Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

I have been looking. Where I grew up I had 7 pizza shops within walking distance ~1 mile, so it is a change in diet I anticipated when I moved, but when you ate something at least once a week for your entire post formula life it gets hard to not have withdrawals. :o

Every other NYer I have found down here tells me "you are not gonna find it," which you expect but hope it is not true when you leave NY for anywhere.

Johnny Brusco's Pizza. 700 SE Walton, Bentonville. 268-6748. Brooklyn style thin slices. I haven't had it myself, but if that's what you're looking for you may want to check it out.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Brusco's Pizza. 700 SE Walton, Bentonville. 268-6748. Brooklyn style thin slices. I haven't had it myself, but if that's what you're looking for you may want to check it out.

That's the name of the place I was thinking of. Thanks for the info Andrew.

Their pizza is pretty good, but I think it is a stretch to call it Brooklyn style. Here is where all the places around here mess it up, they cook on screens or they don't cook the pies nearly hot enough. A good slice of "NYC style" pizza should have scorch marks all over it and at least a few outright burned places on it from 600-900 deg F cooking temps. There are places in Brooklyn which use COAL in their ovens because wood doesn't get hot enough. That intense heat for just a minute or two produces a crust which is VERY done on the outside, but is chewy on the inside because none of the water evaporated from the sauce.

Their pizza is pretty good, but I think it is a stretch to call it Brooklyn style. Here is where all the places around here mess it up, they cook on screens or they don't cook the pies nearly hot enough. A good slice of "NYC style" pizza should have scorch marks all over it and at least a few outright burned places on it from 600-900 deg F cooking temps. There are places in Brooklyn which use COAL in their ovens because wood doesn't get hot enough. That intense heat for just a minute or two produces a crust which is VERY done on the outside, but is chewy on the inside because none of the water evaporated from the sauce.

I am going back to NY in a few days for a few days, aside from buying a couple of suits and fedoras, I have my diet of Italian food and pizza planned out, to the point where Turkey can/will wait.

I am going back to NY in a few days for a few days, aside from buying a couple of suits and fedoras, I have my diet of Italian food and pizza planned out, to the point where Turkey can/will wait.

I'm actually in Philly (King of Prussia) for a couple of days. Any recommendations? And, I have already visited my favorite New England restaurant Legal Seafood!!! The best chowder ever...

I'm actually in Philly (King of Prussia) for a couple of days. Any recommendations? And, I have already visited my favorite New England restaurant Legal Seafood!!! The best chowder ever...

Go to Reading Terminal Station... You can get any kind of food you like. The City transit system is good. You don't need a car in Philly.

Philly may be the 6th borough of NYC, but that does not mean we visit there often, outside of its CBD it is a dump.

I stopped by the old Fuddruckers today and talked to some of a crew that were working on the building. It is going to be turned into a local Mexican restaurant. I think thats great. We don't have a good sit down Mexican restaurant in that area. I'm all in favor of more local flavor.

That's good to hear. Any idea if it will be another location of an existing Mexican restaurant or a totally new one?

I stopped by the old Fuddruckers today and talked to some of a crew that were working on the building. It is going to be turned into a local Mexican restaurant. I think thats great. We don't have a good sit down Mexican restaurant in that area. I'm all in favor of more local flavor.

Yes, this is very good news. Now if they could just get something going in the old Smokey Bones and the Meaux Dads buildings.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned before, but there is a new restaurant in place where Garfields was at the NW AR mall. It's called Garcia's. Also, the Mediterranean restaurant in this article from arkansasbusiness.com caught my interest. Personally, I love Mediterranean and Latin American Carribean cuisine. Good food is one of my passions, so I'm glad another restaurant is going into Lin's former location. It will also add much needed vibrancy to that area. I'm still praying for a PF Chang to open in Fayetteville.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned before, but there is a new restaurant in place where Garfields was at the NW AR mall. It's called Garcia's. Also, the Mediterranean restaurant in this article from arkansasbusiness.com caught my interest. Personally, I love Mediterranean and Latin American Carribean cuisine. Good food is one of my passions, so I'm glad another restaurant is going into Lin's former location. It will also add much needed vibrancy to that area. I'm still praying for a PF Chang to open in Fayetteville.

Actually, Maude (a clothing store) is in the formar Lins building at 704 N. College. The old Maude location in the 2800 block of N. College is going to be the restaurant.

Three developments in Springdale: the old Sizzler location will be a new Mexican restaurant (because we don't have nearly enough of THOSE in Springdale), the former Maria's/Ajua/fish house/family restaurant will be a Joe's Pizza, and the new Thai restaurant, Thai Secret, in the strip behind Chili's and the Igloo bank (I think it's Legacy?) is about to open.

Has anybody been to Savor? Its in the old Cool Water building down the hill on North College.

I haven't been.

A few thoughts, though. The name. Its awful. I can't imagine ever saying "Hey, lets go to Savor". Its like its trying too hard or something. I don't get it. The location is awful, too, if you ask me. That whole lot should be scraped and they need to start over with a building closer to the street. Wasn't that a grocery store at one point in the 80s? There's no need for that huge parking area out front. Of course, easier said than done.

I have noticed that if you want to know which restaurants are struggling and will close soon, just listen for their ads on the radio or on tv. Thats generally the last gasp before closing...

The Bentonville Cafe ru Orleans has closed. Curiously, a new place has gone into the former San Francisco Bread Company. World Garden. Haven't been into it yet, but it looks like sandwiches and organic type eating.

Seems like Cajun restaurants are having a hard time lately in NWA. Seems like there have been a number of closings in the past few months.

Has anybody been to Savor? Its in the old Cool Water building down the hill on North College.

I haven't been.

A few thoughts, though. The name. Its awful. I can't imagine ever saying "Hey, lets go to Savor". Its like its trying too hard or something. I don't get it. The location is awful, too, if you ask me. That whole lot should be scraped and they need to start over with a building closer to the street. Wasn't that a grocery store at one point in the 80s? There's no need for that huge parking area out front. Of course, easier said than done.

I have noticed that if you want to know which restaurants are struggling and will close soon, just listen for their ads on the radio or on tv. Thats generally the last gasp before closing...

I've wondered what it was before I moved here. I do agree with you it's a bad spot. It's so far off the road and down the hill. I think for a lot of people it's basically 'out of sight out of mind'. I've always liked the idea of moving the buildings up to street level and put parking in the back.

I've wondered what it was before I moved here. I do agree with you it's a bad spot. It's so far off the road and down the hill. I think for a lot of people it's basically 'out of sight out of mind'. I've always liked the idea of moving the buildings up to street level and put parking in the back.

I assume that if they can get people to come eat there, and they like it, they will be back. It's not like it is out of the way to go there. Location is not near as important for restaurants as quality of food, cleanliness, service, and atmosphere. Take Herman's, Hugo's, and Fred's as examples of restaurants that are quite popular and successful in spite of their locations.

Yeah you're right. If its good, people will go. Its just a challenge to start a restaurant in a less than visible location, I think, especially in Fayetteville today with so many food options. It makes me wonder how long a place can keep going trying to establish a loyal following.

I've never heard of Fred's. What is Fred's?

Yeah you're right. If its good, people will go. Its just a challenge to start a restaurant in a less than visible location, I think, especially in Fayetteville today with so many food options. It makes me wonder how long a place can keep going trying to establish a loyal following.

I've never heard of Fred's. What is Fred's?

He is probably referring to Fred's Hickory Inn, its up in the Bentonville area. Its been a long time since I have been there but it was very good the last time I had it.

I hope Herman's is a lot better looking inside than outside.... :rolleyes:

It's not much more attractive on the inside but you won't notice once you get the food. One of Fayetteville's greatest restaurants in my opinion.

Archived