Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

That's good news. Where'd you find out about the new Starbucks?

Bossier City MPC. :)

Airline Drive is amazing right now. The stretch of Airline at I-20, near Pierre Bossier Mall, has Starbucks, Walgreen's, Chili's, Books A Million, etc. ALL of these chains and more are expected at the new shopping center that's just over 1 mile down the road at Airline/I-220. A new Walgreen's is already open just north of the center, Starbucks is on the way, Chili's is on the "possible tenants" list, another Capital One Bank is in the works, Books A Million is a possibility, etc etc etc...

Airline Drive blows me away. It's always been one of the most "happening" streets in this metro and that trend is continuing even today, all the way north to Benton.

Hey that reminds me of Airline Highway here in B.R. Good to here about the Starbucks, they seem to be springing up everywere.I think there are 4 planned for the B.R. area. Also it would be nice to get another Chili's. The one we have is always packed.

You only have ONE Chili's there??? I'd say another one is long-overdue. There's one in Bossier and a second planned, and then there's one in south Shreveport. I'd love to see one in west Shreveport, and probably will soon. There's another Target-anchored center planned for that area, and lots more major retail and restaurants are expected to follow Target, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart to that area. A Chili's would be a nice fit.

You only have ONE Chili's there??? I'd say another one is long-overdue. There's one in Bossier and a second planned, and then there's one in south Shreveport. I'd love to see one in west Shreveport, and probably will soon. There's another Target-anchored center planned for that area, and lots more major retail and restaurants are expected to follow Target, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart to that area. A Chili's would be a nice fit.

Oh I'm sorry,I forgot we have three. :lol: One in Denham Springs right of I-12, one across I-10 from the Marriott, and one in the shopping center with the new Kohl's. I guess I forgot because we always go to the same one. :blush: But we still need another because whichever Chili's I go to it's crowded.I just keep messing up. First the San Antonio/Little Rock incident, now this. I need some sleep. -_-

That's exactly what happened here. A Target came along, then Lowe's, Best Buy, ChicK-fil-A, etc. A Chili's is a possibility for that area also, along with more retail, banks, and possibly a hotel.

Edited by dan326

This evening when I got back to SBC from Texas, I drove out to southeast Shreveport and down 70th street near King's Crossing and Eastgate. In the Eastgate parking lot, some may recall an old Eckerd store that closed down when the new one opened on the corner of 70th/Youree a few years ago. Well that old Eckerd store, which has since sat abandoned, now has orange construction fencing around it and appears to be ready for demo. Assuming this is the case, it sounds like something is lined up to take its place. I wonder what this could be.

Let's hope it's not going to be another Italian eatery.

:lol: My thoughts exactly. I'd expect in thsi region to see tons of Tex-Mex eateries rather than tons of Italian... but that stretch of road has more Italian eateries than anyone would imagine. There were already 2 local Italian eateries there, and now 3 chains... all within 1 mile of one another. It's mind-boggling.

SBC,

My wife and I were driving by Eastgate shopping center today and we noticed that they have already started to tear down the old Eckerd Drugs.

If they keep up the pace they should be completely done tearing it down in a couple of days.

I know that the bank next to it is also empty. We secretly hope that if/when both are torn down that they could put in a major restaurant chain that is either completely new to the area or a return of one that has left Shreveport in the past.

Let me know if you hear anything about this.

Mudbugger

P.S.

Do you know what is going on with the old Grandy's in Eastgate?

They have done some cleaning on the site and it is listed on the Sterling website.

Hopefully it will get demolished and something better will be put in it's place.

SBC,

My wife and I were driving by Eastgate shopping center today and we noticed that they have already started to tear down the old Eckerd Drugs.

If they keep up the pace they should be completely done tearing it down in a couple of days.

I know that the bank next to it is also empty. We secretly hope that if/when both are torn down that they could put in a major restaurant chain that is either completely new to the area or a return of one that has left Shreveport in the past.

Let me know if you hear anything about this.

Mudbugger

P.S.

Do you know what is going on with the old Grandy's in Eastgate?

They have done some cleaning on the site and it is listed on the Sterling website.

Hopefully it will get demolished and something better will be put in it's place.

Cool info, man, thanks.

I wish that old bank AND that old office building next to Chef Lee would be torn down or at least remodeled. I kind of thought the old Eckerd store would just be renovated into a retail space, but it looks like maybe someone has plans for it. I can't wait to see what it becomes.

As far as the Grandy's location... what is odd about that is, when it first closed a couple years ago, before Eastgate was even remodeled, Trejo's was supposed to be buying it and turning it into a location of their restaurant. I saw the plans... they were ready to go. They had a floor plan, site plan, landscaping plan, etc... I don't know what happened there. I was kind of surprised they were going to put a Trejo's in that building, because it's pretty small. But the way their plans had the footprint of the building utilised it looked like it would work out okay. But then weeks went by, then months, and now a couple years... and nothing. I haven't heard anything since that, but I've been completely surprised that nothing has been opened there yet. And beyond that, I'm surprised I haven't seen anything come up for MPC approval for that site.

By the way... back to you... did you notice that the RaceWay gas station that you mentioned had closed a few weeks ago reopened shortly thereafter? I wonder what was up with that...

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Macy's

McRae's

Mervyn's

Foley's

Above is the list of department stores I believe are still needed in this market. Upon researching Macy's a bit, it seems we are the largest metro in the state without a Macy's. I haven't researched the others much, but I believe there are other Mervyn's stores in Louisiana, I know there's a McRae's in Monroe, and there's a Foley's in Tyler, Texas.

As much as Shreveport-Bossier has been playing catch-up over the past few years, we're still behind. Baton Rouge has two Macy's locations... and Lafayette and Lake Charles each have one. Even New Orleans HAD Macy's before Katrina.

So why, SBC, do we still not have this chain? Let's hope Shreveport's new leadership will be able to help lure in at least some of the stores listed above. At least get a Macy's in here. Sure we're getting at least one, possibly two, Kohl's stores... and we recently got our first Belk store with a second on the way... but there is still room for competition in the department store market here.

That's a suprise to me, I never would have guessed. Agreed Brian that SBC should have some of those stores. They are long overdue; so it's could happen anytime soon.

Did Macy's $buy somebody out?? I did not know Lake Charles and Lafayette got Macy's; How recent ? Persians was bought-out by Belk's or Saks?? It's hard to keep up with.

Who does Kohl's compete with? A new one (1st in BR) is about to open.

I don't know if they still have some of those stores.McRae's, Mervyn's,and Foley's got replaced with something else.I think Mervyn's went out of business and McRae's.

Thanks, Dan... man, you've got some knowledge! Last time I was in Monroe they still had McRae's, but appearently they've since been bought out by Belk. Foley's was bought out by Macy's, which must explain why there are so many Macy's in Louisiana now. I didn't see the Foley's in Tyler when I was over there this weekend, but only because I didn't look. But now looking at Macys' website, I can see where the old Foley's in Tyler is now a Macy's. Had I known that I would have gone in and looked around a bit this past weekend. I thought we had some Mervyn's stores in Louisiana, but their website shows none east of Texas. They are still in existence, though, but only in the west.

I just discovered that the King's Crossing shopping center at 70th & Youree has sold for about $53,000,000. At 277,000 sq. ft. (EXCLUDING Lowe's) that's $191/sq. ft.

I'll link to the story if anyone wants the source, but it's not free so you have to purchase a membership at the website to view it.

An excerpt:

"Winters says the center's location at State Highway 1 and East 70th Street played a role in its popularity among potential investors. 'This intersection in Shreveport is ground zero for retail in the area,' he says. 'You have a superior location, great tenants and a brand-new property, attractive for a long-term investor. These types of properties don't stay on the market for too long.'"

I just discovered that the King's Crossing shopping center at 70th & Youree has sold for about $53,000,000. At 277,000 sq. ft. (EXCLUDING Lowe's) that's $191/sq. ft.

I'll link to the story if anyone wants the source, but it's not free so you have to purchase a membership at the website to view it.

An excerpt:

"Winters says the center's location at State Highway 1 and East 70th Street played a role in its popularity among potential investors. 'This intersection in Shreveport is ground zero for retail in the area,' he says. 'You have a superior location, great tenants and a brand-new property, attractive for a long-term investor. These types of properties don't stay on the market for too long.'"

That's incredible!! That's comparable to Los Angeles retail prices. At a 10% cap rate (just guessing) for an investment sale, an imputed avg lease rate / sf / mo for those tenants is approx. $1.60. From an analytic's perspective, that's impressive! Go Shreveport.

Good question... I've been wondering the same thing. Neither I, nor my wife, could find out anything about this. That said, I'm assuming there's some other issue going on behind the scenes, probably an engineering issue. Those are so common, and often times they can hold a project up for weeks, months, even years. Wal-Mart is very gung-ho about opening a store in Shreve City, so I'm sure they're having meetings with the engineers daily or weekly. With the investment they've made in that property, I can't see them allowing it to slip through the cracks.

I'm just as anxious as you... I'm ready to see it finished and opened, and to see what happens to the central area of the city thanks to it. Hopefully it will generate a new buzz in that area, and maybe eventually the same kind of regeneration could occur in your area. I know what a sore subject Southern Hills is to you, so I'll try not to get too far onto that subject.

SBC,

Thanks for your response. I know that you will post any new news you hear in a timely manner.

Thank you for not going into detail about Southern Hills, you know that i could talk about it all night.

What is your take on the upcoming mayoral election? Who do you think will be in the runoff and what affect does the attack ads from the La. Dem. Party have on the electorate, in your opinion?

Personally i think that Jerry Jones will win the primary and if he has to face off with Liz Swaine he will trounce her. If it is between Jerry and Cedric Glover it will be closer but Jerry should prevail.

What are your thoughts?

Mudbugger

SBC,

Thanks for your response. I know that you will post any new news you hear in a timely manner.

Thank you for not going into detail about Southern Hills, you know that i could talk about it all night.

What is your take on the upcoming mayoral election? Who do you think will be in the runoff and what affect does the attack ads from the La. Dem. Party have on the electorate, in your opinion?

Personally i think that Jerry Jones will win the primary and if he has to face off with Liz Swaine he will trounce her. If it is between Jerry and Cedric Glover it will be closer but Jerry should prevail.

What are your thoughts?

Mudbugger

Agreed, I believe it will come down to Jerry Jones and Liz Swaine. However I'm a bit concerned that the democratic vote will go to her in a runoff. You have a lot of democrats in this race, and the vast majority of them are going to vote strictly along party lines. I'm VERY concerned that she actually has a chance when it goes to runoff.

I'll be watching this election VERY closely... I'd hate for that job to fall into her hands. Afterall, the ONLY "claims to fame" she really has are that she was a TV anchorwoman for many years and she is Hightower's sidekick. I think it's great that Shreveport got a decent veterans' memorial, but if I were a wartime vet, I'd be extremely upset that she's using that as her political platform.

SBC,

Glad to hear back from you so soon.

I hope you are wrong that if Liz and Jerry are in the runoff, if necessary, most of the Dem vote will automatically move lockstep to Liz. Hopefully the Dems in Shreveport won't be mindlessly locked into voting just for the party and not the person.

If they actually looked into the person's qualifications they would come to the quick conclusion that Liz Swaine isn't qualified to run a bowling alley at 3 a.m., let alone a city of this size.

By the way, i looked at the site plan for the newly designed Shreve City shopping center and i noticed something.

Is it me or does the location of the 2 story development next to the new Walmart look strangely like the old shopping center and old Dillards that they just tore down?

What's up with that and what is the probable list of tenants/tenant for that location.

Mudbugger

Here's the site plan for redeveloped the Shreve City Shopping Center, including the Wal-Mart Supercenter...

Note: this webpage is in PDF format so Adobe Acrobat is necessary to view it...

http://www.jjgumberg.com/images/lease_plan...ve%20city%22%22

one word after looking at that design: ugh!

Looks as ghetto as it did in the past. Theres nothing there that would make me want to shop over there. To be honest Ive never liked that area over there with the ridiculous side road that hugs up against the main highway.

Edited by dingo

one word after looking at that design: ugh!

Looks as ghetto as it did in the past. Theres nothing there that would make me want to shop over there. To be honest Ive never liked that area over there with the ridiculous side road that hugs up against the main highway.

It is an odd place for a service road. I love service roads, but Louisiana just doesn't use them as often as Texas. You're hard-pressed to find them along the interstates and freeways around here, but they have one alongside Shreveport-Barksdale Highway? I've never understood that myself.

Anyway, this Wal-Mart has been called "upscale" by the local media, so I suppose only time will tell. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart. But when they're willing to make such a large investment in what is essentially part of Shreveport's inner-city, I'm all for it. Afterall, Shreve City can't be much worse off than it is right now. :lol: It's merely a shell of what it once was... who knows what the future holds for it. By all means, if Wal-Mart is willing to invest their own money into it, go for it... let's see what it can do.