Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

I'm sure most of you know by now, but I just heard on the news last night that 8 Starbucks in Arkansas will close including 3 in NWA. They announced that 2 stores in Rogers and 1 store in Lowell will close. Missouri also had it's share will 15 being closed, but none in Springfield as odd as it sounds. The only reason I think the company would want to sell the Rogers stores is because they are brand spanking new, so it would be much easier to sell those stores as opposed to selling and old store. They would also make alot more money off of it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure most of you know by now, but I just heard on the news last night that 8 Starbucks in Arkansas will close including 3 in NWA. They announced that 2 stores in Rogers and 1 store in Lowell will close. Missouri also had it's share will 15 being closed, but none in Springfield as odd as it sounds. The only reason I think the company would want to sell the Rogers stores is because they are brand spanking new, so it would be much easier to sell those stores as opposed to selling and old store. They would also make a lot more money off of it.

Makes sense. Starbucks does seem to be focusing on closing more of their newer locations. Although maybe it also has something to do with them trying to put out and open too many stores the past couple of years. Until I looked recently I hadn't realized there were that many locations in Benton County. Looks like I'm seeing at least two more locations just in Rogers alone. Looks like at least one in Bentonville. Those might be the locations left for Benton County. The only one I can find in Washington County is the one at Nelsons Crossing in Fayetteville. You'd think that one would be safe.

I'm sure most of you know by now, but I just heard on the news last night that 8 Starbucks in Arkansas will close including 3 in NWA. They announced that 2 stores in Rogers and 1 store in Lowell will close. Missouri also had it's share will 15 being closed, but none in Springfield as odd as it sounds. The only reason I think the company would want to sell the Rogers stores is because they are brand spanking new, so it would be much easier to sell those stores as opposed to selling and old store. They would also make alot more money off of it.

Good riddence to them, This country doesn't need overprice coffee. Can't believe people are willing to pay that much for a coffee drink.

Good riddence to them, This country doesn't need overprice coffee. Can't believe people are willing to pay that much for a coffee drink.

I think it was the idea that it was cool to go to Starbucks- the hip thing to do more than how good the coffee is. The coffee is good but not at that price good. When they expanded into so much of the country it diluted the cool factor- made it less exclusive.

My biggest thing was that I think there's already good local coffeeshops in the area. I was just surprised to see some people go crazy when we first started getting Starbucks in the metro. Like there wasn't any single good place to get coffee before then. Makes me believe a lot of it is image. I also wonder if any of the 'coffee fanatics' even tried the local coffeeshops.

My biggest thing was that I think there's already good local coffeeshops in the area. I was just surprised to see some people go crazy when we first started getting Starbucks in the metro. Like there wasn't any single good place to get coffee before then. Makes me believe a lot of it is image. I also wonder if any of the 'coffee fanatics' even tried the local coffeeshops.

The local coffee shops are hit and miss, at least with Charbucks you know what you are getting, it sucks but it is reliable :) You know how there are Red Lobster's all up and down the Atlantic coast and they are always packed when there are so many local choices that are so much better, same idea...

Personally, I roast my own beans, grind them, and make my own espresso and espresso-milk drinks...cheaper, very reliable, and very tasty.

The local coffee shops are hit and miss, at least with Charbucks you know what you are getting, it sucks but it is reliable :) You know how there are Red Lobster's all up and down the Atlantic coast and they are always packed when there are so many local choices that are so much better, same idea...

Personally, I roast my own beans, grind them, and make my own espresso and espresso-milk drinks...cheaper, very reliable, and very tasty.

True, but it seems like a number of people don't even bother seeing if the local coffeeshops are what they're looking for. And I certainly agree on making your own, that's what I do as well. Although I had my nice coffee grinder break down on me not too long ago.

True, but it seems like a number of people don't even bother seeing if the local coffeeshops are what they're looking for. And I certainly agree on making your own, that's what I do as well. Although I had my nice coffee grinder break down on me not too long ago.

What happened to it and which grinder is it? I've built up a pretty good supply of knowledge about them over the years =)

What happened to it and which grinder is it? I've built up a pretty good supply of knowledge about them over the years =)

It was a Bodum burr grinder. It just eventually burned out. I've heard that's it's not too uncommon for burr grinders depending on how much you use them. It probably didn't help that I tended to use a rather fine grain rather than course grind.

It was a Bodum burr grinder. It just eventually burned out. I've heard that's it's not too uncommon for burr grinders depending on how much you use them. It probably didn't help that I tended to use a rather fine grain rather than course grind.

Yea, the thing is that grinding coffee, especially on the more fine end of things, is hard on a motor and the burrs. That's why there are so few machines between cheap and expensive. If you know you will be "into coffee" forever then it is worth it to really splurge and get a professional or semi-pro model, otherwise it isn't and they don't last too long. There is a common saying in the home espresso world that if you didn't spend as much on your grinder as you did on your espresso machine then you aren't getting your money's worth and I've found that to be true, without a doubt. Two years ago I upgraded my grinder to from a Rancilio Silva (not a bad grinder, nor my first) to a Macap M4 and my coffee really does taste a lot better, not just as judged by me but by others that aren't as into coffee as I am.

Oh, well, back to the topic at hand :)

Yea, the thing is that grinding coffee, especially on the more fine end of things, is hard on a motor and the burrs. That's why there are so few machines between cheap and expensive. If you know you will be "into coffee" forever then it is worth it to really splurge and get a professional or semi-pro model, otherwise it isn't and they don't last too long. There is a common saying in the home espresso world that if you didn't spend as much on your grinder as you did on your espresso machine then you aren't getting your money's worth and I've found that to be true, without a doubt. Two years ago I upgraded my grinder to from a Rancilio Silva (not a bad grinder, nor my first) to a Macap M4 and my coffee really does taste a lot better, not just as judged by me but by others that aren't as into coffee as I am.

Oh, well, back to the topic at hand :)

Yeah I've heard of those brands. Those are probably a bit much for me. Especially since in the last few years I've started drinking more tea. I still enjoy some coffee but don't drink it as much as I used to. But yeah, with equipment like that you're just as good brewing your own at home. :D

Yeah I've heard of those brands. Those are probably a bit much for me. Especially since in the last few years I've started drinking more tea. I still enjoy some coffee but don't drink it as much as I used to. But yeah, with equipment like that you're just as good brewing your own at home. :D

Switched to tea, huh? With coffee the expense is in the hardware with the coffee actually being fairly cheap. Tea can get REALLY expensive in a hurry, but the equipment is super cheap. Almost opposite hobbies as far as expenses go. I will say a good cup of tea is awfully tasty.

Switched to tea, huh? With coffee the expense is in the hardware with the coffee actually being fairly cheap. Tea can get REALLY expensive in a hurry, but the equipment is super cheap. Almost opposite hobbies as far as expenses go. I will say a good cup of tea is awfully tasty.

I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. :D

• 2 weeks later...

While this is not exactly a restaurant, it does kind of fit into this category. A new wine bar will be opening in the Metro District building in Fayetteville. It is located just off of Dickson on West Ave. Wine lovers will be able to taste up to 24 different wines at a time or have a glass if they like what they taste.

Here is a little more info from the NWA Business Journal: Wine Bar

While this is not exactly a restaurant, it does kind of fit into this category. A new wine bar will be opening in the Metro District building in Fayetteville. It is located just off of Dickson on West Ave. Wine lovers will be able to taste up to 24 different wines at a time or have a glass if they like what they taste.

Here is a little more info from the NWA Business Journal: Wine Bar

Very cool to hear. Especially someone like me who is big on wine. I wonder what space it is taking at the Metro District Bldg.

• 2 weeks later...

By the Home Depot in Rogers, I know the Steak and Shake is going up across from the Olive Garden, but a foundation is being worked on the lot before you get to the Olive Garden. Could this be the much anticipated Red Lobster?

There's a sign in front of it that says Einstein Brothers...I think the Red Lobster is going in on that slab behind Olive Garden.

There's a sign in front of it that says Einstein Brothers...I think the Red Lobster is going in on that slab behind Olive Garden.

Yeah I heard about Einstein Brothers Bagels coming into the area a little while back. At the time I hadn't heard any specific cities or locations mentioned. Just that there would probably be several locations sometime in the near future.

Yeah I heard about Einstein Brothers Bagels coming into the area a little while back. At the time I hadn't heard any specific cities or locations mentioned. Just that there would probably be several locations sometime in the near future.

While looking at the Bentonville planning commission agenda a few weeks back I noticed that they proposed putting one in downtown Bentonville. On Hwy 102 between Main & "A" streets. Not too far from Panerra Bread Co.

I'm pretty sure it was approved & it will probably be a couple months before construction begins.

Granite City, a Modern American upscale casual restaurant chain yesterday announced the closing of its Rogers, Arkansas location. The company has not previously closed a restaurant. The company expects the closing of the location will improve its restaurant-level EBITDA, cash flow, income and management focus. Since opening in October 2007, the restaurant has failed to generate positive cash flow and had approximately $1.3 million of net loss at this location since its opening. Many problems have plagued the location since the opening, including a significant delay in construction of a main road from the highway directly to the restaurant location and lower overall traffic from guests now plagued by high gas prices.

"We are disappointed to be closing the Rogers location, but we feel it is the right decision as we work toward improving margins and cash flow," commented Steve Wagenheim, Granite City's CEO and President. "Granite City typically is able to open strong and grow its business through word of mouth about our food and service. With the main artery to our Rogers location closed we were never able to gain traction in the market. We were faced with having to spend a considerable amount of money to remarket the restaurant but felt that it was more prudent to focus our capital and personnel resources on those restaurants that drive our core concept. We are grateful to the customers and personnel in the Arkansas region who welcomed our concept and hope that we can one day move back into the market."

The company is working with real estate professionals to find a replacement tenant for the location. At present, the company is obligated to pay approximately $400,000 in annual lease and interest costs related to the Rogers location.

Granite City, a Modern American upscale casual restaurant chain yesterday announced the closing of its Rogers, Arkansas location. The company has not previously closed a restaurant. The company expects the closing of the location will improve its restaurant-level EBITDA, cash flow, income and management focus. Since opening in October 2007, the restaurant has failed to generate positive cash flow and had approximately $1.3 million of net loss at this location since its opening. Many problems have plagued the location since the opening, including a significant delay in construction of a main road from the highway directly to the restaurant location and lower overall traffic from guests now plagued by high gas prices.

"We are disappointed to be closing the Rogers location, but we feel it is the right decision as we work toward improving margins and cash flow," commented Steve Wagenheim, Granite City's CEO and President. "Granite City typically is able to open strong and grow its business through word of mouth about our food and service. With the main artery to our Rogers location closed we were never able to gain traction in the market. We were faced with having to spend a considerable amount of money to remarket the restaurant but felt that it was more prudent to focus our capital and personnel resources on those restaurants that drive our core concept. We are grateful to the customers and personnel in the Arkansas region who welcomed our concept and hope that we can one day move back into the market."

The company is working with real estate professionals to find a replacement tenant for the location. At present, the company is obligated to pay approximately $400,000 in annual lease and interest costs related to the Rogers location.

That's disappointing. I admit I never tried them but had heard good things about it. It was also one of those places that didn't have a presence anywhere else in Arkansas but NWA.

I walked in once and was not overly impressed, but that was just me. Wish they would turn it into a Marie Callender's.

On a more casual front:

As a former Chicagoan, I'm very, very happy to have Rosati's Pixxa here. Had the Pizza more than once and it is by far the best pizza I have had since up north. I really think people should try it or their Italian beef, if you like those. I've had the thin crust Italian sausage pizza. This tastes like real pizza, not that Papa's or Domino's stuff. A little pricier because they deal directly with Chicago, but it's worth it. They do pizzas of different types. Number is 464-4646 and no, I have nothing to do with them but eating too much of their pizza now. :)

Also --- Steak & Shake and Golden Corral are now open for those who like those place.

I walked in once and was not overly impressed, but that was just me. Wish they would turn it into a Marie Callender's.

On a more casual front:

As a former Chicagoan, I'm very, very happy to have Rosati's Pizza here. Had the Pizza more than once and it is by far the best pizza I have had since up north. I really think people should try it or their Italian beef, if you like those. I've had the thin crust Italian sausage pizza. This tastes like real pizza, not that Papa's or Domino's stuff. A little pricier because they deal directly with Chicago, but it's worth it. They do pizzas of different types. Number is 464-4646 and no, I have nothing to do with them but eating too much of their pizza now. :)

Also --- Steak & Shake and Golden Corral are now open for those who like those place.

Don't think I've heard about Rosati's. But I've liked the small amount of Chicago style pizza I've had, so I'm going to have to check it out one of these days when I'm up in Benton County. Doesn't look like they have a lot of locations, interesting that we have one in our metro. Here's their website in case anyone is curious.

http://www.rosatispizza.com/

Archived