Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

When my friend visited, who goes to UA, told me that Fayetteville just got their first Steak n' Shake I was flabbergassed. Is this really the first one in all of NWA?

Why did Fayetteville not get one sooner? My guess is because Arkansas doesn't have anything to do with Route 66 while it does pass through Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. Is it any wonder why Springfield has a Steak n' Shake since Route 66 goes right through Springfield? Steak n' Shake is as much of an icon of Route 66 as an American icon. From American icon to franchise chain. Now they're everywhere but the one in Fayetteville is nothing out of the ordinary as are the ones found in Dallas or any other place that has no historic ties to Route 66. They're just good quality fast food places whereas those found on Route 66 have more sentimental and historic value to them.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows why they didn't come here sooner. Guess it's the same reason Arkansas was pretty much the last state that Starbucks came to as well.

There has been one in the Sherwood/McCain area for at least 7 years (first time I ever ate there...and it definitely didn't "feel new" then). It is on the access road by where CompUSA used to be, across the highway from the Best Buy. Not sure of any others.

There has been one in the Sherwood/McCain area for at least 7 years (first time I ever ate there...and it definitely didn't "feel new" then). It is on the access road by where CompUSA used to be, across the highway from the Best Buy. Not sure of any others.

This Steak n' Shake has been closed for over a year. The building was redone and it is now a Mexican Restaurant.

I've eaten at that one before, I really enjoyed it, except I was practically the only person in the restaurant.

Why did Fayetteville not get one sooner? My guess is because Arkansas doesn't have anything to do with Route 66 while it does pass through Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. Is it any wonder why Springfield has a Steak n' Shake since Route 66 goes right through Springfield? Steak n' Shake is as much of an icon of Route 66 as an American icon. From American icon to franchise chain. Now they're everywhere but the one in Fayetteville is nothing out of the ordinary as are the ones found in Dallas or any other place that has no historic ties to Route 66. They're just good quality fast food places whereas those found on Route 66 have more sentimental and historic value to them.

Hmm, I never knew that it was a route 66 thing. I guess that makes since though seeing how long they have been in Springfield, about 50 years or so I'm guessing. There is one right off of route 66 in Downtown Springfield. It has those tiny light bulbs outlining the building like you would see in the fifties.

Most of this has already been mentioned but I don't think all the details have. Applebee's has broken ground in Springdale. It's on the southeast corner of Sunset and 40th. Construction should be finished in August. Sizzler is nearly complete. It's also on Sunset just west of Lowe's. Buffalo Wild Wings will break ground soon at the Shoppes at Har-Ber Lakes. Chili's will break ground this fall on Sunset where the temporary offices of Legacy Bank. And the Zaxby's will be built on N Thompson St.

It looks like Samuarai japanese Steak and Sushi is now open in Bentonville. It's in the corner of a small shopping center between Carpet One and Cingular. They say it doesn't look like much on the outside but the inside is a different story. Sounds like something for Matt. If you get a chance to stop by sometime let us know how it is. :D

It looks like Samuarai japanese Steak and Sushi is now open in Bentonville. It's in the corner of a small shopping center between Carpet One and Cingular. They say it doesn't look like much on the outside but the inside is a different story. Sounds like something for Matt. If you get a chance to stop by sometime let us know how it is. :D

Let's hope it doesn't burn down or get a lot of people sick. If it can get past that part it should do well. :D

Let's hope it doesn't burn down or get a lot of people sick. If it can get past that part it should do well. :D

Yeah I guess they've had a few problems up there. But you'd certainly think things like that won't keep happening on a regular basis. :D

I just happened to pass by the 14th Street Plaza (or next door to it) where Samurai Japanese Steak & Sushi opened. It used to be a little Chinese Buffet that was lousy. I can't say what the interior of the Samurai looks like but I wasn't impressed with the Chinese Buffet that was there. The Planet Video a couple doors down is also owned by an Asian entrepeneur. There's also a coffee, ice cream and pizza shop called Bubba Kool's Chill Zone next door. There's a couple other businesses located in the corner shopping center but their typical strip mall fare.

Let me see if I am following along right, becauase I may not be...

Burn down = AQ Chicken

People sick = Sushi King

Am I right?

I could swear I saw another restaurant that burned down on South Walton or maybe Hwy 12, but I may be mistaken.

I know most people would not be aware of this but when Brioso Brazil was built, the contractors built it wrong and put the hood vents for the pit grills right next to the supporting rafters in the cieling. It was about a year later that they had to shut down because they came in one day and there was all kinds of smoke all over but no visible fire UNTIL they looked in the attic and found one rafter completely gone and another about 50% gone! It was never a blazing fire, thank goodness, but it certainly did a number on the roof.

Anywho, thats the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

I know most people would not be aware of this but when Brioso Brazil was built, the contractors built it wrong and put the hood vents for the pit grills right next to the supporting rafters in the cieling. It was about a year later that they had to shut down because they came in one day and there was all kinds of smoke all over but no visible fire UNTIL they looked in the attic and found one rafter completely gone and another about 50% gone! It was never a blazing fire, thank goodness, but it certainly did a number on the roof.

Anywho, thats the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

I never heard about that.

Carrabas is NOT open yet. Both will be customers of mine. I should be setting up Carrabas in a few weeks. I will let you guys know of the planned open date soon, assuming I dont get so swamped that I forget to. I should be able to do the same with PF Changs when they roll out also, since they too will likely be a customer of mine unless they make a change at the corporate level between now and then.

Who knows why they didn't come here sooner. Guess it's the same reason Arkansas was pretty much the last state that Starbucks came to as well.

Don't feel bad. Take a good look at that map on Steak N Shake's website... notice something funny in the middle of all that red? Boy, do I sometimes feel like I live in the armpit of the south. I love Stake N Shake and always stop at one, at least once, when I visit Illinois.

The last TGI Friday's in Louisiana was in the New Orleans suburb of Metairie until recently... now there are none left. With all the growth in the New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Lafayette areas and TGI Friday's has abandoned the state rather than expanded. Unreal.

Don't feel bad. Take a good look at that map on Steak N Shake's website... notice something funny in the middle of all that red? Boy, do I sometimes feel like I live in the armpit of the south. I love Stake N Shake and always stop at one, at least once, when I visit Illinois.

That is quite odd for Louisiana to be completely passed over by Steak & Shake like that. I wonder if there's a story behind that.

Carrabas is NOT open yet. Both will be customers of mine. I should be setting up Carrabas in a few weeks. I will let you guys know of the planned open date soon, assuming I dont get so swamped that I forget to. I should be able to do the same with PF Changs when they roll out also, since they too will likely be a customer of mine unless they make a change at the corporate level between now and then.

Same here man. I can't wait for Bonefish Grill especially. This will be the only upscale Seafood Restaurant in Benton County, (can't speak for Washington Co.) It will also be the only Bonefish in Arkansas. Carrabas is an excellent Italian Restaurant. Carrabas incorporates trees and grasses on their restaurant roofs to make for a true Sicilian Feel.

Mith, I haven't tried Samurai Steakhouse yet, but I'll have to. I'm waiting for some real authentic Japenese and Chinese Restaurants to come up to the area. Except for Shogun and Kobe, there's really no exceptional Japenese Restaurants.

I'd missed this earlier but a restaurant recently closed on Dickson St. Benson's, which was a Memphis style BBQ place closed. It's in part of the old bakery. There hasn't been good luck at that spot. Corky's was there before it eventually moved and then closed. Big Daddy's Sports Bar didn't last too long and now Benson's. It was basically just east of the Walton Arts Center on the south side of the street. It even had a nice patio area. A little surprising that no one has had much luck at that spot so far.

Fayetteville has a new restaurant, one that should be appealing to a number of people in the area. It will focus on trying to serve as much organic food as possible. The Greenhouse Grille also plans on trying to buy as much locally grown products as well. It will be located on Archibald Yell. Around the curves before 71B turns into College Ave.

Archived