Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

you'd think that Airline would be getting at least expanded.. They are going to build a new Parkway highschool near sligo road that's supposed to be huge and south bossier isn't growing nearly as much as north bossier.

Actually south Bossier is growing quite a bit, tho' not as rapidly as the north end. Check out the Savannah Place and the south end of Golden Meadows, some empty Southgate lots and the Gardens of Southgate and Tara. The 71 to Jimmie Davis traffic during morning rush is rapidly becoming bumper to bumper, I kid you not. I don't ever see commercial development ever being strong down here, however. Fairly easy access into southeast Shreveport shopping will prevent that as well as a tight traffic situation.

BTW- Why shouldn't Airline be allowed to use the complete facility of the former BPCC campus? Does BPCC still hold any classes there? I think it's ridiculous not to be able to.

Actually south Bossier is growing quite a bit, tho' not as rapidly as the north end. Check out the Savannah Place and the south end of Golden Meadows, some empty Southgate lots and the Gardens of Southgate and Tara. The 71 to Jimmie Davis traffic during morning rush is rapidly becoming bumper to bumper, I kid you not. I don't ever see commercial development ever being strong down here, however. Fairly easy access into southeast Shreveport shopping will prevent that as well as a tight traffic situation.

BTW- Why shouldn't Airline be allowed to use the complete facility of the former BPCC campus? Does BPCC still hold any classes there? I think it's ridiculous not to be able to.

I don't think BPCC uses it at all anymore. I think Airline taking it over is also an excellent idea. I really hope they're looking into that.

You're right, South Bossier isn't growing as much. It's more like it's getting cramed. My wife and I were going to build in Savannah. But, like everyone else has said, who wants a house near railroad tracks and right near the base. I can stand planes, but planes AND trains! Plus, you have to go through every other neighborhood to get there. Imagine what it will look like when the older neighborhoods are starting to deteriorate. As far as Bossier High School goes, last time I heard (2001) it was supposed to be shutting down for constantly failing some inspection. You know, the one that they see how well students are taught. There's really no need for Bossier High, IMO. The old BPCC campus is totally deserted, so I see no reason why Airline shouldn't expand. Or tear BPCC down and extend. Who knows.

You're right, South Bossier isn't growing as much. It's more like it's getting cramed. My wife and I were going to build in Savannah. But, like everyone else has said, who wants a house near railroad tracks and right near the base. I can stand planes, but planes AND trains! Plus, you have to go through every other neighborhood to get there. Imagine what it will look like when the older neighborhoods are starting to deteriorate. As far as Bossier High School goes, last time I heard (2001) it was supposed to be shutting down for constantly failing some inspection. You know, the one that they see how well students are taught. There's really no need for Bossier High, IMO. The old BPCC campus is totally deserted, so I see no reason why Airline shouldn't expand. Or tear BPCC down and extend. Who knows.

oh yeah I know south bossier is growing quite a bit.. it's just homes really.. the older folks here don't want business here.. theyre afraid of more traffic. I've attended a south bossier meeting and that was a huge concern for them. I live in an older neighborhood.. and it's actually getting nicer.. sure you have some homes that are falling apart.. but I wouldnt live anywhere else.. quiet if you can get past the trains!!! you can't find this kind of neighborhood in shreveport without CRIME

I hate to Corso you, but, not so fast, my friend. Yes, Shreveport has certain areas where crime is prevalent. But to make a sweeping statement that the whole city is that way is not true. I live in Shreveport, in a quiet area that has very little to no crime at all. It just depends on where in Shreveport you live.

Edited by Metlife

I hate to Corso you, but, not so fast, my friend. Yes, Shreveport has certain areas where crime is prevalent. But to make a sweeping statement that the whole city is that way is not true. I live in Shreveport, in a quiet area that has very little to no crime at all. It just depends on where in Shreveport you live.

Very true. A lot of people from outside of Louisiana generalize the whole state in that same way. They think it's all ghetto and crime ridden. The hurricane coverage from 05 didn't help the state's image much.

There are definitely some great neighborhoods in Shreveport that I wouldn't mind living in

Very true. A lot of people from outside of Louisiana generalize the whole state in that same way. They think it's all ghetto and crime ridden. The hurricane coverage from 05 didn't help the state's image much.

There are definitely some great neighborhoods in Shreveport that I wouldn't mind living in

me and my wife tried to find a place to live in Shreveport in our price range.. I wanted to live in Shreveport.. everytime we were shown a home.. we were scared to exit the car when we got there. we found a great home. I love Shreveport.. don't get me wrong.. but if you're starting out.. bossier just seems much safer. I live in Southern Gardens and older low income neighborhood.. I don't hear anything but trains and planes.. I love it though.

me and my wife tried to find a place to live in Shreveport in our price range.. I wanted to live in Shreveport.. everytime we were shown a home.. we were scared to exit the car when we got there. we found a great home. I love Shreveport.. don't get me wrong.. but if you're starting out.. bossier just seems much safer. I live in Southern Gardens and older low income neighborhood.. I don't hear anything but trains and planes.. I love it though.

Every single home we looked at in Shreveport for UNDER $150,000 was in a questionable area. I can't even tell you how many different neighborhoods we looked at, but nothing felt safe. For $130,000 we ended up in a very family-oriented, quiet area full of military families in Haughton.

Every single home we looked at in Shreveport for UNDER $150,000 was in a questionable area. I can't even tell you how many different neighborhoods we looked at, but nothing felt safe. For $130,000 we ended up in a very family-oriented, quiet area full of military families in Haughton.

My parents neighborhood is safe, and their house cost 50K back in '92. It's probably worth around 85K to 90K now, but it's still a safe neighborhood. It might not "look" like a super nice place, but it's not dangerous. I guess if it's a look of safety you're going for, then I guess I can understand the mentality. It kinda explains why a lot of folks leave the area altogether

My parents neighborhood is safe, and their house cost 50K back in '92. It's probably worth around 85K to 90K now, but it's still a safe neighborhood. It might not "look" like a super nice place, but it's not dangerous. I guess if it's a look of safety you're going for, then I guess I can understand the mentality. It kinda explains why a lot of folks leave the area altogether

What area is that? I have to admit that one area I looked at was Southern Hills, and though that neighborhood really isn't bad, the areas around the homes I looked at were really going downhill. But that's the thing about Shreveport, that one block can look nice and another not so nice.

Not many people are leaving the area altogether anymore. Most people these days just cross the river. It keeps them in the area but gives them more of a sense of security.

Just curioius. What "looks" safe?

Aw now, south Bossier ain't so bad. After a while you don't even notice the trains. They become a part of your routine. Both planes and trains together beats some other problems we could have.

Just curioius. What "looks" safe?

It varies from person to person. Generally, the wealthier a place looks, the "safer" it looks. Not necessarily true of course

--Not many people are leaving the area altogether anymore. Most people these days just cross the river. It keeps them in the area but gives them more of a sense of security.--

A lot of college grads leave the area shortly after graduation. Many go to Texas for more opportunities, and perceived quality of life improvement.

Edited by baffroom

It varies from person to person. Generally, the wealthier a place looks, the "safer" it looks. Not necessarily true of course

--Not many people are leaving the area altogether anymore. Most people these days just cross the river. It keeps them in the area but gives them more of a sense of security.--

A lot of college grads leave the area shortly after graduation. Many go to Texas for more opportunities, and perceived quality of life improvement.

well half the houses we were shown were abandoned with boarded up windows and the one that was remodeled we thought about buying.. I saw people drinking 40 oz. while walking down the road in the middle of the day... I don't want any kids riding their bikes on the sidewalk with that... I found a nice place in bossier cheaper in one day after months of looking in shreveport.

Yet many are beginning to return home. The number of young professionals in this area is growing and I hope it continues to grow.

There's no denying that many are still leaving, but the fact is that the trend has begun to reverse. It's not just Shreveport, though, but Louisiana in general... and it's a shame. We just need the trend to continue swinging back in our favor.

probably! no outskirts of southern hills area

Southern Hills definitely has its nicer parts, but Craig it sounds like you and I were looking at homes in the same parts of that neighborhood for sure!

People shouldn't be so afraid of areas that may or may not go "bad".

I bought a house in Southern Hills last Thanksgiving and i will not, let me repeat that WILL NOT allow my home neighborhood to become the next Cedar Grove, Allendale or Mooretown.

The only way to hold off and ultimately to stop the decay of decent neighborhoods is to have people move back into them and do what it takes to keep the riff-raff out.

If i see someone on my street or in my neighborhood that is walking around drinking a 40, you can rest assured that i will let them know that their behavior in MY neighborhood is NOT going to be tolerated and that they should leave.

Likewise if someone moves in and lets their yard go to hell and a bad element starts coming over for 2 minute visits at all hours of the day and night.

The real question we have to ask ourselves isn't where are we going to move to now?

It should be "What are we willing to do to keep our neighborhood safe for future families?"

Just a short rant on keeping a neighborhood safe and sound.

Mudbugger

People shouldn't be so afraid of areas that may or may not go "bad".

I bought a house in Southern Hills last Thanksgiving and i will not, let me repeat that WILL NOT allow my home neighborhood to become the next Cedar Grove, Allendale or Mooretown.

The only way to hold off and ultimately to stop the decay of decent neighborhoods is to have people move back into them and do what it takes to keep the riff-raff out.

If i see someone on my street or in my neighborhood that is walking around drinking a 40, you can rest assured that i will let them know that their behavior in MY neighborhood is NOT going to be tolerated and that they should leave.

Likewise if someone moves in and lets their yard go to hell and a bad element starts coming over for 2 minute visits at all hours of the day and night.

The real question we have to ask ourselves isn't where are we going to move to now?

It should be "What are we willing to do to keep our neighborhood safe for future families?"

Just a short rant on keeping a neighborhood safe and sound.

Mudbugger

That's definitely the attitude I wish more people had. Too many people look to flee an area at th first sign of whatever they think is a decline. Neighborhoods would benefit from more people like yourself who have pride in where they live.

The attitude does seem different in other places I've been. A lot of Texans are very proud to be from Texas, and the same goes for city pride in some Texas towns. I wish Louisianans would do the same

That's definitely the attitude I wish more people had. Too many people look to flee an area at th first sign of whatever they think is a decline. Neighborhoods would benefit from more people like yourself who have pride in where they live.

The attitude does seem different in other places I've been. A lot of Texans are very proud to be from Texas, and the same goes for city pride in some Texas towns. I wish Louisianans would do the same

There's a difference in having pride in where you live and then wanting to move into an area that already appears to be going downhill.

I know a lot of people who are proud to be from Louisiana. The same goes for Shreveport. Likewise I know people who wish they didn't live in Texas. This is common everywhere... you have people on both sides of the fence.

I suppose there does seem to be MORE civic pride in Texas. That said, however, Texas and Louisiana are two completely different states. Texas is a far wealthier state than Louisiana for starters, so no doubt people from that state would have more civic pride. You can't compare New Orleans to Austin in any way except culture/nightlife. For all other reasons, they're worlds apart. Texas and Louisiana, in general, are also worlds apart.

Has anyone been down Swan Lake Road lately? I've noticed that the big house right across from Tiburon looks like it's abandoned. Also, about a 1/2 mile up the road they are clearing land. Anyone know about that house or what's going where the land is being cleared?

Well I recently noticed that they were doing some work on that side of the road. Looks like someone is getting ready to build homes running that entire stretch of road on the west side.

That large house with the winding staircases on front appears abandoned!? I wonder if it has already been bought out in order to develop a subdivision there...

I need to drive out that way this weekend to see what all is going on.

Well I recently noticed that they were doing some work on that side of the road. Looks like someone is getting ready to build homes running that entire stretch of road on the west side.

That large house with the winding staircases on front appears abandoned!? I wonder if it has already been bought out in order to develop a subdivision there...

I need to drive out that way this weekend to see what all is going on.

No, not the one with the winding staircase. That one isn't in front of Tiburon. You'll see it. I mean, it's directly across from the Tiburon entrance.

I wanted to open a new topic, but this falls under sbc development. I found this quite interesting and pretty awesome!

Branding Shreveport/Bossier:

"Shreveport-Bossier City has partnered with North Star Destination Strategies to develop a community “Brand” for marketing the city to visitors, residents and businesses in the year 2007 and beyond. According to North Star CEO Don McEachern, at the heart of Shreveport-Bossier City

Edited by user_name