Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

I've heard about a funky smell in downtown Shreveport several times in the past. Now I know it is from "smell of cooking dead animals at a rendering plant" on North Market street!

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...40328/1002/NEWS

There's also a Purina dog food plant that can be smelled downtown at certain times...

Retail climate looks sunny in Shreveport

"These days, seeing construction seems to be a regular part of a daily commute through the Shreveport-Bossier City area.

Whether it's work on J.C. Penney and Kohl's on Youree Drive in Shreveport, the near completion of a Wal-Mart Supercenter along Shreveport-Barksdale Highway in Shreveport or the long-awaited opening of Target on Airline Drive in Bossier City, all are signs of a booming retail environment."

I just wanted to add that I noticed this afternoon, dirt work has begun on the site of the Villaggio development. I looked off the interstate today and saw the work being done.

Awesome!

Also, I was in south Shreveport today and I saw 2 new things... Dick's Sporting Goods has a "coming soon" sign up now and the condo complex at Island Park has begun construction.

Finally guys! :yahoo:

Hilton set to open its doors Wednesday

"After years of deliberation, months of construction delays and weeks of preparation, Hilton Shreveport will switch on its automatic entrance doors for guests Wednesday.

For better or worse, the city of Shreveport will be in the hotel business."

Related article: Hotel puts Hightower's legacy on the line

Edited by fridayinla

Since Fuddruckers was brought up in the Louisiana Boardwalk topic, I was researching things a bit and found something I'd never seen before. It appears that back in 2003 Fuddruckers was looking at a site at Fern/Bert Kouns, near the Auto Mall. This is cached info from Google taken off the ZBA's website back in 2003:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. CASE NO. BAC-89-03: 8600 - 8700 Block of Fern Avenue Parish Commission

THE GLADSTONE GROUP INC d/b/a Fuddruckers District: 9/Brown

The Business Park of Shreveport-Bossier LLC

South side of Fern Avenue, 1,550 feet northwesterly of Industrial Loop

Special Exception Use in a B-3 District

Restaurant with the on-premise consumption of high alcoholic content beverages

APPROVED w/STIPS - - - VOTE = 6/0

CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT "E"/HOGAN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that zoning was approved unanimously. I wonder why the restaurant was never constructed?

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Maybe the franchisor fell through? Either way, I think Fuddruckers is a great fit in the Boardwalk... a better location than Fern/Bert Kouns IMO.

True, but I think Fern/Bert Kouns would make a nice second location. There's already a very popular Mexican restaurant, an Indian restaurant, a barbecue restaurant, and a Japanese restaurant all right there, plus the Auto Mall which is a VERY high-traffic spot. Bert Kouns is a street you can barely move down at any given time of day, so having a restaurant on Fern near Bert Kouns would be extremely high visibility. And it would make a nice addition to the new Holiday Inn Express that opened right there last year.

So... maybe the plans are still out there or maybe it's the same franchisee and he decided on another location? Who knows, but I'd like to see 2-3 Fuddruckers built here (Boardwalk, North Bossier, South Shreveport.) I'll definitely take the one, though, if that's all we can get. :)

There was an article in yesterday's Bossier Press-Tribune about the new Target store nearing completion at Airline Drive/I-220. The store will feature the grocery line that the standard Target stores feature but will not have a fresh meats or deli area, unlike a SuperTarget. They are considering future expansion, though, as evidenced by the 30,000 sq. ft. of space they have set aside for this purpose.

The new Bossier City store will also feature a photo lab, pharmacy, Starbucks, and Pizza Hut. SO... just like Youree Drive in southeast Shreveport, there will now be two Starbucks across the street from one another in north Bossier. This will bring the number of Starbucks stores along Airline Drive to three.

The article: http://www.nwlanews.com/index.php?option=c...50&Itemid=1

Edited by SBCmetroguy

There was an article in yesterday's Bossier Press-Tribune about the new Target store nearing completion at Airline Drive/I-220. The store will feature the grocery line that the standard Target stores feature but will not have a fresh meats or deli area, unlike a SuperTarget. They are considering future expansion, though, as evidenced by the 30,000 sq. ft. of space they have set aside for this purpose.

The new Bossier City store will also feature a photo lab, pharmacy, Starbucks, and Pizza Hut. SO... just like Youree Drive in southeast Shreveport, there will now be two Starbucks across the street from one another in north Bossier. This will bring the number of Starbucks stores along Airline Drive to three.

The article: http://www.nwlanews.com/index.php?option=c...50&Itemid=1

Target is awesome, seriously... they're the world's highest-rated discount retailer and very popular here in L.A. K-Mart and Walmart don't even come close, especially K-Mart :sick: . I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one opens up just a couple blocks from my place (the announcement should come later this month :yahoo:). Anyway, how's the construction progress on the other buildings in the Stirling Bossier development? Other tenants are planned to open this summer, right?

Target is awesome, seriously... they're the world's highest-rated discount retailer and very popular here in L.A. K-Mart and Walmart don't even come close, especially K-Mart :sick: . I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one opens up just a couple blocks from my place (the announcement should come later this month :yahoo:). Anyway, how's the construction progress on the other buildings in the Stirling Bossier development? Other tenants are planned to open this summer, right?

Well, Chick-Fil-A opens tomorrow and the Capital One bank is very close to completion as well. Other buildings are at various stages of completion... it's coming along VERY nicely!!

Across from the development, Texarkana-based TaMolly's Mexican Restaurant is opening the first of at least 2 restaurants they'll build in this market.

I found this video on the Villaggio website:

Villaggio Video News Report

There is no new information in the video, but you guys may want to watch it. I was hoping it would give a completion date for phase I, but the video literally cuts off RIGHT as she's about to say it!! :angry:

It seems like she was about to say "Summer..." Perhaps summer '08.

New Chick-fil-A arrives in Bossier

"The restaurant, which will bring about 65 new jobs to the area, is one of several new businesses the Bossier City Chamber of Commerce will welcome to town this month during ground breakings and ribbon cuttings...

Ribbon cuttings this month include: Blue Moon Barbecue and Grill on Barksdale Boulevard, June 13; Life Share Blood Center's 65th anniversary event, June 14; Mitchell Park expansion, June 15; Fitness 24, June 19; all in Bossier City; plus, the Louisiana Association for the Blind's Low Vision Rehabilitation Center in Shreveport, June 27, Johnson said."

Oh man! All these developments sound real exciting! The next time I actually explore SBC I won't recognize parts of it. Shreveport is already growing very swiftly just think how it will be when I-49 and 69 are completed. SBC will have DFW or Vegas like booms!

Oh man! All these developments sound real exciting! The next time I actually explore SBC I won't recognize parts of it. Shreveport is already growing very swiftly just think how it will be when I-49 and 69 are completed. SBC will have DFW or Vegas like booms!

I cant wait to see how it affects the area! too bad I-69 wont be built before I'm dead :( jk man once 69 crosses near the port it will be a mega port you better believe it! I could see shreveport becoming a major shipping center with land air and sea capabilities! and especially if they build that command center at BAFB.. holy crap that will transform the city like crazy.. youll see contracting companies working with the command center sorta like you see in Huntsville with the red stone arsenal.. it will be amazing to see.. you never know.. 100 years from now it could be the dallas fort worth shreveport bossier metro area lol