Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Okay, I saw on the Bossier City Council's agenda for their upcoming meeting, that they will be voting on supplying water to the new Central Assembly of God. This is being constructed directly across the street from Hillcrest Cemetary in what my parents always referred to as "Haughton," although I think it's actually part of Red Chute.

The council is also supposed to vote on supplying water for the proposed apartments in north Bossier. Yes, the same apartments I've been debating about for a while now.

Naturally the city council will also vote on providing water to the new W.T. Lewis Elementary School to be built near Stonebridge. Then there's another project quite a distance from the existing city limits that they will vote on providing water to, and that is the new Legacy Elementary which will be built at the intersection of Airline and Swan Lake, which is basically Benton!

I guess they're trying to pay for that new water tower they just built between Bossier City and Benton.

So with all this water the city is going to be providing, I wonder if their next step will to be extend the city limits to include these areas? I believe they will, but I believe they'll wait until there is more infill between these projects and the existing city limits.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I know a lot is going on in the SBC area but I've heard the growth occurring now is nothing compared to what will come in the coming years. Have you heard about that Brian?

I've heard variations of that, and I do hope it's true. The dynamics are all coming together for explosive growth, and I hope they continue to do so.

I do know that one area still needing work is Shreveport. Bossier is gaining residents every day, but Shreveport is actually losing as well. Some estimates actually have Shreveport gaining slightly, so I suppose until the 2010 Census all we can do is guess.

Bossier City came out of nowhere as a major player not only in the Shreveport-Bossier metro, but in all of Louisiana. Bossier City, in 1990, had only 52,000 residents, while Monroe had 54,000. Now Monroe has about 52,000 and Bossier City has over 60,000. Bossier Parish is now around 105,000 which equates to about 7,000 new residents in the parish over just 5 years (2000-2005.) Four thousand of these new residents have moved to Bossier City within the last 5 years. For a city the size of Bossier, that's great.

Caddo Parish, on the other hand, looks to have lost about 800 residents between 2000 and 2005. While not much of a loss over 5 years, it's still a loss and is a trend that needs to be reversed.

So, in the last 5 years Caddo Parish has lost about 800 residents while Bossier Parish has gained 7,000. That's a total of about 6,300 new residents from outside Caddo and Bossier Parishes who have moved to Bossier Parish over the last 5 years. Not bad at all.

SBC,

Sorry i haven't posted in a while but i have been in the middle of moving out of my apartment and into my first home. Needless to say that the wife and I haven't gotten alot of sleep lately.

If i had to give out a peace of advice it would have to be this.

Never close on the monday before Thanksgiving and never try to move the days immediately preceeding said holiday. The only way i was able to get the vast majority of our stuff moved was by getting my dad to hold the turkey hostage before we could have dinner. I kid you not, he demanded that my brothers move all of the largest items from our apartment and into our house before we could eat dinner. Never mind the fact that some of my brothers missed the first half of the Cowboys game.

Sheesh, you would think i was asking for a kidney.

Glad to be back on the air again and ready to gab it up about the growth of Shreveport.

Mudbugger

P.S.

We switched from our Roadrunner to Bellsouth DSL and found it to be just as fast and 12 bucks a month cheaper. Never mind the fact that they are cutting us a 125 dollar check for sending in our last Roadrunner bill with a coupon. Couple that with the rebate that pays for the modem and we are actually coming out ahead in this endeavor so far.

Go DSL, Roadrunner sucks!

SBC,

Sorry i haven't posted in a while but i have been in the middle of moving out of my apartment and into my first home. Needless to say that the wife and I haven't gotten alot of sleep lately.

If i had to give out a peace of advice it would have to be this.

Never close on the monday before Thanksgiving and never try to move the days immediately preceeding said holiday. The only way i was able to get the vast majority of our stuff moved was by getting my dad to hold the turkey hostage before we could have dinner. I kid you not, he demanded that my brothers move all of the largest items from our apartment and into our house before we could eat dinner. Never mind the fact that some of my brothers missed the first half of the Cowboys game.

Sheesh, you would think i was asking for a kidney.

Glad to be back on the air again and ready to gab it up about the growth of Shreveport.

Mudbugger

P.S.

We switched from our Roadrunner to Bellsouth DSL and found it to be just as fast and 12 bucks a month cheaper. Never mind the fact that they are cutting us a 125 dollar check for sending in our last Roadrunner bill with a coupon. Couple that with the rebate that pays for the modem and we are actually coming out ahead in this endeavor so far.

Go DSL, Roadrunner sucks!

No doubt I had noticed you weren't around as much. I almost sent you a PM yesterday but I figured you'd get back in here when you could. Glad to know all is well and you're getting settled in (despite the family issues - lol!)

When I lived in Shreveport we tried to get Roadrunner but all we got was the runaround from Time Warner. So we called Bellsouth and had DSL installed immediately. No problems and it was great. Over here in Bossier Parish, however, I have Suddenlink cable (formerly Cox) and their internet has been just as nice as my DSL was over in Shreveport. No problems with Suddenlink, thankfully!

Any time you're ready to pick back up with talk of growth and development, jump right back in, buddy!!

Oh yeah, and I hope you're loving the house!

I know a lot is going on in the SBC area but I've heard the growth occurring now is nothing compared to what will come in the coming years. Have you heard about that Brian?

I imagine with I-69 coming, along with the continued growth of the Port of Shreveport Bossier, the area's future looks decent. If immigration to the region can grow substantially, the area can really take off. Job opportunities will need to grow, with better paying jobs for college grads being more prevalent (the reason why I left the area).

I predict the region's growth will be steady, as it has been for the past 15 years or so. I imagine retail and health care will continue to be big

I imagine with I-69 coming, along with the continued growth of the Port of Shreveport Bossier, the area's future looks decent. If immigration to the region can grow substantially, the area can really take off. Job opportunities will need to grow, with better paying jobs for college grads being more prevalent (the reason why I left the area).

I predict the region's growth will be steady, as it has been for the past 15 years or so. I imagine retail and health care will continue to be big

I agree. Consider Nashville as an example... after they got their 3rd major interstate, the city grew substantially. Shreveport could easily be the next Nashville. I think SBC will even experience some early growth (down the road) just before I-69 is constructed in anticipation of an ecomonic boom.

Planned hotels within the last 2-3 years, that I know of, which have yet to be constructed:

Hilton Homewood Suites (6 floors) - Louisiana Boardwalk

Marriott hotel tower (10-15 floors) - Louisiana Boardwalk

Hilton Garden Inn?? (6 floors) - Harrah's Louisiana Downs

I'm not sure if the new Holiday Inn Express was constructed by the airport, as I'm rarely ever in that area.. I know a few years ago they opened a new Hampton Inn right across the street from the airport and that area is in desperate need of decent hotels. There are tons of hotels at the airport, most of which I'd never consider staying in.

Also, a new hotel was under construction behind the WestPort IHOP for quite a long time. I'm not sure if they ever finished that one, because I haven't been out that way in a while.

I'm mostly interested in the 3 hotels at the top of this list, and would like to find out about them. I've inquired about the Harrah's Louisiana Downs hotel but never received a response. I know someone who worked on that project in the beginning and he thought it was still on-track, but construction was supposed to begin back in May. Needless to say, it's definitely not on track.

I think I will soon inquire about the Boardwalk hotel properties.

I drove past Cantina Laredo today at the Shoppes at Bellemead. It looks like they're only a week or two away from opening. It seemed like the staff was in training and the place looked like it was completed, sans a few minor details. Can't wait to try it out...

I think that I heard that it is Mexican food prepared a la Shogun. Is that correct?

Planned hotels within the last 2-3 years, that I know of, which have yet to be constructed:

I'm not sure if the new Holiday Inn Express was constructed by the airport, as I'm rarely ever in that area.. I know a few years ago they opened a new Hampton Inn right across the street from the airport and that area is in desperate need of decent hotels. There are tons of hotels at the airport, most of which I'd never consider staying in.

Also, a new hotel was under construction behind the WestPort IHOP for quite a long time. I'm not sure if they ever finished that one, because I haven't been out that way in a while.

I'm mostly interested in the 3 hotels at the top of this list, and would like to find out about them. I've inquired about the Harrah's Louisiana Downs hotel but never received a response. I know someone who worked on that project in the beginning and he thought it was still on-track, but construction was supposed to begin back in May. Needless to say, it's definitely not on track.

Interesting that they are all on the Bossier side of the river.

Edited by jcasey

I drove past Cantina Laredo today at the Shoppes at Bellemead. It looks like they're only a week or two away from opening. It seemed like the staff was in training and the place looked like it was completed, sans a few minor details. Can't wait to try it out...

Same here. They were supposed to have their trial run last week, so I hope that went well.

I agree. Consider Nashville as an example... after they got their 3rd major interstate, the city grew substantially. Shreveport could easily be the next Nashville. I think SBC will even experience some early growth (down the road) just before I-69 is constructed in anticipation of an ecomonic boom.

I think there is a guy that is or was working for the city (I think) that was in the Shreveport Times way back saying the same thing. That would be crazy to have 3 major interstates going to SBC! I will be really happy if we could just get our 2nd completed!

I think there is a guy that is or was working for the city (I think) that was in the Shreveport Times way back saying the same thing. That would be crazy to have 3 major interstates going to SBC! I will be really happy if we could just get our 2nd completed!

Champaign, IL actually has 3 interstates and it's a city of only 60,000. They are a college town, though (U of I) and have had tremendous growth along their interstates over the last couple of years.

I'm ready for I-69. I just wish it were opening soon, because I'd have a direct route from my home in Haughton to my job in southeast Shreveport. I absolutely hate I-20 through the city in the mornings. I-49 is fine, but I-20 gets seriously congested.

Hey Brian. Do you remember any more specific information about the Marriott hotel hotel proposed for the Boardwalk? I want to add it to Emporis for Bossier City, but I need a solid source. Got anything? Was John Good to be the developer?

Hey Brian. Do you remember any more specific information about the Marriott hotel hotel proposed for the Boardwalk? I want to add it to Emporis for Bossier City, but I need a solid source. Got anything? Was John Good to be the developer?

I never heard who was going to be the developer, but they mentioned it a few times and it was also on the original site plan. It's not on the most recent site plan which makes me think they've shelved the idea. What a shame, too, because that would have been very impressive for the Bossier riverfront.

If I am able to find out anything positive with my inquiry, I'll cite the source for you.

If you do inquire, ask about the marina around Bass Pro also.

Wow, man, I can't believe I allowed myself to forget about that! Will do.

I'm ready for I-69. I just wish it were opening soon, because I'd have a direct route from my home in Haughton to my job in southeast Shreveport. I absolutely hate I-20 through the city in the mornings. I-49 is fine, but I-20 gets seriously congested.

I was thinking, it would be nice if for now, they built the stretch from I-20 to south Shreveport and build to it when the time comes. That would be so nice, but of course that won't happen. It will probably be 10 - 15 years before we see any movement, don't you think? Arkansas has built I-49 almost to Louisiana and we are barely clearing the land. It also sounds like that proposal by the treasurer to give $100 mil of the surplus to I-49 is going to get trashed because Blanco is too busy trying to give everyone raises to secure her re-election. There has been no mention of that but that is the way I am seeing it.

I was thinking, it would be nice if for now, they built the stretch from I-20 to south Shreveport and build to it when the time comes. That would be so nice, but of course that won't happen. It will probably be 10 - 15 years before we see any movement, don't you think? Arkansas has built I-49 almost to Louisiana and we are barely clearing the land. It also sounds like that proposal by the treasurer to give $100 mil of the surplus to I-49 is going to get trashed because Blanco is too busy trying to give everyone raises to secure her re-election. There has been no mention of that but that is the way I am seeing it.

I do think 10-15 years is accurate. Probably 5 years ago I heard that it would likely be about 20 years away. Just to build the metro Shreveport portion now would be awesome, but like you said that'll never happen. We can't even get I-49 finished quickly, nor a twin span for Jimmie Davis.

God, how I loathe Texas! :lol: Those cities in Texas are all the time rebuilding freeways.

well...don't trash louisiana too much... they've already built the 200-mile segment between SBC and LFT. can you imagine the nightmare we'd have if 49 wasn't already constructed? i drove 49 from SBC to Natchitoches last weekend and briefly wondered what it would be like without the highway. briefly. too scary a thought! :P

no...arkansas isn't ahead on 49. even missouri's already built it to the arkansas border. i think arkansas is hesitant to build through the ouachita mountains. that's a scary thought too.

I do think 10-15 years is accurate. Probably 5 years ago I heard that it would likely be about 20 years away. Just to build the metro Shreveport portion now would be awesome, but like you said that'll never happen. We can't even get I-49 finished quickly, nor a twin span for Jimmie Davis.

God, how I loathe Texas! :lol: Those cities in Texas are all the time rebuilding freeways.

Yeah, they obviously must think they are more important that Louisiana does. Our leaders do not understand how much accessibility means to companies apparently. I guess they thing S'port is good with I-20 and I-49 to south Louisiana. We don't need to go anywhere else! I mean why would we want a direct route to Houston, Texarkana, Memphis or Indianapolis???

well...don't trash louisiana too much... they've already built the 200-mile segment between SBC and LFT. can you imagine the nightmare we'd have if 49 wasn't already constructed? i drove 49 from SBC to Natchitoches last weekend and briefly wondered what it would be like without the highway. briefly. too scary a thought! :P

no...arkansas isn't ahead on 49. even missouri's already built it to the arkansas border. i think arkansas is hesitant to build through the ouachita mountains. that's a scary thought too.

Rardy, were you just passing through SBC? Did you stop off at all?

Yep, San Antonio's got overpasses going up all over the place. It's pretty impressive -- I really like the design of them too, oddly enough. They're kinda futuristic looking. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Oh yes, we're getting a new college campus here too -- Texas A&M is going to build a 400 acre campus here. They've also got a Toyota plant coming, which is also impressive.

I hope Louisiana can see great things like this happen, especially in SBC! I know LSUS and Tech had plans of some kind of merger. Hopefully that'll happen. That can really help a community

Rardy, were you just passing through SBC? Did you stop off at all?

do you count a 5-minute stop at a chevron on bert kouns as stopping off? naw... ate in Natchitoches on the way down, texarkana on the way back.

i end up driving through SBC about once every 2 months or so. i LOVE the new freeway from the border to texarkana. this was my first time to drive on it.

btw...are you complaining about SBC highways compared to texas cities??? hello! you've got - what - two FOUR-level stacks?? Memphis? ZERO. zilch. none. the highest we go is three levels. although construction begins on our first 4-level in january, but even still we'll only have one.

nope. i don't want to hear it. :D

Yep, San Antonio's got overpasses going up all over the place. It's pretty impressive -- I really like the design of them too, oddly enough. They're kinda futuristic looking. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Oh yes, we're getting a new college campus here too -- Texas A&M is going to build a 400 acre campus here. They've also got a Toyota plant coming, which is also impressive.

I hope Louisiana can see great things like this happen, especially in SBC! I know LSUS and Tech had plans of some kind of merger. Hopefully that'll happen. That can really help a community

The Toyota plant isn't open yet? I thought that it was. Most people think that the merger won't happen because Tech isn't going to move and LSUS would still be a satellite campus. I think that they just need to expand LSUS, build some dorms and give themselves some publicity. An image change could also help.