University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Here's a few projects going on at the University.

University of Arkansas Innovation Center

caei_photo_innovation_ext1.jpg

caei_photo_innovation_ext2.jpg

The 35,000 square-foot Innovation Center will anchor the Arkansas Research and Technology Park and will provide office and laboratory space for technology-intensive companies, creating an interactive culture with the University of Arkansas. The two-story glass north facade allows complete visibility into the structure.

I think this was recently completed, but not sure.

Law School Addition

caei_photo_ualaw_view3.jpg

caei_photo_ualaw_view1.jpg

This is a 3-story, 60,000 SF addition to the existing University of Arkansas Law School at Fayetteville. Tthe program provides for expanded library, classrooms, courtroom, reading rooms and other gathering places. The new structure forms a central sculpture courtyard to the north and new entry fa

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few projects going on at the University.

University of Arkansas Innovation Center

caei_photo_innovation_ext1.jpg

caei_photo_innovation_ext2.jpg

The 35,000 square-foot Innovation Center will anchor the Arkansas Research and Technology Park and will provide office and laboratory space for technology-intensive companies, creating an interactive culture with the University of Arkansas. The two-story glass north facade allows complete visibility into the structure.

I think this was recently completed, but not sure.

Law School Addition

caei_photo_ualaw_view3.jpg

caei_photo_ualaw_view1.jpg

This is a 3-story, 60,000 SF addition to the existing University of Arkansas Law School at Fayetteville. Tthe program provides for expanded library, classrooms, courtroom, reading rooms and other gathering places. The new structure forms a central sculpture courtyard to the north and new entry fa

Cool.

No offense to you NWA guys, but I'm always more interested about what's going on on-campus and on Dickson than where they're building a new strip mall, Taco Bueno, or Mickey D's.

One thing I've always wished the UA would do is pick an architectural style and stick to it to give the UA campus some homogeneity the way Bama or in Arkansas, UCA and Hendrix, seem to.

Cool.

No offense to you NWA guys, but I'm always more interested about what's going on on-campus and on Dickson than where they're building a new strip mall, Taco Bueno, or Mickey D's.

One thing I've always wished the UA would do is pick an architectural style and stick to it to give the UA campus some homogeneity the way Bama or in Arkansas, UCA and Hendrix, seem to.

I'm don't think McDonalds hasn't come up yet. :P

There are quite a few buildings that have this look to them. I see your point but I don't know if I think the U of A should feel limited to this style only.

img32249bl.jpg

img32375gv.jpg

Since this seems to be a style that's more common than anything else would you want all the buildings to try to have the feel of these types of buildings? Would using this type of stonework but maybe in a more modern type style fit what you're looking for?

I'm don't think McDonalds hasn't come up yet. :P

There are quite a few buildings that have this look to them. I see your point but I don't know if I think the U of A should feel limited to this style only.

img32249bl.jpg

img32375gv.jpg

Since this seems to be a style that's more common than anything else would you want all the buildings to try to have the feel of these types of buildings? Would using this type of stonework but maybe in a more modern type style fit what you're looking for?

That would be fine. A lot of campuses use the same red brick, such as Bama and Hendrix. I just think consistency gives the campus more unifying identity and prevents dated eyesores like Pomfret and Carlson Terrace. Even the sleekest of "modern" buildings will look dated in 30 years.

This probably should've started back when Ole Main was built, every building should've had that same style.

I heard Pomfret and Carlson Terrace both may get the axe, which is good news.

That would be fine. A lot of campuses use the same red brick, such as Bama and Hendrix. I just think consistency gives the campus more unifying identity and prevents dated eyesores like Pomfret and Carlson Terrace. Even the sleekest of "modern" buildings will look dated in 30 years.

This probably should've started back when Ole Main was built, every building should've had that same style.

I'm not sure I'd want every building looking exactly like these but I could see them trying to at least try to use the same type of stone of try to tie something into the newer buildings. In a number of ways I don't mind seeing the other styles of buildings though. I used to feel the same way about some of the buildings feeling 'dated'. But I guess I'm beginning to appreciate it more because I can see many different styles of building in one general area. But I guess you do lose out on the uniformity of the university as a whole. We're still lucky to have Old Main. There weren't too far away from having it demolished. It was based on a building at the University of Illinois. They demolished their old main building though. Not sure exactly when but I think it was back in the 70's.

Thanks for the updates Matt. Now I know what they were doing near the Law Building for certain. But I had no idea that the design would be Edward Durell Stone's. I'll certainly have to get over there and take some pics when it's done. I also need to go look for the Tech Park, I think there's already some stuff already built over there. I have some ideas where it is but I haven't been over to that section of town since they've started doing stuff over there. I was a bit surprised how much contruction was going on around the university when I was there taking pics a few weeks ago. Then again with all the money they raised I guess it should be somewhat expected. They're doing something behind the Business College also I noticed. They're renovating the Chemistry Building. I noticed it looked like they were taking down the Band Building ot at least what used to be the Band Building. And of course they've been doing work on Old Main. I know there were putting in the clock face and the new clock. But they've got scaffolding all around the building so I'm not sure if they are doing other work too or what.

The new law building isn't designed by Stone, the Fine Arts Center was. He died in 1978. Check out the progress of the new building. The new building is much needed, as the current one is frankly embarrassing.

Cool.

I'm more interested in this type of stuff too, as opposed to the latest cookie-cutter shopping centers.

You're right on about the UA architecture. During the 1930s and 1940s, it went with the Collegiate Gothic style that Mith showed. Unfortunately, from then until probably about the 1990s, the university constructed some plain or unattractive buildings. Many of the buildings were made with white brick, which is now very dated. It's good to see that the UA is building more attractive buildings during this new construction boom. Returning to red brick is a start. The campus is still wonderful, and should continue to improve.

The new law building isn't designed by Stone, the Fine Arts Center was. He died in 1978. Check out the progress of the new building. The new building is much needed, as the current one is frankly embarrassing.

I'm more interested in this type of stuff too, as opposed to the latest cookie-cutter shopping centers.

You're right on about the UA architecture. During the 1930s and 1940s, it went with the Collegiate Gothic style that Mith showed. Unfortunately, from then until probably about the 1990s, the university constructed some plain or unattractive buildings. Many of the buildings were made with white brick, which is now very dated. It's good to see that the UA is building more attractive buildings during this new construction boom. Returning to red brick is a start. The campus is still wonderful, and should continue to improve.

The names in the sidewalks are still one of my favorite features on any campus, very cool and it gives you a sense of history.

I do like the new athletic facilities, they all have style.

I should have mentioned this before this topic got moved in case some of the other Arkansas forumers don't come over here very much. I have seen this mentioned in other topics too. Some mentioning of buildings looking dated and so forth. I admit I used to feel much the same way but I guess I've changed my opinion on this. I can't say I'm a huge fan on many buildings built in the 60's and 70's but I don't think they necessarily need to be updated or anything. On campus there are a number of buildings with various architectural styles. While this may not induce a unifying theme I find it interesting to look around on campus and see architectural styles grown and change over the decades. I won't say that they are all favorites of mine but I still think it's interesting to be able to go to one general area and see the different styles. If the university did want to go to a more unifying architectural theme I don't think I'd personally pick brick. That's just a personal choice, for some reason I just don't care in general for brick buildings. They seems a bit plain to me overall. Now of course you do have buildings like Old Main that are nice. But take a building like the Walton Art Center. Personally I don't care for it a whole lot. I'd prefer a different look or style than brick. As far as the campus goes, since more buildings seem to have a white rock or limestone type used I'd just as soon they pick that theme. Maybe it's because many government buildings are traditionally white but I think it gives the buildings on campus a feeling of importance. Like I said, just my own opinion on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I seem to help kill off this topic with my 'opinion' on things I thought I'd try to revive it again. Matt mentioned some projects going on. I think I've mentioned some of these but on another topic so thought I'd also mention them over here too. They are remodeling the Chemistry Building. I'm expecting that it will probably end up being a little bit more like the Engineering Building when it's finished. The new clock should be ready to go soon. They installed the clock face last month and the clock is supposed to be working sometime later this month. I noticed when I was taking pics on campus they had they whole building surrounded with scaffolding. I'm not sure if they are doing some general maintenance on the building, but that would be my guess. Some of the last touches to the big parking deck should be finished in the next several weeks or so. I can't remember all the amenities they plan to put in. When I was taking pics on campus I noticed it looked like they were tearing down the Band Building, or what used to be the Band Building. I don't know if they were still using it in recent years. They tore down part of the Carlson Terrace Buildings and have put in a park. It's pretty close to Bud Walton Arena visible from Razorback Rd. I thoguht that was an odd choice at first but they also mentioned they wanted somewhere for more tailgating parties around gamedays so that made sense. There's also going on behind the Walton Business College Building, I haven't heard what's going on there. I think that's just about everything I've heard, other than what has been mentioned earlier in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Arkansawyer. That's very interesting news. It should fit in very nicely with the other Razorback statues on campus. I can't remember if I took many pics of them while I was on campus. Maybe I need to go back. That reminds me in my Little Rock pics there was some sort of fountain near the River Market that also had a pig/razorback statue, do you know anything about it?

Thanks for the info Arkansawyer. That's very interesting news. It should fit in very nicely with the other Razorback statues on campus. I can't remember if I took many pics of them while I was on campus. Maybe I need to go back. That reminds me in my Little Rock pics there was some sort of fountain near the River Market that also had a pig/razorback statue, do you know anything about it?

No, I don't know the story behind it. I do know that a few years ago, there were pigs all over downtown Little Rock. The Junior League organized a "Pigs on Safari" program that raised money for the Little Rock Zoo. Decorated fiberglass pigs were sponsored and placed in public spaces, but there was a really big problem with vandalism.

Speaking of UA statues, do you know the story behind the bronze one of Indians near Old Main that was dedicated a couple of years ago? The most prominent statue on campus is the one of Bill Fulbright.

No, I don't know the story behind it. I do know that a few years ago, there were pigs all over downtown Little Rock. The Junior League organized a "Pigs on Safari" program that raised money for the Little Rock Zoo. Decorated fiberglass pigs were sponsored and placed in public spaces, but there was a really big problem with vandalism.

Speaking of UA statues, do you know the story behind the bronze one of Indians near Old Main that was dedicated a couple of years ago? The most prominent statue on campus is the one of Bill Fulbright.

I remember hearing something about it when they first put it on campus. I could be wrong but I thought it was done by a Cherokee. I can't remember what the statue represents off hand though. Maybe I can find out from someone up here. It's about time we got another Razorback statue also.

Yeah, people really went to town with that one. It would've been even more bizarre on a college campus like UA. They were such easy targets.

The one in downtown LR is a common statue and it sounds like the one at UA will be a larger version of the same. There's also one at Casa Viva on University Ave in LR, at the Dallas Zoo and at the Plaza in KC.

Yeah, people really went to town with that one. It would've been even more bizarre on a college campus like UA. They were such easy targets.

The one in downtown LR is a common statue and it sounds like the one at UA will be a larger version of the same. There's also one at Casa Viva on University Ave in LR, at the Dallas Zoo and at the Plaza in KC.

I don't guess I saw the one you referred to in downtown. There was a statue at a small fountain at the River Market. I also saw a more abstract statue I took a pic of and posted it in my Pics of LR topic. I wish we had more statues around Fayetteville for that matter. Not just one campus.

That's a great addition to the art world up here in NWA.

Should fit in well with the UofA, I can't wait for this to be done.

The campus has some but I'd really like to see more statues and fountains and such in the rest of northwest Arkansas. Including the rest of Fayetteville.

That would be cool.

Heck I could see one infront of our Supercenters... Wait No.

There's an idea for Wal-mart. Maybe they can put in a small park at supercenters along with the statue and/or fountain. A little vegetation, a little playground for the kids. :lol:

Archived