Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Quick question... I've seen two Macy's commericials w/i the last two days. Here's the question... Is it because Tyler is 100 miles down the road and they're trying to advertise to Marshall or Longview, or is something brewing, w/ Macy's coming here soon (a la Kohl's) in the near future?

Quick question... I've seen two Macy's commericials w/i the last two days. Here's the question... Is it because Tyler is 100 miles down the road and they're trying to advertise to Marshall or Longview, or is something brewing, w/ Macy's coming here soon (a la Kohl's) in the near future?

I've been thinking it probably has something to do with Tyler, but to be honest with you I'd never seen a Foley's commercial here before they became Macy's.

I wish they WERE thinking about coming into this market, because we're now the largest market in the state without a Macy's presence. To be honest with you I'd much rather have a Macy's in north Bossier than another Tinseltown. Or even in southeast Shreveport rather than another JC Penney.

Let's all cross our fingers. :D

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I've been thinking it probably has something to do with Tyler, but to be honest with you I'd never seen a Foley's commercial here before they became Macy's.

I wish they WERE thinking about coming into this market, because we're now the largest market in the store without a Macy's presence. To be honest with you I'd much rather have a Macy's in north Bossier than another Tinseltown. Or even in southeast Shreveport rather than another JC Penney.

Let's all cross our fingers. :D

Yeah, I don't ever remember Foley's advertising here either. It would be very intriguing if Macy's did enter our market. Would Macy's advertise here, for a store that's 100 miles away, to a consumer base that makes up a segment of Shreveport's TV market? BIG question... where would it go (unless it being planned for the Regal Court development)? :)

Edited by Metlife

Yeah, I don't ever remember Foley's advertising here either. It would be very intriguing if Macy's did enter our market. Would Macy's advertise here, for a store that's 100 miles away, to a consumer base that makes up a segment of Shreveport's TV market? BIG question... where would it go (unless it being planned for the Regal Court development)? :)

Regal Court, Stirling Bossier, west Shreveport maybe? There IS still a Target and a multiplex theater, among other "possible" tenants under consideration for that area (west Shreveport.) And it has excellent interstate access. But of all properties, one might think Regal Court is a good fit. Not so fast. If Kohl's AND JC Penney open in Regal court, there wouldn't be much room for another large department store, considering Belk is just down the block. But who knows... what if JC Penney or Kohl's is discussing maybe switching locations due to an incoming Macy's. That could explain some of the LACK of progress on the Regal Court site as of late.

Am I making sense? I REALLY hope so, because it's been a long day and week. :lol:

Regal Court, Stirling Bossier, west Shreveport maybe? There IS still a Target and a multiplex theater, among other "possible" tenants under consideration for that area (west Shreveport.) And it has excellent interstate access. But of all properties, one might think Regal Court is a good fit. Not so fast. If Kohl's AND JC Penney open in Regal court, there wouldn't be much room for another large department store, considering Belk is just down the block. But who knows... what if JC Penney or Kohl's is discussing maybe switching locations due to an incoming Macy's. That could explain some of the LACK of progress on the Regal Court site as of late.

Am I making sense? I REALLY hope so, because it's been a long day and week. :lol:

I think its just the marketing campaign. Remember, christmas is only a few months away. It would be dumb to not market in the S-B area.

Also, sometimes its just good marketing. Ever seen the 'Boston Market' tv spots? Some companys do that in markets that they arent a part of so that when you do travel you are more likely to visit that etablishment to see what all the fuss is about.

Aye, there's the rub, Dingo. If it was a year to 18 months ago, I might be have agreed with you. But, Kohl's did the same thing for months (advertising for a least a year) until it was announced that they were entering the Shreveport-Bossier market. So, the question remains...advertising or something more...

Aye, there's the rub, Dingo. If it was a year to 18 months ago, I might be have agreed with you. But, Kohl's did the same thing for months (advertising for a least a year) until it was announced that they were entering the Shreveport-Bossier market. So, the question remains...advertising or something more...

like I said...christmas time + advertising in bigger market = makes sense

like I said...christmas time + advertising in bigger market = makes sense

Yeah, I get what you're saying...it's very logical in a business sense. We just have to wait and see how it plays out. If those ads continue with the same frequency that they currently have after the holidays, well, that could be very interesting. Anyway, did anyone catch today's Times w/ Dave and Buster's being mentioned as a possible target for recruitment by Arlena Acree?

I agree with dingo, but I also agree with you. Sure lots of companies (particularly retail establishments) market more during the holiday season... and they do market to larger markets in many cases. That said, however, Foley's never advertised in this market. Could it be that Macy's is just a smarter advertiser than Foley's? Most certainly. But it also could be that they're trying to generate a buzz in this market before committing to a location here. It happens all the time and is a technique used in testing the waters.

If a particular retail or restaurant chain wants to create a name for itself within a market before it enters, it will run commercial spots advertising itself, sort of a "hello from xxxxxxx extablishment" without coming right out and saying "hey, we're coming into your market." What they do is get people talking, get a "buzz" generated, and then wait and see what kind of response they get from the market. This sometimes occurs after there's already been a buzz about them in a certain market.

So many people email companies these days to see when/if they have any plans for expansion into their markets. In most cases these people receive some type of default response like, "Thank you for your interest in xxxxxxx establishment! At the moment we have no plans for expansion into the xxxxxxx market, but we are always looking at new expansion possibilities."

For a couple of years I saw commercials for Hooters, only to hear rumors of that chain locating here. But if one were to have emailed Hooters during that timeframe they probably would have received a response similar to the above. Still we ended up with a Hooters restaurant after a couple years of seeing their commercials. This happens a lot, but doesn't always work out like it did with Hooters. For example, dingo mentions Boston Market. I salivate when I see their commercials and keep hoping they'll open a location here. They're all over the DFW market, only 3 hours away, yet have no presence physical here. All they have here is an advertising presence. They may just be advertising to a wider market range to generate a buzz about their company, in hopes that the people here will eat at one of their locations nationwide or in the DFW area. But on the same note, they could be trying to generate a buzz here in preparation for eventually opening a location here.

Another company I've seen advertise here over the last few years is 7-11. Many may recall that we haven't had any 7-11 stores in this market since Circle-K bought their local stores back in the mid-to-late 80s. We still have yet to see 7-11 re-enter this market, but everytime I see one of their commercials I wish they were here. I always liked 7-11 and I see them every time I visit the DFW area.

Anyway we can all speculate, but at this time Macy's has no physical presence here, only a marketing presence. I hope Macy's is trying to get a buzz going in this market in preparation for a store opening here. Afterall, like I've said before, we are the largest market in the state without a Macy's location. And while the city of Shreveport is still losing population, Bossier City is gaining population. Our major retail areas, north Airline Drive, south Youree Drive, and Louisiana Boardwalk are still hot and heavy. In addition, another area of Shreveport, west Shreveport at the Pines Road/W. 70th intersection, is building up and expected to be the next big area for new developments. In other words, there is still a lot of room for new growth and expansion here, and there are still many national chains that are eyeing our fair cities. Which ones we will end up with just remains to be seen, and Macy's is one of those I'd like to see end up here.

Yeah, I get what you're saying...it's very logical in a business sense. We just have to wait and see how it plays out. If those ads continue with the same frequency that they currently have after the holidays, well, that could be very interesting. Anyway, did anyone catch today's Times w/ Dave and Buster's being mentioned as a possible target for recruitment by Arlena Acree?

I didn't see this. I did read today's Times, but not thoroughly. I'll have to look again... thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: I just went to the Times' online edition and searched, and found what you mentioned about Dave & Buster's. I hope she's able to do it, because I'd love to see one here. The only ones in this region are DFW (3 locations,) Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. There are none in Louisiana, so Shreveport would be their first location in this state if they decided to come here. We would truly be the envy of the state having that chain, as it tends to locate in larger markets. From the beginning I've wished there was one down in the Boardwalk, so maybe there's still hope. :)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

yes, because what this area really needs is another place to eat.

:rolleyes:

We most certainly do need more places to eat. Sure we have a lot of places to eat, but variety is the spice of life my friend. I am, however, glad to see more local establishments popping up, serving something a little different. Like Don Juanz in Bossier, which serves Mexican food including fish tacos. This place actually has all the makings of a chain, and I hope it does become one.

But Dave & Buster's isn't just a place to eat. It's also an entertainment center, the type of which most people would agree that this area needs. It's similar to Jillian's, another dining/entertainment establishment I've long wished we had in this region.

We most certainly do need more places to eat. Sure we have a lot of places to eat, but variety is the spice of life my friend. I am, however, glad to see more local establishments popping up, serving something a little different. Like Don Juanz in Bossier, which serves Mexican food including fish tacos. This place actually has all the makings of a chain, and I hope it does become one.

But Dave & Buster's isn't just a place to eat. It's also an entertainment center, the type of which most people would agree that this area needs. It's similar to Jillian's, another dining/entertainment establishment I've long wished we had in this region.

Ive been to one. Its like a chuck E cheese for adults. Im just not too excited about a new place to eat. Is/was that Acrees sole job?

Ive been to one. Its like a chuck E cheese for adults. Im just not too excited about a new place to eat. Is/was that Acrees sole job?

Pretty much. Her title is (until the new administration takes over) economic development supervisor or coordinator, or some variation of that. I'd love to make what she makes to do that job. I talk to developers from a citizen's perspective quite often and have gotten pretty good at it. I never think twice now to question a developer or make suggestions, even if they don't listen to me. This is one of the ways I find out so much about Stirling's developments, because I talk with their reps whenever something comes up.

VERY interesting development. I've now seen the site plan for the restaurant proposed at the corner of Youree Drive and 70th Street... and it's not PF Chang's. I guess they did give up on that location afterall. As it turns out, it's Longhorn Steakhouse. I searched Google and found thier website (I know it's the same chain because the logo was the same) but to my surprise they don't have any locations around here... anywhere around here. It looks like their nearest location is in Alabama.

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/Locator/Main.asp

Looks like we may yet again be the first city in Louisiana to get this chain. Saltgrass Steakhouse opened its first location outside of Texas here last year, which really made me happy. But it really does sound like we're getting a lot of steakhouses. While I love steakhouses, I still would like to see more variety. In the past 2 years we've added to our list of steakhouses locally, Texas Roadhouse and Saltgrass Steakhouse, with Longhorn Steakhouse and Logan's Roadhouse in the planning stages. BUT I will say, at least there will now be competition for Roadhouse Grill in the Youree Drive area. It's so hard to go to Roadhouse Grill and get in and out quickly at lunchtime. Maybe now that will change.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

VERY interesting development. I've now seen the site plan for the restaurant proposed at the corner of Youree Drive and 70th Street... and it's not PF Chang's. I guess they did give up on that location afterall. As it turns out, it's Longhorn Steakhouse. I searched Google and found thier website (I know it's the same chain because the logo was the same) but to my surprise they don't have any locations around here... anywhere around here. It looks like their nearest location is in Alabama.

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/Locator/Main.asp

Looks like we may yet again be the first city in Louisiana to get this chain. Saltgrass Steakhouse opened its first location outside of Texas here last year, which really made me happy. But it really does sound like we're getting a lot of steakhouses. While I love steakhouses, I still would like to see more variety. In the past 2 years we've added to our list of steakhouses locally, Texas Roadhouse and Saltgrass Steakhouse, with Longhorn Steakhouse and Logan's Roadhouse in the planning stages. BUT I will say, at least there will now be competition for Roadhouse Grill in the Youree Drive area. It's so hard to go to Roadhouse Grill and get in and out quickly at lunchtime. Maybe now that will change.

Too bad it's not a PF Changs, but any new development is exciting. I was also impressed when Fat Burger opened a location in Shreveport... which is one of the only locations outside of the west coast states. Fat Burger is hugely popular here in CA and I hope it's doing well in Shreveport. Although I can't imagine any restaurant on Youree not doing well.

Edited by fridayinla

With Longhorn Steakhouse taking PF Chang's place on the corner i don't think we should rule out the possibility of PF Chang moving into someother location.

Did anyone else notice that the old Eckerd's Drugs in Eastgate has been torn down?

It would be nice to see the PF Chang's move into that spot, although with a Chef Lee within spitting distance of it, i would doubt that it would move there.

Something to think about.

Mudbugger

With Longhorn Steakhouse taking PF Chang's place on the corner i don't think we should rule out the possibility of PF Chang moving into someother location.

Did anyone else notice that the old Eckerd's Drugs in Eastgate has been torn down?

It would be nice to see the PF Chang's move into that spot, although with a Chef Lee within spitting distance of it, i would doubt that it would move there.

Something to think about.

Mudbugger

I've been wondering about Regal Court for a while now, whether or not it is a possibility for PF Chang's. But I did notice that the old Eckerd was torn down, and that seems like just as viable a spot, especially being next to another excellent national chain, Carrabba's. I haven't really looked but I didn't notice any "coming soon" signs at that location. It could be that someone is ready to build on that site, or else the developer of Eastgate Shopping Center (Stirling Properties) decided to remove the building to make the site more attractive. That said, however, I really don't think any parcel of land in that area would be anything less than attractive.

I think the thing to remember about Chef Lee vs. PF Chang's is that there's a little bit of competition there but not much. For starters, Chef Lee is a buffet and PF Chang's is menu-oriented. When someone wants a menu-oriented restaurant, they will drive right past the buffet for that and vice-versa. PF Chang's is also much classier than Chef Lee and will draw on a somewhat different clientele. I love Chef Lee, but I'll drive right past it for PF Chang's! :)

Anyway, I suppose it's just a guessing game now. I do think it's odd, however, that I'm saying that we're getting too many steakhouses. I remember when the only game in town for a Texas steakhouse was Roadhouse Grill. We once had LoneStar Steakhouse in front of Lowe's on Alkay Drive, and I hated to see that go because I loved that chain. I was SO glad when we got Texas Roadhouse, because I'd eaten at several locations of theirs, including Champaign, IL and Texarkana, TX and LOVE that chain. Then when we got Saltgrass I was excited, because that's a big name coming from Texas, with locations mostly in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. I'm sure this new dining option of LongHorn Steakhouse will be well-received, and I'm sure I'll have a steak or some ribs at this restaurant not long after it opens.

Too bad it's not a PF Changs, but any new development is exciting. I was also impressed when Fat Burger opened a location in Shreveport... which is one of the only locations outside of the west coast states. Fat Burger is hugely popular here in CA and I hope it's doing well in Shreveport. Although I can't imagine any restaurant on Youree not doing well.

While I'm not too fond of Fatburger... at least our franchise of Fatburger... I will say it's VERY popular. It's almost always busy, and yet Cheeburger Cheeburger (my personal fave) is right across the street from it and is just as busy any given day. I believe the local Fatburger is owned by a California businessman who owned the one in New Orleans' French Quarter prior to Katrina. I know it was opened by a crew from New Orleans.

Anyway, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for PF Chang's. Little Rock and Baton Rouge have them now, and I know we're on their radar... but let's get them pinned down on a location!!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I have to say that my wife and I went to Fatburger only once and it was ok but nothing spectacular.

After trying Cheeburger Cheeburger there is no comparison and we haven't been back to Fatburger since.

The burgers are better and the shakes are incredible.

By the way, i have eaten the 1 lb. burger ..... 4 times now.

I can usually pull that feat off in about 25 minutes.

Not bragging mind you, just wanted to let people know that i really like those giant burgers at Cheeburger Cheeburger.

Mudbugger

I stopped into the KFC on Youree for lunch, right next to On the Border. Across the street is the Eastgate Shopping Center, and much to my surprise the old Grandy's was being torn down just like the old Eckerd. This must be something Stirling is doing in order to entice new construction on those outparcels.