Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Great News for the City of Springdale.

5 new chain restaurants are coming to the city.

They are: Sizzler, Buffalo Wild Wings, Xazby's, Chilis, and Applebees.

All 5 of these will be on the west side of 412.

All west of 412 or I-540? I can see them all locating out between the interstate and HarBer Meadows. Someone had mentioned that Sizzlers were going to be coming to NWA soon. I guess this will be the first of few for the area.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All west of 412 or I-540? I can see them all locating out between the interstate and HarBer Meadows. Someone had mentioned that Sizzlers were going to be coming to NWA soon. I guess this will be the first of few for the area.

I mentioned the sizzlers around November or so. They will all be on the western side of 412, that's about all I know.

I love Moe's Southwest Grill! They have awesome, giant burritos!! There's one that's been ope near my office for quite some time, but I just tried it a couple months ago. Fantastic burritos, in my opinion.

I guess I need to go check it out sometime since that sounds like my kind of place. I wonder if it's anything like Qdoba or the Flying Burrito.

Great News for the City of Springdale.

5 new chain restaurants are coming to the city.

They are: Sizzler, Buffalo Wild Wings, Xazby's, Chilis, and Applebees.

All 5 of these will be on the west side of 412.

I'm not surprised Springdale will get the first Sizzler because the competition would be ripe with the Western Sizzlin already located there. Sizzler is hoping to break out of it's buffet-style steakhouse image that Western Sizzlin is famous for. Although Lone Star and Outback are in Soringdale they are right on the Fayetteville line closer to the mall than they are to 412. I think Sizzler will have a tougher time in Rogers and Fayetteville where there's already some great steakhouses. My bet would be that Bentonville will get the 2nd Sizzler.

awsome, ived lived in or right outside of springdale and went to springdale schools all my life, the city does have a bad reputation, but hopefully it can turn its image around with all the new development from 40th street out towards 112 in tontitown, i cant wait for all the development.

awsome, ived lived in or right outside of springdale and went to springdale schools all my life, the city does have a bad reputation, but hopefully it can turn its image around with all the new development from 40th street out towards 112 in tontitown, i cant wait for all the development.

The bad rap for Springdale is not going to go away until the city gets cleaned up. It looks like an a complete dump driving down 412 and 71b...and until the hispanic popluation goes below 20% again, its not going to get any respect in NWA.

The bad rap for Springdale is not going to go away until the city gets cleaned up. It looks like an a complete dump driving down 412 and 71b...and until the hispanic popluation goes below 20% again, its not going to get any respect in NWA.

I don't think that's a fair evaluation of Springdale. 412 in Springdale is cleaning itself up with quite a few good developments going on. There's a couple of very nice banks (nicer than most in NWA) and the new Lowes. 412 is already heavily developed to the point of being overcrowded, so it's going to take time to clean it up. There's also a lot of new hotels on 40th Street. There is much needed development on the Thompson Ave (71B), but they recently completed the new Springdale Country Club there and there is a lot of development on the west side of town. I don't think 71B in Springdale is any worse than 71B in Fayetteville.

Hispanics aren't going to go away, and from what I understand from the banks in NWA is that Hispanics have a lot of cash on hand as most don't have checking/savings accounts. The banks say Hispanics have a lot of investment capitol since most of them live well within their means and the average Hispanic household income is as high as the average non-Hispanic household... because everyone in a Hispanic family helps pay the bills. The whole illegal immigration issue is only going to get worse and until it's resolved no city with more than 2% Hispanics is going to get respect. It's a shame too, because there are a lot of decent, hard working, legal Hispanics living here that deserve the same respect and freedoms that we all have.

I don't think that's a fair evaluation of Springdale. 412 in Springdale is cleaning itself up with quite a few good developments going on. There's a couple of very nice banks (nicer than most in NWA) and the new Lowes. 412 is already heavily developed to the point of being overcrowded, so it's going to take time to clean it up. There's also a lot of new hotels on 40th Street. There is much needed development on the Thompson Ave (71B), but they recently completed the new Springdale Country Club there and there is a lot of development on the west side of town. I don't think 71B in Springdale is any worse than 71B in Fayetteville.

Hispanics aren't going to go away, and from what I understand from the banks in NWA is that Hispanics have a lot of cash on hand as most don't have checking/savings accounts. The banks say Hispanics have a lot of investment capitol since most of them live well within their means and the average Hispanic household income is as high as the average non-Hispanic household... because everyone in a Hispanic family helps pay the bills. The whole illegal immigration issue is only going to get worse and until it's resolved no city with more than 2% Hispanics is going to get respect. It's a shame too, because there are a lot of decent, hard working, legal Hispanics living here that deserve the same respect and freedoms that we all have.

I will agree that 412 in improving because of the bank buildings and yes they have hotels and the new lowes, but most of the road between I-540 east to 71B is just a bunch of metal ran down buildings that are just shoved in there as close as they can get them. I think 71B is the same way....I will also say that Fayetteville is the same way...once you bascially go on College south of Millsap road, its the same way and I wish some big developers would buy some of those places and do something with it.

I am not trying to bash the Hispanic population but any time a city has that large of a different culture, people in Arkansas simply aren't going to respect it, plan and simple. Personally I don't think it woud be that bad if they would learn English. That is my biggest problem with all of the hispanics here. I get so sick and tired of hearing all the spanish and not being able to communicate with them, and I get tired of all the Spanish on the signs. They expect that we catter to them and that is what pisses me off. Don't come over here and expect everything to be your way of life, they aren't in mexico and people should quit cattering to their every single need.

The best example I can give is in the school systems, such as English as a second language. I don't think its right for my tax dollars to be spent trying to teach these kids English, that really pisses me off. I'm sure the Springdale school system has quite a few teachers who were hired just for this need which I don't think is right.

I will agree that 412 in improving because of the bank buildings and yes they have hotels and the new lowes, but most of the road between I-540 east to 71B is just a bunch of metal ran down buildings that are just shoved in there as close as they can get them. I think 71B is the same way....I will also say that Fayetteville is the same way...once you bascially go on College south of Millsap road, its the same way and I wish some big developers would buy some of those places and do something with it.

I am not trying to bash the Hispanic population but any time a city has that large of a different culture, people in Arkansas simply aren't going to respect it, plan and simple. Personally I don't think it woud be that bad if they would learn English. That is my biggest problem with all of the hispanics here. I get so sick and tired of hearing all the spanish and not being able to communicate with them, and I get tired of all the Spanish on the signs. They expect that we catter to them and that is what pisses me off. Don't come over here and expect everything to be your way of life, they aren't in mexico and people should quit cattering to their every single need.

The best example I can give is in the school systems, such as English as a second language. I don't think its right for my tax dollars to be spent trying to teach these kids English, that really pisses me off. I'm sure the Springdale school system has quite a few teachers who were hired just for this need which I don't think is right.

I don't think there's a main business strip in any of the cities that couldn't use more developments. I'm seeing some of those metal buildings you're talking about in Rogers being disguised with brick facade which just makes it so much worse than just leaving it alone, especially when you have red brick columns attached to a grey metal building. Yuck!

Everything you said about the problems with illegal immigrants is the biggest issue facing this country today. Not gas prices or healthcare costs. CNN has been running daily specials about just how much damage illegal immigration is doing to the American economy and our very way of life. I totally agree with you about English as a second language in schools. I want my tax dollars to teach English NOT Spanish as a first language. The government and corporate "red tape" is keeping police officers from doing anything about illegal immigrants driving vehicles without a license... which means they don't have automobile insurance... which means if one of them runs over my son I will have to take the law into my own hands because if someone hurts my son I'll make sure they're not going to just get deported.

Anyway, it turns my stomach just thinking about what illegal immigration is doing to this country right now... it's worse than any terrorist attack on this nation. I don't have any problems with LEGAL immigrants... I wouldn't be here today if my grandfather had not legally immigrated to the US and worked hard so that little by little he could bring his family into this country from Puerto Rico. He used to tell me the stories of the jobs he worked when he first got to the US and he did it legally. He was never wealthy but he was a respected man by everyone who knew him. Legal Hispanics are just as respectable as anyone else... some more than others.

I know this should be in the Hispanic topic which I've tried to stay out of.

The first generation of immigrants almost never learns English very well. It wasn't that long ago that pockets of German was still being spoken in the Midwest. The children of the immigrants that are born here usually have no problems picking up English.

The first generation of immigrants almost never learns English very well. It wasn't that long ago that pockets of German was still being spoken in the Midwest. The children of the immigrants that are born here usually have no problems picking up English.

That's because they learn English in school. But do the "illegal immigrant" parents of those children pay taxes for education? No. How could they if they're using a dead persons social security number or maybe one of them stole my sons social security number. It happens all the time... it happened to me when I was only 4 years old. A Cuban refugee stole my social security number and opened a bank account with it and to this day the social security administration has me listed with two different names. Gee I wonder how that's going to affect my receiving social security benefits when that "illegal immigrant" is probably already enjoying my retirement checks. Why is it that nearly all illegal immigrants have children? Because they know that noone will send them back to Mexico or wherever as long as they have kids. That is criminal exploitation of a minor. Nevermind the fact that it is IN FACT a criminal offense to illegally enter any country, including the United States, and falsify documents in order to work in that country.

There's still plenty of towns in Southeast Missouri that have heavy German influences.

Help me out here, man. You want them to speak English, but you don't want them to LEARN to speak English? You don't want to hear anyone speaking Spanish, but you're opposed to teaching the Spanish-speaking kids how to speak English?

I do understand what you're saying - you don't want to have to PAY for them to learn to speak English.

I'm little frustrated too, don't get me wrong. But I realize that it is going to take resources to solve this problem. In the meantime, we would all do well to remember that by and large, the hispanics are the ones making it possible for us to have that fried chicken on our dinner table. I've toured a chicken plant or two, and I'm thankful someone is willing to do those stomach-churning jobs. They are a hard-working group of people.

The inability to speak english is actually a disability so technically any child who cannot speak english should be in a special ed school and not in public school. Public school teachers should only have to worry about teaching english to english-speaking children and not have to translate to half of the class.

Here's an example: If an english-speaking child doesn't understand what the english teacher is saying and isn't deaf that child should be in special ed. The same goes for a spanish-speaking child who doesn't understand that same teacher.

Help me out here, man. You want them to speak English, but you don't want them to LEARN to speak English? You don't want to hear anyone speaking Spanish, but you're opposed to teaching the Spanish-speaking kids how to speak English?

I do understand what you're saying - you don't want to have to PAY for them to learn to speak English.

I'm little frustrated too, don't get me wrong. But I realize that it is going to take resources to solve this problem. In the meantime, we would all do well to remember that by and large, the hispanics are the ones making it possible for us to have that fried chicken on our dinner table. I've toured a chicken plant or two, and I'm thankful someone is willing to do those stomach-churning jobs. They are a hard-working group of people.

By no means did I say they are not hard workers. My biggest problem is them not wanting to change or not changing their way of life to confirm to the American way of life. I do not think they should be allowed in this country legally if they can not speak English, and I do not think its our job to teach them to speak English. This would be like me saying:

"Hey I want to move to Japan, but I don't know their language, so everyone there needs to catter to my needs and also maybe their govenment will teach me Japanese while I'm at it"

Also I think the govenment needs to crack down on the illegals and ship them all back. They are hard workers and they do a good job when they work, I know, I have worked with many of them before.

Also I think the govenment needs to crack down on the illegals and ship them all back. They are hard workers and they do a good job when they work, I know, I have worked with many of them before.

Who would fill all of those jobs?

Think about it, If we suddenly lost 11 Million workers, our economy would go downfall.

Illegal immigration should not have been allowed to get this bad that we now have to deal with 11 million criminals residing within our borders. Mass deportation will be too costly and take forever. What they need to do is close the borders until 11 million criminals can be processed and taught english as their new primary language. Until then criminal organizations that are known to have hired illegal immigrants can pay for the paperwork, processing and teaching them english. Why should American tax dollars pay for criminal behavior.

You can have a bleeding heart, but you still need to obey the law. Illegal immigrants are criminals.

What a great conversation !

What if you were born in a country that had no opportunity and just next door there was this opportunity. Would you try to get there or just sit back and scrape by.

For years its been common practice for them to come across the border and now everyone wants to put a halt to it. Why is that ? National security ?

Do you know how long the process takes to get citizenship ?

Why wait so long if you can get ahead of the game and walk into the country and secure a job and help your family in your former country. Be glad you were born in the United States. If they want to change the rules then change it now and move forward but don't jump on them for doing what was accepted.

Calling them criminals is harsh - come on now yeah they have formally broken the law but tell me you never have. What would you do for your family ?

The hispanics that are coming here are not coming here to sponge off the Americans. Look around and you will see the drain on the system is caused by the American citizens themselves. How many hispanics do you know on disability ? How many have you seen in public housing ? How many do you know that are living on the streets. Go into any homeless shelter and you will be hard pressed to find a citizen on Mexico there.

Why are you so concerned about the Spanish language - nervous that you can't understand it. Give me one example of how the language has made your life more difficult ? It hasn't, you are threatened and reacting which is understandable but you need to understand why you feel that way. Go to some other communities in the country and you will see Germans speaking German, Italians speaking Italian, and so on ...

Open the doors ! Let them all in. Without the Mexicans this country wouldn't be where it is today.

Think about it.

Illegal immigration should not have been allowed to get this bad that we now have to deal with 11 million criminals residing within our borders. Mass deportation will be too costly and take forever. What they need to do is close the borders until 11 million criminals can be processed and taught english as their new primary language. Until then criminal organizations that are known to have hired illegal immigrants can pay for the paperwork, processing and teaching them english. Why should American tax dollars pay for criminal behavior.

You can have a bleeding heart, but you still need to obey the law. Illegal immigrants are criminals.

You all make very good points; I can't say that I disagree. It is a particularly frustrating issue for our family, having spent much time and money going about things the right way from day one. My husband came here on a work visa almost 14 years ago, and has done everything by the letter (English is his first language, by the way). It is annoying that my sister-in-law was denied permission merely to visit the States for our wedding (being single, she was what the US govt deems high risk for not returning home). Yet hundreds (thousands?) of illegals wander across the border every month.

You all make very good points; I can't say that I disagree. It is a particularly frustrating issue for our family, having spent much time and money going about things the right way from day one. My husband came here on a work visa almost 14 years ago, and has done everything by the letter (English is his first language, by the way). It is annoying that my sister-in-law was denied permission merely to visit the States for our wedding (being single, she was what the US govt deems high risk for not returning home). Yet hundreds (thousands?) of illegals wander across the border every month.

Personally if it were me, and yeah upfront it would cost a lot, but I would build a Berlin Wall type of system across the border...I know it would cost a lot but I think it would pay for itsself by not allowing so many of them to come over. I also think that our border with Mexico should basically be closed.

A simple fence is all that's needed to keep illegal immigrants from crossing the border. No need to make Americans the bad guys by building a "Berlin Wall" when it's the illegals that are the bad guys.

Everyone seems to think that all those illegal immigrants are taking jobs that no hard working American would take. WRONG!!! Many illegals are getting paid $10.00 per hour doing construction which is very good pay and offers experience in a very good trade and it costs the employer $10.00 per hour. The same $10.00 per hour job for an American would cost the employer $15.00 per hour.

If we continue to allow illegal immigrants to run freely within our border there won't always be 11 million of them... there will be 110 million of them... someday there may be a billion of them. A billion criminals who don't speak english, don't have a drivers license, use stolen social security numbers, don't pay taxes, uses our medicaid, and much much more. Is that acceptable?

I can understand people's frustrations with all of this but I can also see it from a Hispanics perspective as well. I'm not saying it's right but I can understand them wanting to come up and try to have a better opportunity to provide for their families. This may be different in other areas but I would have to say in NWA Hispanics do jobs that no one else wants. Tyson tried for years to get people to work in their factories and no one wanted to. They had very little luck even getting people from other areas of the state to move up to NWA to fill positions. I don't think a fence or wall is going to fix all the problems either. No matter what there are a lot of socio-political implications to having a first world country next door to a third world country. Historically speaking what happened with the Roman Empire and the Germanic tribes or the Chinese civilization and their numerous neighbors to the north? I hate to use those as examples because they aren't the best comparisons. But I guess my point is that something has to give at some point.

Archived