edited by fridayinla

According to the blurb about the Shreveport Hilton on the Hilton website, there's going to be a Starbuck's outlet located in the hotel lobby, along with a full-service restaurant and lounge. Cool!

Oh, AND a pool... according to the little amenities icons at the bottom of the blurb.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=SHVSPHF

:lol: ANOTHER Starbucks!?!? This will be great for downtown, though, as there's not a Starbucks down there right now. Anything... even this kiosk... will be great. And the fitness center will be on the 12th floor, with a view of the river. Very nice!

Thanks for finding that, man... I'd never even thought to look for it on Hilton's website since it's not yet open.

:lol: ANOTHER Starbucks!?!? This will be great for downtown, though, as there's not a Starbucks down there right now. Anything... even this kiosk... will be great. And the fitness center will be on the 12th floor, with a view of the river. Very nice!

Thanks for finding that, man... I'd never even thought to look for it on Hilton's website since it's not yet open.

Yeah, the Starbucks and the 12th level fitness center are unexpected perks. I have to say I'm impressed. And I know I keep saying this, but I'm expecting other projects in that part of downtownto come online soon. It seems to be just a hotbed for development.

Edited by fridayinla