Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

One question he asked me, and I'd love to be able to answer, is whether or not Milam Place Condos in downtown Shreveport are doing well. I have no idea, but I need to find that out.

All I can say is, I personally believe if they're NOT doing well, it's because there is only one real component in that building: residential. Sure, there's a bank on the bottom floor. But there's not a decent grocery within walking distance and there's absolutely no retail in that building.

If downtown Shreveport is to become a residential hub, it's got to also have other components such as retail, dining (more than just Nanking, Caliente, etc,) and entertainment offerings all within a safe and easy walking distance. The people who bought into Milam Place most likely use their cars for everything, as I doubt they walk down to the riverfront area for dining or entertainment on a regular basis. These components have to be convenient to the residential spaces for that synergy to be created.

I love downtown Shreveport, and I have grand visions for it. But these visions can't be achieved with the level of funding I have (basically nothing!) For something to take off down there, a true visionary with some serious financial backing must give it a shot.

We'd discussed John Good and what he's done for Bossier. He's about the only visionary with some financial backing to step up to the plate and build something bold (Louisiana Boardwalk) in an attempt to turn around a blighted downtown neighborhood.

One question he asked me, and I'd love to be able to answer, is whether or not Milam Place Condos in downtown Shreveport are doing well. I have no idea, but I need to find that out.

All I can say is, I personally believe if they're NOT doing well, it's because there is only one real component in that building: residential. Sure, there's a bank on the bottom floor. But there's not a decent grocery within walking distance and there's absolutely no retail in that building.

If downtown Shreveport is to become a residential hub, it's got to also have other components such as retail, dining (more than just Nanking, Caliente, etc,) and entertainment offerings all within a safe and easy walking distance. The people who bought into Milam Place most likely use their cars for everything, as I doubt they walk down to the riverfront area for dining or entertainment on a regular basis. These components have to be convenient to the residential spaces for that synergy to be created.

I love downtown Shreveport, and I have grand visions for it. But these visions can't be achieved with the level of funding I have (basically nothing!) For something to take off down there, a true visionary with some serious financial backing must give it a shot.

We'd discussed John Good and what he's done for Bossier. He's about the only visionary with some financial backing to step up to the plate and build something bold (Louisiana Boardwalk) in an attempt to turn around a blighted downtown neighborhood.

Unfortunately until more and more people with money start to spend it here, no one else will. The more people initally take the risk and suceed, the more investors will be willing to invest in Shreveport and Bossier. Have you ever thought about starting to shop your ideas to investors? I still long for a Costco!

So, did you see the Vette???

Unfortunately until more and more people with money start to spend it here, no one else will. The more people initally take the risk and suceed, the more investors will be willing to invest in Shreveport and Bossier. Have you ever thought about starting to shop your ideas to investors? I still long for a Costco!

So, did you see the Vette???

Stephen and I actually talked a bit about our ideas and shopping for investors. Whether we actually go through with it or not remains to be seen, though I would like to meet with him again and discuss it further.

And yes, I saw the Vette. Man, what a sweet car! :) I snapped a couple shots of it, but I was messing with my camera's settings and unfortunately they were way off when I fired off those shots. Dammit. Of course his father might not want me posting shots showing his license plate online anyway, but it was a VERY cool car and I wish my shots had come out.

Here is an article from Shreveport Times about Shreveport's GM plant possibly getting the H3T and H4. It would be awesome if GM made our plant a mega plant. How many plants actually make 5 vehicles? I'm guessing not many. I am still in love with the H3T! There is a pic of it included in the article.

BTW, I would have been happy to take a $140k buyout as some employees did.

GM's saving grace

Another Shreveport Times story, it is about a downtown building being demolished. I don't know this building, so if anyone does, is is big and are we going to miss it?

Downtown medical building to come down

Edited by jcasey

Here is an article from Shreveport Times about Shreveport's GM plant possibly getting the H3T and H4. It would be awesome if GM made our plant a mega plant. How many plants actually make 5 vehicles? I'm guessing not many. I am still in love with the H3T! There is a pic of it included in the article.

BTW, I would have been happy to take a $140k buyout as some employees did.

GM's saving grace

Another Shreveport Times story, it is about a downtown building being demolished. I don't know this building, so if anyone does, is is big and are we going to miss it?

I actually never knew Shreveport Laboratories had closed, I just assumed they were still open down there.

The building isn't big, but it does have historical value and I'd hate to see it torn down.

And another one bites the dust... :cry:

Even in New Orleans, the lesser attractive buildings are still salvaged and remodeled to look decent. If only we had more going on in that area of downtown, the cost would be worth it for a remodel.

Man, this makes me sick. Sure, it's no Washington-Youree; but it's yet another piece of our history lost. There's a particular poster on this forum (not mentioning any names) who probably will revel in the news of this historical loss, but to each his own. I'd honestly rather see it become an eyesore than be reduced to a surface parking lot. At least as an eyesore there's a chance someone will have pity on it and want to spend the money to fix it up.

Here's some great news! According to the Shreveport Times, General Motors' Shreveport plant laid off 930 people earlier this year but it's pretty much gone unnoticed with the excellent state of the local economy!

How awesome is that? Bad for the 930 people, sure, but just 15 years ago had this happened, it would have been felt heavily!!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...40314/1002/NEWS

An excerpt:

"We're doing good," said Susan Beal, director of the LSUS Center for Business and Economic Research. "There's enough going on in the local economy to pick up the slack."

When Stephen and I met up on Friday, I asked him a bit more about the building he lives in. Beyond the condos and the coffee shop, it sounds like a very impressive mixed-use development. And we both agreed that some mixed-use spaces should be developed in downtown Shreveport to change this market's way of thinking. Mixed-use developments are probably the best way to get people enjoying all of downtown Shreveport, rather than just the riverfront.

Absolutely! Having retail shops on the ground floor of a res building gives people that convenience they're looking for when they decide to buy in an urban area. They're paying for convenience and a lively urban atmosphere - otherwise what's the point of spending more money on less space? There's nothing like this in downtown Shreveport. It would be a huge hit - no doubt!!!

This is not good news. It's too bad someone doesn't see the value in a historic building - downtown only has a limited supply, and they're irreplaceable. :(

Stephen and I actually talked a bit about our ideas and shopping for investors. Whether we actually go through with it or not remains to be seen, though I would like to meet with him again and discuss it further.

We should, Brian. We could do so much for downtown Shreveport - and it's something we would love doing. I think we can find many people with $$$ who would be interested in a mixed-use project in Shreveport's West Edge. I think we should talk to more people who are part of that community to find out what they want to see happen there. Target those people specifically and build a project for them, afterall they'd be the ones buying a new home there anyway - you can't loose! I think the city offers tax incentives for residential development in downtown too.

We should, Brian. We could do so much for downtown Shreveport - and it's something we would love doing. I think we can find many people with $$$ who would be interested in a mixed-use project in Shreveport's West Edge. I think we should talk to more people who are part of that community to find out what they want to see happen there. Target those people specifically and build a project for them, afterall they'd be the ones buying a new home there anyway - you can't loose! I think the city offers tax incentives for residential development in downtown too.

The city SHOULD offer such tax incentives... anything to help get something going. They can always change their taxation rules later down the line, but for now they should be offering crazy incentives.

You've taken the first step by talking to some of the people down there. That's a big step, in my opinion, as it gave you a first glance into life in that area. Further examination of the market, such as like you said, talking more in-depth to the people who would be living down there, is the next step I believe.

Hey, maybe O&S would like to help us develop a neighborhood in downtown Shreveport? ;)

Great job yall, glad you two got to meet-up. Good luck with the venture, I am impressed with yall interest and enthusiasm for downtown Shreveport. Yall have some sharp minds and a great asset for the community.

I think in my city there is a new special ordinance(law?) that no more historic buildings be demolished downtown. I am not sure of the cut-off date to qualify as an historic building? It's always sad to see the old buildings go. I appreciate the older buildings (like Brian) more these days than I used to. We can never get the old Paramount Theatre back for Third Street :stop::(:angry:

Great job yall, glad you two got to meet-up. Good luck with the venture, I am impressed with yall interest and enthusiasm for downtown Shreveport. Yall have some sharp minds and a great asset for the community.

I think in my city there is a new special ordinance(law?) that no more historic buildings be demolished downtown. I am not sure of the cut-off date to qualify as an historic building? It's always sad to see the old buildings go. I appreciate the older buildings (like Brian) more these days than I used to. We can never get the old Paramount Theatre back for Third Street

Such an ordinance would be an excellent thing, Richy. Maybe someone needs to direct the Shreveport DDA to that so they can take note.

I love historic buildings, and can't stand when I read in the news that yet another one either has been, or is about to be, demolished.

Thanks for chiming in, Richy. :) Our board over here has been somewhat slow lately, so any additions are welcome!!

I'm still holding out for some huge new development that will not only skyrocket Shreveport as a city, but will also create a buzz like this board has never seen. Until then, I'm thankful for what I have anyway!! :)

Shreveport has a unique geograhical set-up where Cross Bayou and the Red River merge adjacent to downtown. I talk to a local prominent artist (has booth in Mall of La.)that had proposed a nice development along Cross Bayou way back in the 80's but it never happened. I wish yall could have heard what he had to say. He even mentioned the development in the design symbolizing something to do with Chief Caddo.

Maybe a bold developer (like La.Boardwalk) could come-in later in 07' and develop a mixed-use twin 15-story condo's along Cross Bayou with parking under; and ground-level retail, restuarant, grocery, fitness center, newstand, cleaners, etc...along with greenspace and a promenade along the waterway with parks. Call it Bayou Walk. I know I mentioned something like his before.

Anytime..... It's slow in BR too. 46 views on new Courthouse thread...only 2 reply's

Edited by richyb83

Shreveport has a unique geograhical set-up where Cross Bayou and the Red River merge adjacent to downtown. I talk to a local prominent artist (has booth in Mall of La.)that had proposed a nice development along Cross Bayou way back in the 80's but it never happened. I wish yall could have heard what he had to say. He even mentioned the development in the design symbolizing something to do with Chief Caddo.

Maybe a bold developer (like La.Boardwalk) could come-in later in 07' and develop a mixed-use twin 15-story condo's along Cross Bayou with parking under; and ground-level retail, restuarant, grocery, fitness center, newstand, cleaners, etc...along with greenspace and a promenade along the waterway with parks. Call it Bayou Walk. I know I mentioned something like his before.

Anytime..... It's slow in BR too. 46 views on new Courthouse thread...only 2 reply's

Wow, sounds cool. Too bad it never happened, but being back in the 80s I'm not surprised. High-rise development stopped back in the early 80s and the economy just came to a stand-still until the 90s. Even if his project had gotten off the ground at the time, within just a couple of years it would have been in serious trouble. These are much better days in Shreveport-Bossier, and I hope that we're able to get some major things moving.

They sure did jump into that demo, here's a photo of that site taken today...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert_trudeau/335807147/

Man was I ever surprised this afternoon! I got off the Bossier parkway at "Diamond Jack's" and drove down old Robert E. Lee Place (I think that's the name) toward the Boardwalk. MUCH to my surprise, demo has started on some of those old homes. Two or three had already been demolished and one was being prepared to be hauled away on a truck. I guess they're getting ready for the northern extension of the parkway. There's been so much talk lately about the southern extension, I didn't expect to see any preparation for the northern extension for at least another year or two.

Man was I ever surprised this afternoon! I got off the Bossier parkway at "Diamond Jack's" and drove down old Robert E. Lee Place (I think that's the name) toward the Boardwalk. MUCH to my surprise, demo has started on some of those old homes. Two or three had already been demolished and one was being prepared to be hauled away on a truck. I guess they're getting ready for the northern extension of the parkway. There's been so much talk lately about the southern extension, I didn't expect to see any preparation for the northern extension for at least another year or two.

Awesome news! I'll have to see what I can dig up online about the extension. Do you know how far north it's being extended?

Also, in other news, I found a rendering of the new Orr BMW dealership going up in Shreveport:

newdealership.jpg

Awesome news! I'll have to see what I can dig up online about the extension. Do you know how far north it's being extended?

Also, in other news, I found a rendering of the new Orr BMW dealership going up in Shreveport:

newdealership.jpg

Well, it's supposed to be extended just to the Boardwalk right now. But the ultimate goal, at some point in the next 5-10 years, is to get it extended all the way to I-220 in north Bossier to help alleviate traffic on Airline and Benton Roads through the city.

That BMW dealership is going to be very nice. I was against it at first because of where it's being built, but once I saw plans for everything going in that project I was happy to see just how classy it will look. I think they're pretty cramped in their Auto Mall space, and there is no more room left in the Auto Mall to expand.

Also, I've been meaning to ask about the Inner Loop expressway extension. Isn't that scheduled to be completed early 2007? Anyone been keeping up on the progress?

I drive past it almost every day since I work in that area of Shreveport. It's coming along, and yes it's supposed to open in '07. If I had to guess I'd say mid-to-late '07. Work has never stopped, but it's been very slow. I'm not sure exactly why.

I found this PDF of the Bossier City's Dept of Public Works capital budget plan thru 2010:

http://www.bossiercity.org/capital_budget_2006.pdf

It covers all street improvements/extension/widening projects in progress and planned in Bossier, and has many photographs/maps of some. It must have been prepared in early 2006.

I found this PDF of the Bossier City's Dept of Public Works capital budget plan thru 2010:

http://www.bossiercity.org/capital_budget_2006.pdf

It covers all street improvements/extension/widening projects in progress and planned in Bossier, and has many photographs/maps of some. It must have been prepared in early 2006.

Page 21 of that PDF file shows the route that I saw being cleared today.

I remember reading about this project before... Shreveport needs more news like this, especially for the inner-city areas. Church groups are banding together to develop affordable housing in the MLK area of the city. Lots that have been vacant or abandoned will soon become new homes for people who need them. A new park and new businesses could follow:

Groups working to develop MLK neighborhood