Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have/had been doing a lot of construction on their new patio out front and the sign was just there so that people knew they hadn't closed down while all of that was going on

I wasn't aware of that. I didn't notice any construction and the banner just seemed odd to me. It's not my favorite part of NWA, but College Avenue has a lot of potential, more than many areas of NWA.

Nice article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the new Shogun here in Fayetteville. John Pak the owner says he hopes to make this the number one restaurant in Arkansas. They apparently designed the building taking in account the great view to the south. There will be a large expanse of glass used on the southern side of the restaurant. Sounds like there will even be a Japanese garden built next to the restaurant as well. There will also be a flight of stairs leading to a sky bar. This location will be Pak's flagship restaurant. He also owns Shogun locations in Bentonville, Branson and Mesa, AZ.

Anyone have an update about the new flagship Shogun?

I found some renders that haven't been posted yet:

320166046_8352da9ccb_o.jpg

320166048_28516181e0_o.jpg

320166049_12b481274b_o.jpg

320166050_8137524b28_o.jpg

As far as College Ave. restaurants go, it looks like the good employees of Sassafras have packed up and pulled out. They weren't open but one day last week and were not open all weekend. Sunday brunch is usually a big day for them. I am afraid that's the end. They had some good people working there who gave it a valiant effort and had a loyal following. If this is the end, I hope the all get re-employed somewhere where it works out better. And I hope we get another, better financed restaurant in the Sassafras site.

Anyone have any insight on Gonzales Mexican restaurant? No activity there whatsoever.

College Ave. gets more and more barren......

Yeah it's too bad. I don't think all areas of College are so bad but that section around there just seems to be really hard for any new restaurant/business.

They have/had been doing a lot of construction on their new patio out front and the sign was just there so that people knew they hadn't closed down while all of that was going on

The Flying Burrito is also putting in a drive thru window as well. I think this section of College does okay for itself. I think it's more the southern part of College Ave that has big problems with keeping restaurants going. This also reminds me I heard Oseguerra's is now just serving the Springdale menu. Guess the upscale Mexican steakhouse idea didn't work out.

Pizza Hut in Springdale at Randall Wobbe Road and 71 and

Shake's at 71 and 412 have both closed.

Are there many Shake's still open? Seemed like for a while they were doing good and talking about expanding out into other areas.

Anyone have an update about the new flagship Shogun?

I found some renders that haven't been posted yet:

320166046_8352da9ccb_o.jpg

You've been finding all sorts of renderings on the internet Mike. Good job. :thumbsup: But no I haven't heard anymore news about Shogun. Granted they aren't the best detailed renderings, but it's not looking like anything I was expecting. I know that first rendering used an old pic because all of that area down below it looks quite different now.

I went by the site today and it doesn't look like construction has started. They did have a few signs up that said "Coming Soon: Shogun Sushi & Grill".

It looked like they had the concrete slab down at least. Shouldn't be too much longer before the building starts going up.

This is a much smaller development than the other restaurants but...the Highlands area of Bella Vista (the big western chunk of the village that's in the Gravette school district) now has a Subway. It's the first chain restaurant, I believe, to locate in that area. In fact, there are some new office parks opening there and the Subway is inside of one of them.

You've been finding all sorts of renderings on the internet Mike. Good job. :thumbsup: But no I haven't heard anymore news about Shogun. Granted they aren't the best detailed renderings, but it's not looking like anything I was expecting. I know that first rendering used an old pic because all of that area down below it looks quite different now.

Thanks! I don't think the render for Shogun is a final render at all, but more for perspective since there's very little detailing in them. If you've seen the Shogun in Bentonville or the new one in Rogers you'd see an example of how nice this one really will be.

Thanks! I don't think the render for Shogun is a final render at all, but more for perspective since there's very little detailing in them. If you've seen the Shogun in Bentonville or the new one in Rogers you'd see an example of how nice this one really will be.

They have quite a few pictures/rendering at the current Shogun location in Fayetteville. They are right inside the door of the restaurant.

New shogun in Rogers?

New shogun in Rogers?

Yes sir. Rogers will be getting a 7,600 sq.ft. upscale Shogun Steakhouse of Japan. Or at least that's what's "on the boards" at architects Miller Boskus Lack's website. Here's a link to their Rogers Shogun design using pictures of an existing restaurant: www.mbl-arch.com/pages/Shogun1

Yes sir. Rogers will be getting a 7,600 sq.ft. upscale Shogun Steakhouse of Japan. Or at least that's what's "on the boards" at architects Miller Boskus Lack's website. Here's a link to their Rogers Shogun design using pictures of an existing restaurant: www.mbl-arch.com/pages/Shogun1

Are you sure this isn't the one in Bentonville? The one in Bentonville is often considered to be in Rogers since it literally sits on the border of Rogers. Once you go past the Shogun parking lot you're pretty much in Rogers. This one does look like the one in Bentonville although I haven't been by it in a while.

Nothing too exciting to report just waiting to see when the insurance will be settled. The owners live in China so it takes even longer to get anything done.

The insurance is only going to help the owners of the building, tho. The people who had a restaurant there are undoubtedly employed somewhere else by now, with their limited operating capital gone, don't you think? Maybe the building will be fixed (tho it looks pretty bad) but Gonzales probably won't be back, don't you think?

Any insight on what will happen with Sassafras? Who owns that building??

The insurance is only going to help the owners of the building, tho. The people who had a restaurant there are undoubtedly employed somewhere else by now, with their limited operating capital gone, don't you think? Maybe the building will be fixed (tho it looks pretty bad) but Gonzales probably won't be back, don't you think?

All I know is that it seems hard for any restaurant to do very well there. I'm really hoping that once the Renaissance is completed that will really get that area going and become a hot spot. Granted the Sassafras spot is a bit further down but maybe could be close enough to get some advantage. But that's a bit off into the future and that doesn't help anyone over there right now.

Yeah, Gonzales is pretty much gone. I was just letting you know that something would at least be done with the building at some time in the future. Hopefully by spring or before but I can't prmise anything.

I have no clue what happened to Sassafras, I've been there a few times and thought that the food and service was great. But prices may have been a bit high and I always forgot about the restaurant.

Are you sure this isn't the one in Bentonville? The one in Bentonville is often considered to be in Rogers since it literally sits on the border of Rogers. Once you go past the Shogun parking lot you're pretty much in Rogers. This one does look like the one in Bentonville although I haven't been by it in a while.

I'm as sure about the planned Rogers Shogun as I am sure there's a Shogun in Bentonville, since architects Miller Boskus Lack also designed the Bentonville Shogun. Miller Boskus Lack also designed the new Shogun being constructed in Fayetteville. Why would the architect put it on their website if they weren't paid to design a Shogun in Rogers. It must be a very new project for them because they are using pictures of an existing restaurant.

I'm as sure about the planned Rogers Shogun as I am sure there's a Shogun in Bentonville, since architects Miller Boskus Lack also designed the Bentonville Shogun. Miller Boskus Lack also designed the new Shogun being constructed in Fayetteville. Why would the architect put it on their website if they weren't paid to design a Shogun in Rogers. It must be a very new project for them because they are using pictures of an existing restaurant.

I'll wait until I hear something from the media. Right now I can't look at the website for some reason. To answer your question, my guess was that it was the Bentonville Shogun all along and Miller Boskus accidently put the name Rogers in it.

I'll wait until I hear something from the media. Right now I can't look at the website for some reason. To answer your question, my guess was that it was the Bentonville Shogun all along and Miller Boskus accidently put the name Rogers in it.

Not likely since Miller Boskus Lack has a seperate entry for the Bentonville Shogun listed as a past project. Like I said it's in the early design phase since they don't have a render for the Rogers Shogun yet. It could also be that they're taking a proactive approach since Shogun expanded into Bentonville they want to be ready for a Rogers expansion. I don't count on the media for anything useful. They're usually about 6-months behind development news and searching through architect's websites usually uncovers pretty accurate information. Even if that information can be premature by several years.

Right now I can't look at the website for some reason.

I think they caught onto someone releasing information about the Rogers Shogun and either closed the website or are updating it to remove the Rogers Shogun information. :D

Not likely since Miller Boskus Lack has a seperate entry for the Bentonville Shogun listed as a past project. Like I said it's in the early design phase since they don't have a render for the Rogers Shogun yet. It could also be that they're taking a proactive approach since Shogun expanded into Bentonville they want to be ready for a Rogers expansion. I don't count on the media for anything useful. They're usually about 6-months behind development news and searching through architect's websites usually uncovers pretty accurate information. Even if that information can be premature by several years.

I think they caught onto someone releasing information about the Rogers Shogun and either closed the website or are updating it to remove the Rogers Shogun information. :D

That's another possibility. They could have just designed it so incase an expansion happens, they'll be ready.

:lol: I can't view anything on their website at all. Mike you may have discovered something now. :)

Archived