Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Hello, I'm new. My name is Casey and I live in Bossier.

SBC you may be on with the TGI Friday's. A couple of nights ago, I cannot recall the program, but I did see a commercial on local tv for TGI Friday's. Didn't they have a St Vincent Mall location that closed years ago?

I am a great lover of PF Chang's and that would be a dream come true if they came here. My personal fav is the lettuce wraps! Has anyone ever ate at Pei Wei's? It is a PF Changs' company. It is very casual and very good. They have the same lettuce wraps.

There is only one more restaurant that I could hope for but it is not even in Louisiana and seems to stay in larger markets. That restuarant is California Pizza Kitchen. Has anyone ate there before? I know fridayinla must have because they are very popular in So Cal.

Hey, thanks for the input and welcome to UP! I can relate with you very easily, having lived the first 23 of my 26 years in Bossier. It's amazing the transformation Bossier is making and I only hope that continues.

I personally have never eaten at a Pei Wei, though I almost did recently in Dallas. I ate at a southwestern restaurant instead, though. Baton Rouge has a PF Chang's now and is getting a Pei Wei soon. From the shopping centers in which I've seen them located over in the Dallas market, I'd say one would fit really well into the Shoppes at Bellemead... but I doubt that would happen if PF Chang's went in 1/2 mile down the road.

I've heard of California Pizza Kitchen, but never eaten at one. Have you tried San Francisco Oven? If so, how would you compare the two?

So anyway, Casey, what part of Bossier do you call home? Again again, welcome! I hope you will feel right at home here and will have plenty to add!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

First of all, I live on Stockwell Road. I have read that you live in Haughton and I am originally from Haughton (spent my 1st 20 years there), so I am very familiar with that area. I just moved back to the area, I was exiled to Savannah GA (for about 1 yr) and Monroe LA (for about 5 yrs). I am now 27 and glad to be back!

I agree that they would probably not put a PF Changs and Pei Wei that close together, but they are still very different. As you know PF Changs is an upscale dinner type atmosphere. Pei Wei's is a nice casual quick lunch type atmosphere. Somewhere the office may go for lunch.

I have had San Francisco Oven. CPK is so much better, but again they are very different. SFO seems like a nice deli/pizza lunch stop. CPK is again an upscale restaurant that serves very trendy type food. Check their web site and their menu, especially the pizzas. Everything has a fresh, organic feel. They are in Dallas, so next time you're there you may want to try it. The BBQ Chicken Pizza and Singapore Shrimp Rolls are awesome! Back when the Boardwalk was being developed I emailed Mr Good about getting a PF Changs and CPK. He replied advising that they were not able to get them because of conflicting restaurants. Then of course Gimme Sum and SFO were announced. Speaking of, do you know anything about Gimme Sum's future. Last I knew Shreveport Times did a story hinting at a rift between the company owner and the franchisee as the reason it was temporarily closed.

http://www.cpk.com/

BTW, I looked at some of your pics. What zoo is that? I definitely does not look like the DFW Zoo.

Edited by jcasey

First of all, I live on Stockwell Road. I have read that you live in Haughton and I am originally from Haughton (spent my 1st 20 years there), so I am very familiar with that area. I just moved back to the area, I was exiled to Savannah GA (for about 1 yr) and Monroe LA (for about 5 yrs). I am now 27 and glad to be back!

I agree that they would probably not put a PF Changs and Pei Wei that close together, but they are still very different. As you know PF Changs is an upscale dinner type atmosphere. Pei Wei's is a nice casual quick lunch type atmosphere. Somewhere the office may go for lunch.

I have had San Francisco Oven. CPK is so much better, but again they are very different. SFO seems like a nice deli/pizza lunch stop. CPK is again an upscale restaurant that serves very trendy type food. Check their web site and their menu, especially the pizzas. Everything has a fresh, organic feel. They are in Dallas, so next time you're there you may want to try it. The BBQ Chicken Pizza and Singapore Shrimp Rolls are awesome!

http://www.cpk.com/

BTW, I looked at some of your pics. What zoo is that? I definitely does not look like the DFW Zoo.

Pei Wei sounds like something that would fit nicely into the Boardwalk. I really hate that I haven't eaten there yet, but I love PF Chang's. The southwestern choice I made over Pei Wei was excellent, so no complaints there. But I will eventually try Pei Wei. I know there's one in Uptown Dallas, right across from The Mansions condos and Crescent Court hotel. That's a VERY upscale area... I'd probably prefer the one in Southlake, just west of Grapevine.

Oh wow, California Pizza Kitchen sounds great. The fact that it's an upscale restaurant sets it apart from the beginning. I'll have to stop in for lunch next I'm in Dallas. I almost ended up in Dallas today but I got stuck at the office and didn't head over there afterall.

I know nothing about the Gimme Sum issue... that caught me completely off-guard. But if it's to remain closed, let's get Pei Wei in there. Gimme Sum was that "lunch on the fly" kind of place. I also recall Good mentioning a "very popular fish grill" would be going in there, which led me to believe it would be Bonefish Grill, but that's been at least a year since he said that.

:lol: No, most of those photos are from the Caldwell Zoo over in Tyler. I have some from the Fort Worth Zoo, but not many.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I guess I can say welcome to the forum jcasey, even though i'm "exiled" six hours away. :P

PeiWei and P.F. Chang's would both be great additions, and I definitely think S'port's gonna get at least one soon. TGI Friday's is also a reasonable bet since they seem to be in expansion mode right now.

If you don't already have one, I think Smokey Bone's is headed south into the gulf region. Baton Rouge got one about a year ago.

What about the "breads" -- Atlanta Bread, San Francisco Bread, Panera Bread, etc? Are those in the market yet? They're hot right now and so is the FreshMex craze. I think CostaVida is headed south, as is Qdoba. I think y'all already have Moe's, right?

Uh oh...gettin hungry.

The next round of tenants for the large Regal Court retail development in southeast Shreveport is going to be unveiled on Monday by Mayor Hightower.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61103009

Charles Shears of SDI Realty, the developer of this project, has been VERY tight-lipped about this development except for Kohl's and JC Penney, so this announcement is welcome news!

I'm hoping the vast majority of these stores and restaurants will be new to this region.

Anyone care to start making guesses?

Here is one thought I'm entertaining: TGI Friday's. I recently found information that leads me to believe a restaurant might be on its way to this market. Why else would they have been trying to hire a manager for Shreveport? :)

Macy's is a store I'd like to see, but I doubt it will be there because (1) I don't think any of the remaining anchor spaces are large enough and (2) JC Penney and Kohl's are already supposed to be going in there.

Bonefish Grill is another restaurant I'd love to see built there. Every other market our size in this region has one, so there's no reason why we wouldn't get one.

PF Chang's has been scouting Shreveport for some time, and was originally planned for the SDI property next door to this new development, so they could be going in to this more upscale development. Yet another restaurant that every other market our size has, which we're overdue.

Shreveport still doesn't have a Comp USA or a Staples. We have every other electronics and office supply chain, but neither of these.

Anything more guesses??

Alright! Looking forward to seeing that new list. This is the last chance for a national retailer/restaurant who wants to be located in Shreveport along Youree Drive - I believe it's going to be an impressive list. Youree Drive is comparable to Baton Rouge's Corporate Blvd and I think any tenant who is located there is a likely candidate for this Regal Court development. Let's see.... PF Changs is a big possibility (great restaurant!), Johnny Rockets, Corner Bakery Cafe, Yard House, Jamba Juice and TGI Fridays could be (I'm not a fan though). CPK is one of my favorite restaurants and I eat there at least once a week. I guess it could be similar to San Fransisco Oven... I consider CPK to be more of an upscale gourmet pizza and wine restaurant - they also serve items like hummus, goat cheese salads, and thai dishes. I'd love to see a CPK in Shreveport, but I think we'll see Cheesecake Factory first. Aside from restaurants, I think Borders, Apple Computer Store, Staples, Williams Sonoma, Aaron Brothers, CompUSA are all good possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Whole Foods in the arena. This area of Shreveport could support a larger upscale market - especially with the new residential development like Provenance. Shreveport is definitely worthy of a Macy's, but considering the other big box retailers, it's not likely for this development.

Edited by fridayinla

I never did make it to Gimme Sum, but I'm sure Pei Wei's would be a nice fit. It seems the closing has a lawsuit feeling to it. Oh well. I do also recall there being an announcement of a "very popular fish restaurant" soon to come, but nothing. I also thought it would be a Bonefish Grill. I think as nice as the Boardwalk is, it could have been so much better. No outlet stores and more popular restaurants is my thinking. BTW what was that southwest choice that you made?

I guess I can say welcome to the forum jcasey, even though i'm "exiled" six hours away. :P

PeiWei and P.F. Chang's would both be great additions, and I definitely think S'port's gonna get at least one soon. TGI Friday's is also a reasonable bet since they seem to be in expansion mode right now.

If you don't already have one, I think Smokey Bone's is headed south into the gulf region. Baton Rouge got one about a year ago.

What about the "breads" -- Atlanta Bread, San Francisco Bread, Panera Bread, etc? Are those in the market yet? They're hot right now and so is the FreshMex craze. I think CostaVida is headed south, as is Qdoba. I think y'all already have Moe's, right?

Uh oh...gettin hungry.

Yes, we got Smokey Bones about a year or so ago as well. I'm not too fond of their food, but I love the TV speakers at the tables. That's awesome when a good game is on and you normally wouldn't hear it across the restaurant.

Atlanta Bread was supposed to be coming to Shoppes at Bellemead, but I haven't heard anything about them in about 2 years. I was looking forward to that. I'd also love to see Panera Bread. I noticed Qdoba has at least one location in Northwest Arkansas, and I've been hoping to hear them heading this way. Cantina Laredo is on its way, and should open this month or next in the Shoppes at Bellemead. That's a chain I'm ready for. As for Moe's, yes we have them. I think we've had them for a year or so... they opened about the same time as Smokey Bones and are just a couple doors down from them. They're getting ready to open another Moe's on Airline in Bossier, in the new Lowe's shopping center over there.

I never did make it to Gimme Sum, but I'm sure Pei Wei's would be a nice fit. It seems the closing has a lawsuit feeling to it. Oh well. I do also recall there being an announcement of a "very popular fish restaurant" soon to come, but nothing. I also thought it would be a Bonefish Grill. I think as nice as the Boardwalk is, it could have been so much better. No outlet stores and more popular restaurants is my thinking. BTW what was that southwest choice that you made?

Blue Mesa Grill is the southwestern I had in Dallas. I'd been told about it and figured I'd give it a try. I was very pleased. By the way, I agree with you about the "lawsuit" feel about Gimme Sum... but over what? I'm very interested in hearing the story behind that.

You said you live in the Stockwell Road area. Man I love that area, but I was trying to stay under $150,000 when I bought my house so I settled on Haughton. It's only about an extra 5 or so minutes beyond the I-220/I-20 exit for Stockwell, so it's not too bad.

Since you live in that area, I'm sure you've seen the huge clearing taking place between I-20 and Highway 80, next to the new Ouachita Independent Bank and the College Park shopping center? I wonder what's going there... any ideas? I've said before that I really hope it's not another trailer park or trailer sales lot, and I think Bossier's new ordinance for Highway 80 will probably prevent anything like that being built on that stretch of Hwy 80. However given that area's current look (trailer sales lots and trailer parks) one would have to wonder. That area is my old neighborhood... I grew up in the Meadowview-Swan Lake area. I'm very glad to see some positive developments occurring right there, because all my life I watched my neighborhood go from bad to worse.

You know, before the Boardwalk development fell behind schedule there was talk of a Johnny Rockets or Fuddruckers there. Fuddruckers is another restaurant we need badly.

We do have a Borders here at the Boardwalk, but is is an outlet and is a small store. An Apple store would be awesome. Macy's would also be a welcomed addition, because the only nice department store that we have is Dillards.

fridayinla, in what area of la do you live. My wife is from the El Segundo area.

You know, before the Boardwalk development fell behind schedule there was talk of a Johnny Rockets or Fuddruckers there. Fuddruckers is another restaurant we need badly.

We do have a Borders here at the Boardwalk, but is is an outlet and is a small store. An Apple store would be awesome. Macy's would also be a welcomed addition, because the only nice department store that we have is Dillards.

fridayinla, in what area of la do you live. My wife is from the El Segundo area.

There isn't much to the Borders at teh Boardwalk. South Shreveport could definitely use a full size location. I just bought a condo in downtown LA, near Figueroa & Wilshire. It's awesome b/c I only have a 5 minute walk to work now. The closest I ever get to El Segundo is LAX, but it's not far. You guys visit often?

I love Fuddrucker's. I like to try to eat at the one in Grapevine whenever I'm in that area. My wife loves it, and got me hooked on it. Mmmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Johnny Rockets is also awesome. I've eaten at a couple of them, the most recent when I stopped off in Katy, TX a few years back. Then I heard about the Johnny Rockets proposed for the Boardwalk and I just about lost it. Man I was so ready for that! They backed out and said they were going to pursue another area of Shreveport-Bossier with either Johnny Rockets or another franchise. I kind of wonder if that's not the same person who ended up opening either Fatburger or Cheeburger Cheeburger on Youree. Regardless, we still have plenty of room for Johnny Rockets AND Fuddrucker's. And for good measure, throw Red Robin in there because we could support them as well.

Yeah the Borders Outlet is a bit of a disappointment, but I do find myself looking around in there from time to time. A full-size Borders is what I was hoping for when they first announced it. And Apple... another great chain to have here. Boardwalk is nice for an outlet center, but there could be a good mix. Have the outlet stores but add some nicer "box-type" stores to it as well. That was the initial intention, but once they got to talking to the outlets, it took off and they ran with that concept. I also wanted to see a nice department store in there like Williams Sonoma, because similar properties in Los Angeles have Williams Sonoma stores in them.

Blue Mesa Grill is the southwestern I had in Dallas. I'd been told about it and figured I'd give it a try. I was very pleased. By the way, I agree with you about the "lawsuit" feel about Gimme Sum... but over what? I'm very interested in hearing the story behind that.

You said you live in the Stockwell Road area. Man I love that area, but I was trying to stay under $150,000 when I bought my house so I settled on Haughton. It's only about an extra 5 or so minutes beyond the I-220/I-20 exit for Stockwell, so it's not too bad.

Since you live in that area, I'm sure you've seen the huge clearing taking place between I-20 and Highway 80, next to the new Ouachita Independent Bank and the College Park shopping center? I wonder what's going there... any ideas? I've said before that I really hope it's not another trailer park or trailer sales lot, and I think Bossier's new ordinance for Highway 80 will probably prevent anything like that being built on that stretch of Hwy 80. However given that area's current look (trailer sales lots and trailer parks) one would have to wonder. That area is my old neighborhood... I grew up in the Meadowview-Swan Lake area. I'm very glad to see some positive developments occurring right there, because all my life I watched my neighborhood go from bad to worse.

I will try to see if I can find the story in the Shreveport Times that I am speaking of, but there seems to be bad blood from the beginning of that business relationship.

I am also thinking about moving back to the Haughton school district, because I grew up there and am familiar with it. The Stockwell district seems to close to the city for me, I know it is a great school system but I will just be nervous for my kids.

As far as that clearing, I am quite interested myself. I doubt that it is for another trailer development. We have seen too many of those things go bust over the years, but given the rising interest rates, more trailer developments may not be out of the question. I am also skeptical that it will be anything nice because of all the trailer developments. The size of the clearing suggests something big or just a good cleaning for development shoppers. It is also sad to see how bad the Swan Lake/Shed Road area has become. Everytime I go through there it seems to be worse.

Edited by jcasey

I love Fuddrucker's. I like to try to eat at the one in Grapevine whenever I'm in that area. My wife loves it, and got me hooked on it. Mmmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Johnny Rockets is also awesome. I've eaten at a couple of them, the most recent when I stopped off in Katy, TX a few years back. Then I heard about the Johnny Rockets proposed for the Boardwalk and I just about lost it. Man I was so ready for that! They backed out and said they were going to pursue another area of Shreveport-Bossier with either Johnny Rockets or another franchise. I kind of wonder if that's not the same person who ended up opening either Fatburger or Cheeburger Cheeburger on Youree. Regardless, we still have plenty of room for Johnny Rockets AND Fuddrucker's. And for good measure, throw Red Robin in there because we could support them as well.

Yeah the Borders Outlet is a bit of a disappointment, but I do find myself looking around in there from time to time. A full-size Borders is what I was hoping for when they first announced it. And Apple... another great chain to have here. Boardwalk is nice for an outlet center, but there could be a good mix. Have the outlet stores but add some nicer "box-type" stores to it as well. That was the initial intention, but once they got to talking to the outlets, it took off and they ran with that concept. I also wanted to see a nice department store in there like Williams Sonoma, because similar properties in Los Angeles have Williams Sonoma stores in them.

Hey Brian... not sure if you saw my previous post, but I definintely agree with you on the Williams Sonoma for the Regail Court development. What are your thoughts about my Whole Foods idea?

I will try to see if I can find the story in the Shreveport Times that I am speaking of, but there seems to be bad blood from the beginning of that business relationship.

I am also thinking about moving back to the Haughton school district, because I grew up there and am familiar with it. The Stockwell district seems to close to the city for me, I know it is a great school system but I will just be nervous for my kids.

As far as that clearing, I am quite interested myself. I doubt that it is for another trailer development. We have seen too many of those things go bust over the years, but given the rising interest rates, more trailer developments may not be out of the question. I am also skeptical that it will be anything nice because of all the trailer developments. The size of the clearing suggests something big or just a good cleaning for development shoppers. It is also sad to see how bad the Swan Lake/Shed Road area has become. Everytime I go through there it seems to be worse.

Let me say Stockwell is an excellent school, but Cope isn't quite as excellent. It was a great school when I went there, but literally within a couple of years it became a very ghetto place. Too many thugs from the Meadowview-Swan Lake area go there and those kids are a bad influence on the kids from the Stockwell area. Airline is a good school, but I've heard great things about Haughton High as well.

Yeah, Swan Lake/Shed is really quite nasty. I grew up right around the corner from there and every year it just got worse and worse. I was glad to be able to get out of there and make decent enough money to never have to return. Plus I married a woman who makes more than me, so that doesn't hurt either! :lol: I grew up walking those streets, both by day and night, and night time around there was scary. You just had to watch yourself walking around there at night. I would cut through the bayou by day, but by night I wouldn't go near that bayou. I'd come across too many bad things down there to ever go back down there at night. Some of my best friends lived in Swan Lake Apartments, right behind that Circle K at Swan Lake/Shed and that place is REALLY bad. I never understood how they could live there, but the rent is something like $350-$400/month so it's dirt cheap. Still sounds like a lot of money to pay to live in a roach motel that's overrun by drugs and other societal ills.

Anyway, back on the subject of the large project in Highway 80, there has been some staking done but I haven't looked closely enough to know if it's just for grades, corners, or what. I'm VERY interested in that property and would love for something nice to go in there.

There isn't much to the Borders at teh Boardwalk. South Shreveport could definitely use a full size location. I just bought a condo in downtown LA, near Figueroa & Wilshire. It's awesome b/c I only have a 5 minute walk to work now. The closest I ever get to El Segundo is LAX, but it's not far. You guys visit often?

We used to come to LA at least 3 or 4 times a year, but since we had our 2 kids that has slowed dramatically. It is just too hard to travel with small children. On top of that the majority of her family (mother, grandmother and brother) moved to Albuquerque almost 2 yrs ago. She does still have a grandmother living in El Segundo. It is ridiculous how much homes in that area are or we would consider moving there.

You know something else that my wife and I love but Shreveport/Bossier City lack? A Costco. I have even thought about getting a membership and driving to Dallas to go there. I am so tired of Sam's Club. Costco would have to be the equivalent of Target to Wal-Mart.

I think that our Johnny Rocket's was substituted with that Sonic. Don't we have enough of those?

I did go to Haughton High School and I cannot complain about it. Actually I went through all the orignial Haughton schools (TL Rhodes, Platt, Princeton & Haughton High School). Maybe I don't know any better but they seemed ok to me.

Edited by jcasey

Hey Brian... not sure if you saw my previous post, but I definintely agree with you on the Williams Sonoma for the Regail Court development. What are your thoughts about my Whole Foods idea?

Hey man! I did see your post and that's what got me thinking again about Williams Sonoma and the like. I remember about 3-4 years ago I was looking at developments like The Grove, Irvine Spectrum Center, etc. Irvine has Macy's, Nordstrom, and Target and is an awesome center. I've never been to it but I've checked it out online countless times and love what I've seen. The Grove is the center I thought I'd remembered Williams Sonoma from, but they also have a Nordstrom. Either way, it just goes to show that a center like Boardwalk needs a good anchor department store. I realize they were going for the "wow" factor with Bass Pro and they definitely got it. No one expected to have a Bass Pro store here, but a more upscale store would be nice as well. That's why I'd love to see something done with Cane's Landing, to see an upscale extension of the Boardwalk built there.

All in all, though, I have no complaints. The Boardwalk is 100 times nicer than I would have imagined, after seeing properties like the Red River District.

I think Whole Foods is a great idea, as well as Fresh Market. And I think either of those would be good either in the Provenance area, Youree Drive, or north Airline Drive.

We also have to keep in mind that at least two other decent-sized shopping centers have been in the planning stages for a while. One is in the area of Pines Road and West 70th in west Shreveport and would give this area its third Target store and possibly a movie theater for west Shreveport. The other is out Mansfield Road near the Wal-Mart Supercenter out there. There are plans for two shopping centers out there, one small and one decent sized center. Let's see if these centers materialize and then we can get an idea of how new stores could be distributed throughout the region.

I think it's only a matter of time before the SBC Metro area gets a Whole Foods and/or a Fresh Market. I would not be suprised sometime in 07' at this will be announced.

We really miss the Fuddruckers in BR. We had one before(location?Airline?) they left; then another one came to Corporate Blvd. in CitiPlace before they shut-it-down. That was a suprise to me.

I think it's only a matter of time before the SBC Metro area gets a Whole Foods and/or a Fresh Market. I would not be suprised sometime in 07' at this will be announced.

We really miss the Fuddruckers in BR. We had one before(location?Airline?) they left; then another one came to Corporate Blvd. in CitiPlace before they shut-it-down. That was a suprise to me.

Weird. I wonder why the CitiPlace location would have closed!? Dang. That's like the Bennigan's in Bossier. It was the only Bennigan's in the metro and it closed out of the blue. It was poorly managed, though, so I guess it shouldn't have come as a huge shock. I still think we need one of those AND an O'Charley's on Youree Drive. Airline Drive would be nice for both of those chains as well.

Hmm...I can't believe that BR could not support a Fuddruckers. Also hard to believe is that Shreveport/Bossier does not have a Bennigans (anymore) or an O'Charley's. Monroe area has both. As I said earlier but no one has confirmed, I believe TGI Friday's was in St Vincent mall and closed. Any confirmation out there? When did that Bennigans in Bossier close? It seems as thought in our area restaurants in malls do not work very well; only food courts with fast food. Restaurants in malls in other cities work fine, why not ours. Maybe it is our malls. Many seem to believe, as do I, that they are being overrun with riff-raff.

Edited by jcasey

hey shreveporters...im a former wisconsinite(Milwaukee) now living in north central louisiana attending LA Tech. I just visited Shreveport the other day and i was amazed at what ya'll got going on down there. Next saturday im going to take some clear pictures of downtown and BC. Is anything going on next saturday? wheres the best place to park? What are the main things i should visit? thanks...i guess i consider myself associated w/ shreveport metro now. I do not believe Union Parish is even close to there MSA though lol. Whats monroe's msa by chance? thanks for all your help,...im happy to be close to such a great city.

O'Charley's has a cool atmosphere to it. I ate at one in Lake Charles a few weeks back.

I have yet to understand why cities like Lake Charles and Monroe have O'Charley's while Shreveport-Bossier doesn't. It's a VERY cool chain, and I think it would do very well here.

Hmm...I can't believe that BR could not support a Fuddruckers. Also hard to believe is that Shreveport/Bossier does not have a Bennigans (anymore) or an O'Charley's. Monroe area has both. As I said earlier but no one has confirmed, I believe TGI Friday's was in St Vincent mall and closed. Any confirmation out there? When did that Bennigans in Bossier close? It seems as thought in our area restaurants in malls do not work very well; only food courts with fast food. Restaurants in malls in other cities work fine, why not ours. Maybe it is our malls. Many seem to believe, as do I, that they are being overrun with riff-raff.

I'm sorry, Casey, I forgot you asked that earlier! I'm not sure if there was ever a Friday's in St. Vincent, but I do know there was a Garfield's there. I consider Garfield's pretty similar to Friday's from what I can remember.

hey shreveporters...im a former wisconsinite(Milwaukee) now living in north central louisiana attending LA Tech. I just visited Shreveport the other day and i was amazed at what ya'll got going on down there. Next saturday im going to take some clear pictures of downtown and BC. Is anything going on next saturday? wheres the best place to park? What are the main things i should visit? thanks...i guess i consider myself associated w/ shreveport metro now. I do not believe Union Parish is even close to there MSA though lol. Whats monroe's msa by chance? thanks for all your help,...im happy to be close to such a great city.

Hello, Jay, great to have you on board! You have some very nice words for Shreveport-Bossier, and that means a lot coming from someone from a city as large as Milwaukee. I hope you're enjoying your time at Tech; Ruston is a cool little town with a great college atmosphere.

I just checked and it appears that Union Parish is considered part of Monroe's MSA. It looks like Monroe's MSA covers Ouachita and Union Parishes. Shreveport's MSA used to cover Caddo, Bossier, and Webster parishes but these days it is Caddo, Bossier, and DeSoto. For all intents and purposes, however, I personally consider Webster part of the metro because it is right here, so close to everything. Even if you don't live in Shreveport's MSA, you can be an honorary citizen and post here all you want! :D

What's going on next Saturday... well, the State Fair of Louisiana will still be going, and that's located out at the State Fairgrounds, which is where Independence Stadium is. On that Saturday, the National Black Rodeo Finals will be going on at CenturyTel Center and American Idol star Reuben Studdard will be the musical guest for that evening. As far as other events, I'm not sure... but there is always the Boardwalk and other things of that sort to do.

Again, great to have you here and I hope you'll become a regular poster here. It's nice to have two new people sign up today, both of whom seem to have a lot to discuss!

Welcome to the area! I am also of Wisconsin decent (meaning my dad is from Sheboygan...ended up here because of Barksdale). I cannot think of any big events, but there is always something going on. The Fair is in town; the Boardwalk and Youree Drive are popular; I've never been to the Funny Bone, but I hear it is good. BTW there is nothing in Monroe, I just got out of that hole! I think Ruston is on it's own. Also my wife just graduated from Tech in May. Again, welcome.

I have yet to understand why cities like Lake Charles and Monroe have O'Charley's while Shreveport-Bossier doesn't. It's a VERY cool chain, and I think it would do very well here.

I'm sorry, Casey, I forgot you asked that earlier! I'm not sure if there was ever a Friday's in St. Vincent, but I do know there was a Garfield's there. I consider Garfield's pretty similar to Friday's from what I can remember.

No problem, but you are right. That is what I was thinking of. My bad!