Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Ive just gotten back from Tokyo and ate this great restaurant at the hotel I was staying at (Conrad Hilton Tokyo). Its called Kazahana and it served some of the best sashimi I have ever had plus I had a traditional kaiseki meal which was quite stunning in its simplicity. The price tag was high (for me) at Y28,000 or $240 for two but it was worth it. Only if a restaurant like that could be created here, I know i and alot of people would eat here just for the atmosphere. It was top notch service as was expected and we never had to wait long for anything (once were done with a course, the plates would be changed immediately and the next course would be brought). Would anyone think a restaurant like this would work in Fayetteville?

I doubt a restaurant of that caliber would do well in Fayetteville or NWA in general. There aren't enough wealthy people that aren't affiliated with Wal-Mart in NWA and even Wal-Mart executives are cheap when they have business lunches. Vendors go cheap as well when dining with Wal-Mart people because they know they're not allowed to pay for Wal-Mart's dinner. So that leaves a small percentage of wealthy people in NWA who would dine at a place like that which means it wouldn't do very well. Just my opinion.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt a restaurant of that caliber would do well in Fayetteville or NWA in general. There aren't enough wealthy people that aren't affiliated with Wal-Mart in NWA and even Wal-Mart executives are cheap when they have business lunches. Vendors go cheap as well when dining with Wal-Mart people because they know they're not allowed to pay for Wal-Mart's dinner. So that leaves a small percentage of wealthy people in NWA who would dine at a place like that which means it wouldn't do very well. Just my opinion.

Another problem is that we arent exactly close to a source of great fresh seafood. There are many restaurants in NYC, Frisco, LA, and Miami like that. There are even a few in large inland cities like Chicago, but they are really expensive because of having to flying in fish everyday from distant locales. I am pretty sure that there are a few restaurants in town here that fly in fish, but it is stuff like red snapper that they can fly in bulk quantities of and it is good for quite some time. There are restaurants in Tokyo that dont serve specific sashimi unless they know the fish is less than 12 hours old. That isnt feasible here, I dont even know if it is really even possible.

Just remember that a great steak here costs WAY less than they are there, and unless you get Kobe beef (which is in a price range right up there with good sashimi], it is a lot better here.

I found out about Kobe not long ago. Is there somewhere around here you can get it? I am not sure I want to try and cook it myself. From what I have read on the net, unless you cook it right, it is no more impressive than regular steak. So is there a restaurant that serves Kobe?

I found out about Kobe not long ago. Is there somewhere around here you can get it? I am not sure I want to try and cook it myself. From what I have read on the net, unless you cook it right, it is no more impressive than regular steak. So is there a restaurant that serves Kobe?

I think it might be hard to find authentic 'Kobe beef' as it is not exported so most 'Kobe beef' are actually Waygu cows shipped over from Japan and raised in the United States to specific standards like if they were in Japan to get the 'Kobe beef' label. Its just as expensive at over $100 a pound. 'Kobe beef' and well done do not make for a good mix. It needs to be eaten rare to experience the best flavor or you will get a very expensive piece of beef that tastes plain and unexciting. You want it crispy and dark on the outside but red and juicy on the inside. You wont find steak like that at a Outback or Western Sizzlin. I had some authentic kobe beef (its also known as tajima due to it being the birthplace of the kobe beef) at the Gordon Ramsey (from Hells Kitchen reality show on Fox) restaurant in the Conrad. The dish, Waygu steak with braised heirloom vegetables and shallot-pepper jus, was beyond expectations and words cant describe the way it goes down (really melts in your mouth IMO).

Has anyone heard anything about Shoguns leasing the old Benson's space on Dickson or that a Mellow Mushroom might be coming to Fayetteville?

The last I heard (last week) was that Shogun reps had looked at the old Benson's location 3 times now and were in lease negotiations with the property owners. It wasn't a done deal at the time, but certainly sounded like it was going to come to pass. According to the person I talked to, this Dickson Street Shogun would be in addition to the new Shogun planned for Joyce Blvd. I think it would be great to have another sushi bar/restaurant on Dickson--but I would imagine the folks at the Thai Diner (or the Rice Village) can't be too thrilled about the new competition.

Please, Please, Please tell me that you have heard some definite details about a Mellow Mushroom coming to Fayetteville--what a perfect fit that would be. I figure Fayetteville is a natural expansion choice since they are everywhere else in the SouthEast. Ooooooh, I can't wait. It's hands down the best pizza I've ever had.........and I've had a LOT of pizza! :lol: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

It's odd they would look to open on Dickson while also planning to build a brand new store off Joyce but I guess they had to keep up with Rice Village's growth.

From what I hear MM is just waiting to close on a site. US and Tim's have good pizza but there is nothing like the atmosphere and pizza of Mellow Mushroom....I miss the parmesan pretzels with esperanza sauce.

Welcome axe guy to UP!!

So you're saying Shogun is going to have 2 locations in Fayetteville?

One being off Dixon and one off Joyce?

You're right about Mellow Mushroom being a great Pizza joint. That would be spectacular if they built a location downtown.

Welcome axe guy to UP!!

So you're saying Shogun is going to have 2 locations in Fayetteville?

One being off Dixon and one off Joyce?

You're right about Mellow Mushroom being a great Pizza joint. That would be spectacular if they built a location downtown.

Yeah, it sounds like 2 Shogun locations are in the works. The way I was told, the Dickson Street Shogun would be more of a 'sushi bar' only, as opposed to the full blown restaraunt on Joyce. Interesting that the successful Dickson Street Rice Village is looking to expand to Joyce Street, while the long-standing Joyce Street Shogun is looking to expand on Dickson Street. Hope there's room for all of them.

The Mellow Mushroom rocks. I'd love a downtown location--it would be a perfect fit--but I'm not sure what property is available that would fit their specs. Heck, I'll just be glad to have one anywhere in Fayetteville. As it stands now, I think you have to drive all the way to Fort Worth or Jackson, MS to find the closest existing one.

Yeah, it sounds like 2 Shogun locations are in the works. The way I was told, the Dickson Street Shogun would be more of a 'sushi bar' only, as opposed to the full blown restaraunt on Joyce. Interesting that the successful Dickson Street Rice Village is looking to expand to Joyce Street, while the long-standing Joyce Street Shogun is looking to expand on Dickson Street. Hope there's room for all of them.

The Mellow Mushroom rocks. I'd love a downtown location--it would be a perfect fit--but I'm not sure what property is available that would fit their specs. Heck, I'll just be glad to have one anywhere in Fayetteville. As it stands now, I think you have to drive all the way to Fort Worth or Jackson, MS to find the closest existing one.

I know there's a location in Austin.

I've never heard of the Mellow Mushroom but it does sound like it fits on Dickson Street. But then Anything Mushroom fits on Dickson. It's just so ummm... Hippie sounding. :D

Now if I had been eating said mushrooms I would swear you were using government mind reading machines to know what I was thinking, and so I would put my aluminum foil hat back on...

This A.D.D. moment brought to you by your favorite pizza place. If your not sure who that is, take off the hat and ask 'masons_dad1. :thumbsup::P

Has anyone heard anything about Shoguns leasing the old Benson's space on Dickson or that a Mellow Mushroom might be coming to Fayetteville?

I've eaten at the MMs before in Atlanta...took me back to the "Dazed and confused" days.

Got a suggestion...when an MM opens in Fayettville, or an Olive Garden opens in Benton County...we should reserve a table and have an urbanPlanet NWA forum get together. :thumbsup:

Speaking of Shoguns, they have finally submitted the plans to the health dept. So it won't be long before they start on constuction. The restaurant will be located just north of the corner of Steele and Joyce (near Buffalo wild wings).

Here is the Washington County link: Washington County Plans

Right in front of the new Shogun will be new Taco Bell. Also across town on Wedington there will be another Taco Bell going in next to the Bank of Fayetteville branch. They will bring the total number of Taco bells to around 6 in Fayetteville.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but another Chinese Buffet Restaurant is coming to NWA. OK Chinese Buffet will be built at 3775 North Mall Avenue, (which I assume is in the mall).

I hope it doesn't much up to it's name by being O.K.!! :P

No, it is actually not in the mall. It is further back towards Noodles and TGI Fridays I think.

Based on the address it appears that this will be a little north of TGIF in Fayetteville. TGIF's address is 3619 Mall Avenue and 3775 Mall Avenue would be on the same side of the road as TGIF just a little north. The Wal-Mart is 3919 Mall Avenue. This will be a great location. BTW the mall is 4201 North Shiloh Drive in Fayetteville.

Hunan Manor in Fayetteville

Will be closing and moving to Wedington Drive as well - didn't know if this was previously posted or not.

The new restaurant will be larger and allow better parking.

The Chinese Buffett is going into the Creekside Center across from Noodles, this is another Dixie Development. The Taco Bell is going in next to the Arby's on Joyce. A new strip mall (The Shoppes at Steele Crossing) is also going in next to it, backing up against that bluff and Steele Blvd.

Here are a few links on some of the planned developments in Steele Crossing.

http://www.hawkinscompanies.com/fliers/AR_...ce_Steele_F.pdf

http://www.lockwooddev.com/images/pdfs/The....%203.29.06.pdf

Bojangles, another fastfood chicken restaurant, is making it's way to Bentonville. The locaiton will be off South Walton Blvd near Krispy Kreme. The restaurant plans locations in Springdale, Fayetteville, Van Buren, and Ft. Smith. The location should be open in October.

That now makes Popeye's, Churchs, Chick-Fil-A, Zaxby's, Slim Chickens, and Bojangles making their way into the NWA Market.

Bojangles, another fastfood chicken restaurant, is making it's way to Bentonville. The locaiton will be off South Walton Blvd near Krispy Kreme. The restaurant plans locations in Springdale, Fayetteville, Van Buren, and Ft. Smith. The location should be open in October.

That now makes Popeye's, Churchs, Chick-Fil-A, Zaxby's, Slim Chickens, and Bojangles making their way into the NWA Market.

Thanks for letting us know Matt. I have been to one before somewhere in the mid-Atlantic or southeast and they have some pretty decent food if I remember correctly.

Archived