Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

Name calling isn't going to lead to a intelligent conversation. Is that how you act when someone offers a different opinion than yours?

Secondly, you are kidding yourself if you think wealthy people want graffiti on their building or across the street.

Whoa, back up! It's not like I singled out anyone in particular when I said, "So all I'm trying to say is, just because one man may thumb his nose at something like a snobbish prick, another man, possibly younger and more stylish, would die to live somewhere like that." If someone looks down upon the graffiti, that person has the choice not to move in there, and in my own personal opinion is an uppity, snobbish prick; but I guarantee you, wthout a doubt, the Ogilvie building will fill up with tenants fast. Why? Because a lot of people have a sense of style and enjoy living in an urban setting.

But all that aside, you were certainly quick to take offense to what I said, as if I were saying it about you in particular, which I was not. Out of that entire post I wrote, the only comment you had in response was the one where you called me out. If anything, I should take that personally; and the old me would have taken it personally, but antipsychotics can work wonders on the way a person reacts and/or responds. You're certainly not worth me getting myself banned from this forum for the nth time.

From this point forward, if you can't play nice, I won't dignify anything you say to me with a response; every keystroke you make that is intended for me will be for naught.

Are you REALLY comparing my reply to that of his where he called me a prick? That's ridiculous and in no way should be acceptable here.

Secondly, just because it's a downtown development doesn't mean people will want to see graffiti by or on their homes.

As stated in the post I just made, I did not call you a prick. Perhaps you should learn to not take things so personally, especially when they are not directed at you.

Are you REALLY comparing my reply to that of his where he called me a prick? That's ridiculous and in no way should be acceptable here.

Secondly, just because it's a downtown development doesn't mean people will want to see graffiti by or on their homes.

You contradicted yourself in your post.

Plenty of people live in upscale buildings with grafitti nearby. Or on their building.

• 1 month later...

N.J. paper company relocating headquarters to Shreveport

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal says a paper goods manufacturer is moving its corporate headquarters from New Jersey to Shreveport. Jindal's office and Ronpak Inc. announced today that the headquarters move will create 100 jobs beyond the 175 manufacturing positions announced last year for the company's planned construction of a $16.8 million plant in Shreveport. Ronpak is expected to employ 132 people in Shreveport by the end of 2013, following the opening of its new plant and headquarters at the Port of Caddo-Bossier. Jindal's office says the company plans to employ 275 people in Shreveport by 2018. The state will give Ronpak $2.25 million to offset equipment costs and $900,000 for leasing or financing costs for the headquarters. Ronpak is currently based in South Plainfield, N.J

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM&date=20120507

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that, Richy.I was quite surprised to read that story the other day. I'm familiar with Ronpak because they opened a location at the Port some time ago, but I never imagined they would move their headquarters here from New Jersey. We need more things like this in Shreveport and in Louisiana in general.

Also, I don't know if you've been following it, but the LSUS-La Tech merger is moving forward through the state legislature. I want to see this happen. LSU is a great university, but they have all but given up on their Shreveport campus, so this merger would reinforce and add to the existing 4-year college education offerings in Shreveport-Bossier. It has always annoyed me that towns the size of Ruston, Monroe, and even Texarkana have full four-year universities, but Shreveport-Bossier doesn't.

Thanks for posting that, Richy.I was quite surprised to read that story the other day. I'm familiar with Ronpak because they opened a location at the Port some time ago, but I never imagined they would move their headquarters here from New Jersey. We need more things like this in Shreveport and in Louisiana in general.

Also, I don't know if you've been following it, but the LSUS-La Tech merger is moving forward through the state legislature. I want to see this happen. LSU is a great university, but they have all but given up on their Shreveport campus, so this merger would reinforce and add to the existing 4-year college education offerings in Shreveport-Bossier. It has always annoyed me that towns the size of Ruston, Monroe, and even Texarkana have full four-year universities, but Shreveport-Bossier doesn't.

Would be quite fine if Shreveport could absorb some business from Dallas. Even LSU lags behind many other state universities in certain categories. Would LSUS become La-Tech Shreveport?

Would be quite fine if Shreveport could absorb some business from Dallas. Even LSU lags behind many other state universities in certain categories. Would LSUS become La-Tech Shreveport?

No one has said anything for sure about what would happen to LSUS as it is, whether or not the name would change, etc. There are still a lot of questions left to be answered, but I think in the end this will be a good thing. I've been a proponent of the project ever since it was first mentioned. I do know someone mentioned that it might enter the UL system, so ULS or ULSB perhaps? But at this point, who knows...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To my surprise, I saw that they're building a Carl's Jr. on North Market, out of all places. This will the state's first (perhaps)...

Holy crap!! I LOVE Carl's Jr!!!! I usually stop and eat at them while traveling.

Edit: I just mentioned it to my wife and she was like, "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you I saw that!" How the hell does she forget to tell me something so great? I can't wait. That stretch of North Market is slowly changing for the better. That Brookshire's on North Market is about to get a very nice remodel job and lots of stuff has been built in that area of North Market too.

Edited by SBCmetroguy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dunkin Donuts coming..?

http://www.shrevepor...2.htm#TopOfPage

Actually I was surprised when I clicked on the link. I can't really say anything because of the way the information came to me, but all I can say was I already knew Dunkin was coming and that's a completely different location from what I already knew. I was aware that they had plans to build a few locations in our area over the next few years, so it looks like I now know where two of them will be going. And wouldn't you know it, neither of them is anywhere near my house.

Update on SRAC's Central ArtStation...

http://www.shrevepor...tral-ArtStation

Taking another crack at the Red River District...?

http://www.shrevepor...dyssey=obinsite

I was glad to see this article on the Central Art Station yesterday because I was wondering where they were with this project. I also wonder where funding stands with the rest of the Shreveport Common and Common Link projects.

• 4 weeks later...

I see they're proposing a Walgreen's to go on the corner where Luby's used to be at the East Bert Kouns/Millicent intersection near Tinseltown Theater. Heck I might have to switch pharmacies if they get this approved. Most of my medical care is done just down the block at WK Pierremont and the Medical Arts building.

http://www.shreveportla.gov/ZBA/BAC-68-12.htm#TopOfPage

• 2 weeks later...

The Times today ran an article mentioning a few new businesses to the area. Some of which we knew about, some we didn't. They mentioned the return of Dunkin Donuts, which is starting out with 2 locations and eventually will have 5 locations in the area. They also mentioned the Santa Fe Cattle Company restaurant chain, based in Baton Rouge, a new Mexican restaurant based out of Jackson, MS, to go into the old On the Border on Youree, and then another Five Guys on Youree with Louisiana's first Freebirds (hell yeah!) located next to it.

Thanks for posting that, Richy.

Here is an article posted today about Bossier's rapid growth to both the north and south causing changes to the city's council districts.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20121001/NEWS01/210020313/Growth-north-south-spurs-changes-Bossier-City-Council-districts?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

• 3 weeks later...

Man we've got to get this forum going again. There is SO MUCH going on in our area these days. The economy around here has rebounded thanks to the nation's most productive natural gas development being right under our feet (and I'm thankful to have worked in that industry for nearly 3 years now), we have Movie Maker Magazine ranking us #3 in the nation behind Los Angeles and New York, we have freaking Margaritaville under construction on our riverfront, lots of new restaurants are starting to once again show an interest in our market, home sales and new construction is on the rebound, new apartment complexes are under construction and being planned... we have a lot going for us. This forum should represent that energy! Look how proud our neighbors down in Baton Rouge are of their forum - it's a pretty active place still after all these years, and ours has come almost to a halt. I know I'm partly to blame because I used to post like a mad-man and these days I spend my extra time either on Facebook or playing World of Warcraft (hey, don't judge me! :))

But I want this forum to once again be active and I hope my fellow Shreveport-Bossier peeps do as well. And let's welcome outsiders to our area who want to come here and ask questions. I've always been knowledgeable about Shreveport-Bossier and I will always do my best to answer any question I can. And when someone posts a question I don't have an answer to, and can't find an answer to, instead of ignoring the question like I've done in the past, I will at least respond with a simple "I have no idea" or "I'll see what I can find out". Because while my wife no longer is my inside source on new developments, as she also now works in the oil & gas field with me, we have a lot of contacts who might know.

And if something is totally "hush-hush", I might be told about it but then be asked not to say anything, in which case I will be honest and say that I simply can't say anything. Such as a conversation I recently had with the manager of the Boardwalk, Ray Tromba, about a potential high-profile tenant that I knew would be perfect for the development. He told me straight up that they had been in talks with that tenant but said tenant was asking for the moon and stars, and when he told me of their demands I couldn't blame him for turning down their offer - I would have as well. But he asked me not to mention the development and I promised him I wouldn't.

So come on guys, let's get this place going again! Nate was nice enough back in the day to champion our cause to get this subforum created for us; we can't let it just die!

• Like 1

I'm with you. I'd like all of these forums to get up and be active! There's plenty going on in all of our cities but it's not very well represented. New Orleans has the most action as far as development but is actually the least busy forum, as well as, Lafayette (which doesn't have it's own forum-yet).

There's an article on The Times website this morning that mentions a new dock being built which will double the port's shipping capacity. This comes on the heels of the story above by Metlife. I'd link the story but since I'm not a subscriber I can't open the story.

Also, Bossier City and Bossier Parish are going to vote tomorrow on whether or not to put a moratorium on exterior building materials until they can decide for sure on a uniform agreement regarding building standards. Bossier has gotten fed up with businesses coming in and constructing cheap metal buildings and giving them nice stucco or brick facades. Facede or no facade, a turd is still a turd! I'm right there with them. With Bossier's rapid growth over the past 20 years for a city of its size, it is definitely in a position to be upholding such strict standards. These businesses are choosing Bossier over Shreveport for a reason, and I guarantee most would rather pay the extra money to do it right than to build in Shreveport. Bossier isn't trying to be hard-asses about it, they're just trying to show the world that they can build a world-class city.

And on one more note, I visited the Margaritaville site the other day. It's very close to topping out now... they either have 1 or 2 more floors to go and they'll be at 18 (topped out). This is either the 4th, 5th or 6th tallest building in SBC. I'd have to research that. Back in the day I knew the heights of all the buildings around here. Horseshoe is 26 floors, Regions is 25 floors, Sam's Town is 22 floors, but I think there might be one or two more buildings downtown that are 20 stories or higher. This is the third tallest hotel, though. You have: Horseshoe (26 floors), Sam's Town (22 floors), Margaritaville (18 floors), ElDorado (17 floors), Diamond Jack's (12 floors), Downtown Hilton (12 floors), and then Boomtown (6 floors). Then you have the three new hotels built in front of Harrah's Louisiana Downs racetrack, all of which are 3 floors.

8157521803_1b9b271495_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wants to take a shot at guessing on what they're building on the corner of Youree and 70th by Panda Express? ... and not the building that's going up near Velocity Care...

I've been wondering myself. At one time that was planned to be the site of PF Chang's, but who knows. I drive by there frequently hoping to see a sign.

• 2 weeks later...