Whats the deal with Dubai?

Sleek89

Why is it that in the last 5 years this city has basically sprouted from no where and looks like its on the way to having a massive amount of high rise buildings? I checked emporis and it said 239 buildings under construction and about 150 approved and I forgot how many propsed. Plus, most of the buildings are over 1,000 feet, some of them are almost 3,000. Why is this city just adding all the buildings possible within such a short time?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that in the last 5 years this city has basically sprouted from no where and looks like its on the way to having a massive amount of high rise buildings? I checked emporis and it said 239 buildings under construction and about 150 approved and I forgot how many propsed. Plus, most of the buildings are over 1,000 feet, some of them are almost 3,000. Why is this city just adding all the buildings possible within such a short time?

I think part of it has to do with some wealthy people who have some oil money. I could be wrong, I hate to stereotype here. I will also say that remember this area is different from other areas. There are some areas of the world that tend to be rather urban. With a rather desert type environment in most of that general area you don't have cities and towns all over the place as you do say in the eastern part of the US. I think people in areas like that are much more reliant on cities in certain aspects. Overall it's probably to do with a lot of factors that just happened to come about all at once to lead to such an explosion of growth. I do know there are people there trying to make serious developments so that the city isn't so reliant on oil and it will have something going for it after the oil runs out one of these days in the future.

^Dubai is not growing because of oil. Hardly any oil comes from Dubai, but oil does come from other parts of the UAE (United Arab Emirates), yet Dubai does not recieve "oil money" from them.

Dubai has always been a trade center, and lately (within the last 5 years), foreign investments have been allowed to come into the country. That is why there is a boom in activity and the fact that tourism is becoming big.

Also, keep this is mind, Dubai only has a population of around 1 Million people and New York City has around 7,000 skyscrapers. Dubai doesn't have great density, but it is impressive.

Guess I have never though of how many skyscrapers New York had. Still just amazing that they are building on such a scope there.

Countries in Europe, North America, and other Middle Eastern Companies.

With all the investments, new jobs are being created left and right.

I guess that makes me think of another aspect. The city becoming more of a cosmopolitan area with different ethnic groups.

Right.

It's practically going to be the new hangout for the rich and famous.

Well after doing some research on my own I'm beginning to realize the area isn't as homogeneous as I once thought. Not only Dubai but other areas around the gulf there. But anyway I imagine it will bring in even more people from outside the general area.

Well after doing some research on my own I'm beginning to realize the area isn't as homogeneous as I once thought. Not only Dubai but other areas around the gulf there. But anyway I imagine it will bring in even more people from outside the general area.

Yes, Cities like Doha, Abu Dhabi, Sharaj, Istanbul, Beriut, Tel-Aviv, and Kuwait City are just a few to name.

Archived