Digital Cameras

swags

Hey folks,

I will soon be purchasing a digital camera for the first time, and I was looking for some advice from you guys, because a lot of you seem to have experiences with these cameras. I'm looking for a small, compact camera that I can put in my pocket and carry around everywhere. I also want it do be decent enough so that my pictures come out nice and clear. I will be using it for multiple uses, like taking pictures of buidlings, landscapes people... so it needs to be versatile. Some of the specs I've been looking through I get really lost in, so I need advice.

I've been looking at the Canon SD300 and the Konica-Minolta D'Image 3500 for comparison purposes. They both seem like very good cameras to me.. and the size is what I'm looking for.

So if you could help me out in any way-- what you've got, what works best, what do you find you want in your digital camera-- anything would really help.

Thank you.

p.s. Here are links to those two cameras...

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/k...ges/DiMAGE_E500

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products...=23&gid=2&ovr=1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on how much you want to spend, and what you want to do with the photos you take. I'm upgrading soon, so I'm thinking of paying a little more and going to 7.0+ Megapixels. I would like to be able to blow my pictures up to larger poster sizes, so the extra megapixels won't hurt. I found these two to be rated pretty good, and butterflyphoto.com pretty reasonably priced:

Sony Cybershot DSC-W7

Canon Powershot SD500

I don't think you can go wrong with Canon.

If you don't have a subscription to Consumer Reports, Circuit City has a customer review feature on their website that rates cameras based on photo quality, features, battery life, and cost benefit, which I found helpful. So many things to consider :P

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-13...categorylist.do

i have the sony cybershot dsc-t1. it's a really tiny camera but it's a 5 megapixel. the pictures it takes are awesome, but you have to have decent lighting conditions. the flash is weak and the zoom is only a 3x optical, but other than that, i love it. i can keep it in my pocket and take it wherever i go. it also does video suprisingly well. here's a link link

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Canon SD100 Powershot (Elf-3.2mp) and it serves me very well. I had a advance films Elf before that, and it too was a superb camera. So from my experiace the Canon SD/Elf series would offer a good quality camera in the form you are looking for.

I'm wanting a Canon Digital Rebel. But all I've got is a Canon Powershot A75. Canon might be a little more than others but they really do make great cameras. I've gotten some really nice comments from pics I've posted on the Arkansas forum and elsewhere all taken from my Powershot A75 and I don't think of it as a great camera considering what's on the market.

I'm going to be buying a Digital Camera for the first time in the next few weeks. I'm looking at the Canon PowerShot S1 IS and the Kodak Easyshare Z740.

I still can't decide which one looks more appealing to me. I also had no idea how hard it was going to be to choose one single camera! :lol:

I have a sony cybershot. 4.1 mega pixels, its about 1.5 yrs old. I like the fact that it takes two AA batteries instead of a charger, I like its small size, and I like the memory stick that I can remove and stick directly into my laptop. And it takes great pictures for what I need. But I use it just for "recreational" purposes; I'm just a hack, not a profesional photographer or anything. :P

I'm totally biased to Canons! I own -- among other older canons :) -- a powershot digital elph SD450. It's very convenient if you want something small to carry around in your pocket :) images are nice and clear, and it's really easy to use. I want to upgrade maybe to a Canon SD300 but I think I should learn first how to take better, cooler photos! :) so far mine feel rather primitive. to learn more about camera specs and ratings, I've often looked at the website: http://www.dpreview.com (my wishful dream is to run into a professional photographer serendipitously and become apprenticed lol :P seriously though if you know someone who's good, stick with them, learn from their tips and techniques.

Saw a guy outside the LA Central Library earlier this week with a Canon EOS-1 digital rebel hanging around his neck. it was a big camera, looked kinda heavy, but it must be pretty powerful stuff. what a jewel! made me jealous ;)

have fun exploring and experimenting!

Saw a guy outside the LA Central Library earlier this week with a Canon EOS-1 digital rebel hanging around his neck. it was a big camera, looked kinda heavy, but it must be pretty powerful stuff. what a jewel! made me jealous ;)

I went into a camera store today to look at the Canon S2 IS, and found the EOS-1 on sale for an easy $7,499. :P

I went into a camera store today to look at the Canon S2 IS, and found the EOS-1 on sale for an easy $7,499. :P

holy baaaaaajeeeeeeeeezus :P i didn't know it cost *that* much. I asked the guy when I was looking at his camera, how much does it cost? is it more than $900? he seemed a bit nervous and said in a very quiet voice, well yeah it's over a thousand. (my what an understatement...)

Archived