Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

"Christopher Winters stated, 'Shreveport has experienced tremendous retail growth over the past few years and the successful leasing of Kings Crossing is an example of national retailers’ interest in this market. Solid demographic indicators suggest retail development will continue in Shreveport and I expect SDI Realty will remain a key player in the local investment market.'”

Above is a quote from this page at Colliers International talking about the recent record-breaking sale of Kings Crossing shopping center on Youree Drive. The quote above obviously says great things about Shreveport, and I think it goes above and beyond Regal Court. I'd bet Charlie Shears has already started thinking hard about what he's going to do next in Shreveport, which I believe will be to turn the corner and develop Kings Highway. Any thoughts?

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I think bert kouns off of I-49 is about to explode.. I rode by that lot again near the regional urology place and thats a big lot! there is lots of machinary there now..

Yeah I know, that site is huge. But I'm reluctant to think it's going to be anything more than just more medical offices or another church until I see a project sign.

Mudbugger and I were talking once on another forum about that area, and the land next to the new-ish Brookwood Baptist Church, either is or was owned by Circuit City's holding company. When Home Depot and Academy were built in that area, they expected a growth explosion over there. But then the Youree/Bert Kouns area started booming and instead they ended up developing over in that area.

I definitely agree that Kings Hwy is the next area of development. In my opinion, developers will want to locate their projects close to all of the traffic along Youree Drive before considering an different area of the city altogether such as 1-49 @ Bert Kouns and I-20 @ Pines Rd. I believe the demographics are stronger in this part of the city anyway.

Just to go back to this aerial for a second:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ost&id=3031

I think we'll see some proposed projects sometime next year on those 2 key lots you outlined in blue. They're prime locations! It looks like we're already seeing that movement with that massive development near the NW corner of Youree & E 70th. By the way, what's going up there again? And the other smaller U/C site at the very top of the aerial - what's going up there?

That development near the NW corner of Youree & E. 70th is partially an extension of a residential area that's still being built out, but from the southern edge of the residential, all the way down to E.70th, you have HOME Design Center, Orr BMW Showroom, Iberia Bank, Iberia Bank Pointe, Iberia Bank Mortgage (possibly,) and some other banks and such that have been considering the area. So far on that site, between Fern Avenue and the Bayou Walk shopping center, you have First Louisiana Bank, Barksdale Federal Credit Union, and a La-Z-Boy furniture store all fronting E.70th. There are actually two different developments going, both on opposite sides of the bayou there. The one to the west will undoubtedly be the largest, including the Iberia developments, HOME Design Center, Orr BMW, etc; but the one on the right will probably mostly consist of banking isntitutions as well. They will likely compliment one another nicely.

I found this rendering of the renovated Uptown Shopping Center on LoopNet:

206027133.jpg

It looks beautiful, and I particularly like the patio area which looks to be around the new Starbucks(?).

This is very much what it's beginning to look like. Check out the Shreveport-Bossier City Photo of the Day thread for some overexposed (lol) shots I got of Uptown tonight.

I just can't believe this is still in the news.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...60319/1002/NEWS

Now it seems that this North Bossier NIMBY Squad has come up with 200 signatures for a petition. I find that more than a little interesting, considering only 15 homes would be directly affected by this apartment complex. Still, I'm with the developer here who says he's not going to let these people stand in the way of progress. One woman mentions the beautiful view she has of the trees out her window, to which the developer is quick to point out that those trees belong to him. If I were him, the first thing I'd do is get rid of those trees just to show them that he means business.

If the Bossier City-Parish MPC gives in to the demands of these backward residents at the meeting tomorrow, I feel bad for the future of Bossier City. Bossier City is a very progressive city that is expanding at a very rapid pace. The developer of these proposed apartments is quick to point out that all the other land surrounding this subdivision will soon be developed, and his is no exception. Just like the rest of the property owners, he's in it to make money. He owns the land, so why not just let him be? He's not proposing low-income housing; instead he's proposing housing for people, probably 90 or more percent of whom will be wealthier than all the people living in that subdivision.

Bossier City is growing, and it's growing fast. The city is moving forward, and within the next 10 years most of the land between what are now Bossier City and Benton will be developed, and a large portion of that will have been annexed by Bossier City for the tax dollars. It's not a matter of IF that land will be developed, but when. If these people somehow get this luxury apartment complex turned down, I hope they have to live behind a Family Dollar, Dollar General, Fast Cash Express, Panda Express, etc. I'd much rather have a view out my window of a nice, upscale apartment complex than the backside of a strip mall. I think these people really need to think long and hard about that.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

One woman mentions the beautiful view she has of the trees out her window, to which the developer is quick to point out that those trees belong to him. If I were him, the first thing I'd do is get rid of those trees just to show them that he means business.

LOL :D

Agreed!

Edited by fridayinla

If these people somehow get this luxury apartment complex turned down, I hope they have to live behind a Family Dollar, Dollar General, Fast Cash Express, Panda Express, etc.

I've often wanted a Panda Express in this area! Here's to hoping that's what they get themselves by all their whining!!! Trust me, as I have spoken about earlier, they do not want a Dollar Store. Stockwell Road got one and I see the undesirables it is drawing into this neighborhood every day.

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this place, but I found this blurb about a Dagwood's Sandwich Shop opening here in early 2007.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611220316/1064

Dagwood's seeks local franchises

New franchises for Dagwood's Sandwich Shoppes are expected to open in early 2007 in Shreveport, Alexandria and Lafayette.

Louisiana businessman Lance Harris is lining up locations for the comic strip-inspired Dagwood's Sandwich Shoppes. Dagwood's was launched earlier this month in central Florida's Tampa Bay area. Harris will lead the first out-of-state expansion for the new dining concept.

Harris is selecting partners in those areas, searching for sites and finalizing plans for more Dagwood's.

Edited by jcasey

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this place, but I found this blurb about a Dagwood's Sandwich Shop opening here in early 2007.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../611220316/1064

Hey, cool! I missed that, but for the past couple of months I'd been seeing advertisements by Dagwood's looking for franchisees in the Shreveport-Bossier area. Good to see this might happen next year! They just started this chain THIS MONTH and are already expanding out that fast... I truly hope this works out and they're not expanding too fast.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I just can't believe this is still in the news.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...60319/1002/NEWS

Now it seems that this North Bossier NIMBY Squad has come up with 200 signatures for a petition. I find that more than a little interesting, considering only 15 homes would be directly affected by this apartment complex. Still, I'm with the developer here who says he's not going to let these people stand in the way of progress. One woman mentions the beautiful view she has of the trees out her window, to which the developer is quick to point out that those trees belong to him. If I were him, the first thing I'd do is get rid of those trees just to show them that he means business.

If the Bossier City-Parish MPC gives in to the demands of these backward residents at the meeting tomorrow, I feel bad for the future of Bossier City. Bossier City is a very progressive city that is expanding at a very rapid pace. The developer of these proposed apartments is quick to point out that all the other land surrounding this subdivision will soon be developed, and his is no exception. Just like the rest of the property owners, he's in it to make money. He owns the land, so why not just let him be? He's not proposing low-income housing; instead he's proposing housing for people, probably 90 or more percent of whom will be wealthier than all the people living in that subdivision.

Bossier City is growing, and it's growing fast. The city is moving forward, and within the next 10 years most of the land between what are now Bossier City and Benton will be developed, and a large portion of that will have been annexed by Bossier City for the tax dollars. It's not a matter of IF that land will be developed, but when. If these people somehow get this luxury apartment complex turned down, I hope they have to live behind a Family Dollar, Dollar General, Fast Cash Express, Panda Express, etc. I'd much rather have a view out my window of a nice, upscale apartment complex than the backside of a strip mall. I think these people really need to think long and hard about that.

And so it shall be... :D

In today's meeting, the Bossier City-Parish MPC agreed to rezone the land mentioned in the quote above, paving the way for more luxury apartments to be constructed along north Bossier's booming Airline Drive corridor.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61127033

Edited by SBCmetroguy

And so it shall be... :D

In today's meeting, the Bossier City-Parish MPC agreed to rezone the land mentioned in the quote above, paving the way for more luxury apartments to be constructed along north Bossier's booming Airline Drive corridor.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61127033

"We're not anti-growth, we're just anti-rezoning". Whatever. <_< I'm glad that rezoning passed!

"We're not anti-growth, we're just anti-rezoning". Whatever. <_< I'm glad that rezoning passed!

Anti-rezoning is anti-growth in that area. Why? Because that developer wasn't interested in building more single-family dwellings. He understands the importance of higher-density residential developments in that area, as thousands of people continue to call that stretch of road, between Bossier City and Benton, home.

I'm glad too! :thumbsup:

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Exactly! That's why I thought it was so silly she said that. and more residents means more retail! :)

No doubt. Sure, most of what is popping up along that stretch of Airline, in the way of retail, is small strip centers; but there is still plenty of land to expand upon the new Target, Belk, Kohl's, and Academy-anchored center being built next to I-220.

Lewis argued the luxury complex would triple traffic in the area, decrease property values and she had concern that her "safety, health and well-being were at risk."

Glad to see the rezoning passed. This has to be the lamest bs quote I have ever read! Maybe not ever, but up there. :rofl:

I watched the video on KTBS and residents said they plan to fight it at Police Jury meeting on Dec 1. What a bunch of whiners.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4758376.html

Edited by jcasey

One woman mentions the beautiful view she has of the trees out her window, to which the developer is quick to point out that those trees belong to him.

It really irritates me when people move to an area and expect it to never change. It's okay that they moved there, but by golly NOBODY else oughta be allowed to live there!

In Memphis, people opposed our newest, tallest One Beale...(get this)...because being in the shadow of the tower will make their utility bills go up in the winter. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

At any rate, I'm glad to see these NIMBY's lost (they did lose, didn't they?).

It really irritates me when people move to an area and expect it to never change. It's okay that they moved there, but by golly NOBODY else oughta be allowed to live there!

In Memphis, people opposed our newest, tallest One Beale...(get this)...because being in the shadow of the tower will make their utility bills go up in the winter. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

At any rate, I'm glad to see these NIMBY's lost (they did lose, didn't they?).

I think they've lost. They're going to fight it, but they're dealing with Bossier here, not Shreveport. Bossier is extremely aggressive and progressive, so they'll have a major fight on their hands if they don't want it.

And the "shadow" excuse... all I can say is :rofl:

:rofl: jeez... people will come up with anything. I'm glad Bossier is like Brian said, aggressive and progressive enough, not to cave into the NIMBYs.

After reading a couple of very uneducated responses to the Bossier City-Parish MPC decision to rezone land for a luxury apartment complex, I responded with the following:

I'm so glad this rezoning passed.

I don't understand why these people seem to think that these apartments will be a bad thing. The homes around them will see their property values rise as a result of this very positive development, despite what these ignorant naysayers believe.

The Bossier City-Parish MPC is very progressive, and this is just another step toward filling in the ever-narrowing gap between Bossier City and Benton.

It's all about progress, folks, and these ignorant north Bossier who claim to not be against progress are just blowing smoke.

There is no way these people could have possibly believed they were moving out into the country, as it's been obvious for at least a decade now that Bossier City's next big growth spurt would be toward Benton.

As I've said many times, these people should be very happy they will get to live next to a luxury apartment complex rather than a tacky strip mall anchored by a Dollar General. The people of Stockwell Road are unfortunately having to deal with that reality now. Before the Dollar General was placed there, property values were continuing to rise with the new Stockwell Landing luxury apartments. I doubt the Dollar General has killed their peoperty values as there is still a lot of growth potential in that area, but it certainly hasn't helped anything.

I was reading an article in the Times today about how one of the last issues of the old city council was to approve a $100,000 renovation of Lee Hedges Stadium to lure the SWAC outdoor track and field championships from 2007-2009. This is also how the article billed, but it had more in it than that. The underlying story is that Shreveport is in talks with the SWAC to move their headquarters from Birmingham to downtown Shreveport. That would be awesome to have an athletic conference headquartered here. The SWAC consists of Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View A&M, Southern, and Texas Southern.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...80340/1002/NEWS

Also for Brian (or anyone else in Haughton), I drove by the CVS Haughton site today, there is a lot more land there than I originally thought. It seems as though they are also clearing the land behind that old oil change place. I just thought that may interest you.

One more note, I hate that Dollar Store on Stockwell. It is definitely an eyesore and is drawing trash to the area. I refuse to go there, unfortunately there are a lot of people who do not.

Edited by jcasey

I was reading an article in the Times today about how one of the last issues of the old city council was to approve a $100,000 renovation of Lee Hedges Stadium to lure the SWAC outdoor track and field championships from 2007-2009. This is also how the article billed, but it had more in it than that. The underlying story is that Shreveport is in talks with the SWAC to move their headquarters from Birmingham to downtown Shreveport. That would be awesome to have an athletic conference headquartered here. The SWAC consists of Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View A&M, Southern, and Texas Southern.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...80340/1002/NEWS

Also for Brian (or anyone else in Haughton), I drove by the CVS Haughton site today, there is a lot more land there than I originally thought. It seems as though they are also clearing the land behind that old oil change place. I just thought that may interest you.

One more note, I hate that Dollar Store on Stockwell. It is definitely an eyesore and is drawing trash to the area. I refuse to go there, unfortunately there are a lot of people who do not.

Very interesting. The article also mentions that Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Jackson, and Alexandria are all trying to lure the SWAC as well. I'd say out of all the cities on that list, Alexandria has the smallest chance. Shreveport probably has one of the biggest chances here because of its majority black population.

On the subjects of CVS and Dollar General:

I don't blame you for not wanting to shop in that store, as it's created a blemish on your beautiful neighborhood. I wouldn't shop there either. The store in Swan Lake is no big deal because the property values there are already so low it doesn't matter, but the Stockwell location definitely isn't helping your area.

I haven't driven by the CVS site in a couple of weeks, but I'm glad to know more clearing is occurring. I was very concerned about the size of that site. Hopefully it'll be a store more like the new one at Airline/E. Texas rather than the one at North Market/North Hearne. That store over there is fugly, in my opinion.