University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really a project, but I thought this topic fit this best. There was an article in the Northwest Arkansas section of today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the university's Black Studies program. Apparently they just restarted it last year. There's not much of a budget for it so far. But many would like it to become a bigger program at the U of A. While there isn't much of an Afro-American community in northwest Arkansas, there are in other areas of the state. Perhaps more Afro-American high school students in the rest of the state would be more interested in going to the U of A if there was a bigger Black Studies. Maybe they could even consider eventually making it a major.

Here's some pics around Kimpel Hall and the Walton Business Building or whatever they're calling it. I'm not sure if all of this is the same project or not. I know they're adding on to the Business Building but I didn't know it could be by this much. But some of this might be part of another project.

img56123ri.jpg

img56136af.jpg

img56143fb.jpg

img56151gf.jpg

img56161tb.jpg

On the picture of the parking lot where Maple hall is suppose to go....the dorm willl acutally built just south of that parking lot in a green space....the parking lot is suppose to stay. Also the Willard Walker Graduate Building will be a separte building from the Walton College of Business, however they will be connected with a sky walk. Also right behind Kimpel is those pictures are actually where the Center for Excellence Education will be built. So yes they are building two buildings there.

Also here is a link to what the Willard Walker Grad. building will look like.

http://waltoncollege.uark.edu/walkerhall/d...=buildingimages

And here is a link about a little information about the Center for Academic Excellence

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/5540.htm

On the picture of the parking lot where Maple hall is suppose to go....the dorm willl acutally built just south of that parking lot in a green space....the parking lot is suppose to stay. Also the Willard Walker Graduate Building will be a separte building from the Walton College of Business, however they will be connected with a sky walk. Also right behind Kimpel is those pictures are actually where the Center for Excellence Education will be built. So yes they are building two buildings there.

Also here is a link to what the Willard Walker Grad. building will look like.

http://waltoncollege.uark.edu/walkerhall/d...=buildingimages

And here is a link about a little information about the Center for Academic Excellence

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/5540.htm

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the info Razorbackfan.

This isn't a project but it does deal with the U of A. Looks like university will take over publishing the Meteorite magazine. It had been published in New Zealand, but the founder had to stop because of health problems. They were going to stop making the magazine but the U of A decided to pick it up. It will apparently publish it's first magazine in February.

This isn't a project but it does deal with the U of A. Looks like university will take over publishing the Meteorite magazine. It had been published in New Zealand, but the founder had to stop because of health problems. They were going to stop making the magazine but the U of A decided to pick it up. It will apparently publish it's first magazine in February.

I heard about that a week ago.

Is this a space magazine?

• 3 weeks later...

More news that deals with the U of A but it's not about developments. Preisdent Bush made comments earlier in the week about Americans needing to learn more foreign languages. In particular ones that could play important roles in the future. We all know the stereotype of Americans not wanting to learn foreign languages. Even when we do tend to learn a foreign language it's usually something from Europe. But two languages that could play bigger roles in the near future are Arabic and Chinese. Only two universities offer Arabic, the U of A and Arkansas State. I haven't been able to find out if anyone else aside from the U of A offers Chinese. The U of A had 75 students taking Arabic and 87 taking Chinese in the fall semester. Apparently the U of A is soon going to start offering a couple of classes in Persian, the language in Iran.

The U of A had 75 students taking Arabic and 87 taking Chinese in the fall semester. Apparently the U of A is soon going to start offering a couple of classes in Persian, the language in Iran.

This is very welcomed news to me, hopefully it will increase enrollment in Middle East Studies.

It's a little strange to me but Bush promoting foreign language, i.e. Arabic, seems to go against his Police State policies against foreign sympathy. I mean Bush doesn't want anything to do with the Kyoto Accord because it's headed by the Japanese and the U.S. is the only country that backed out due to the restrictions it would impose on Bush's corporate sponsors. I wonder if Bush has a hidden agenda about Americans learning foreign languages. Not long ago a UA student was arrested for wanting to aid Muslims in Iraq, so I guess as long as you speak Arabic but don't be Arabic it's ok.

He was actually arrested for apparently aiding the Palestinian Islamic Ji-Had Movement.

Well he was released because they had nothing to hold him on other than exercising his First Amendment right or at least one of those Amendments that allows for freedom of expression since he didn't actually join any Palestinian movement. But what I mean is that it seems like hypocrisy to say in one sentence that all Muslims need to be converted to Chritianity then say Americans should learn the language most Muslims speak. Bush's plan to convert Muslims to Christianity begins with making them a Democratic nation, but Bush did call the war in Iraq a Crusade.

It's a little strange to me but Bush promoting foreign language, i.e. Arabic, seems to go against his Police State policies against foreign sympathy. I mean Bush doesn't want anything to do with the Kyoto Accord because it's headed by the Japanese and the U.S. is the only country that backed out due to the restrictions it would impose on Bush's corporate sponsors. I wonder if Bush has a hidden agenda about Americans learning foreign languages. Not long ago a UA student was arrested for wanting to aid Muslims in Iraq, so I guess as long as you speak Arabic but don't be Arabic it's ok.

Partly I think it's just because Americans seem more hesitant to learn foreign languages. I wouldn't even necessarily think it goes against antisympathy either. He probably is looking at it in more terms as 'know thy enemy' more than anything. But seriously both Arabic and Chinese are going to be two languages that are going to play important roles in the near future. As China emerges as a major player in the world and as oil supplies dwindle and a lot of countries will have to become a lot more dependant on Middle Eastern oil.

Archived