Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

I guess it's all relative. We've been here since Bonanza was the nicest restaurant in town :)

LOL- oh my goodness- now that's a trip down memory lane. I remember my parents took me to the Bonanza in Fayetteville (now Abueolos) for a last meal before the start of my first year at the university. I remember it being a great meal and feeling like a very special occasion although I don't know if I would think now the steak was as good as I thought it was that night.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up with family in Rogers and 20 years ago you had to drive to Fayetteville for pretty much anything nicer than Bonanza. We went to Stephenson's Cider Mill on the Missouri border when we wanted to go somewhere nice. Boy have times changed.

That's right, I had forgotten about Stephenson's. I guess we also had Fred's Hickory Inn and Tale of the Trout, but it was a special occasion indeed to go to a place like that. Yeah, it's amazing, now we think nothing of dropping into a place like that for a casual lunch with a friend. I think there may be a clue there as to why America has a credit crisis. We are complaining that we are no better off than our parents, but we go through money like it's water. Eating out, high tech gizmo's with monthly media package charges, elaborate video game systems, big vacations, little vacations, and not just the latest toy for our kids, no, it has to be the latest collection of toys. I guess I'm rambling and going off topic a bit, but I do get tired of everyone blaming our politicians for the mess we've made. End rant.

For me yeah, I'm just not real big on having to drive that far to do things like go to a restaurant. I'm much more likely to eat at a Fayetteville restaurant and tend to go to Rogers on a special occasion. Granted Fayetteville doesn't have some of the restaurants Rogers does and if there was little in Fayetteville I might feel differently. But there's some good choices in Fayetteville as well. I guess it would mainly just be a problem if you were really in the mood for a particular restaurant in Rogers. Now that there are more options in Rogers I imagine there's a lot more people from Benton County who don't come down to Fayetteville as much either. Although Fayetteville still has Dickson St and I Rogers can't replicate that.

I am with you, Rod. We go out a lot--too much as Julles points out in a recent post--and we generally stay in town around Dickson or the Square (Theo's, Hugo's, Grub's, Thai Diner, Thep Thai, Taste of Thai). We occaisionally get out to "chainland" by the Mall to Noodles (not a chain but sorta feels like one) or Chilis and even more infrequently will make the trek to Rogers (I like Ruth's Chris tho they are populated by the "expense account crowd" as another recent poster mentioned) or PF Chang's. Overall, the lack of variety will convince us to drive sometimes. It never takes long to get to Rogers tho it is certainly a boring drive. The traffic during the dinner hour has never been a problem for us.

M

Meaux Dad's which was located near Target in Fayetteville has closed.

It looks like the Brazilian restaurant over between Olive Garden and Red Robin is also closed.

Thanks for the update. Looks like restaurants are still having some problems around the Mall. I do wonder about Boi D'Oro though. Seemed like I had wondered about it closing before as well. But I think they tend to have some odd hours.

Did the Boi D' Oro close? They are doing some kind of construction on the north side of the building.

In other restaurant news, there will be a new Pizza Hut in west Fayetteville near the Arvest bank. It will probably be just for delivery and carry out though.

Picasso's I believe has closed and has been bought out by another local pizza chain called Gusano's. So I guess it will be opening back up in the near future.

Also Louie's Bar and Grill will be coming to 100 E. Joyce Ste 101 at some point. I don't think it is a chain but there is a Louie's Bar and Grill in Norman, OK.

Did the Boi D' Oro close? They are doing some kind of construction on the north side of the building.

In other restaurant news, there will be a new Pizza Hut in west Fayetteville near the Arvest bank. It will probably be just for delivery and carry out though.

Picasso's I believe has closed and has been bought out by another local pizza chain called Gusano's. So I guess it will be opening back up in the near future.

Also Louie's Bar and Grill will be coming to 100 E. Joyce Ste 101 at some point. I don't think it is a chain but there is a Louie's Bar and Grill in Norman, OK.

Thanks for all the updates. I'm not sure about Boi D'Oro. I had thought they had closed before a while back but it turned out they just had some odd hours.

It's a Hal Smith Restaurant. They have several in Oklahoma.

If it's the same Gusano's that's in Bentonville and Bella Vista, which I'm pretty sure it is, then it's going to be a great addition to west Fayetteville. Of all the new pizza joints coming into NWA this one is by far my favorite.

If it's the same Gusano's that's in Bentonville and Bella Vista, which I'm pretty sure it is, then it's going to be a great addition to west Fayetteville. Of all the new pizza joints coming into NWA this one is by far my favorite.

It is. The owner lives in LR and has locations in the River Market and Conway as well.

Gusano's is fair, but for pizza give me Rosati's any day.

Red Lobster is open...at least for dinners right now.

Bah I have been everyone done here looking for my fix of Pizza and not one single place has been descent (to me).

I subscribe to the theory, the further you are away from Brooklyn the worse the Pizza gets.

Isn't there some sort of NY style pizza place somewhere in Bentonville or Rogers? I could have sworn I'd heard of one up there.

I have been looking. Where I grew up I had 7 pizza shops within walking distance ~1 mile, so it is a change in diet I anticipated when I moved, but when you ate something at least once a week for your entire post formula life it gets hard to not have withdrawals. :o

Every other NYer I have found down here tells me "you are not gonna find it," which you expect but hope it is not true when you leave NY for anywhere.

Well Rosati's is a Chicago chain I grew up with and this one tastes like back home. Not a fan of Gusano's which really doesn't taste like Chicago. If not for Rosati's, I'd have to agree that there's nothing here really like NY or Chicago. The place next to Mama Fu's is okay.

It looks like the Brazilian restaurant over between Olive Garden and Red Robin is also closed.

After speculation for a while it does appear Boi D'Ouro is still open. I saw a commercial for them last night on tv. I think the confusion comes from the fact they operate some pretty odd hours.

After speculation for a while it does appear Boi D'Ouro is still open. I saw a commercial for them last night on tv. I think the confusion comes from the fact they operate some pretty odd hours.

Oops, sorry. I think I got confused when I saw the real estate sign on the Smokey Bones building. I don't go through that area very often so I mixed the two up.

More pizza places coming to Fayetteville. I had mentioned a couple of new ones out off of Wedington in a previous post but now there are a couple of more popping up according to the NWA Business Journal. First of all the old Hoffbrau location downtown will be opening back up as Dam Goode Pies. They are out of Little Rock but I have not heard of them. Someone on here should be able to fill me in on how it is I'm sure.

Next is Geraldi's, they are opening a location on the corner of Center and University. They are out of Eureka Springs.

That makes about 5 new pizza places for Fayetteville over the next few months. I like pizza but that still seem like quite a few!

Article: MORE and MORE PIZZA

Louie's Grill and Bar will also be opening in the first couple of months of 2009. It will be located in the Shoppes at Steele Crossing (I believe that is across Joyce from the Malco theater). It will be a sports bar featuring pizza (Fayetteville needs more pizza) with an outdoor patio.

Article from the Business Journal: Louie's Grill and Bar of Fayetteville

I almost forgot to mention. I noticed the lights were on at the Fuddruckers location on Mall Avenue last night. I hadn't seen them on in a long time. It could only mean that somebody stopped by there during the day and forgot to turn them off, but I thought I'd mention it. I'm surprised they never removed their signage. Most often restaurants don't want to leave their signage up on defunct locations.

More pizza places coming to Fayetteville. I had mentioned a couple of new ones out off of Wedington in a previous post but now there are a couple of more popping up according to the NWA Business Journal. First of all the old Hoffbrau location downtown will be opening back up as Dam Goode Pies. They are out of Little Rock but I have not heard of them. Someone on here should be able to fill me in on how it is I'm sure.

Next is Geraldi's, they are opening a location on the corner of Center and University. They are out of Eureka Springs.

That makes about 5 new pizza places for Fayetteville over the next few months. I like pizza but that still seem like quite a few!

Article: MORE and MORE PIZZA

My sister in LR took me to the one on Kavanaugh once. Its tasty. I'm not a pizza snob by any means and can't tell New York from Chicago from St. Louis style pizza. It was good. DamGoode. :)

I almost forgot to mention. I noticed the lights were on at the Fuddruckers location on Mall Avenue last night. I hadn't seen them on in a long time. It could only mean that somebody stopped by there during the day and forgot to turn them off, but I thought I'd mention it. I'm surprised they never removed their signage. Most often restaurants don't want to leave their signage up on defunct locations.

I've noticed a number of vehicles parked there as well. I wonder if someone is looking to convert it to another restaurant.

Louie's Grill and Bar will also be opening in the first couple of months of 2009. It will be located in the Shoppes at Steele Crossing (I believe that is across Joyce from the Malco theater). It will be a sports bar featuring pizza (Fayetteville needs more pizza) with an outdoor patio.

Article from the Business Journal: Louie's Grill and Bar of Fayetteville

There was also an article about Dickey's BBQ coming to Bentonville, and they want to open 3 other locations in NWA over the next 2 years. Frankly they aren't my favorite BBQ, but if you ever go to Dallas you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Dickey's.

Archived