Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Thanks for the intel on this place. We have been wanting to try it. Sounds good.

I would hate to lose them off Dickson. We won't be going to Belafont very often. Too far out of town, too suburban for me.

I agree. One of the best secrets of NWA, I'd hate to loose them off of Dickson.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Old Post Office will finally be getting a new tenant. It will be a new restaurant once again and hopefully it will last longer than the last few. The restaurant will be called the Urban Table. That is really about all we know at this point.

The Old Post Office will finally be getting a new tenant. It will be a new restaurant once again and hopefully it will last longer than the last few. The restaurant will be called the Urban Table. That is really about all we know at this point.

Yeah I heard a little about this today. Sounds like the main floor will be like a sportsbar type place while the upstairs will be more of an upscale restaurant. Also heard they are trying to work something out to have some sort of patio outside.

Looks Like O'Charley's is closed like Smokey Bones. Tarps over their signage this week.

Yeah I noticed that a couple of days ago and was wondering what was going on.

That sounds pretty cool. The Urban Table will be a local family operated restaurant. That's all I could find out.

there's a soul food restuarant that recently opened next to the asian market by el camino real. it's in a yellow building that used to house a mexican restaurant. it's called mama dean's, i believe. i haven't eaten there yet, but everyone i've talked to who has says it's the sh#t. they serve sweet iced tea in mason jars! and the owner keeps offering you food until you say you've had enough. so for those who like some down-home country cookin', give it a shot.

Had Mama Dean's today for lunch.

Good food. Hamburger steak with gravy, turnip greens, fried cornbread, mashed potatoes and banana pudding and sweet tea ran me about 11.50 altogether, before tip.

I was a little surprised by the prices considering the limited menu and the location, but the food was good stuff. Worth a try.

Looks Like O'Charley's is closed like Smokey Bones. Tarps over their signage this week.

news report on KNWA just said they are attributing closures on restaurant row to problems with access. I can see that with the old Ryans/Fire Mountain location (which they mentioned) but not o'charleys. any more news?

Yeah I heard a little about this today. Sounds like the main floor will be like a sportsbar type place while the upstairs will be more of an upscale restaurant. Also heard they are trying to work something out to have some sort of patio outside.

That's the format it was when it was Hog City. The patio is really nice at that building. Good shade, landscaping, has a big outdoor fireplace for cooler weather. It's about time somebody took this location over. Maybe they'll keep up with their sales taxes and liquor license better than the Hog City owners did.

news report on KNWA just said they are attributing closures on restaurant row to problems with access. I can see that with the old Ryans/Fire Mountain location (which they mentioned) but not o'charleys. any more news?

just to clarify, you're talking about the o'charleys in fayetteville, not the rogers location, right?

That's the format it was when it was Hog City. The patio is really nice at that building. Good shade, landscaping, has a big outdoor fireplace for cooler weather. It's about time somebody took this location over. Maybe they'll keep up with their sales taxes and liquor license better than the Hog City owners did.

Hog City was poorly run, indeed.

just to clarify, you're talking about the o'charleys in fayetteville, not the rogers location, right?

O'Charley's had a terrible location. It looked like it was a lost puppy away from the rest of the pack. Olive Garden does great and it should draw for the others. As for Smokey Bones, that seems more of a company problem then location.

O'Charley's had a terrible location. It looked like it was a lost puppy away from the rest of the pack. Olive Garden does great and it should draw for the others. As for Smokey Bones, that seems more of a company problem then location.

I could see Boi de Oruo going away as well.

No information, but its just so slow there every time I go in.

That, and you have to drive past several other restaurants to get to it.

I thought of that when I saw O'Charleys closed. Most folks enter that area near the mall, and to get to O'Charleys you had to drive past several other restaurants with similar fare. Just no good reason to keep going to get there, and nothing to get excited about on the menu.

Slante, O'Charleys...

Now give us a PF Changs or something.

I could see Boi de Oruo going away as well.

Now give us a PF Changs or something.

Right on, Coco. Boi de Ouro is ridiculously overpriced and pretentious for this area. It will never make it. Went there once--that's it. I think Cleo's rocks, however. Best new restaurant in town. Love the patio.

I saw where Brioso Brazil, Smokey Bones, O'Charlie's, and Fuddruckers in NWA are all closing. Any ideas why?

I kind of thought the restaurant market was wide open in NWA.

Nobody, in my experience, is really compelled to fight the traffic up to that area of north fayetteville where they'll only find mediocre chain food. Those restaurants don't really do as well as more established local restaurants at retaining the kind of crowds that they have when they first open. That area is simply too homogenized and has a serious lack of charm, which some may argue is bad for business. Plus, they're not any cheaper than restaurants of much better quality, all they can promise is a highly polished dose of american chain efficiency and impersonal, standardized atmoshperes.

The Eat Arkansas blog reported that Fuddruckers is closing, haven't seen it reported elsewhere though. Just too many generic chain restaurants packed too close together in that area.

Here's a snippet from Brioso Brazil's press release about them closing:

"Restaurant Management Group, LLC has closed Brioso Brazil in Bentonville as of June 11, 2007.

Dave Godwin, Managing Partner of the company, said,

The Eat Arkansas blog reported that Fuddruckers is closing, haven't seen it reported elsewhere though. Just too many generic chain restaurants packed too close together in that area.I always thought Boi de Oruo would go first. Went there once and it was terrible as well as being way overpriced.

Amen on all counts. Mediocrity gets punished by the marketplace. More should go out, in my opinion. Out with the bad, in with the good!

Archived