Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the local Orange Mango down on Dickson St will be getting a second location in Fayetteville, either later this year or early next year. It will be located around the College/Joyce intersection. Also sounds like a store will be opened at some point in Tulsa.

Patron Mexican Grill (located in the old fudruckers building next to TGI Fridays) closed down on Wednesday night. Sources from the restaurant said that the owner is looking to open a higher end restaurant in the area. She stated it would be either be a Mexican (themed similar to abuelos) or Italian restaurant.

Patron Mexican Grill (located in the old fudruckers building next to TGI Fridays) closed down on Wednesday night. Sources from the restaurant said that the owner is looking to open a higher end restaurant in the area. She stated it would be either be a Mexican (themed similar to abuelos) or Italian restaurant.

Wow, that was fast. Doesn't seem like it had been open that long.

They do have their liquor license, or at least beer and wine.

Went to Hjem last night instead of our usual Theo's. It was our 7th anniversary. Food was very good. Crab appetizer and steak and wild boar chops (chops slightly undercooked). Owner, Matthew, came out and spoke to us several times. He is very nice and obviously passionate about his food. The service was so-so. Our waitress was not very attentive and seemed to think she was working in a cheap restaurant. Hjem is not that. Our bill was $112 for two dinners, an appetizer, two beers, and three glasses of wine. The atmosphere is very sterile. There were about four tables total in the main restaurant plus outdoor seating and seating at a large table in the atrium (the lobby). You cannot smell food cooking which is a shame. The can lights were turned up too high. No table cloths. Bill is not presented on a tray--just paper like steak 'n shake. Meals were exceptional but very limited. No bread, just meat and a vegetable casserole in a small dish. No greens, no starches (tho you can buy a salad). Paper menu. Indie folk music was turned up too high when we came in. Matthew told us he was going to take up part of his wife's store soon with a table or tables, and that he plans on changing the menu every three weeks or so (half of it would be different each change). Bathrooms are out in old bank lobby. Overall, a weird experience--felt like we were in NYC--except for lack of crowd at prime time on a Saturday night. Food is very good tho--it may save them--hard to predict!

M

Too many undifferentiated Mexican restaurants. It seems like we have twice as many today as we had three years ago. They all won't make it--especially in pricey mall-area locations like this one!

M

Went to Hjem last night instead of our usual Theo's. It was our 7th anniversary. Food was very good. Crab appetizer and steak and wild boar chops (chops slightly undercooked). Owner, Matthew, came out and spoke to us several times. He is very nice and obviously passionate about his food. The service was so-so. Our waitress was not very attentive and seemed to think she was working in a cheap restaurant. Hjem is not that. Our bill was $112 for two dinners, an appetizer, two beers, and three glasses of wine. The atmosphere is very sterile. There were about four tables total in the main restaurant plus outdoor seating and seating at a large table in the atrium (the lobby). You cannot smell food cooking which is a shame. The can lights were turned up too high. No table cloths. Bill is not presented on a tray--just paper like steak 'n shake. Meals were exceptional but very limited. No bread, just meat and a vegetable casserole in a small dish. No greens, no starches (tho you can buy a salad). Paper menu. Indie folk music was turned up too high when we came in. Matthew told us he was going to take up part of his wife's store soon with a table or tables, and that he plans on changing the menu every three weeks or so (half of it would be different each change). Bathrooms are out in old bank lobby. Overall, a weird experience--felt like we were in NYC--except for lack of crowd at prime time on a Saturday night. Food is very good tho--it may save them--hard to predict!

M

It seems like a unique place, hopefully they'll make it. But as you said it's hard to tell. You never know.

Too many undifferentiated Mexican restaurants. It seems like we have twice as many today as we had three years ago. They all won't make it--especially in pricey mall-area locations like this one!

M

Which might be the reason they're going for something different now, to help differentiate themselves. Don't know if we really have an 'higher end' Mexican restaurant in Fayetteville. Just like Hjem, sometimes doing something 'different' works and sometimes it doesn't. Guess we'll just have to see.

M

The first time I ate there I thought it might be just different enough to make it, but a month or so ago when I last ate there I changed my mind. Other than a few menu items, it could be any other local taco joint type Mexican place, plus the rice tasted like it had been made with dishwater...not a little spill, but a LOT of the taste in both mine and my wife's rice. I'm usually pretty forgiving, but my wife isn't as much...this pretty much crossed it off of our list. The place was also almost deserted on a beautiful Saturday at 1230 in the afternoon.

Gross! That would turn me off, for sure.

I noticed it looks like "Big River BBQ" (place operating out of old Sonic on College near Sycamore appears to be gone. I'm surprised they lasted this long--they were always dead. Wilma's nearby in the old Korean place is another. I can't see how they are going to last as there never seems to be anyone in their parking lot.

M

Looks like we're getting yet another yogurt place. Although this time it will be on campus. It will open in the upcoming Garland Center at the parking garage. Looks like it's a relatively new pretty small chain based out of College Station, TX and that they focus on colleges.

Well their job just got harder. They apparently had a fire there over the weekend. Not sure how things stand now.

Looks like McB's, a pub style restaurant, will be opening in the old Fudrucker's location up at Pinnacle Hills. It's expected to open sometime this Fall. And Mam Fu's which has a location in Bentonville is looking to open up more stores in NWA and the rest of the state by next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's on Center across from Damgood Pies, they also serve Organic beer, whatever that is!

I think those are two completely different places you are talking about. One is in EJ Ball Plaza, other on North and College about a mile from there.

M

Yeah I'm wondering if the College and North location was a misprint and meant College and Center. In other news sounds like the sports themed restaurant/bar that was to go in the old O'Charley's/Meaux Dad's location has been pushed back.

Yeah I'm wondering if the College and North location was a misprint and meant College and Center. In other news sounds like the sports themed restaurant/bar that was to go in the old O'Charley's/Meaux Dad's location has been pushed back.

The owner is in jail for fraud. I spoke with the broker on the property and he said Benchwarmers spent $250k on the interior of the building. So, it will be nice for the next group who tries to open there. They shut down all the Benchwarmers across the country and the business is now defunct.

The owner is in jail for fraud. I spoke with the broker on the property and he said Benchwarmers spent $250k on the interior of the building. So, it will be nice for the next group who tries to open there. They shut down all the Benchwarmers across the country and the business is now defunct.

Ah, I knew they were having problems but didn't realize it was that serious.

Several updates here....

Crooked Hook catfish restaurant on Hwy 412 in Springdale (the old Catfish John's building) is now closed and has re-opened as Front Porch Family Restaurant

Soul Restaurant at the corner of Joyce Blvd and Crossover (Hwy 265) has closed and will re-open soon as Spiedini Italian Grill which used to be located in Bentonville.

Chutney's is the name of the Indian food restaurant in Rogers on Walnut, near the Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Archived