Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw in Sunday's paper that another Mexican restaurant is coming to the 412/540 area. Across from the Holiday Inn Convention Center, Ta Molly's will be opening. We used to go to Ta Molly's a LOT when we lived in Texarkana; it's a very good TexMex restaurant: great specials, good food. I'm excited to have one just down the street.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been forgetting to mention this. Urban Table on the Fayetteville Square closed. Just seems hard to keep any restaurant going in the Old Post Office location. There's not always a lot of parking along the Square and wonder if that keeps people away. The idea of a trolley has been mentioned in another topic. One running from the University along Dickson St and down to the downtown Square area. Seems like that would be a good way to get more people down to the Square. Although some stores/restaurants seem to okay there many others really seem to struggle.

I checked out Savor's cocktail lounge this weekend. For those of you who don't know, its the place in the old Cool Water location.

I was surpised as how nice it was. They entire place has been totally redone and the bar/lounge is really beautiful. The lounge has a similar feel to Theo's with the low leather couches and chairs, only larger, but the way its laid out, its "cozier" (I hate that word). There are two fireplaces and the dining areas are split up into many alcoves which make the place seem really intimate. I didn't eat, but the bar was well appointed and the service was excellent.

I'd highly recommend checking out the cocktail lounge. Its a good alternative for a happy hour few in Midtown.

I checked out Savor's cocktail lounge this weekend. For those of you who don't know, its the place in the old Cool Water location.

I was surpised as how nice it was. They entire place has been totally redone and the bar/lounge is really beautiful. The lounge has a similar feel to Theo's with the low leather couches and chairs, only larger, but the way its laid out, its "cozier" (I hate that word). There are two fireplaces and the dining areas are split up into many alcoves which make the place seem really intimate. I didn't eat, but the bar was well appointed and the service was excellent.

I'd highly recommend checking out the cocktail lounge. Its a good alternative for a happy hour few in Midtown.

Thanks for that insight. We were wondering but kind of afraid to check it out as it always seems either closed or dead in there. I think it's a tough location--too far off the street--but we welcome some alternatives to the usual places we go.

M

Thanks for that insight. We were wondering but kind of afraid to check it out as it always seems either closed or dead in there. I think it's a tough location--too far off the street--but we welcome some alternatives to the usual places we go.

M

Yep, I agree the local is awful. I figured I could get a quick martini there before heading to the basketball game. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yep, I agree the local is awful. I figured I could get a quick martini there before heading to the basketball game. I was very pleasantly surprised.

That's very good news, now hopefully word will spread around the area.

Anyone know if Patron (in the former Fuddrucker building) is open yet? There is also a new mexican restaurant in the old Garfields location in the mall. It's called Garcias I belive.

I've been forgetting to mention this. Urban Table on the Fayetteville Square closed. Just seems hard to keep any restaurant going in the Old Post Office location. There's not always a lot of parking along the Square and wonder if that keeps people away. The idea of a trolley has been mentioned in another topic. One running from the University along Dickson St and down to the downtown Square area. Seems like that would be a good way to get more people down to the Square. Although some stores/restaurants seem to okay there many others really seem to struggle.

I don't think it was the location. It was the way they ran their business. Lots of problems. Very slow, prices got too high, bad service, undifferentiated. It could be done there and done right but you need a differentiated restaurant with experienced management and some marketing dollars. These guys did zero marketing. They were open for months before anyone even knew it.

I don't think it was the location. It was the way they ran their business. Lots of problems. Very slow, prices got too high, bad service, undifferentiated. It could be done there and done right but you need a differentiated restaurant with experienced management and some marketing dollars. These guys did zero marketing. They were open for months before anyone even knew it.

Interesting points. I admit I heard a little bit about them when they first opened but never really heard anything after that. Never heard any great reviews from anybody either. I don't think people disliked them, but I don't guess they stood out either. I guess I'm also taking into account the problems a number of restaurants have had at that location.

Another one bites the dust??

Just had one of my regular customers who is a (now former) employee of the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse on Dickson inform me that they will be closing almost immediately. Said employees were notified yesterday and today and that the owner had actually wanted to close earlier this week but delayed for a couple of days.

If true, I really hate for this to happen. I know that Frank Sharp sold operation of this OMS a while back, so maybe he will decide to assume operations again and keep it running. I hope there is a way for it to stay, because Dickson really can't afford to lose longtime businesses like this.

Another one bites the dust??

Just had one of my regular customers who is a (now former) employee of the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse on Dickson inform me that they will be closing almost immediately. Said employees were notified yesterday and today and that the owner had actually wanted to close earlier this week but delayed for a couple of days.

If true, I really hate for this to happen. I know that Frank Sharp sold operation of this OMS a while back, so maybe he will decide to assume operations again and keep it running. I hope there is a way for it to stay, because Dickson really can't afford to lose longtime businesses like this.

Wow, that would be weird not having Ozark Mountain Smokehouse on Dickson. I didn't realize things had gotten that bad for them.

Wow, that would be weird not having Ozark Mountain Smokehouse on Dickson. I didn't realize things had gotten that bad for them.

I am not surprised. The place is always dead every time we go there. It was certainly way too big for the amount of business they did. A shame to lose them. This economy is horrible!

How many restuarants have been in there? I can remember Hogcity and that resturant with the other location by the railroad in Flippin. I'm sure there have been many more than that.

How many restuarants have been in there? I can remember Hogcity and that resturant with the other location by the railroad in Flippin. I'm sure there have been many more than that.

At some point was Ozark Mountain Smokehouse located somewhere else? Just seems like I remember it being there for quite a while. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. Did Ozark Co op or Ozark natural Foods start off there?

I was referring to the Old PO.

Ah, I see. Yeah there was that ice cream place and then for a while a Jammin Java used part of the space as well. I got the impression Jammin Java did okay there but they eventually kicked them out because they wanted to find someone who would rent the whole building, not just part of it. I still wonder if there was a trolley that went down to the Square more people might take advantages of the restaurants and businesses located on and around the Square.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like there are so many mexican restaurants in NWA. It also seems like there are Hispanics everywhere in NWA. Lately when I've been watching KY3, there have been alot of stories about NWA and Hispanics. One story was about how NWA has had the highest percentage increase in Hispanic residents in the country for a couple of years. I guess my question is... Are there too many mexican restaurants in NWA?

It seems like there are so many mexican restaurants in NWA. It also seems like there are Hispanics everywhere in NWA. Lately when I've been watching KY3, there have been alot of stories about NWA and Hispanics. One story was about how NWA has had the highest percentage increase in Hispanic residents in the country for a couple of years. I guess my question is... Are there too many mexican restaurants in NWA?

Personally I don't think there's too many. I like Mexican food quite a bit so I don't have any problem with the amount of Mexican restaurants we have.

Personally I don't think there's too many. I like Mexican food quite a bit so I don't have any problem with the amount of Mexican restaurants we have.

Personally I'm of the same opinion as you Mith, but if the market ever becomes over-saturated with Mexican restaurants then the bad ones will get weeded out and NWA will only be left with excellent Mexican food. What a shame huh? ;)

Archived