Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

^Thanks Brian for posting that. Sounds very encouraging and well thought out. Looks like they have the pieces of the puzzle, hopefully they can get it all to come together. It sounds like they are headed in the right direction. Historical preservation is another plus. Interesting history lesson about Cross Bayou. And a "gem", if they can make that another Bricktown/Woodlands waterway that would be great. Bring the residential in, then the retail will follow. It's good to see urban planners using Cross Bayou as an asset. Those tax increments can help too.

Edited by richyb83

That's EXTREMELY fast considering they thought it would take 12x that long (18 months!!!) Basically it sold out in a month and a half when they expected it to take a year and a half. That's fast!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: unless things change in Shreveport, that day is coming. While quite a bit of Bossier's growth is new growth to the metro, MOST of it is still flight from Shreveport. Bossier City is constricted to the east by Barksdale Air Force Base, but it can continue to grow around Barksdale as it's doing now. Do I WANT to see it? Honestly, no. I think the larger, denser city with the high-rise office buildings should be the big fish in the pond and Bossier City should basically be a sister city. I want Bossier to grow large, but I want Shreveport to remain larger. The ONLY way for that to happen, though, is for Shreveport to shape up!

Or Shreveport may go through what I call the San Francisco effect. Even though San Jose is the biggest city in population in the Bay Area, San Francisco will always be the more important city. Bossier may grow larger than Shreveport but Shreveport will always be the main city.

• 2 weeks later...

A few short items today...

1) Iberia Bank Pointe is getting underway with construction of an Iberia Bank location, a possible separate Iberia Bank Mortgage building and a strip office/retail center. Also on the same property will be Home Design Center, and an Orr BMW auto showroom. All these projects are being developed near the intersection of E. 70th & Fern Ave, next to the 3-story headquarters of First Louisiana Bank, and across from the old Sheraton Shreveport.

2) I've spoken recently with the representative in charge of the north Bossier retail development. While she would neither confirm, nor deny, any of the unlisted restaurants and stores, such as Chili's, she did tell me that Kohl's is definitely a no-go for this development as of now. She said they still are pursuing them for possible development elsewhere in north Bossier, but they just couldn't get them nailed down at this time, for the originally planned location. This is where the movie theater comes into play. When I asked her about that, she only said that it is planned as a multiplex, but declined to name the brand.

3) I've heard not a single bit of buzz lately about the Youree Drive development called Regal Court. This is the development that is slated to be built facing Youree Drive, next to Lowe's and Krispy Kreme. I'd noticed a while back that there were new flags out at the property and that it had been freshly mowed. Since then, however, there has been no noticable activity on the site and I've not heard a word from anyone about it. Hopefully everything is still a go, although I can't get any kind of response from the project's representatives.

4) There is an item on the agenda for the upcoming September meeting of the Shreveport MPC about some of the Feist family land across King's highway from this area. Developers are looking to rezone the property from agricultural to commercial. I'd be interested in seeing what they have in mind for that property.

Just figured I'd throw these items out there. They've been on my mind lately but I've been forgetting to mention them.

Another little something, from today's Shreveport Times...

The new Libbey Glass distribution center will officially begin full operation on September 1. This building is nearly 650,000 sq. ft. and is the largest warehouse built in Shreveport since the General Motors expansion a few years back. Even the new Ivan Smith/Ashley Furniture warehouse near Shreveport Regional Airport isn't this large.

Libbey Glass has been in Shreveport since 1974, and though not headquartered here, it has been a good, well-known corporate citizen to this city. Its large plant and outlet facility is located across I-20 from Independence Stadium, near the old Pennzoil refinery.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...40336/1002/NEWS

I've actually seen this new warehouse, located on Greenwood Road in FAR west Shreveport near Greenwood. I'm rarely out that way on Greenwood Road, but I was out there a couple weeks ago and drove right past it. Because that is a very old area with a lot of really old businesses, this big, new, white building really stants out.

The new Shreveport Convention Center has put out its first online newsletter. It's only available in PDF format, so Adobe Acrobat will be needed to open the file and view the newsletter. The newsletter appears to be off to a great start with a wealth of excellent information.

http://www.shreveportcenter.com/news/newsl...mmer%202006.pdf

Edited by SBCmetroguy

The new Shreveport Convention Center has put out its first online newsletter. It's only available in PDF format, so Adobe Acrobat will be needed to open the file and view the newsletter. The newsletter appears to be off to a great start with a wealth of excellent information.

http://www.shreveportcenter.com/news/newsl...mmer%202006.pdf

As usual Brian, thanks for posting the latest development news for the S/BC area.

I was driving south on Barksdale blvd. leaving town and noticed a large truckstop under construction.. the sign said a marina was coming soon.. ehhhh cool?

Yeah I was out that way a while back and saw that. It's another development south of the Bossier City limits that allows access to the river, so maybe it will be positive. I believe there's a small shopping strip planned for that area as well.

There was a special section in Sunday's Times titled 'Living Here: A Guide to Your Community.' This section finally made it to their website today, and I'm proud to post it here. Page 43 of this 64-page section gives a comparison between North and South Bossier City.

Enjoy.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...=LIVINGHERE2006

Thanks Brian for posting that. Very nice, I enjoyed scrolling down. SBC has alot going for it. They have a great health system; nice entertainment districts/riverfronts; revived residential for downtown. New projects(schools)shopping and road extensions. Easy to see why SBC is the the hub of the Ark-La-Tex. And many wildlife areas and State Parks nearby too.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. There was also an article about how rapidly Stonewall is growing. What's odd is that nothing was mentioned about Greenwood, while it's growing just as rapidly. I like knowing the sleepy farming towns surrounding Shreveport are becoming booming suburbs overnight, but I do wish the city could retain those residents.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I saw that insert and thought that it gave a pretty nice representation of the area, with one exception.

They made reference to all the major neighborhoods: Highland, Broadmoor, Northern part of town, Western part of town... etc.

But they didn't say one word about the forgotten neighborhood of Shreveport, Southern Hills.

As a resident of said neighborhood i would like to take this moment to remind people of Southern Hills to reflect over the past 8 years and ask themselves this question "Do i want to see more of this neighborhood go down the toilet with more of the Hightower cronies in charge?"

Since Hightower and gang took over they claim all the growth in town for the Youree drive area and downtown. Yet they act like they have their fingers in their ears and mumbling "I can't hear you!".

Keith and friends motto for the past 8 years should be "If it doesn't happen in downtown or Youree drive then it mustn't happen in Shreveport!"

Sorry about the rant, later!

Mudbugger

Mudbugger: The sad part was, no mention was made of Southern Hills, which is a huge suburban neighborhood of 30,000+ but they made Shreveport's murder capital, Cedar Grove, appear as if it's a happy-go-lucky place to live. Don't worry about Keith and friends, man, he's on his way out. And thankfully I see Jerry Jones taking the edge over Liz Swaine. Let's hope it stays that way.

Richy: I'm not sure. It would either be Benton, Stonewall, or Greenwood.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

SBC,

Thanks for the clarification on that and i too, found it odd that they would try to pass off Cedar Grove in such a rosey light.

Keith and co. are going bye-bye and i believe that Jerry Jones will be the next mayor.

I see more and more of his signs up everyday and when i read in the Times that his are the most often stolen and defaced, then i know for a fact that the Dems are terrified of him and that he is the best man for the job.

I have talked at length with him many times and he is the most grounded and decent of all the candidates.

All my best,

Mudbugger

Man, I hope it's Southwest Airlines.

You just echoed my thoughts exactly.

Now I wonder if it's a new airline, or just new service from an existing airline? I want to believe it's a new airline, and most of all I want it to be Southwest. I'm tired of driving to Dallas and Little Rock to fly that airline.

There was a special section in Sunday's Times titled 'Living Here: A Guide to Your Community.' This section finally made it to their website today, and I'm proud to post it here. Page 43 of this 64-page section gives a comparison between North and South Bossier City.

Enjoy.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...=LIVINGHERE2006

Its a shame so many neighborhood area were left out - I know Southern Hills and South Highlands were.

It was a nice brief of the area of SBC for people trying to remeber Shreveport- I remember Fair Park represented the near west and Byrd Hi represented the near East. Is the Spring Lake area included in Cedar Grove? Is the Bert Kouns Loop a part of I 220 to make a circular loop around the city. What is Shreveport-Bossier underground newspaper called? I think an outsider could get the real skinny from that media

Okay, the MPC's latest agenda has been posted. I've been wondering what kind of B-3 development was planned for the northwest side of the Bert Kouns/Kings intersection, and it appears that it will be some kind of hospital. I couldn't find anything to tell me if it's supposed to be a regular hospital like W-K Pierremont, or if it's supposed to be some kind of specialty hospital. My instinct tells me to expect a specialty hospital, similar to the Promise specialty hospital currently being built on Viking Drive in North Bossier.

I like when the ole instincts kick-in huh Brian. I know what you mean coming from one urban enthusiast to another :D Specialty hospitals are really making their mark all over the country for sure.

They certainly are... and all of a sudden. I don't even know how many they've built here over the last 5 years, but there have been quite a few. I've been pretty surprised... and north Bossier seems to be a magnet for them more so than any part of Shreveport with the exception of south Shreveport.

You just echoed my thoughts exactly.

Now I wonder if it's a new airline, or just new service from an existing airline? I want to believe it's a new airline, and most of all I want it to be Southwest. I'm tired of driving to Dallas and Little Rock to fly that airline.

Okay, the announcement has been made. It's not a new airline but rather the expansion of an airline's offerings. Allegiant Air, who now flies direct from Shreveport to Las Vegas will now offer direct flights from Shreveport to Orlando, beginning in November.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60905007