Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan's Famous Hotdogs.

It's a good fast Food Restaurant that's famous for putting on the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest.

We have Wienershnitzel down here in Texas, there are several locations around.

Nathan's tends to be combined with other restaurants now, in Florida they are usually with Miami Subs.

Seriously, we have to get you NW Arkansans off of the fast food.

We have Wienershnitzel down here in Texas, there are several locations around.

Nathan's tends to be combined with other restaurants now, in Florida they are usually with Miami Subs.

Seriously, we have to get you NW Arkansans off of the fast food.

:lol: Yeah it is funny how we seem to be talking about it so much. The closest I usually go for fast food would be like Chick-Fil-A, I guess Flying Burrito and Qdoba could be considered fast food, although I don't quite think of them that way.

:lol: Yeah it is funny how we seem to be talking about it so much. The closest I usually go for fast food would be like Chick-Fil-A, I guess Flying Burrito and Qdoba could be considered fast food, although I don't quite think of them that way.

I think they are fast food but I'm not trying to argue (much).

Do you guys have Chipotle up there yet? They are one of the fastest growing chains in the country and McDonald's owns them now but theyr'e spinning them off soon with an IPO early next year. That chain is dressed for success.

I think they are fast food but I'm not trying to argue (much).

Do you guys have Chipotle up there yet? They are one of the fastest growing chains in the country and McDonald's owns them now but theyr'e spinning them off soon with an IPO early next year. That chain is dressed for success.

I've heard of Chipotle but no we don't have one up here yet. I might have to check their website out, might be another place I like. I think the term for some of these places is 'fast casual'. I guess it's mainly just a step above fast food.

Yeah Chipotle looks like something close to Qdoba. Outside of Texas and Florida they aren't in the south too much. To me it looks like they've mainly been going to the bigger cities and metros. Considering some other southern states with decent sized cities don't have any I'm not sure how likely they might come to Arkansas anytime soon. But if they do come here to NWA I will certainly be visiting them. :D

Yeah Chipotle looks like something close to Qdoba. Outside of Texas and Florida they aren't in the south too much. To me it looks like they've mainly been going to the bigger cities and metros. Considering some other southern states with decent sized cities don't have any I'm not sure how likely they might come to Arkansas anytime soon. But if they do come here to NWA I will certainly be visiting them. :D

They'll be everywhere in two years. They're either the next Subway or the next Krispy Kreme, we'll see.

They'll be everywhere in two years. They're either the next Subway or the next Krispy Kreme, we'll see.

They very well could be, I believe Qdoba is also really spreading out pretty quickly. It could be a fight between those two on who will be the top semi Mexican fast casual chain. I do like chipotle peppers a lot, that's one thing I wouldn't mind seeing more restaurants have around here. I need to make my own kind and give it an Arkansas twist. Smoke some peppers with hickory wood instead. :D

They very well could be, I believe Qdoba is also really spreading out pretty quickly. It could be a fight between those two on who will be the top semi Mexican fast casual chain. I do like chipotle peppers a lot, that's one thing I wouldn't mind seeing more restaurants have around here. I need to make my own kind and give it an Arkansas twist. Smoke some peppers with hickory wood instead. :D

Alas, the name has little to do with the presence of hot peppers, though reportedly Taco Bell's recent Chipotle products are reportedly an attempt to preempt the emergence of the Chipotle chain.

Of Chipotle's stores 312 of 480 have opened since 2002 and it is currently owned by McDonald's but will soon be independent.

Wendy's owns Baja Fresh, a CA-based chain with 300 stores.

Qdoba has 200 stores and is owned by West Coast and Southwest-based Jack in the Box.

La Salsa is owned by CKB and has 100 locations.

Chipotle is the heavy favorite in this race but there are two main concerns - a Krispy Kremesque overexpansion and losing the massive discounting and other resources McDonald's provides.

Alas, the name has little to do with the presence of hot peppers, though reportedly Taco Bell's recent Chipotle products are reportedly an attempt to preempt the emergence of the Chipotle chain.

Of Chipotle's stores 312 of 480 have opened since 2002 and it is currently owned by McDonald's but will soon be independent.

Wendy's owns Baja Fresh, a CA-based chain with 300 stores.

Qdoba has 200 stores and is owned by West Coast and Southwest-based Jack in the Box.

La Salsa is owned by CKB and has 100 locations.

Chipotle is the heavy favorite in this race but there are two main concerns - a Krispy Kremesque overexpansion and losing the massive discounting and other resources McDonald's provides.

Looking on their map I wouldn't have thought they would have quite that many restaurants. Although as I said it did look like they were focused in the bigger cities. I haven't even heard of Baja Fresh before. I heard after Qdoba was bought they have really been spreading out. Mayeb Qdoba has been picking some of the smaller cities and metros Chipotle hasn't hit yet.

Looking on their map I wouldn't have thought they would have quite that many restaurants. Although as I said it did look like they were focused in the bigger cities. I haven't even heard of Baja Fresh before. I heard after Qdoba was bought they have really been spreading out. Mayeb Qdoba has been picking some of the smaller cities and metros Chipotle hasn't hit yet.

I'd never heard of Qdoba before you mentioned them. Turns out they have 5 locations in Texas but all are in DFW. I would be Chipotle has more than 50, they're all over Dallas.

I'd never heard of Qdoba before you mentioned them. Turns out they have 5 locations in Texas but all are in DFW. I would be Chipotle has more than 50, they're all over Dallas.

I wonder if they're going after different markets and metros. It sounds like we'll be getting our second Qdoba later in 2006.

I like Chipotle a lot. They really should consider a few restaurants up here in Benton County. Something like that would do real well near the Wal-Mart HQ.

They'll be there soon enough. Their expansion plan is very aggressive but that will put them pretty far in the red for years. Again, I think the Krispy Kreme analogy is pretty interesting.

I'm with you, though, I love that place. There's another small chain down here with just a few locations called Freebird's that is an improved version of the same concept - basically more and better options with different sizes of burritos, etc. It started in College Station and is big with the 18-30 crowd. I'd love to put one in on Dickson.

Ok, I am really going to have to check out this Qdoba place. Sounds good.

This may have been discussed here before; forgive me if I missed it. Lemongrass Thai in Bentonville is awesome. My husband took me there tonight (our first night out in 4 months, a much-needed break from caring for elderly parents and our 2 little ones).

The atmosphere is absolutely perfect, in my opinion. We chose to sit in the traditional dining room, on the floor. (A regular dining room is also available) The tables are very low, of course, and the floor is recessed under the table so that you can sit normally (like you would in a chair) if you don't choose to sit with your legs crossed or to the side. The decor is beautiful, with silk draperies, nice candles, soft music, etc.

The food was fantastic, also. We ordered the basil beef and pad thai noodles with chicken. You can choose the level of spice on a scale of one star to five stars. We chose 3 stars, and thought it was just about right, although we like our food really spicy and will probably go to 4 next time.

Our only complaints were that the portions were on the small side, and we had to wait a while for our food. Still, it was a great experience. Not too pricey, and definitely romantic. A great place to take the lady, guys, if you want to impress her. Of course, if she doesn't like Asian food, it might be a problem, lol! In that case, forget everything I've said.

So there's my 2 cents :)

Ok, I am really going to have to check out this Qdoba place. Sounds good.

This may have been discussed here before; forgive me if I missed it. Lemongrass Thai in Bentonville is awesome. My husband took me there tonight (our first night out in 4 months, a much-needed break from caring for elderly parents and our 2 little ones).

The atmosphere is absolutely perfect, in my opinion. We chose to sit in the traditional dining room, on the floor. (A regular dining room is also available) The tables are very low, of course, and the floor is recessed under the table so that you can sit normally (like you would in a chair) if you don't choose to sit with your legs crossed or to the side. The decor is beautiful, with silk draperies, nice candles, soft music, etc.

The food was fantastic, also. We ordered the basil beef and pad thai noodles with chicken. You can choose the level of spice on a scale of one star to five stars. We chose 3 stars, and thought it was just about right, although we like our food really spicy and will probably go to 4 next time.

Our only complaints were that the portions were on the small side, and we had to wait a while for our food. Still, it was a great experience. Not too pricey, and definitely romantic. A great place to take the lady, guys, if you want to impress her. Of course, if she doesn't like Asian food, it might be a problem, lol! In that case, forget everything I've said.

So there's my 2 cents :)

Thanks for the restaurant review. I hope you're able to get out more and give us some more reviews. Especially for me since I don't get up to Benton County as much as I should. Qdoba and the Flying Burrito are both basically fast-casual burrito places. I often will alternate between the two but if I had to pick one I'd probably have to go with the Flying Burrito. Not only because it's local but I think I like their food just a little bit better overall. They also have some options Qdoba doesn't, you can get fish tacos and burritos even. But I don't think either have any Benton County locations so far. If you ever do think to come down to eat somewhere in Washington County, let me know if you need any directions.

They'll be there soon enough. Their expansion plan is very aggressive but that will put them pretty far in the red for years. Again, I think the Krispy Kreme analogy is pretty interesting.

I'm with you, though, I love that place. There's another small chain down here with just a few locations called Freebird's that is an improved version of the same concept - basically more and better options with different sizes of burritos, etc. It started in College Station and is big with the 18-30 crowd. I'd love to put one in on Dickson.

Freebirds sounds interesting. I looked up their website but never really saw a menu. The different size burritos is a nice option though. I came across seom reviews, at least some people thought they were better than Chipotle. Ever heard of Chango's? I saw one review ranking them just behind Freebirds but above Chipotle. Baja Fresh was at the bottom of that person's list. I haven't been able to see any comprisons to Qdoba though. I still think it's funny how if it's anything like Mexican influenced and a chain they avoid New Mexico. Granted I think competition would be hard for any of thoses places to go in because the local food already dominates that area. There a place out the that seemed rather similar to these type of places called Santa Fe Peppers out in New Mexico.

Hey Mith, I tried the new Whole Hog Cafe in Bentonville the other day. I'd have to say it's second only to Famous Daves.

It's like a typical Order at the counter Barbque restaurant in the Carolinas. The Ribs there are amazing and your food is ready in about 3 minutes. They also have 6 different kinds of sauces to put on your meat.

Hey Mith, I tried the new Whole Hog Cafe in Bentonville the other day. I'd have to say it's second only to Famous Daves.

It's like a typical Order at the counter Barbque restaurant in the Carolinas. The Ribs there are amazing and your food is ready in about 3 minutes. They also have 6 different kinds of sauces to put on your meat.

One thing I miss about Arkansas is the Q. I used to love Whole Hog's 6 sauces - especially the mustard-based one and the hot one.

^I also enjoyed the vinegar based sauce. I think the hot kind is called Volcano Sauce and you have to get it from behind the counter.

Supposedly they're going to put one in down here in Dallas at some point.

Does NWA have a Purple Cow? I used to work there as a teenager and was surprised to find they added a few Dallas area locations besides the ones in LR.

Archived