University of Arkansas Projects

mcheiss

Attended the Arkansas Archeological Society open house yesterday at their research facility on Hatch Avenue (north Fayetteville near the Equestrian Center) ... such an amazing collection of artifacts and pieces discovered throughout Arkansas.  They have a great facility for conservation, study and educational interpretation - but it unfortunate this collection cannot be on permanent exhibition for the general public to appreciate the artistic and cultural importance (I'd rather see the University spend less on the football stadium and build a permanent museum but realize thats not the popular opinion).

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the area is ripe for a museum that would have a permanent UA wing and also space for traveling exibitions via various orgs like the Smithsonian. Shocked this hasn't come about yet. I can envision a campus with this museum and the beginnings of a zoo where the UA could unndertake a zoological and vetenary sciences expansion.

A veterinary school makes sense.  A dental school attached to UAMSNW also makes sense.

The BOT approved a new 70,000 SF "student success center" to be built directly north of Old Main, next to Memorial Hall.  It's supposed to mimic the gothic styles of Memorial and Ozark (Gearhardt) Halls.  It should be nice.  I can't wait to see renderings.

• 3 weeks later...

So this is the building going up between Government Avenue and Hill Avenue ... it's the Library Storage facility for the U of A.   

I was curious what it was as I drive by that area a few times a week, but moreso because of how it is being constructed (seems odd to see that amount of timber used to construct a 27,000 sq ft building).  Article on 'Arkansas Business' describes it as cross-laminate timber technology which is a new construction material to the US.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/121561/ua-turns-to-wood-in-building-projects

LS-UofA01.jpg

LS-UofA02.jpg

LS-UofA03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived