Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

It seems this project is really pushing the short walking distance between itself and the new BPCC campus. It's obvious that they're trying to create a college-friendly, walkable community. Wow... I love this vision more and more with every new thing I learn about it. It's going to really create a buzz in that part of Bossier City, a part of the city that time had forgotten until BPCC moved out there. And with Swan Lake Road's future transformation into a major thoroughfare, more development like this will be important to that area of Bossier City.

It seems this project is really pushing the short walking distance between itself and the new BPCC campus. It's obvious that they're trying to create a college-friendly, walkable community. Wow... I love this vision more and more with every new thing I learn about it. It's going to really create a buzz in that part of Bossier City, a part of the city that time had forgotten until BPCC moved out there. And with Swan Lake Road's future transformation into a major thoroughfare, more development like this will be important to that area of Bossier City.

I'm glad they're trying to "fuse" these new developments together. It's smart planning. I agree this area of Bossier is going to get all kinds of new interest now. I hope they find a way to link this development with the BPCC campus, aside from the sidewalk along Hwy 80. If you really want to develop a pedestrian-focused place, keep people away from the heavy traffic on the streets. Also looking at some of the concept renderings, my only slight complaint is the parking situation. I don't really like those huge interior parking lots. Over time they could become very ugly. Good should have considered underground parking... but I know it's much more expensive. Aside from that, it's phenomenal! I bet Starbucks will be interested.

Of all the renderings, I like this view the best. This just screams "perfection!"

230586807.jpg

I have to agree about all the parking lots, Stephen, but hopefully the landscaping and other amenities will help to steer the eye away from them. And I agree that the area between this and BPCC needs to be built up, with walkways connecting both. Make it a TRULY walkable area of the city.

Stephen... I was reading the comments on the Times article, and one response in particular caught my eye. If what this person (nativeson) says is true, then you're not the only person living out west who has a grand vision for the area.

Nativeson

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 pm

I, for one, am excited. I applaud Mr. Good's efforts and wish him all the success. Of course, I have been muddling over a similiar idea myself so I guess this is competition (friendly). My project, which I believe will be innovative for the Shreveport-Bossier metro, is still a few years away. Still looking at certain trends to be exact. Anyway, Mr. Good's project can catapault not only Bossier, but the metro area to the world of new urbanism - the town center or urban village concept. Being originally from rural Bossier Parish just down Hwy 80 east, Villagio correlates with the growth I envision. Add the prospect of I-69 corridor and Bossier Parish evolves from its bedroom community persona to real metro player. Look for more things to come.

Nativeson

Hmmmmmm....

Stephen... I was reading the comments on the Times article, and one response in particular caught my eye. If what this person (nativeson) says is true, then you're not the only person living out west who has a grand vision for the area.

Nativeson

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 pm

I, for one, am excited. I applaud Mr. Good's efforts and wish him all the success. Of course, I have been muddling over a similiar idea myself so I guess this is competition (friendly). My project, which I believe will be innovative for the Shreveport-Bossier metro, is still a few years away. Still looking at certain trends to be exact. Anyway, Mr. Good's project can catapault not only Bossier, but the metro area to the world of new urbanism - the town center or urban village concept. Being originally from rural Bossier Parish just down Hwy 80 east, Villagio correlates with the growth I envision. Add the prospect of I-69 corridor and Bossier Parish evolves from its bedroom community persona to real metro player. Look for more things to come.

Nativeson

Hmmmmmm....

Wow. Thanks, Brian. I'm gonna try to contact this guy tonight. I'll let you know what happens. Seriously.

Wow. Thanks, Brian. I'm gonna try to contact this guy tonight. I'll let you know what happens. Seriously.

I've been driving by there every tuesday night.. wondering what was going on there... only concern is that there are a lot of trailor parks all up and down that road.. hope it doesnt discourage travelers as they come into town.

I've been driving by there every tuesday night.. wondering what was going on there... only concern is that there are a lot of trailor parks all up and down that road.. hope it doesnt discourage travelers as they come into town.

I agree. The trailer parks and sales lots do look terrible. I wish there was a way to instill civic pride in those owners. Enjoy seeing Shreveport-Bossier grow in many ways. Mr. Good is good for the metro area! Too bad we can't elected he and Brian as "regional metro presidents"!

I agree. The trailer parks and sales lots do look terrible. I wish there was a way to instill civic pride in those owners. Enjoy seeing Shreveport-Bossier grow in many ways. Mr. Good is good for the metro area! Too bad we can't elected he and Brian as "regional metro presidents"!

:lol: If you're talking about THIS Brian, I sure appreciate that.

Yes, John Good is EXCELLENT for this area. I hope this project is a huge success and that he builds on the success of this and the Boardwalk and continues to build bigger, better projects. Other cities like Baton Rouge have left us in the dust recently with developments like this, so it's great to see someone from our area really stepping forward!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

:lol: If you're talking about THIS Brian, I sure appreciate that.

Yes, John Good is EXCELLENT for this area. I hope this project is a huge success and that he builds on the success of this and the Boardwalk and continues to build bigger, better projects. Other cities like Baton Rouge have left us in the dust recently with developments like this, so it's great to see someone from our area really stepping forward!

Oh yes Brian, I am talking about you! You definitely have the boosterism. I have it once more. Wish everyone had it in the metro area! And John Good is really great for our area.

Oh yes Brian, I am talking about you! You definitely have the boosterism. I have it once more. Wish everyone had it in the metro area! And John Good is really great for our area.

Well thanks, buddy. :)

Yeah I wish everyone had it as well. Unfortunately, if you ever read the Shreveport Times forums, you'd think that everyone in this area is anti-development and thinks this place is a stink hole. What a shame, really. This place is light years beyond what it was back in the late 80s, and we should all be so proud.

John Good is my new hero! :)

Well thanks, buddy. :)

Yeah I wish everyone had it as well. Unfortunately, if you ever read the Shreveport Times forums, you'd think that everyone in this area is anti-development and thinks this place is a stink hole. What a shame, really. This place is light years beyond what it was back in the late 80s, and we should all be so proud.

John Good is my new hero! :)

Your welcome, man-and I think John is mine too. Do you know if he has ever won any of those awards like athena, etc.? I think he would be a good candidate.

On the topic of Shreveport/Bossier City development, does anyone know what's gonna happen to the old BPCC next to AHS? I think AHS should expand.

I think that's being tossed around within the school board, actually. Airline is already using at least the part of the old campus that's attached to the high school. I'm not sure if they're using the other building across the street yet or not. I know for a while, The Guardian was filming there... but that's been what... a year ago? Airline DESPERATELY needs more space! When I graduated from there, there were over 3,000 students crammed into that building. I can only imagine how bad it is now with all the new growth out there.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I think that's being tossed around within the school board, actually. Airline is already using at least the part of the old campus that's attached to the high school. I'm not sure if they're using the other building across the street yet or not. I know for a while, The Guardian was filming there... but that's been what... a year ago? Airline DESPERATELY needs more space! When I graduated from there, there were over 3,000 students crammed into that building. I can only imagine how bad it is now with all the new growth out there.

It was about the same number of students, plus or minus 150, when I graduated in 2000. With all the new growth, a new school is needed. Airline already supports much of Bossier. Benton high school needs to be rebuilt in my opinion. Maybe a new location to take the load off of Airline. If you think about it, every smart adult wants there child to go to Airline. It is the best school in this area. I'm not saying this because I went there, it's just true(at least it was when I was there). Much of Dogwood kids go to Airline and they are supposed to be going to Haughton. Stockwell place kids, carriage oaks kids, tiburon, swan lake, etc. That's a lot of kids for one school. Considering the growth of North Bossier, Airline will either have to expand or Benton will need to rethink things.

It was about the same number of students, plus or minus 150, when I graduated in 2000. With all the new growth, a new school is needed. Airline already supports much of Bossier. Benton high school needs to be rebuilt in my opinion. Maybe a new location to take the load off of Airline. If you think about it, every smart adult wants there child to go to Airline. It is the best school in this area. I'm not saying this because I went there, it's just true(at least it was when I was there). Much of Dogwood kids go to Airline and they are supposed to be going to Haughton. Stockwell place kids, carriage oaks kids, tiburon, swan lake, etc. That's a lot of kids for one school. Considering the growth of North Bossier, Airline will either have to expand or Benton will need to rethink things.

Hmmmm you graduated in 2000? You and I need to talk... we might know one another. I graduated in 1999. :) Email me... [email protected].

Small world!!

Hmmmm you graduated in 2000? You and I need to talk... we might know one another. I graduated in 1999. :) Email me... [email protected].

Small world!!

you'd think that Airline would be getting at least expanded.. They are going to build a new Parkway highschool near sligo road that's supposed to be huge and south bossier isn't growing nearly as much as north bossier.

you'd think that Airline would be getting at least expanded.. They are going to build a new Parkway highschool near sligo road that's supposed to be huge and south bossier isn't growing nearly as much as north bossier.

Wow, Parkway's getting a new campus? That's great for them. I wonder what my alma mater's future is gonna be (Bossier High). Sadly, I don't think its future is as bright as Parkway or Airline (unless they redistrict to send more kids to BHS). Bossier High's student population has been dwindling for years.

Wow, Parkway's getting a new campus? That's great for them. I wonder what my alma mater's future is gonna be (Bossier High). Sadly, I don't think its future is as bright as Parkway or Airline (unless they redistrict to send more kids to BHS). Bossier High's student population has been dwindling for years.

Yeah, all the schools in the central Bossier area are losing student population to the schools to the north, south, and east. Parkway will be completely rebuilt further down Barksdale Blvd, and I believe there will be a new Elm Grove school as well.

North Bossier is getting two new elementary schools: one at I-220 and Swan Lake Road and one on Swan Lake Road, about 1-2 miles from Airline Drive. Who'd have EVER thought Swan Lake Road would have one new school, let alone two!?!? Soon that road is to be turned into a major north-south thoroughfare, and as someone who used to like going out there for the "Ju-Ju Road" legend, it's really hard to believe.

Airline most definitely needs to be expanded.

HOLY cow, who'd'a thunk it!?!? It appears the old Fountain Tower apartments have been renovated and are now LUXURY apartments overlooking the city! They're called Highland View now, and the property is supposedly gated, the apartments have granite countertops, WIFI access, and there's a spa and business center on-site. This is excellent news for a part of Shreveport that REALLY needed something nice and new like this. Sure it's an old building, but apparently new life is being breathed into it. This explains why I've been seeing lights on in apartments on the top floor lately... here's an excerpt from the link posted below:

UNDER 100% RESTORATION! 12th FLOOR COMPLETION SCHEDULED FOR 3-1-07. 11th Floor: 3-19-07 10th Floor: 4-9-07(pending construction delays) Luxury one bedroom and studio apartments for lease in Shreveport's newest high-rise community. Highland View offers hardwood floors, granite countertops, built-in media centers, and amazing views of Shreveport. Please call today to hear about our pre-leasing offers.

http://beta.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1043806

HOLY cow, who'd'a thunk it!?!? It appears the old Fountain Tower apartments have been renovated and are now LUXURY apartments overlooking the city! They're called Highland View now, and the property is supposedly gated, the apartments have granite countertops, WIFI access, and there's a spa and business center on-site. This is excellent news for a part of Shreveport that REALLY needed something nice and new like this. Sure it's an old building, but apparently new life is being breathed into it. This explains why I've been seeing lights on in apartments on the top floor lately... here's an excerpt from the link posted below:

http://beta.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1043806

Everyday I pass this on I-49 but only occasionally do I get a glimpse of it. Just wondered the other day what was going on there at the old Fountain Towers. Well this is a surprise! Really cool! Would like to check it out just for curiousity's sake.