Which tower would you live in given the chance

urbanvb

Poll: Which tower would you live in  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather live in Granby Tower or The Westin?

• Granby Tower
    • Westin Inn
    • Not sure

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definately have to say Granby. Who wants to deal with them $amn tourists or business people in the hotel at the bottom. Granby tower would definately get a high mark for the row houses that are being built around the garage, it is just an all around beautiful development.

As usual, it's me and guynvb coming in with the Va. Beach support for the Westin. :rofl: In all honesty, I really do like Granby better, but I also like the fact that the Westin is the start of what I hope becomes a booming business center one day. I chose the Westin just because I'd like to be at the center of it all when it happens. :)

Although I work in VB, I voted for the Granby, especially if I have a south or west view (higher up). The 264 reverse commute is still doable from that location, the building is beautiful and there's lots to walk to. But living in the Westin would be fun and I do like the Barnes and Noble and Planet records nearby, but I prefer the locally owned restaurants downtown to the chains at TC.

but I prefer the locally owned restaurants downtown to the chains at TC.

Locally owned resturants are definately a plus. For some reason the food is always better to me in a little mom and pop resturant than in a big chain. Maybe TC will make room for something like that in the future.

The Granby hands down. As much as i like Town Center, I wouldn't want to live there. Granby Tower has better floor plans, better architecture, better views, and better overall location. There are plenty of places to eat. There are all the cultural aminities in DT Norfolk: theater, opera, museums.

Since we are already committed to Granby Tower, its rather obvious where my vote went. We lived at Columbus Station 18 years ago and I still visualize the Town Center site as a bunch of woods full of homeless people.

Maybe I was oblivious but I lived in those apartments for 3 years about 6 years ago but never felt like homeless people were all around me.

The Westin without a doubt. I disagree with everyone who doesnt like its design. The only problem is the parking garage on the bottom, other than that, i think it is perfectly comprable to the granby tower. Va Beach is also just getting started, and with the correct planning(which divaras and armada hoffler are doing), it is going to be as comprable and as urban as norfolk and have a much newer and upscale feel to it. Five to ten years from now, these two cities will be in a heated competition as the two urban cores of hampton roads.

Norfolk will always be the urban core.

To say it will always be the urban core is a bold statement considering norfolk has been around since the 1600s and vabeach began roughly 50 years ago and is way ahead when it comes to population and has just started its major projects now. Dont forget that Trader was going to build their headquarters in va beach if it wasnt for the traffic(which rightfully so va beach does need to address at some point). Other than that, norfolk really hasnt done anything in the business sector and is following the lead of the beach by bringing residential units to the area.

Anyway, my reason for picking the westin goes along with the fact that the town center area is more upscale than downtown norfolk and in my opinion has much more potential for growth. I am not trying to down downtown norfolk or the granby tower in anyway and i infact love both of them, but i think there is much more to come in va beach than there will be in norfolk in the years to come.

Well saying that the employees picked DT Norfolk says it all and the HQs has always been in DT Norfolk. That was some BS crap to get the city of Vabeach off their backs. They employess stated what they wanted and the company went with it. I don't see TC more upscale than DT. That is bold statement considering there is more going on in Norfolk. Also you stated that there is more people in Vabeach. Vabeach has about 3 times the land yet they don't have 3X the population. Norfolk has way more history in it as well. Besides don't most burbs have more people??? I think you will retract the upscale part as soon as you see some of these projects completed. The TC is a nice development.

To say it will always be the urban core is a bold statement considering norfolk has been around since the 1600s and vabeach began roughly 50 years ago and is way ahead when it comes to population and has just started its major projects now. Dont forget that Trader was going to build their headquarters in va beach if it wasnt for the traffic(which rightfully so va beach does need to address at some point). Other than that, norfolk really hasnt done anything in the business sector and is following the lead of the beach by bringing residential units to the area.

Anyway, my reason for picking the westin goes along with the fact that the town center area is more upscale than downtown norfolk and in my opinion has much more potential for growth. I am not trying to down downtown norfolk or the granby tower in anyway and i infact love both of them, but i think there is much more to come in va beach than there will be in norfolk in the years to come.

Also doesn't Norfolk have a Fortune 500 company located DT? How many does Vabeach have?

Most of us realize Norfolk is more urban than Va Beach (by a long shot actually) but TC is new and developing. I wish we could stay away from the city bashing. It's ok to compare and note the differences between the two cities but bashing is not the way to compare objectively.

Most of us realize Norfolk is more urban than Va Beach (by a long shot actually) but TC is new and developing. I wish we could stay away from the city bashing. It's ok to compare and note the differences between the two cities but bashing is not the way to compare objectively.

I don't think that we were city bashing in any way

Hmm...Maybe it's the weather. People seem a bit testy this week. Definately not the usual for this forum. I fear that some of this city vs. city stuff is getting out of hand and I really hope that I don't return from my vacation to find that people have just torn this place asunder. I will reiterate (sp?), there are ways to address the positives of one city without dwelling on the negatives, or perceived negatives of another. Norfolk and Va. Beach compliment eachother and if we play our cards right people will start seeing us more as a major metro than a bunch of bickering municipalities.

First of all, norfolk southern is a railing company so the blue collar jobs they bring to the area is very very minimal for a usual fortune five hundred company, so i dont think the presence of norfolk southern is a real big swing in either direction. And yes, Norfolk is the "banking center" of the area right now, but its not as if they are making new headquarters for these banking companies, they are just simply filling in space. At the time of these company relocations, if virginia beach could have offered space, things may be different, but at the time virginia beach didnt have anything. My arguement still rests on potential and i feel va beach has more potential.

And on russ's note on class, i hope that norfolk's projects will make the area much more classy as i expect it will. But the towncenter area is being built to be an upscale urban environment, which for now gives it a more classy feel.

Archived