Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

I can understand people's frustrations with all of this but I can also see it from a Hispanics perspective as well. I'm not saying it's right but I can understand them wanting to come up and try to have a better opportunity to provide for their families. This may be different in other areas but I would have to say in NWA Hispanics do jobs that no one else wants. Tyson tried for years to get people to work in their factories and no one wanted to. They had very little luck even getting people from other areas of the state to move up to NWA to fill positions. I don't think a fence or wall is going to fix all the problems either. No matter what there are a lot of socio-political implications to having a first world country next door to a third world country. Historically speaking what happened with the Roman Empire and the Germanic tribes or the Chinese civilization and their numerous neighbors to the north? I hate to use those as examples because they aren't the best comparisons. But I guess my point is that something has to give at some point.

It was actually emperor Marcus Aurelius' Pax Romana (Roman Peace) that allowed barbaric Germanic tribes to immigrate into the Roman Empire. By the time the Romans realized just how many barbarians were inside their borders it was too late to do anything about it. When the Roman armies were defending the borders from barbarian hordes they used Germans to strengthen their numbers. The only problem was the Germans wouldn't fight other Germanic tribes so the Roman armies started crumbling. By the time the Goths and the Huns invaded the Roman Empire there wasn't enough left of the Roman armies to defend Rome. End of Rome. The fact is that if Rome had kept to their policy of not allowing barbarians to become citizens of the Roman Empire then the Roman Empire might have survived to this day.

If Mexico is in such horrible third world conditions (which it's not) then the government of Mexico could apply for UN aid (which they haven't). It was in fact Mexico that came to the aid of the US when hurricane Katrina devastated the gulf coast. Third world countries receive aid they don't send it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was actually emperor Marcus Aurelius' Pax Romana (Roman Peace) that allowed barbaric Germanic tribes to immigrate into the Roman Empire. By the time the Romans realized just how many barbarians were inside their borders it was too late to do anything about it. When the Roman armies were defending the borders from barbarian hordes they used Germans to strengthen their numbers. The only problem was the Germans wouldn't fight other Germanic tribes so the Roman armies started crumbling. By the time the Goths and the Huns invaded the Roman Empire there wasn't enough left of the Roman armies to defend Rome. End of Rome. The fact is that if Rome had kept to their policy of not allowing barbarians to become citizens of the Roman Empire then the Roman Empire might have survived to this day.

If Mexico is in such horrible third world conditions (which it's not) then the government of Mexico could apply for UN aid (which they haven't). It was in fact Mexico that came to the aid of the US when hurricane Katrina devastated the gulf coast. Third world countries receive aid they don't send it.

I see your point but I think there was a lot of other factors that led to Rome's demise. The Romans were very good about allowing other groups of people into the empire though. Some of the emperors ended up being people without any Roman ancestry.

I see your point but I think there was a lot of other factors that led to Rome's demise. The Romans were very good about allowing other groups of people into the empire though. Some of the emperors ended up being people without any Roman ancestry.

The late Roman Empire started making citizenship easier, but make no mistake that for most of the Roman Empire there were strict rules that noone could become a citizen of Rome unless both parents were of Roman descent. There was even a time when Rome practised ethnic cleansing, although not quite as monstrous as the Nazi's version. Here's a decent summary I found to be useful:

Roman Citizenship

Possession of citizenship was desired by Romans and barbari alike. Besides making one safe from the death penalty, a Roman citizen enjoyed:

suffragium - the right to vote

commercium - the right to make contracts

conubium - the right to contract a legal marriage

Citizens did have responsibilities: they were taxed, and the men needed to complete a term of military service (in fact, only a citizen could become a Roman legionary). Only a citizen could use the praenomen-nomen-cognomen set of names.

A complex set of rules determined who was or was not a Roman citizen. One could be a citizen by virtue of one's birth if certain circumstances applied. If both mother and father had conubium, the child was deemed a citizen and held the social class of its father (e.g., eques, patrician, plebeian). If a Roman citizen had a child outside of conubium, the child took the status of its mother. If the mother was not a citizen, the child was not a Roman citizen and could even be a slave.

Children born to Roman legionaries during their military service were NOT citizens. it was illegal for legionaries to wed while serving their 20-year tour of duty and, thus, there could be no conubium. Since the mothers of legionaries' children generally were not Roman citizens themselves, in the eyes of Roman law the children simply received the status and nationality of the mother.

Factors other than birthright arose over time to determine citizenship:

Latini, people from the Latin states, who took up residence in Rome were granted a class of citizenship with limited rights.

Slaves, upon being freed, became citizens.

Peregrini, foreigners living in conquered lands, could be given full or partial citizenship.

Citizenship could be bestowed as a reward for service to the state. For example, citizenship was eventually granted to all who served as Auxilii (Peregrini who served as auxiliary troops).

In AD 212, all free inhabitants of the empire were finally granted citizenship.

Joan Jahnige, May 2002

Sources:

Justinian: The Digest of Roman Law, translated by C.F. Kilbert, Penquin Classics, 1979.

Legal Latin, Dr. R. Masciantonio, American Classical League.

Life and Law of Rome, A.J. Crook, Cornell University Press 1967.

As the Romans Did, Jo Ann Shelton, Oxford University Press 1988, pp. 242-8, 277.

Children of Romulus, G.B. Cobbold, Longman Press 1995 pp. 137-8.

The Romans, Karl Christ, University of California Press 1984 pp. 121-132.

Web site: www.jura.uni-sb.de/Rechtsgeschichte/Ius.Romanum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In AD 212 emperor Caracalla passed the law to make all free inhabitants Roman citizens

The Constitutio Antoniniana (Latin: "Constitution [or Edict] of Antoninus") was an edict declared in 212 AD by the Roman Emperor Caracalla (whose real name was Marcus Aurelius Antoninus). The law declared that all free-born men of the Roman Empire were to be given full Roman citizenship and all free-born women of the Empire were given the same rights as Roman women were.

Before 212, for the most part only inhabitants of the Italian peninsula (then a multi-ethnic region) held full Roman citizenship. Colonies of Romans established in other provinces, Romans (or their descendants) living in provinces, the inhabitants of various cities throughout the Empire, and small numbers of local nobles (such as client-kings) held full citizenship also. Whereas, at most, the majority of provincials merely held limited Roman citizenship rights (if that at all).

The reasons Caracalla passed this law were mainly to increase the number of people available to tax and to serve in the legions (only full citizens could serve as legionaries in the Roman Army).

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutio_Antoniniana"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we should go ahead and grant citizenship to all people so they can be taxed... and while we're at it why don't we go ahead and legalize all drugs so they can be taxed. The US could just be one big free-for-all.

About the aid they sent...over 100 countries sent aid or tried to send aid to the US after Katrina. They do it because they think they have to (since we have given so much to so many of them), because it makes them feel better but mostly so if a disaster does occur to them, the US will be there to help them out. The aid that Mexico sent to us is no different them me saying "I'm sorry" and taking a few cookies to a neighbor who just had a loved on die.

About the aid they sent...over 100 countries sent aid or tried to send aid to the US after Katrina. They do it because they think they have to (since we have given so much to so many of them), because it makes them feel better but mostly so if a disaster does occur to them, the US will be there to help them out. The aid that Mexico sent to us is no different them me saying "I'm sorry" and taking a few cookies to a neighbor who just had a loved on die.

Mexico's aid wasn't even expected. The border guards just let a massive convoy of Mexican military vehicles carrying tons of clothing and water through the border and they made their way to Houston. I was shocked and amazed at seeing a foreign military convoy driving through American cities. It wasn't covered by American newsmedia, but there was a lot of coverage on the Hispanic cable channels. Also, Mexico is a country that has been racked by earthquakes and hurricanes and I don't recall ever hearing about American aid going to their rescue.

I forgot to say, but I went by the Switchback Cafe in Downtown Rogers. Kind of makes me feel like I'm actually in a downtown. Great Gelato I will say.

I think that makes five restaurants for Downtown Rogers. Las Palmas, Palms Plaza, Switchback Cafe, Bella Arti, and Iron Horse.

I forgot to say, but I went by the Switchback Cafe in Downtown Rogers. Kind of makes me feel like I'm actually in a downtown. Great Gelato I will say.

I think that makes five restaurants for Downtown Rogers. Las Palmas, Palms Plaza, Switchback Cafe, Bella Arti, and Iron Horse.

What kind of food do they specialize in? I need to find me someplace around here that serves gelato. I think Scarpino does or at least did.

What kind of food do they specialize in? I need to find me someplace around here that serves gelato. I think Scarpino does or at least did.

I think that is the place on West street just off of Dickson. I am sure it does, but I could be confused becuase I am not Italian... :D

I think that is the place on West street just off of Dickson. I am sure it does, but I could be confused becuase I am not Italian... :D

I heard Scarpino had gelato last summer. They probably still do but I haven't checked it out. And yeah it's just across the street from Alligator Ray's.

There was an article in Friday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the Ice House. Maybe this was obvious to everyone up in Benton County but apparently it's in Bentonville's old ice house. From what I could tell looks like it serves upscale fare.

There was an article in Friday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the Ice House. Maybe this was obvious to everyone up in Benton County but apparently it's in Bentonville's old ice house. From what I could tell looks like it serves upscale fare.

Zaxby's will have ELEVEN restaurants in NWA someday. (We moved here from Georgia and I always appreciated stopping at that place.

Yeah, Bentonville's is already open, with Fayetteville's going in on Sixth Street next to Burger King, the Springdale one is going on Thompson. I think they have plans for a Siloam Springs location, Rogers, Lowell, a second Fayetteville location, from there I'm not sure.

Yeah, Bentonville's is already open, with Fayetteville's going in on Sixth Street next to Burger King, the Springdale one is going on Thompson. I think they have plans for a Siloam Springs location, Rogers, Lowell, a second Fayetteville location, from there I'm not sure.

I guess I haven't been on that stretch of 6th St in a while. But I bet I know what location you're talking about. There's been an empty lot just east of Burger King across that small street.

It looks like Alligator Rays has closed and two new restaurants will take its place. Tony C is going to open an upscale Italian restaurant in one part and have some sort of sports bar in the other section. Meanwhile Alligator Rays is moving to Bentonville/Rogers for some reason. They were still complaining about the smoking ban in Fayetteville, but I believe the whole state will be under the ban by July 1. Here is the article from the Times:

Alligator Rays Closes

It looks like Alligator Rays has closed and two new restaurants will take its place. Tony C is going to open an upscale Italian restaurant in one part and have some sort of sports bar in the other section. Meanwhile Alligator Rays is moving to Bentonville/Rogers for some reason. They were still complaining about the smoking ban in Fayetteville, but I believe the whole state will be under the ban by July 1. Here is the article from the Times:

Alligator Rays Closes

So, another Fayetteville business is moving to Benton County. Why am I not surprised.

Sorry, Mason's Dad, but I don't like it at all.

I don't like it moving to Benton County either. It's says it will open in Bentonville sometime, I hope they put it in the Downtown area. I can't stand seeing another local restaurant go sprawl up here. :D

Tonny Catroppa......isn't he the guy that created the Tonny C's Taxi Service up here? That taxi company is doing pretty hot right now, I see one or two a day now.

I don't like it moving to Benton County either. It's says it will open in Bentonville sometime, I hope they put it in the Downtown area. I can't stand seeing another local restaurant go sprawl up here. :D

Tonny Catroppa......isn't he the guy that created the Tonny C's Taxi Service up here? That taxi company is doing pretty hot right now, I see one or two a day now.

It seems like he has some other businesses as well. I was thinking he already had a restaurant somewhere in Fayetteville too.

It seems like he has some other businesses as well. I was thinking he already had a restaurant somewhere in Fayetteville too.

Ol' Tony C has had his hand in numerous business ventures over the years--mostly bars, night clubs and the like. I'm not certain if he's still there, but I know he had opened a place at the former Fuzzy's location on Garland, right after Fuzzy's went under a year or so back. I'm not certain, but I've been told that he also has a hand in club Wild On on 62W and whatever the other club next door to it is, among other ventures.

You are correct on all of your assumptions.

Tony Catroppa has a deep hand in all of these businesses. The old Fuzzy's is his as is Wild On and the Pool Hall connected to it.

Ol' Tony C has had his hand in numerous business ventures over the years--mostly bars, night clubs and the like. I'm not certain if he's still there, but I know he had opened a place at the former Fuzzy's location on Garland, right after Fuzzy's went under a year or so back. I'm not certain, but I've been told that he also has a hand in club Wild On on 62W and whatever the other club next door to it is, among other ventures.

Tony C also owns the Gentlemen's Club next to La Huerta on 71B in Fayetteville and Club Hotz across the border in Missouri (another adult hangout).

You are correct on all of your assumptions.

Tony Catroppa has a deep hand in all of these businesses. The old Fuzzy's is his as is Wild On and the Pool Hall connected to it.

Archived