Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Another proposed movie studio for Shreveport. This one is on Wallace Lake Road just north of Southern Loop. Looks quite large and nicely landscaped from the plan submitted. No idea who all is involved with this development but it does look promising.

http://www.ci.shreveport.la.us/MPC/P-10-08.htm

I still would like to see a full-fledged Disney animation studio built here since one of our own residents, Bill Joyce, is renowned for his creations which Disney/Pixar has brought to the big screen (Meet the Robinsons, Rollie Polie Olie (or however it's spelled), Robots, and more.

Brian, you are 110% right. Bill Joyce should be doing anything and everything he can to get Disney to put an animation studio here. He also very well might be. I do not know a lot about what he does around the area, but from what I can tell, he loves Shreveport. I remember him coming to my school when I was in kindergarten or first grade. This was probably about 23 or so years ago. Now, he is very famous and accomplished. I am very proud he is from Shreveport to be honest.

• 5 months later...

What!? I was just over there a few weeks ago. I work not far from there, but I avoid Bert Kouns and Youree these days as much as possible.

Since moving onto psychology as my current obsession, it's become obvious that I am not following development as much as I was. There are two new hotels being built across I-20 from one another in Bossier, though. I pass by them every morning and every evening. One is beside Rusheon Middle School and nearly touching I-20, and the other is on the north side of I-20 by Texas Roadhouse, Rockin Rodeo, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

I was over on Fluornoy-Lucas Road a while back and am amazed at how much it has changed. They are in the process of moving utilities so they can widen it to 5 lanes, and Live Oak is undergoing a major expansion project. The widening of the road was necessary, though, since the Terry Bradshaw Freeway (I REFUSE the word "Passway") now terminates there rather than at Bert Kouns.

And in Bossier, it looks like land acquisition will begin soon along Swan Lake Road between Shed Road and Highway 80 for that 5-laning project. It will be 5-laned from Highway 80 to I-220 for now, and then afterward it will be widened all the way north where it will meet up with a new extension of Crouch Road and eventually will terminate at Cypress Lake.

By the way, anyone been to the Boardwalk lately? Is that hotel still NOT built? I never go down there anymore but around Christmas time when I was down there I was yet again disappointed. Perhaps the coming music village to be built north of Bass Pro will entice them to finish the thing and to re-visit their initial plan to attach a 10-12 story hotel to Bass Pro like they have in Grapevine, Texas!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article regarding a Louisiana Hayride project on the riverfront...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/200...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

Yeah the Hayride Music Village is something I've been looking forward to for about a year or longer now, but I'm beginning to think from this latest article that it's not going to happen now. I hope it does, though, as it will be yet another HUGE project Bossier has taken the initiative with while Shreveport sits around doing not a damned thing.

I hope this happens too! The idea of a music village sounds reallycool!! I never realized the fierce competition between Shreveport/Bossier City til I got here on UP....TOUGH choice....the Riverfront of Bossier would make for some nice synergy next to Bass Pro/La. Boardwalk. It's a shame Shreveport could not capitalize on this; seems like they had a nice Arts/Entertainment District setting up w/ infrastructure already in place.

I mentioned Louisiana Hayride to my dad today; and his words were "that's where Elvis jump started his career." SBC is located perfectly geographically between the Austin, Nashville, Branson triangle.

I hope this happens too! The idea of a music village sounds reallycool!! I never realized the fierce competition between Shreveport/Bossier City til I got here on UP....TOUGH choice....the Riverfront of Bossier would make for some nice synergy next to Bass Pro/La. Boardwalk. It's a shame Shreveport could not capitalize on this; seems like they had a nice Arts/Entertainment District setting up w/ infrastructure already in place.

I mentioned Louisiana Hayride to my dad today; and his words were "that's where Elvis jump started his career." SBC is located perfectly geographically between the Austin, Nashville, Branson triangle.

Thanks for the comment, Richy. Let me state for the record that I am absolutely against competition between Shreveport and Bossier. To me it's all one continuous city that just happens to have a river running through the middle of it. It irks me to no end when Shreveport lets big project after big project slip through its fingers, and I am just glad Bossier can be there to grab these projects so that they don't end up falling apart altogether. And in the end I do admit that it is nice to see Bossier growing rapidly and developing its riverfront, because it has always been lacking. These cities desperately need a more urbanized riverfront area and both cities are working to achieve that.

Thanks for the comment, Richy. Let me state for the record that I am absolutely against competition between Shreveport and Bossier. To me it's all one continuous city that just happens to have a river running through the middle of it. It irks me to no end when Shreveport lets big project after big project slip through its fingers, and I am just glad Bossier can be there to grab these projects so that they don't end up falling apart altogether. And in the end I do admit that it is nice to see Bossier growing rapidly and developing its riverfront, because it has always been lacking. These cities desperately need a more urbanized riverfront area and both cities are working to achieve that.

I don't think some friendly competition is necessarily a bad thing. Like I've posted sometimes before, Shreveport and Bossier is one community separated by a river, as SBC was stating. Perfect example is how both cities worked together to snag the Bassmaster's Classic. Just because Bossier gets something one time, and Shreveport the next... to me it doesn't matter. It's all synergistic in my view.

• 3 weeks later...

Mentioned in today's Business Report of Baton Rouge...

Good to see the momentum in the movie industry for Shreveport continue!! :thumbsup: I'm not familiar with Ledbetter Heights; but it sounds like the neighborhood just became even a cooler place with this!!

Millennium pushing forward with studio

After 20 months of planning, Nu Image/Millennium Films plans to begin construction on an $8 million movie studio in Shreveport's Ledbetter Heights neighborhood. Construction on city-leased land should begin by the end April, according to Diego Martinez, president of Nu Image/Millennium's local unit Studio Operations.

"I've got until the end of the year to get that building built," said Martinez, whose confidence is running high.

To utilize a state's transferable tax credit for infrastructure worth up to 40 percent of construction costs the first phase of the studio must be finished by the end of 2009. "If we started in April, we'll be set," Martinez said. He's balancing studio plans with two movies in production in Louisiana: "Cool Dog" in Shreveport and "The Expendables" in New Orleans.

This first phase of the studio's two-phase construction plan will add two soundstages and offices roughly 53,000 square feet of total building space to a 6.7 acre lot, which will serve as a base of operations for the company's filmmaking operations. For a second phase, the company would add prop storage, a carpentry mill and perhaps another soundstage to a 20-acre footprint.

Edited by richyb83

Mentioned in today's Business Report of Baton Rouge...

Good to see the momentum in the movie industry for Shreveport continue!! :thumbsup: I'm not familiar with Ledbetter Heights; but it sounds like the neighborhood just became even a cooler place with this!!

Millennium pushing forward with studio

After 20 months of planning, Nu Image/Millennium Films plans to begin construction on an $8 million movie studio in Shreveport's Ledbetter Heights neighborhood. Construction on city-leased land should begin by the end April, according to Diego Martinez, president of Nu Image/Millennium's local unit Studio Operations.

"I've got until the end of the year to get that building built," said Martinez, whose confidence is running high.

To utilize a state's transferable tax credit for infrastructure worth up to 40 percent of construction costs the first phase of the studio must be finished by the end of 2009. "If we started in April, we'll be set," Martinez said. He's balancing studio plans with two movies in production in Louisiana: "Cool Dog" in Shreveport and "The Expendables" in New Orleans.

This first phase of the studio's two-phase construction plan will add two soundstages and offices roughly 53,000 square feet of total building space to a 6.7 acre lot, which will serve as a base of operations for the company's filmmaking operations. For a second phase, the company would add prop storage, a carpentry mill and perhaps another soundstage to a 20-acre footprint.

Ledbetter Heights is a slum on the outskirts of downtown Shreveport, named for legendary performer Huddie Ledbetter who was the neighborhood's most reknowned resident, and made famous by the Kenny Wayne Shepherd album and song, Ledbetter Heights.

This project is probably the best thing to ever happen to that neighborhood, if they hold true to their word and get it built. They broke ground forever ago and the lot has just been sitting empty since. I hope to see it come to fruition.

Just for fun, here's the Wikipedia page about Ledbetter Heights: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledbetter_Heights.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

• 2 weeks later...

Whole Foods, anyone? We can only on hope...

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?s=10076340

Who knows, we all know how rumors go though. I received a tip a year or two ago through a visitor to this very website about that particular brand looking at Shreveport, though this location wasn't the one mentioned. Not saying his name or mentioning his property, since he'd prefer it that way.

Anyway, I was actually coming to this thread to say that yesterday on my way home, I looked off the I-20 Red River bridge toward the Boardwalk and actually saw studs going up for the hotel. That was a very promising sight to see ... finally.

Good to see the other hotels going up along I-20 in Bossier as well, particularly the two going up at I-20 and Old Minden Road. All this is good to see, considering the current state of the national economy ... and local economists can no longer honestly say that the recession isn't affecting this area, because we're beginning to see more and more companies laying people off and instituting hiring freezes.

• 3 months later...

I read on Shreveport Times that there's going to be a 50 acre mixed income development in central Shreveport. It looks like it'll be south of Stoner and north of Wright Island. I'm guessing it'll be more apartments. It's good infill, and will give more options to younger Airmen at Barksdale looking for apartments.

On the bad side, GM is shuttering the Shreveport plant.

It's been really slow on this forum lately. Hopefully things will pick up, it's the only forum that I know of that has a dedicated Shreveport subforum.

I read on Shreveport Times that there's going to be a 50 acre mixed income development in central Shreveport. It looks like it'll be south of Stoner and north of Wright Island. I'm guessing it'll be more apartments. It's good infill, and will give more options to younger Airmen at Barksdale looking for apartments.

On the bad side, GM is shuttering the Shreveport plant.

It's been really slow on this forum lately. Hopefully things will pick up, it's the only forum that I know of that has a dedicated Shreveport subforum.

I'm working on another forum at the moment. The administrator has expressed a desire to start a Shreveport subforum because Shreveport-related topics are very, very frequent there, but he hasn't done it yet. He said it wouldn't be too far down the road, though. Of course I can't post the name of that forum here. ;)

Wasn't sure where to post this; or if I should?? Thought this was cool :) A BR home furnishings store will open it's 2nd location in the Youree Drive corridor!

Red Door Interiors opens Shreveport location

Red Door Interiors, a Corporate Boulevard home furnishings store, has opened a second location in Shreveport. Erin DeBosier, who owns Red Door along with her husband, Matt, says the store opened Saturday. "We chose Shreveport because they had the right real estate," DeBosier says. "Plus, they've had a nice boom because of the Haynesville Shale." The DeBosiers looked at locations in Lafayette, Mandeville and Covington, before purchasing a pair of old Regions Bank buildings. The plan is to build a connector between the two spaces, to create one single location with about 16,000 square feet, DeBosier says. "This is a little fun and flexible," she says. "Plus, there's a courtyard where we can put our outdoor furniture." The location on Youree Drive is near where a couple of other Baton Rouge-based businesses are, including Lee Michaels and School Aids. "We're in good Baton Rouge company," DeBosier says. Red Door opened in 2005. The DeBosiers plan to eventually open about a dozen locations across the South. "We're probably going to start looking at Houston shortly," she says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...09/jul/01/1062/

Wasn't sure where to post this; or if I should?? Thought this was cool :) A BR home furnishings store will open it's 2nd location in the Youree Drive corridor!

Red Door Interiors opens Shreveport location

Red Door Interiors, a Corporate Boulevard home furnishings store, has opened a second location in Shreveport. Erin DeBosier, who owns Red Door along with her husband, Matt, says the store opened Saturday. "We chose Shreveport because they had the right real estate," DeBosier says. "Plus, they've had a nice boom because of the Haynesville Shale." The DeBosiers looked at locations in Lafayette, Mandeville and Covington, before purchasing a pair of old Regions Bank buildings. The plan is to build a connector between the two spaces, to create one single location with about 16,000 square feet, DeBosier says. "This is a little fun and flexible," she says. "Plus, there's a courtyard where we can put our outdoor furniture." The location on Youree Drive is near where a couple of other Baton Rouge-based businesses are, including Lee Michaels and School Aids. "We're in good Baton Rouge company," DeBosier says. Red Door opened in 2005. The DeBosiers plan to eventually open about a dozen locations across the South. "We're probably going to start looking at Houston shortly," she says.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...09/jul/01/1062/

Sounds cool. :) Never heard of School Aids, but I certainly didn't know Lee Michaels was based in Baton Rouge. The new store they built on Youree Drive to replace their old St. Vincent Mall store is EXTREMELY nice. Also, just about 1/2 mile down the road from these businesses, is another Baton Rouge-based company, The Rug Gallery. And in between is a Raisin' Cane's and an Albasha, both of which are Baton Rouge-based restaurants. Baton Rouge is really representing in south Shreveport in a big way. Over on Line Avenue, about 1 mile or so from Youree Drive, is another Baton Rouge-based restaurant, Bistro Byronz.

We seem to share businesses between our cities, I guess. I know some Shreveport-based businesses have Baton Rouge locations as well, such as Superior Grill, Monjuni's, Squire's Formal Wear, etc. Not sure how many Shreveport-based businesses have locations in Baton Rouge, but it seems you guys clearly have more businesses based there that have expanded this far out. Hell, Squire's is based in Shreveport-Bossier and only has 3 locations here, as opposed to 5 in the Baton Rouge area!

Sounds cool. :) Never heard of School Aids, but I certainly didn't know Lee Michaels was based in Baton Rouge. The new store they built on Youree Drive to replace their old St. Vincent Mall store is EXTREMELY nice. Also, just about 1/2 mile down the road from these businesses, is another Baton Rouge-based company, The Rug Gallery. And in between is a Raisin' Cane's and an Albasha, both of which are Baton Rouge-based restaurants. Baton Rouge is really representing in south Shreveport in a big way. Over on Line Avenue, about 1 mile or so from Youree Drive, is another Baton Rouge-based restaurant, Bistro Byronz.

We seem to share businesses between our cities, I guess. I know some Shreveport-based businesses have Baton Rouge locations as well, such as Superior Grill, Monjuni's, Squire's Formal Wear, etc. Not sure how many Shreveport-based businesses have locations in Baton Rouge, but it seems you guys clearly have more businesses based there that have expanded this far out. Hell, Squire's is based in Shreveport-Bossier and only has 3 locations here, as opposed to 5 in the Baton Rouge area!

Interesting stuff....SBC.

Superior Grill is one of my favorites here in BR, the St Charles Av location is another when I am in New Orleans.

If you haven't already, check out the Corn and Shrimp soup at Bistro Byronz.

Edited by fla_tiger

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting stuff Brian :thumbsup: I had no idea BOTH cities are representing like that! Shreveport & Baton Rouge seem to make a really good team! Monjuni's made Summer's Top Restaurant list at #2!!! The article says it feels like they have been in mid-city location forever; but it's only been since 2005. I need to go check it out!

• 2 months later...

If only Shreveport hadn't destroyed the Washington and Captain Shreve (Youree) Hotels.....I went to architecture school with a girl who boasted of having the marble from the lobby of the Washington Hotel in her bathrooms.....

I ran across this forum while searching for a photo of the Captain Shreve Hotel. I recently acquired two old steel electric lamp posts that reportedly once stood in front of the hotel. I'm searching for a color photo preferably, that shows their original paint colors, but even a black and white would help verify my info, because they have some unique features that would be identifiable even in black and white. The lamp posts have 5 globes and stand approx. 7' high, and in all the vintage pics I've seen on the web of downtown Shreveport show lots of 5-globe posts but judging by the height references in the photos, are more like 10-12' high. Anybody out there know anything about it?

• 3 weeks later...

I ran across this forum while searching for a photo of the Captain Shreve Hotel. I recently acquired two old steel electric lamp posts that reportedly once stood in front of the hotel. I'm searching for a color photo preferably, that shows their original paint colors, but even a black and white would help verify my info, because they have some unique features that would be identifiable even in black and white. The lamp posts have 5 globes and stand approx. 7' high, and in all the vintage pics I've seen on the web of downtown Shreveport show lots of 5-globe posts but judging by the height references in the photos, are more like 10-12' high. Anybody out there know anything about it?

Hello. You might want to go see Mike Rosebery at the Archives at Noel Memorial Library (4th floor if I recall) on the LSUS campus. If you can't find it there, it's going to be extremely rare.

• 1 month later...

Pharmaceutical maker to expand Shreveport facility

Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, a pharmaceutical company based in India, today announced plans to expand its Shreveport operations. The expansion will create 73 new jobs averaging $37,000 per year plus benefits, retain 161 jobs, and add $16.5 million in capital investment, the governor’s office says, along with an estimated 184 indirect jobs, $7.3 million in new state taxes and $5 million in local taxes over the next 10 years. The state will provide a $2.1 million performance-based incentive grant, and the company plans to use the state’s Quality Jobs Program, industrial tax exemption, and Louisiana FastStart workforce training program. The city of Shreveport and the North Louisiana Economic Partnership provided a local incentive package including waivers for all city permit fees and a 2.75% rebate of local sales taxes. The company’s 300,000-square-foot facility produces Ibuprofen and Silver Sulfadiazine Cream, and the company plans to produce new products at the site after the expansion

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2009/dec/07/1352/