Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

I would hate to see Alligator Ray's Close.

Hopefully, they won't go out of business for this.

I've wondered whether this is a question of how business is doing or maybe someone just trying to stand up to the city on an issue that's obviously not popular to some.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wondered whether this is a question of how business is doing or maybe someone just trying to stand up to the city on an issue that's obviously not popular to some.

Honestly I don't know of any businesses the smoking ban has hurt. Obviously the businesses in town are doing ok, or all the new establishments wouldn't be coming to Fayetteville. I do NOT smoke and I hate it, especially when I am eating and I personally love the ban. I am more willing to go out because of this as opposed to not going out. I go to Alligator rays quite often especially on Saturdays for cheap liquor but they also have good cheese dip, and i hope they don't close and I doubt they do cause everytime i am there they are busy. I hope the state of Arkansas votes to become a smoke free state, mainly because it affects so many people. If people can not go to dinner for a hour without smoking seriously they should consider getting help.

If people can not go to dinner for a hour without smoking seriously they should consider getting help.
I agree with you and I'm a smoker. I don't smoke inside my home and I don't sit in the smoking section when I go out to eat. There was one restaurant that I took my wife and son to when my son was only a few months old and the only table was in the smoking section. Well I was not happy that my son had to breathe second hand smoke and smell like cigarettes just so we could eat.

But smokers are not your enemy. We are victims of a corrupt Food & Drug Administration that says it's ok to sell and use tobacco products even though they are well aware of the hazards to public health. Nicotine is addictive and a harder habit to break than Heroin addiction. No other product legally sold and used as directed is hazardous to everyone in the vicinity of the user.

So next time you see someone smoking in a public place where smoking is allowed, instead of cussing the smoker, think about who the real enemy is. :blink:

I agree with you and I'm a smoker. I don't smoke inside my home and I don't sit in the smoking section when I go out to eat. There was one restaurant that I took my wife and son to when my son was only a few months old and the only table was in the smoking section. Well I was not happy that my son had to breathe second hand smoke and smell like cigarettes just so we could eat.

But smokers are not your enemy. We are victims of a corrupt Food & Drug Administration that says it's ok to sell and use tobacco products even though they are well aware of the hazards to public health. Nicotine is addictive and a harder habit to break than Heroin addiction. No other product legally sold and used as directed is hazardous to everyone in the vicinity of the user.

So next time you see someone smoking in a public place where smoking is allowed, instead of cussing the smoker, think about who the real enemy is. :blink:

I'm not cussing smokers and if people want to smoke more power to them, i just don't want to breath it in and I don't want to smell it. My grandfather and two of my uncles died of smoking so its just something I really hate, but I will have to disagree you on the part that is the FDA's fault. No, I don't think it should be sold, but it is, and because of that you have a choice to smoke. There are ways to quit and I personally know many people who have quit both cold turkey and by using products to help them quit, but to say your victims because of the "corrupt FDA" is not justified because you know of the risk and its something you choose to do.

This brings up a good question here in Benton County.

Will there ever be smoking bans on restaurants in Rogers or Bentonville?

There will be smoking bans in both Rogers and B-ville in the future, there is talk about the entire state having a smoking ban, which is great. Personally one of the best parts of the smoking ban is that you can go bowling and not smell like smoke afterward.

There will be smoking bans in both Rogers and B-ville in the future, there is talk about the entire state having a smoking ban, which is great. Personally one of the best parts of the smoking ban is that you can go bowling and not smell like smoke afterward.

It could have a negative effect on our local economy though. I guess I'm split on this issue.

It could have a negative effect on our local economy though. I guess I'm split on this issue.

I'm not sure if it would really hurt the local economy. Fayetteville is doing just fine. I could see an arguement about it hurting a few particular locations. Of course if Huckabee can get it passed on a statewide basis then I guess it won't matter as much.

It really doesn't matter who's to blame for allowing a stinky, highly addictive, cancer causing product to be used. Are cigarettes really safer than marijuana?

The main issue is about rights.

• Smokers have a right to smoke as long as by exercising their rights they don't infringe on someone else's rights... which is impossible in public places.
  • Non-smokers have a right to not be exposed to cigarette smoke in any way, shape or form in every public place.

In other words smoking should be banned whether it could hurt the economy or not.

Sounds like this whole situation with Alligator Ray's is more complicated than I thought. Apparently a while back ago they decided they wanted to go more the route of being a 'bar'. They even removed some food items off the menu. I haven't been so I can't give any personal opinion on whether I think it feels more like a bar or a restaurant.

It appears that Hoffbrau Steaks in Fayetteville is oficially closed. The traffic situation hasn't helped but I don't know if you can blame it all on that.

Owners Close Hoffbrau Steaks

By Bill Bowden

Northwest Arkansas Business Journal - 1/30/06

Hoffbrau Steaks, a downtown Fayetteville landmark for 22 years, closed on Jan. 6.

I had wondered about it. I was walking around the other night taking pics. I walked down Center St and noticed it was closed. I wasn't sure if it was permanantly or because of that big hole they dug right next to the entrance. It really was bad timing for them. They closed for 5 months to renovate it just to open in time for the demolition/construction for the Mountain Inn/Renaissance Tower. What's also sad is that I think that will be a pretty hot area after the Renaissance Tower is completed. But it's certainly not helping any businesses there at the moment. Hopefully a Taste of Thai and Petra will be able to hold on till all the construction is completed.

New Pictures - Finally Posted !

Boi De Ouro - Brazillian Steakhouse- Located in Fayetteville

PICT0154.jpg

New Noodles Restaurant located on Mall Avenue in Fayetteville

PICT0149.jpg

Another view of Noodles which includes their patio

PICT0150.jpg

McAllister's and Buffalo Wild Wings off of Joyce Boulevard in Fayetteville

PICT0142.jpg

Eastern view from McAllisters - to the right is Joyce Boulevard - you can see the west side of Taco Bueno and in the distance you can see the Lindsey Main Building in construction

PICT0147.jpg

Pic of Taco Bueno taken from the south side shooting north.

PICT0148.jpg

Will post some more pics soon !

Just east of Buffalo Wild Wings the new Shogun will be. This will be as far west as possible from Bueno. It will border Mall Aven

PICT0145.jpg

I've heard about Shogun moving over to that general area but it seems like that's been on hold for quite a while now. Seems like I first starting hearing about that a year and a half ago. I wonder what's taking so long. I think Shogun would seem a lot nicer if they had their own building instead of being in the shopping center they're currently in.

It appears that Hoffbrau Steaks in Fayetteville is oficially closed.
This is a great example of just how delicate Northwest Arkansas is when local landmarks dissappear forever due to the area's growth. Makes one wonder then how these establishments survived before the growth... maybe because there wasn't any competition.

This is a great example of just how delicate Northwest Arkansas is when local landmarks dissappear forever due to the area's growth. Makes one wonder then how these establishments survived before the growth... maybe because there wasn't any competition.

Yeah that is part of it. There weren't all the chain restaurants because we weren't 'big enough'. I don't think that applies so to this one as much.

Yeah that is part of it. There weren't all the chain restaurants because we weren't 'big enough'. I don't think that applies so to this one as much.

Part of the reason is the familiarity of the chains, and the shifting, transient population.

The other major part is the suburbanization taking place around NWA mall and the area's emergence as a "restaurant row."

My preference is for unique, local restaurants in a downtown "urban setting".

Second place to that is any kind of restaurants in the downtown "urban setting".

Its nice that Fayetteville residents have more choices now, but I'd rather there be a new restaurant opening every month downtown or on Dickson than near the mall. Whats going on in CMN, while rather well planned suburban development, really is just so much sprawl.

Hopefully the city can support both areas and the new development won't come at the expense of the downtown scene.

Is Shogun going to keep their existing location in Fayetteville open?

No I'm almost positive they'll just move. I don't think we're big enough to support two. And as das450 said it's just down the street from the current location too.

Part of the reason is the familiarity of the chains, and the shifting, transient population.

The other major part is the suburbanization taking place around NWA mall and the area's emergence as a "restaurant row."

My preference is for unique, local restaurants in a downtown "urban setting".

Second place to that is any kind of restaurants in the downtown "urban setting".

Its nice that Fayetteville residents have more choices now, but I'd rather there be a new restaurant opening every month downtown or on Dickson than near the mall. Whats going on in CMN, while rather well planned suburban development, really is just so much sprawl.

Hopefully the city can support both areas and the new development won't come at the expense of the downtown scene.

Yeah I'm torn on this. I like having more options and such and don't necessarily have a problem with the chains coming in. But at the same time I don't want to see them run out the local restaurants either. I'm just hoping that there will be enough growth for both. Fayetteville has some nice local restaurants and I'd hate to lose them. I wish more of the local places I like would have a location around the downtown area like La Huerta.

Archived