Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Fayetteville has a new restaurant, one that should be appealing to a number of people in the area. It will focus on trying to serve as much organic food as possible. The Greenhouse Grille also plans on trying to buy as much locally grown products as well. It will be located on Archibald Yell. Around the curves before 71B turns into College Ave.

I guess whatever floats there boat.

For those that dont know I do pest elimination for commercial accounts. Many restaurants are clients of mine. I was doing a local pizza chains store the other day and the asst mgr asked if I could use organic sprays. I told her we use what works best. Then it dawned on me after I left. Dont they tout organic as being healthy, and everything else as being LESS than healthy? What exactly was she wanting me to do, eliminate the insects, or get them healthy so they could move to the next location?

Dont worry, I know there are "organic" solutions to pests(many of which are really scams IMHO), but it just seems ironic. How can they honestly promote organic as 100% healthy, and then in the same breath say organic is a good option to kill something?

OK, back to restaurants...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess whatever floats there boat.

For those that dont know I do pest elimination for commercial accounts. Many restaurants are clients of mine. I was doing a local pizza chains store the other day and the asst mgr asked if I could use organic sprays. I told her we use what works best. Then it dawned on me after I left. Dont they tout organic as being healthy, and everything else as being LESS than healthy? What exactly was she wanting me to do, eliminate the insects, or get them healthy so they could move to the next location?

Dont worry, I know there are "organic" solutions to pests(many of which are really scams IMHO), but it just seems ironic. How can they honestly promote organic as 100% healthy, and then in the same breath say organic is a good option to kill something?

OK, back to restaurants...

I wonder if they are referring more to the fact of the residue left after the insect is killed. You know then it ends up going down the drain to the sewer and then who knows where. I certainly don't mind seeing more organic prodicts sold locally since I have my hand in that somewhat at Harp's. :D

Fayetteville has a new restaurant, one that should be appealing to a number of people in the area. It will focus on trying to serve as much organic food as possible. The Greenhouse Grille also plans on trying to buy as much locally grown products as well. It will be located on Archibald Yell. Around the curves before 71B turns into College Ave.

That's pretty cool. Any idea if this is a raw food kind of restaurant?

I wonder if they are referring more to the fact of the residue left after the insect is killed. You know then it ends up going down the drain to the sewer and then who knows where. I certainly don't mind seeing more organic prodicts sold locally since I have my hand in that somewhat at Harp's. :D

Truth is most the products break down pretty fast. In the perfect conditions most pesticides will still break down in 30-90 days. Heat, moisture and sunlight will speed up the process. I would be surprised if ANY of todays pesticides would make it through the water refining process. Used to be that we had products that lasted forever. Then they had some that lasted a long time. Then they took those off the market and gave us some that lasted a long time in the right conditions. Dursban Termiticide placed under a home where it was not exposed to sunlight or moisture would last up to 25 years. Now that is gone. The best chemicals on the market now, placed in the ideal location, will begin leaving your home exposed to termites about 7 years or less after it was applied. While I dont believe we should reintroduce some of these pesticides that we dont even know the half life for, I also think its crazy the direction its heading. Termites cause more damage every year than fires and floods combined. Then you have diseases caused by pests. Lets not forget that 1/3 of europe was lost because of a plaque carried by a flea. We have more to be worried about with pests than we do pesticides. These are all past events. But one thing thats all over the news is the bird flu, which people are speculating will be carried by wild birds, many of them pest species, like pigeons. Already without the scare of bird flu, you have pigeons here already transmitting hystoplasmosis, which is also deadly to humans. What will the organic crowd propose to deal with the bird flu being transmitted by pest birds? Will they help you pay the thousands of dollars to retreat your home because the termiticide wore off? After all they where insturmental in getting us to where we are...

What the whole argument needs is balance. We need proper pesticides to protect the health and welfare of society, and we need better training so they are properly applied. That would mean many of these should NOT be available to the public. This also means more strict standards on people in the profession. I have been in the industry for 10 years now, taken courses through Purdue and Texas A & M to name a few, and hold or have held the highest licensing in both Arkansas and Oklahoma, and yet the ONLY accounts that are checked to make sure I am doing things legaly are my food processing plants. And those inspections are NOT done by any government agency. We need better pesticides that will do the job, and we need more enforcement on safety and application laws.

Truth is most the products break down pretty fast. In the perfect conditions most pesticides will still break down in 30-90 days. Heat, moisture and sunlight will speed up the process. I would be surprised if ANY of todays pesticides would make it through the water refining process. Used to be that we had products that lasted forever. Then they had some that lasted a long time. Then they took those off the market and gave us some that lasted a long time in the right conditions. Dursban Termiticide placed under a home where it was not exposed to sunlight or moisture would last up to 25 years. Now that is gone. The best chemicals on the market now, placed in the ideal location, will begin leaving your home exposed to termites about 7 years or less after it was applied. While I dont believe we should reintroduce some of these pesticides that we dont even know the half life for, I also think its crazy the direction its heading. Termites cause more damage every year than fires and floods combined. Then you have diseases caused by pests. Lets not forget that 1/3 of europe was lost because of a plaque carried by a flea. We have more to be worried about with pests than we do pesticides. These are all past events. But one thing thats all over the news is the bird flu, which people are speculating will be carried by wild birds, many of them pest species, like pigeons. Already without the scare of bird flu, you have pigeons here already transmitting hystoplasmosis, which is also deadly to humans. What will the organic crowd propose to deal with the bird flu being transmitted by pest birds? Will they help you pay the thousands of dollars to retreat your home because the termiticide wore off? After all they where insturmental in getting us to where we are...

What the whole argument needs is balance. We need proper pesticides to protect the health and welfare of society, and we need better training so they are properly applied. That would mean many of these should NOT be available to the public. This also means more strict standards on people in the profession. I have been in the industry for 10 years now, taken courses through Purdue and Texas A & M to name a few, and hold or have held the highest licensing in both Arkansas and Oklahoma, and yet the ONLY accounts that are checked to make sure I am doing things legaly are my food processing plants. And those inspections are NOT done by any government agency. We need better pesticides that will do the job, and we need more enforcement on safety and application laws.

Is your real name Dale Gribble of Dale's Dead Bug.? Say hey to Hank.

Is your real name Dale Gribble of Dale's Dead Bug.? Say hey to Hank.

No, and to be frank, I never even heard of the company. Where are they based? I work for a company called Ecolab. While most here have never heard of us, no one here has not been effected by the company in some way. The floors in your favorite restaurant are likely cleaned by our soaps. Your hand soap at McDs is by us. The vegetable wash at Walmart, us. Laundry at most hotels, us. I work for theyre pest elimination division. We spend zip in advertising, yet we are the third largest pest company in the country, and second largest all comercial pest company in the world. With our gains and acquisitions we should be #1 in about 5-8 years. Not a household name, but big none the less.

No, and to be frank, I never even heard of the company. Where are they based? I work for a company called Ecolab. While most here have never heard of us, no one here has not been effected by the company in some way. The floors in your favorite restaurant are likely cleaned by our soaps. Your hand soap at McDs is by us. The vegetable wash at Walmart, us. Laundry at most hotels, us. I work for theyre pest elimination division. We spend zip in advertising, yet we are the third largest pest company in the country, and second largest all comercial pest company in the world. With our gains and acquisitions we should be #1 in about 5-8 years. Not a household name, but big none the less.

He's referring to a tv show, King of the Hill.

BTW- Sounded a bit disrespectful in hindsight. Was that a jab?

No, not at all. On the show Dale keeps his stash of no longer allowed chemicals to get rid of pests. I agree with you that some of what is being used now does not work. A good example would be the return of bedbugs in the U.S. I also agree with you that proper use is very important because overuse of some chemicals has happened in the past.

Rogers is yet getting another Starbucks:

Right next to Atlanta Bread Company on Walnut Street.

Yeah this makes 3 stand alone locations in Rogers, plus the one in Barnes and Noble.

BTW, this location is already under construction, it's the small location near the Atlanta Bread Co.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Morning News:

Mathias Properties of Springdale recently submitted documents for a Taco Bueno to the Bentonville Planning Commission. The Bentonville restaurant will be near Krispy Kreme along the south side of Southeast Walton Boulevard between Dodson and Horsebarn roads in Bentonville.

Cool. Apparently, this is in addition to the location going in at Pleasant Crossing. It's about time Taco Bell and Taco Tico got some competition around here.

According to the Morning News:

Mathias Properties of Springdale recently submitted documents for a Taco Bueno to the Bentonville Planning Commission. The Bentonville restaurant will be near Krispy Kreme along the south side of Southeast Walton Boulevard between Dodson and Horsebarn roads in Bentonville.

Cool. Apparently, this is in addition to the location going in at Pleasant Crossing. It's about time Taco Bell and Taco Tico got some competition around here.

I say you guys need some competition from something more like a Flying Burrito or Qdoba. :D

I say you guys need some competition from something more like a Flying Burrito or Qdoba. :D

Well we do have Pepper Jack's Mexican Grill which is comparable to the Flying Burrito, but we are lacking anything comparable to Qdoba.

Bentonville is getting a Boston's Gourmet Pizza that's scheduled to open in August. Evidently it's a Canadian owned pizza chain. It features two themes under one roof. An upbeat casual dining atmosphere that's perfect for individuals, families, teams and groups of all ages. Boston's also has an exciting and lively sports themed bar which features flat screen plasma TV's to showcase sports and special events, and is decorated with local sports memorabliia which brings out the fan in everybody.

HawgTown Pizza opened in Bentonville this March. It's a unique pizza place where anything and everything can be made into a pizza and you make your own pizza. Ever heard of a baked potato pizza? Also, home of the "The Boss Hawg", the biggest pizza in Arkansas.

We do have a Qdoba in Fayetteville, and IMO Moe's Southwest Grill is real similar. They are on the same side of the road as Krispy Kreme, just farther away from the bypass.

I meant that we were lacking a Qdoba in Bentonville, but I did miss Moe's Southwest Grill which is very comparable to Qdoba. Dang it, all this talk about Mexican food made me really hungry. :shok:

Actually, to us Moms (or Dads) who are hauling around 2 or 3 kids, it isn't competition unless is has a DRIVE-THRU! I guess that's why I don't think of the fast-casual places, although I definitely would prefer them taste-wise. When I'm feeding kids, I go for cheap and easy, and I like having a better alternative to burgers or Taco Bell. When it's just my husband and I we would definitely choose Moe's, or Abuelo's if the cash flow is good that week.

Actually, to us Moms (or Dads) who are hauling around 2 or 3 kids, it isn't competition unless is has a DRIVE-THRU! I guess that's why I don't think of the fast-casual places, although I definitely would prefer them taste-wise. When I'm feeding kids, I go for cheap and easy, and I like having a better alternative to burgers or Taco Bell. When it's just my husband and I we would definitely choose Moe's, or Abuelo's if the cash flow is good that week.

I agree. My wife and I only have one 2 year old and I can see how hauling around 2 or 3 to a sit down restaurant would be nothing short of a superhuman feat. It would be nice if some of these new fast-casual restaurants would have a drive-thru. I know that there are quite a few restaurants that have a delivery service for a moderate delivery charge. You could check out nwamenus.com for some of these restaurants.

I agree. My wife and I only have one 2 year old and I can see how hauling around 2 or 3 to a sit down restaurant would be nothing short of a superhuman feat. It would be nice if some of these new fast-casual restaurants would have a drive-thru. I know that there are quite a few restaurants that have a delivery service for a moderate delivery charge. You could check out nwamenus.com for some of these restaurants.

Thanks for the link. Sadly, not even the pizza places will deliver to us - we live too far out, on a dirt road. Oh well. Until we had kids, it never occurred to me how much time it takes to unstrap everyone, herd them out of the car, into the restaurant, make at least 2 trips to the restroom, eliminate temptations like salt and pepper shakers, etc, then herd everyone back and strap them in again. On the rare occasion that I'm out by myself, I feel like I'm flying as I pop in and out of places running errands. I can literally accomplish 3 or 4 times as much in the same amount of time. No regrets, of course. They're worth every exasperating moment. :wacko:

Hi im new to this forum but i was looking through here and wanted to put my two cents in. I wish Northwest Arkansas had more upscale dining options. I think alot of you here would agree with me on that. Im from and live in Fort Smith and usually come up here to eat as its kind of tiring of eating at the same places over and over again but even now its hard to not eat at the same places over and over even up in NWA. I wished we had something like a upscale Japanese restaurant or something like that. Ive just gotten back from Tokyo and ate this great restaurant at the hotel I was staying at (Conrad Hilton Tokyo). Its called Kazahana and it served some of the best sashimi I have ever had plus I had a traditional kaiseki meal which was quite stunning in its simplicity. The price tag was high (for me) at Y28,000 or $240 for two but it was worth it. Only if a restaurant like that could be created here, I know i and alot of people would eat here just for the atmosphere. It was top notch service as was expected and we never had to wait long for anything (once were done with a course, the plates would be changed immediately and the next course would be brought). Would anyone think a restaurant like this would work in Fayetteville? I wanted to take a picture of the restaurant but they do not allow that so I found the best photo I could find of the place. Sorry this was long postand if its not in the right place im sorry, im a newbie to this. If anyone wants a review of the Conrad Tokyo and some pics of the room just email and ill be glad to send.

TYOCICI_Conrad_Hotel_Tokyo_dining_kazahana.jpg

Archived