Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

I hear that another truck stop is looking at Haughton. I hear it will be on the north side of I-20. I also hear that Walgreens is looking to compete with the new Haughton CVS. I heard they are looking between I-220 and the CVS for a location. Anyone else heard anything lately? It's been kinda quiet. Hey Brian, do you know when you are going to be able to tell what you know? :dontknow:

I hear that another truck stop is looking at Haughton. I hear it will be on the north side of I-20. I also hear that Walgreens is looking to compete with the new Haughton CVS. I heard they are looking between I-220 and the CVS for a location. Anyone else heard anything lately? It's been kinda quiet. Hey Brian, do you know when you are going to be able to tell what you know? :dontknow:

That must be the dirt work that's being done across 157 from the Texaco on the north side of I-20. I've been wondering about that. ((edit: actually that site might be in use right now as a staging grounds for the I-20 work. I drove by there again today and looked... it appears to be more of a staging grounds than a construction site.))

And where in the heck would Walgreens build a store near CVS? There's no room over there. It will be interesting to see what gets torn down and replaced, I suppose.

I may never be able to tell what I know... who knows. But I know something else as well. ;) An architect I'm doing some commercial photography work for told me about something else that has been discussed. Of course I can't talk about that either.

So anyway... about that site in front of Strawn's. Yeah I'd like to know as well. Maybe PF Chang's is building there instead? :lol: Doubt it. My guess would be another of those little retail outparcel buildings like they have all around that shopping center.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

That must be the dirt work that's being done across 157 from the Texaco on the north side of I-20. I've been wondering about that.

And where in the heck would Walgreens build a store near CVS? There's no room over there. It will be interesting to see what gets torn down and replaced, I suppose.

I may never be able to tell what I know... who knows. But I know something else as well. ;) An architect I'm doing some commercial photography work for told me about something else that has been discussed. Of course I can't talk about that either.

So anyway... about that site in front of Strawn's. Yeah I'd like to know as well. Maybe PF Chang's is building there instead? :lol: Doubt it. My guess would be another of those little retail outparcel buildings like they have all around that shopping center.

Brian can you tell me since I don't even live in Louisiana anymore? :o

That must be the dirt work that's being done across 157 from the Texaco on the north side of I-20. I've been wondering about that. ((edit: actually that site might be in use right now as a staging grounds for the I-20 work. I drove by there again today and looked... it appears to be more of a staging grounds than a construction site.))

I also thought it looked like a staging area for the road work, but I was told that it had been surveyed. I don't know. I heard that whoever owns the property at the corner of 80 and Stockwell Rd was trying to attract Walgreens to that corner. I was also told that Walgreens was looking at that old Kings Krossing store, but they are looking for a traffic light. Brian, why do you have to tease us? :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm . . .

I still don't know what's going on E.70th in front of Strawn's on that outparcel... but I have been noticing something lately. In east Bossier, across the street from Louisiana Downs they have been clearing land for quite some time. Now, across Stockwell Road from that site, behind the Circle K, the vacant property there has been mowed and a sign is up showing that land as available for Hotel-Office-Retail. Looks like that area could be growing up soon...

Hmmm . . .

I still don't know what's going on E.70th in front of Strawn's on that outparcel... but I have been noticing something lately. In east Bossier, across the street from Louisiana Downs they have been clearing land for quite some time. Now, across Stockwell Road from that site, behind the Circle K, the vacant property there has been mowed and a sign is up showing that land as available for Hotel-Office-Retail. Looks like that area could be growing up soon...

They are definitely doing something over in front of Strawn's. I went by last week and noticed heavy work being done there. As far as by LA Downs, I think I had mentioned I heard that the property owners of that property on Hwy 80 by Circle K were trying to lure Walgreens. I haven't heard anything about behind Circle K. I have also noticed a lot of Commercial Realtor signs going up around the Waffle House in Haughton. I would love to see something happen here.

Edited by jcasey

They are definitely doing something over in front of Strawn's. I went by last week and noticed heavy work being done there. As far as by LA Downs, I think I had mentioned I heard that the property owners of that property on Hwy 80 by Circle K were trying to lure Walgreens. I haven't heard anything about behind Circle K. I have also noticed a lot of Commercial Realtor signs going up around the Waffle House in Haughton. I would love to see something happen here.

I saw that sign the other day as well... the one by Waffle House in Haughton.

The Walgreens thing... is that the one you mentioned here recently?

• 2 weeks later...

There's a little blurb in today's Times about a Marriott TownePlace Suites being built off I-20 at Old Minden Road in Bossier. I'm wondering where they actually have space to build something like this in that area... that's an old part of Bossier and there's no open land. The only place I can think of is next to the Raceway gas station on the property where Morrison's Cafeteria operated in the 80s, and then Dragon House Buffet until a couple years ago. The building was demolished a while back and that land is wide open. Would they build a hotel right next to a middle school like that, though?? Rusheon Middle School would be DIRECTLY next door.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...326/1064/NEWS05

There's a little blurb in today's Times about a Marriott TownePlace Suites being built off I-20 at Old Minden Road in Bossier. I'm wondering where they actually have space to build something like this in that area... that's an old part of Bossier and there's no open land. The only place I can think of is next to the Raceway gas station on the property where Morrison's Cafeteria operated in the 80s, and then Dragon House Buffet until a couple years ago. The building was demolished a while back and that land is wide open. Would they build a hotel right next to a middle school like that, though?? Rusheon Middle School would be DIRECTLY next door.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...326/1064/NEWS05

The article says it is going to be opening late 2008? That sure is a quick build. I have to wonder if they are not rebranding one of the other hotels over there. Other than it being 96 rooms, I don't see how they could build it so fast. :dontknow:

The article says it is going to be opening late 2008? That sure is a quick build. I have to wonder if they are not rebranding one of the other hotels over there. Other than it being 96 rooms, I don't see how they could build it so fast. :dontknow:

If they started very soon they could open one of those by December. It only takes 1 year to build a 25-story hotel, with all the heavy construction involved there.

That said, however, a little research on TownePlace Suites tells me that it is an extended-stay brand such as Marriott's Residence Inn. It's possible they are just going to rebrand their Residence Inn into a TownePlace Suites, but why? I suppose they could have a good reason, but it sounds kind of dumb to me.

They are definitely doing something over in front of Strawn's. I went by last week and noticed heavy work being done there.

Drove by there this evening after work and saw a sign saying there will be a building there for sale. I guess they will build it to match their other outparcel retail buildings and sell it off. Too bad PF Chang's isn't building there... or apparently anywhere now. Bummer...

Drove by there this evening after work and saw a sign saying there will be a building there for sale. I guess they will build it to match their other outparcel retail buildings and sell it off. Too bad PF Chang's isn't building there... or apparently anywhere now. Bummer...

Hmmm....so their just building to sale? That seems odd.

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked about PF Changs toying with us like they have for the past few years. I'm about to become disgruntled PF Changs lover! I'm maybe more ticked at SDI for name dropping. Why say names like PF Changs, La Madeline and Capital Grille and not come through? I'm beginning to think it's all lies to hype the building of their developments. What do you think?

On another note, I noticed they are beginning to work on the parcel by Airline across from Chick-Fil-A at the Stirling Bossier site. According to the new site plan a Progressive Bank and a Longhorn Steakhouse (proposed) are to go on that plot. I also just found on Longhorn's website they are currently hiring managers for Shreveport and Bossier. I guess it's something. :dontknow:

Hmmm....so their just building to sale? That seems odd.

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked about PF Changs toying with us like they have for the past few years. I'm about to become disgruntled PF Changs lover! I'm maybe more ticked at SDI for name dropping. Why say names like PF Changs, La Madeline and Capital Grille and not come through? I'm beginning to think it's all lies to hype the building of their developments. What do you think?

On another note, I noticed they are beginning to work on the parcel by Airline across from Chick-Fil-A at the Stirling Bossier site. According to the new site plan a Progressive Bank and a Longhorn Steakhouse (proposed) are to go on that plot. I also just found on Longhorn's website they are currently hiring managers for Shreveport and Bossier. I guess it's something. :dontknow:

I thought so, too. Normally you build a retail outparcel building and lease it out... not sell it outright. Strange. I had to look at the sign twice to make sure I read it correctly.

I don't think so... actually it was more Liz Swaine and Hightower's office. He was really big on naming those things because he wanted people to remember him for bringing all that stuff to Shreveport. SDI was really working for Hightower on what restaurants and stores to bring here, so it all started there. And I'm not bashing Hightower, because there were many things he did that I really liked. He definitely was a forward-thinking mayor, I just wish he hadn't been so big on these names. Capital Grille just got all screwed up. Apparently they were eyeing us only for a Longhorn Steakhouse, which is a company they also own. How the mayor's office could have gotten that wrong is beyond me. False hope... man I was excited at the possibility.

I know Baton Rouge has both Le Madeline and PF Chang's. Lots of other similarly-sized cities have them, so I have no doubt that they were looking seriously, but somewhere down the line the ball got dropped. I don't know if those companies began to wonder about sustainability in this market... but it's there, believe me. After falling so far behind the rest of the country through the 80s and into the early 90s, we are starved for certain things here and people here just love new stores and restaurants. I think they would be surprised to see how well a Capital Grille would have done here... or how well a Sak's Fifth Avenue store would do here, based on how starved this market is for good eateries and stores.

Speaking of Longhorn Steakhouse, it looks like they jumped ship to Bossier based on what you mentioned. Perhaps PF Chang's will do the same... keep your fingers crossed. At least they would be in this market, and they would be much closer to you and I.

I thought so, too. Normally you build a retail outparcel building and lease it out... not sell it outright. Strange. I had to look at the sign twice to make sure I read it correctly.

I don't think so... actually it was more Liz Swaine and Hightower's office. He was really big on naming those things because he wanted people to remember him for bringing all that stuff to Shreveport. SDI was really working for Hightower on what restaurants and stores to bring here, so it all started there. And I'm not bashing Hightower, because there were many things he did that I really liked. He definitely was a forward-thinking mayor, I just wish he hadn't been so big on these names. Capital Grille just got all screwed up. Apparently they were eyeing us only for a Longhorn Steakhouse, which is a company they also own. How the mayor's office could have gotten that wrong is beyond me. False hope... man I was excited at the possibility.

I know Baton Rouge has both Le Madeline and PF Chang's. Lots of other similarly-sized cities have them, so I have no doubt that they were looking seriously, but somewhere down the line the ball got dropped. I don't know if those companies began to wonder about sustainability in this market... but it's there, believe me. After falling so far behind the rest of the country through the 80s and into the early 90s, we are starved for certain things here and people here just love new stores and restaurants. I think they would be surprised to see how well a Capital Grille would have done here... or how well a Sak's Fifth Avenue store would do here, based on how starved this market is for good eateries and stores.

Speaking of Longhorn Steakhouse, it looks like they jumped ship to Bossier based on what you mentioned. Perhaps PF Chang's will do the same... keep your fingers crossed. At least they would be in this market, and they would be much closer to you and I.

Well, whoever is doing the name dropping is doing those developments a disservice. It makes those developments very disappointing to me. Anyway. I have been wondering, did that Bombay store beside Pier 1 in Shreveport close? It looks closed to me, but I wasn't sure.

I also thought that Longhorn bypassed Shreveport for Bossier, but I'm not so sure. Their website is hiring managers for Shreveport and Bossier. You know that the company that owns Longhorn (Darden Restaurants) has that empty BBQ restaurant over in front of Circuit City. They could always revamp it and move in. It's just a thought.

Well, whoever is doing the name dropping is doing those developments a disservice. It makes those developments very disappointing to me. Anyway. I have been wondering, did that Bombay store beside Pier 1 in Shreveport close? It looks closed to me, but I wasn't sure.

I also thought that Longhorn bypassed Shreveport for Bossier, but I'm not so sure. Their website is hiring managers for Shreveport and Bossier. You know that the company that owns Longhorn (Darden Restaurants) has that empty BBQ restaurant over in front of Circuit City. They could always revamp it and move in. It's just a thought.

I think it would be awesome if Podnuhs opened another store in the old place near eh JUST FOR FEET. it looks like a perfect spot.. what was that place called? that other bbq that wasnt all that great

I think it would be awesome if Podnuhs opened another store in the old place near eh JUST FOR FEET. it looks like a perfect spot.. what was that place called? that other bbq that wasnt all that great

Oh no, I know you didn't just talk smack about Tony Roma's!

Man I loved that place and hated, hated, HATED that it closed. It was fairly cheap for lunch and their ribs were very good.

I do agree it would make a nice location for a Podnuh's... but the price tag needs to come down out of the millions before Podnuh's would even look at it.

Speaking of Just For Feet, I've always thought that would make an awesome new location for Sportspectrum. BUT it looks like Sportspectrum is trying to get in on the northwest corner of Fern and 70th, between Fern and the bayou I suppose. I saw that on either the MPC or ZBA site recently.

Oh no, I know you didn't just talk smack about Tony Roma's!

Man I loved that place and hated, hated, HATED that it closed. It was fairly cheap for lunch and their ribs were very good.

I do agree it would make a nice location for a Podnuh's... but the price tag needs to come down out of the millions before Podnuh's would even look at it.

Speaking of Just For Feet, I've always thought that would make an awesome new location for Sportspectrum. BUT it looks like Sportspectrum is trying to get in on the northwest corner of Fern and 70th, between Fern and the bayou I suppose. I saw that on either the MPC or ZBA site recently.

I second that! I loved Tony Roma's! I was not at all happy when it closed. The best was the Carolina Honeys ribs and chicken wings. Ummmm....I can taste them now!

Willis-Knighton will open its new medical office building in north Bossier on Sunday. Is it just me, or is that an odd day of the week to open it? Not that I care, I was just thinking aloud... :)

Anyway, I like the building and I think it really adds to the progressive feel of north Bossier.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...327/1064/NEWS05

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ya'll! :P

What are the biggest projects going up right now up there?

The biggest projects are the CIC (Cyber Innovation Center) at $100 million. Second to that would probably be Villaggio, which is an Italian-themed community featuring apartments, condos, retail/dining, and a recreational lake. This project is being built about 1/4-mile down the road from CIC. Both projects are being built on either side of the recently constructed new campus for Bossier Parish Community College. Then we have a hospital addition (tower addition) that just finished in north Bossier, which was a pretty big project and we have a large hospital addition (tower addition) beginning in southeast Shreveport (same hospital chain, Willis-Knighton.)

Aside from that there are a few hotels under construction and planned, but nothing major going up... that's why it's been so quiet in here lately.

I'm waiting to hear more about a couple of huge projects I've heard about... those will be very exciting if they ever get off the ground. Unfortunately I can't name those but they sounded really grand.

Edited by SBCmetroguy