Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hungry!

Yea, seriously.

As to the Alfredo sauce pizza, I've never had it but wow, that can't be good for you... I do occasionally like a Greece inspired pizza though that is just olive oil, sea salt, good olives (Kalamata work nice, but some of the smaller Greek olives are better...can't think of the name off hand), pepperoncinis, and feta cheese. Not a staple, but good. Really more like a greek salad with bread and no lettuce ;)

Pizza is always a good thing to agree on too! :lol:

I was born and raised in NYC so I may be a little biased as too which style I prefer. I do have a theory as to why New York style pizza is flexible. The pizza parlor I remember best was in "the Village" (Greenwich Village). It was such a small parlor and packed with people so it was standing room only. I don't know if folding the slice of pizza was a New York tradition or coincidence, but eating a Chicago style pizza while standing in a room full of pizza-eatin' New Yawkers would have been very messy if even possible. Folding the slice of pizza was also convenient for people "on the go". You remember the opening scene in Saturday Night Fever where Tony (Johnny Travolta) folds a "double decker" pizza and chows down while he continues his strutting???

Agreed ;)

I also think you might be right about the folding. It may also have something to do with slice size. It really is hard to eat a slice out of a big pizza WITHOUT folding it. Of course, I have been folding them for so long I may have just lost the skill ;) The best NY style pizza I have ever had was in NJ :)

What part of the city are you from?

Agreed ;)

I also think you might be right about the folding. It may also have something to do with slice size. It really is hard to eat a slice out of a big pizza WITHOUT folding it. Of course, I have been folding them for so long I may have just lost the skill ;) The best NY style pizza I have ever had was in NJ :)

What part of the city are you from?

Jersey?!? Ya know I've never been to NJ so I wouldn't know the difference. ;-)

I was born in the Bronx, but my dad was in the Air Force and my family moved between Florida and NYC for the first few years of my life. I started school in the Bronx, but we moved to Manhattan to be closer to my mom's family. We lived in East Harlem as my mom is Puerto Rican and that's where all Puerto Ricans lived. We finally moved to Florida when I finished Elementary School, so really I was only partially raised in NYC. :-)

I have many fond memories growing up in NYC, aside from all the stabbings, shootings and hit-and-runs I witnessed as a child! LOL Florida was literally Heaven in comparison. But that was the early 70's and a lot has changed... sorta.

Jersey?!? Ya know I've never been to NJ so I wouldn't know the difference. ;-)

I was born in the Bronx, but my dad was in the Air Force and my family moved between Florida and NYC for the first few years of my life. I started school in the Bronx, but we moved to Manhattan to be closer to my mom's family. We lived in East Harlem as my mom is Puerto Rican and that's where all Puerto Ricans lived. We finally moved to Florida when I finished Elementary School, so really I was only partially raised in NYC. :-)

I have many fond memories growing up in NYC, aside from all the stabbings, shootings and hit-and-runs I witnessed as a child! LOL Florida was literally Heaven in comparison. But that was the early 70's and a lot has changed... sorta.

Yea, I've spent more time in upstate Jersey than NYC. I never been to the Bronx, I've driven through once but most of my NYC trips were to the city.

Be thankful you moved to a nice part of Florida, parts of the state are every bit as bad as East Harlem (maybe not as bad as EH in the 70s...but that is just the country at large changing). NYC as a whole and especially the worst parts of the city have really gotten better since then. My wife is from NJ and so is most of her family, when we go up to visit a lot of the older people still associate the city with all that is evil in the world, but the people under 35-40 see if for now instead of then and it isn't any worse than any other major city. Actually statistically, it is pretty safe. Sure there are places you still don't want to be, especially after dark, but there are expensive upscale condos being built in Harlem and the other traditionally bad places.

Like how Cabrini Green in Chicago is mostly gone now and replaced with nice places to live...

Off the topic of pizza for a minute. Cold Stone Creamery has applied for a permit for a new store at 160 E. Joyce in Fayetteville. I believe this is in the new shopping center with Guitar Center. Seems like a good location with the theater and shopping so close.

Off the topic of pizza for a minute. Cold Stone Creamery has applied for a permit for a new store at 160 E. Joyce in Fayetteville. I believe this is in the new shopping center with Guitar Center. Seems like a good location with the theater and shopping so close.

I think they were supposed to be a part of the original lineup for Nelson's Crossing.

I think they were supposed to be a part of the original lineup for Nelson's Crossing.

Yeah, I remember that. I guess they wanted too much for the space so they moved down the street. Maggie Moos is either open or getting close to being open. They have the sign up on the building at least. They are located in the remodeled building on College that used to be Noodles.

Yeah, I remember that. I guess they wanted too much for the space so they moved down the street. Maggie Moos is either open or getting close to being open. They have the sign up on the building at least. They are located in the remodeled building on College that used to be Noodles.

Suddenly there's a big rush of ice cream related store all of a sudden. A little late in the summer season for it. I wonder if all of this will end up hurting Shake's.

Suddenly there's a big rush of ice cream related store all of a sudden. A little late in the summer season for it. I wonder if all of this will end up hurting Shake's.

I miss Baskin Robbins (the last one having been in Fayetteville at the White Oak Station across from the railroad tracks as recently as last year).

another new topic: does anyone know anything about Bill's Hickory House closing down in Springdale? I drove past a couple of weeks ago, and it had a Schlotzky's sign saying 'opening soon'. Bills has been there for a LOOONG time, and it was a pretty good bbq place...

Can't say I've heard about that one. But I have noticed that it seems like we have a lot of trouble keeping BBQ places. Just seems like many of them tend to close in our area. Maybe it's just me.

Can't say I've heard about that one. But I have noticed that it seems like we have a lot of trouble keeping BBQ places. Just seems like many of them tend to close in our area. Maybe it's just me.

Fred's Hickory Inn up here in Bentonville has been around forever and it's still going strong, so it may just be you. :P

Seriously though I don't really know of any BBQ places other than Fred's and the chains in Rogers like Famous Dave's and Rib Crib. Rogers has a couple others as well as Bentonville.

Fred's Hickory Inn up here in Bentonville has been around forever and it's still going strong, so it may just be you. :P

Seriously though I don't really know of any BBQ places other than Fred's and the chains in Rogers like Famous Dave's and Rib Crib. Rogers has a couple others as well as Bentonville.

I guess I'm thinking of a number of ones here in Fayetteville that have come and gone over the years.

I went to the new Mariachi's mexican restaurant that's in the former Cafe Santa Fe space on the Fayetteville square - it was 7:30 on a Saturday night and there was one other table occupied when I got there, and one other party came in by the time I left. That doesn't bode well.

The food was good and comparatively priced, and they serve two kinds of salsa. I would return for a meal, but I wouldn't get a margarita again. It was $4.99 and wasn't very good at all.

I went to the new Mariachi's mexican restaurant that's in the former Cafe Santa Fe space on the Fayetteville square - it was 7:30 on a Saturday night and there was one other table occupied when I got there, and one other party came in by the time I left. That doesn't bode well.

The food was good and comparatively priced, and they serve two kinds of salsa. I would return for a meal, but I wouldn't get a margarita again. It was $4.99 and wasn't very good at all.

i go to taste of thai often and never see anyone in there. i'm going to check it out soon, though. they were probably banking in the renaissance being open by the original deadline. don't know if they will make it 'til it does.

I guess I need to give that place a try. Has anyone had their fajitas yst?

In other news. A new Arbys and Taco Bueno are coming to hwy 412 somewhere in west Springdale.

I have had the fajitas at Mariachi's three times, Storm. They are very good!

Mark

i go to taste of thai often and never see anyone in there. i'm going to check it out soon, though. they were probably banking in the renaissance being open by the original deadline. don't know if they will make it 'til it does.

Yeah that whole area is kinda dead right now. I don't think any of the future construction is going to help matters either. But once the Renaissance is finished I think that section of Fayetteville is going to pick up quite a bit. So it's a matter of can these restaurants hold out that long till that happens.

another new topic: does anyone know anything about Bill's Hickory House closing down in Springdale? I drove past a couple of weeks ago, and it had a Schlotzky's sign saying 'opening soon'. Bills has been there for a LOOONG time, and it was a pretty good bbq place...

Bill's Hickory House is moving to the old Pizza Hut restaurant at 71/Randall Wobbe in north Springdale. They're doing some work on the building, so it's not open yet.

Anyone heard about Smiling Jack's? I just read an article on Arkansas Business about it. Before that I don't think I'd heard anything about it. It's over on North School Ave. Sounds like it's a deli serving natural and organic food. It also uses local produce and also uses Stone Mill Bread as well.

Archived